• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Jay’s Philosophies on Trial

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:25 AM

Pride: it’s an interesting character trait. Some might even call it a character flaw. And I, like many here at ImmInst, and possessed of it to some degree or another.

As such, when one tries defend proposition A, and someone else attacks a closely related proposition A*, we are sometimes found defending A* with much zeal, because we feel that failing to do so would somehow give ground in our stance on proposition A. It may not even matter whether we really believe that A* is true.

Of course, we may also defend proposition B, and an attack on B* may also spur us to a similar defense. And then again, there may be a proposition C which we hold to be true, and an attack on C* will compel us to defend C*. And it gets really thorny when A and C don’t seem to have much in common, but A* and C* both seem to imply a proposition D, so that we end up defending proposition D from attack, and ironically we’re not even sure if we’re defending it because of our stance on proposition A or proposition C.

My Dilemma

Thus, we turn to the current drama, where I have been found making statements that express a serious lack of belief in the future chances of cryonics to revive “me”. I’ve even made statements that the potentiality of personhood, frozen or vitrified in a block of chemical soup, doesn’t have the inherent “human rights” we so gladly give to every living human being, and hence that flippant or even intentional destruction of such potential persons is no more a murder than refusing to procreate with one’s significant other. In the eyes of God, perhaps, but not in the eyes of man (unless the man is a prophet and knows the will of God…).

The Worth of Data

Note that I have conceded that there’s great worth in such a block of chemical soup, much as the Louvre in Paris has much worth: not because the Louvre is the humans whose art it contains, but merely because of the information about such persons it preserves, and for the value that we derive from that art. Destruction of a cryonics patient (in the absence of permission to do so) might not be “murder”, then, but it would certainly be just as wrong and detestable as a sociopath’s intentionally burning down the Louvre and all the priceless treasures contained therein.

For example, a person cryonically preserved in the 1980’s, who may have been born in the 1920’s or earlier, and who may have fought in World War II, is a person who will be of great worth to the world of 2060 or 2090, or whenever the technology exists to revive a copy of that person. While a few rare people born in the same year may still be alive, at 140 or 160 or 180 years of age, such people will be products of the intervening century of political and social and cultural events and influences that such a person would have experienced, while the cryonics patient would retain the actual character of a person from the 1980’s. Such a person would be very unique, and add much value to the society he or she were revived in.

How Did We Get Here?

Anyway, how this whole drama got started is something I’ve been pondering lately, and I’ve reached some rather startling conclusions. First of all, I had gut reactions to various hypothetical scenarios, reactions which prevented me from really addressing each scenario rationally. Second, however, I’ve found that my gut reactions were in fact based not on my own mystical beliefs, but on my disdain for the mystical beliefs of others, beliefs that the other people didn’t realize were mystical. In other words, it was not I that was guilty of introducing mysticism to these debates, it was the others, those who accused me of mysticism, who introduced it. My feisty defensiveness was not an attempt to redeem myself (though it probably looked that way), but an expression of my unconscious dissatisfaction with the mystical beliefs of others. A fairly ironic turn of events, but one that does not excuse my stance on cryonics.

First, I should be clear that the duplication problem I’ve raised with respect to cryonics isn’t a problem with cryonics per se, though it does apply to every, or at least, almost every person cryonically preserved during the 20th century. Brian Wowk was quite correct in pointing this out, and at some point in the last eight months, I’d all but let myself forget this distinction. Should we eventually perfect a cryonics/revival technique that doesn’t require technologies so sophisticated that they could be used to create copies, then my problems with duplication become non-issues. Other issues remain, but those are the subject of another lengthy monologue.

Second, it will become clear that most of my problems with duplication have been based not on the problems inherent in duplication, but on the mystical ways that people think duplication can be achieved. In retrospect, my objections to these absurd means of duplication ended up being justified, but more importantly, my objections weren’t to duplication proper, but to these bastardized forms of duplication. Hence the duplication problem remains largely untackled. It’s like attempting to assassinate a ruthless dictator, only to discover that you in fact killed a body double. There’s a certain visceral satisfaction in the successful kill, in overcoming the defenses around the double that were supposedly as good as those around the original. But there’s still a latent feeling of dissatisfaction for having failed to get the real target, and an appreciation that the real target is not as weakly defended as once supposed.

Jay’s Inconsistent Philosophy

Without further ado, then, let us begin a journey into the mind of a Jay D. Fox.

At the end of last year, I entered into some philosophical debates here at ImmInst. I suppose, before I get to those, I should lay some background about me.

As a teenager, I was your typical cybergeek: very strong in math and physics, as well as a decent computer programmer. By the age of 12, I had studied and fairly well absorbed the equivalents of both first-semester college calculus and college physics (classical mechanics), as well as a few books on particle physics, special and general relativity, etc., and even some more speculative works on wormholes and FTL physics and time travel.

(To be honest, I didn’t understand more than the mere concepts of general relativity, since I didn’t learn how the tensor calculus worked until I was in college. But as for particle physics, down to what we knew of quarks at the time (this was a little over 15 years ago), I was about as well-versed as your typical freshmen or sophomore in college taking a physics major.)

So, at the age of 12, 13, etc., I had this strong understanding of math and physics, and being a programmer, I had a very analytical, information-driven view of the world and how it worked. I was thus into the whole sci-fi genre of uploading and virtual reality, etc. (and of course, space travel and exploration as well…)

Doubts and Religion

Of course, at some point near the end of my high school career, I began to have doubts about uploading and the general cyberpunk genre. Although there was something rather cool about the thought that a cyberhacker would somehow be “in the machine”, so that, for example, countermeasures could capture him, torture him, destroy him, etc., I began to realize that this was rather silly. What more could someone do as a security measure, but to terminate one’s connection to wherever they were in the network. It’s not like someone could actually become trapped in cyberspace and cut off from his physical body. It’s not like the connection could be cut, and the person’s consciousness would be stuck in cyberspace, while the empty husk of their body fell limp and dead, devoid of memories or life. In other words, the person’s mind must still be operating in their brain, and at best, they are simply using remote sensory information to make it “seem” like they are in the machine. But they’re not.

Besides, what more would an uploaded version of someone be but a copy? For that matter, if a “backup” was made of someone, would someone really be revived when they are blown up and someone restores the backup? What if it turned out the original wasn’t killed in the explosion?

Note: This was before I had seen so-called gradual or slow uploading scenarios, where neuron after neuron would be replaced by a synthetic (hardware and/or software version) that was functionally the same, so that at no point would the objective nature of one’s consciousness be altered (and we’ll leave the subjective nature for another day). Admittedly, these gradual scenarios held some fascination for me, until I realized that there was something very disturbing to me about software “consciousness”, a topic I’ll address in a separate thread, for it involves much of the same mysticism as duplication scenarios, and then some.

At any rate, these doubts came at a time when I was friends with several Christians, and I even began to date one, and in the process of exploring my doubts, I found myself yearning for something that could explain what I thought at the time was unexplainable by science.

(It is unfortunate that where I found doubts in science's ability to explain certain fundamental philosophical questions, I in reality was finding justifiable doubts in the mystical views that other people were passing off as materialism. Hence my journey into religion was spawned not by a failure of science, but by a failure of people calling themselves scientists and atheists.)

And so it was that I converted to Christianity. It was a painful process, as you can well imagine, because I was not versed in the language of prayer. I felt like I was talking to myself, and felt rather hypocritical for the first year or two.

And yet, I felt that atheism was just as lacking in answers, and materialism was just as irrational (since I hadn't been introduced to a consistent, non-mystical view of materialism with respect to consciousness), so I persevered and eventually quelled most of my doubts about Christianity. A few months ago, this world view finally fell apart, and quite rapidly at that, though the holes in the dyke had been growing more numerous for a year or two. For the curious, I no longer consider myself a Christian, but more of an agnostic, leaning atheist.

This ten-year journey into religion has given me new insights into the hypocritical worldview of those who attack and denigrate Christians and other religionists, and thus I am fairly well prepared, even if only at a subconscious level, to detect the mystical beliefs of others. After detecting such mystical beliefs in self-professed atheists and materialists, I unfortunately end up expressing a fair amount of disdain for their silly beliefs, and this disdain comes across as quite a bit of a rant. And ranting does not a good argument make. Thus, even when I detect these absurd and silly beliefs, I am still ill-equipped to present rational arguments that might convince these people of the mystical beliefs they cling to like religion itself. For all my grasp of math and physics, the games of philosophy and logic (and chess) still elude my skillset.

Cryonics

Moving along to the current debates: Up until I came to ImmInst, I had had only the smallest of introductions to the idea of cryonics, and at the time, I thought the whole thing was rather stupid. Of course, regardless of how much I knew about information theory, I was looking at the problem from a rather straightforward point of view: how do you thaw and revive someone with extensive freezing damage?

My answer? You don’t. I mean, duh!

I was looking at it from the point of view of creating the necessary cryoprotectants and rapid cooling procedures necessary to avoid the freezing damage, and the equally or more challenging detoxification process during thawing. I knew we weren’t anywhere near there yet, so that everyone frozen to date was essentially dead, with no hope of resuscitation.

After coming to ImmInst, I learned about the more advanced things that nanotechnology would eventually (probably) be able to do, such as repair of every cell and cellular organelle and macromolecule (e.g. DNA) in the body. I had known about nanotech before, but never put the two ideas together. Suddenly, I saw cryonics as a very real and powerful technology to preserve a person prior to death, and to eventually bring them back!

Revival?

But then, I entered into some debates about the “soul” and “what constitutes ‘me’”, etc., and in the process, I quickly began to be disillusioned by the prospects of cryonics. Perhaps it was just the tone of the debates, with people talking about using nanotech to scan the original block of organic chemicals, frozen or vitrified in ice or glassy water. From this scan, a simulation could be used to bring the brain back to life in a virtual world, one probably much like the world the person left behind at their clinical death. The person would be brought up to speed on the modern world, by a very slow process, perhaps even by simply reliving history at the pace it actually happened, perhaps slightly accelerated (two years for every one, or three for one, etc.). In other words, if someone was cryonically preserved in the year 1985, and then revived in 2070, the person would relive 85 years of subjective time, or at least 10 or 20, seeing the changes in society, the wars and conflicts and plagues and accidents, the rise of nanotech and the Singularity and whatever else happens between now and 2070. This subjective time would be used to acclimate the person to the modern world. Of course, the computer running this simulation would be extremely fast, so while this re-education might take 10 or 85 years of subjective time to the person being revived, it would only take maybe a year, or a month, or a day, or an hour, of objective time in the real world.

After being brought up to speed, the person in the simulation would then be transferred—if he or she wishes, anyway; the person could also just ask to stay in “cybserspace”—into a physical body, and hence the person would be revived in the physical world, ready to assimilate into the modern culture and society.

This process almost appealed to me, until I realized that this was very much unlike going to sleep and waking up, or even waking from a coma. This was an entirely new copy of the original person.

Well then, I thought, in order for this to work, we don’t need to think about cryonics or advanced nanotech at all. We just need to consider the problem of duplicates. Can creating a duplicate of me preserve “me”? If not, cryonics in its current form won’t work, so there’s no point thinking about it. I mean, it’ll be great for others, because if I can’t objectively tell the difference, then it won’t bother me if someone else is a copy. But as a way for me to cheat death, it wouldn’t work.

Perhaps this is where my idea of cryonics diverged from Brian Wowk’s. Brian is concerned with improving the techniques of cryonics sufficiently to make unnecessary advanced nanotech of the variety mentioned above (i.e. the scan-and-copy variety).

Should we get to that stage in cryonics technology, which I think is quite likely but not a foregone conclusion, then the debate will change focus. But in considering the current state of the art, or worse yet, the state of cryonics ten or twenty or thirty years ago, we’re not really talking about cryonics: revival would boil down to the question of duplicates.

Duplication

In the debates we had last year, the duplication problem was taken up in earnest. There were those who argued that if you created an exact copy of someone, down to the last atom, then that copy would subjectively remain the same person. Not just objectively, but subjectively. In other words, if Brian somehow created a copy of me in the next room over, my stream of consciousness could literally “jump” to that copy. If Brian sat me down in a white room in an office in Atlanta, and then made a copy of me in an identical white room in Paris, I could walk into the room in Atlanta, and walk out in Paris, and not have any clue what was going on. My subjective awareness could quite literally jump to my doppelganger in Paris. Of course, being in Paris, perhaps Brian could take me to see the Louvre!

I’ll leave this atom-for-atom copy for a few minutes, because in looking back over where these various debates have gone, I realize that this issue is still the thorniest, and is probably unsolvable at this time, neither by any of today’s philosophical paradigms, nor by the best theories of physics and psychology. Unless, of course, we can prove the quantum nature of consciousness, in which case we can prove it’s not duplicable (since quantum states aren’t duplicable: the act of copying destroys the original quantum state), and in any case, we'd still need to answer the question of what happens in deep sleep (i.e., if there are quantum states involved in consciousness, are they preserved in some way during sleep, or do they effectively come undone due to the lack of many types of brain activity?). But we’re a long way from having a plausible quantum theory of consciousness (though I’ve read some fun theories from the 1980’s or 1990’s that apparently must not have panned out).

Whatever pride we may take in trying to solve this problem, the best we can come up with is opinions. Brian has an opinion that an atomic copy of me must still be “me”. I have a different opinion. Osiris has yet another opinion, fairly similar to mine, and Don has an opinion similar to Brian’s. None of us is “right”, in the sense that none of us can physically or logically prove our own position, nor disprove the others’.

Bastardized Forms of Duplication

However, there were some who felt that far less-than-exact duplicates were necessary to maintain one’s subjectivity, and this is where some very mystical, new age sort of views came into play. I say “new age”, because these views rather reminded me of crystal worshippers and Gaia worshippers, etc. Rather fun points of view, with an inherent attractiveness based on beauty and mysticism, but, um, not really belonging in a rational debate.

The first was the notion that if I copied someone else’s memories, and their personality traits, their beliefs, behavioral patterns, and preferences, their cognitive abilities, and emotional response system, etc., that I would somehow subjectively “become” that person. This is actually one of the original ideas that turned me off to “materialism” in my youth, and I was surprised to see it espoused by people here at Imminst.

As I said, there's this notion that if I copied someone else's memories, etc., that the person would subjectively live on in the copy. The idea being, of course, that you could clone a person, and then teach that clone everything we know about the original person’s life, and then that person will somehow subjectively live on in the clone, even if already dead. Not just objectively, but subjectively.

The idea is utter nonsense, or at least my gut told me so, and yet these people told me this with a rather straight face. Well, I assume they had on a straight face, because of course, we’re communicating via a form of delayed text chat. But metaphorically speaking, they said it with a straight face.

Between this, and the duplicates problem in general, I was left with a rather bad taste in my mouth regarding cryonics. And this is rather unfortunate, because it has left me with a knee-jerk reaction to anything cryonics- or duplicates-related. It has left me in a position where I have a certain amount of trouble debating various things rationally, because my reactions are so tainted by the memories of these people who argued very seriously that just copying the memories of someone’s life would be sufficient to allow that person to subjectively live again.

Bainbridge and Personality Capture

My shock was thus pushed to its limits when I read the essay by William Sims Bainbridge in ImmInst’s first book, The Scientific Conquest of Death. This was only a couple weeks ago, and it’s a shame I wasn’t able to get my hands on a copy of the book much sooner than late June or Early July of this year.

At any rate, here was Bainbridge, basically arguing that we could simply make a lot of observations about someone’s life, and then use this information to create a copy of that person’s personality. This itself doesn’t really bother me, and it’s actually quite a fascinating idea, to tell the truth: fascinating, that is, as long as we're being clear that the copy will be just that, a copy, with no real connection to the original.

But what did bother me, and rather vehemently, was that he argued that this personality could basically be used to continue a person’s existence, whether in a new human body, or more likely, in one or more robotic bodies. Objectively speaking, I don’t even really have a problem with this, and it’s a pretty neat idea.

But from my reading of this essay, he seemed to be implying that one would literally, or that is to say, subjectively live on in the new body. He doesn’t use the word subjective, not until he’s describing the possibility of having one’s experiences through a robotic body, and at this point, he’s speaking of the fact that, subjectively speaking, one is “located” where the sensory data is collected, not where one’s consciousness is being processed. So when he did bring up subjectivity, he did it in a way I agree with, and which has nothing to do with the personality copies he’s suggesting.

Having failed to mention subjectivity in direct relation to the personality copies he’s suggesting, perhaps he harmlessly means these copies to be objective duplicates, wherein the original truly can “die” subjectively and be lost to oblivion, regardless of whether the duplicate lives on. However, the context of the essay very strongly implies the opposite, that he is very seriously offering a method to preserve one’s subjective life in the face of possible death.

And here it was again, then: this idea that a copy of one’s memories and personality is enough for one to subjectively live on, regardless of the condition of the original.

Memories and Subjective Awareness

This brought me to make my analogy of the Black Knight, to point out that the Black Knight could be played by different actors, and hence, just because we can know with some degree of objective certainty that the Black Knight is still the Black Knight, that doesn’t mean that the same actor is playing him, i.e. that the Black Knight is still subjectively the same.

Of course, the actor in the Black Knight is an actor, and the most we can say for sure about our subjective awareness is that we have an observer. We’ll leave the issue of classical free will aside for another day.

Perhaps a better analogy, then, to the Black Knight, is a movie. I can go watch a movie, and someone else can go watch the same movie. Does that make us the same exact person at the moments we’re each watching the same movie? Is our subjective experience of that movie the same? No, that’s nonsense.

Taken a step further, we could record 30 seconds of my experiences, including my reminiscing on my own memories, and my awareness and experience of my own thoughts, and then take another person’s brain, and wire up a hundred million or a billion or ten billions nanowires to various places in her brain, and temporarily inhibit a similar number of neurons and/or synapses, and then play back the 30-second sequence of my life. (This actually reminds me of the movie Strange Days, though I’m sure the concept predates the movie by at least a couple decades.) Admittedly, that person’s observer may not be wired properly to handle the full gamut of my experiences: for example, a female might be unable to fully experience anything specific to the male anatomy, although she can probably at least get a pretty close sensory experience to “get a feel for it”, so to speak. After all, I can imagine feeling a phantom “thumb” extending from the inside edge of my foot (it has itched for years!), so why can’t she feel a phantom penis?

Is it subjectively “me” observing this movie of my life? No, it’s the other person. She’s experiencing it. After unhooking the nanowires, and uninhibiting the neurons we hijacked, the person may or may not even remember having experienced my life (depending on whether we had to hijack the most or all of the short-term memory centers of the brain), but it won’t be “me” that experienced it. Assuming the person’s short-term memory was uninhibited, she would have this 30-second memory of not only the things I saw and heard and tasted, etc., but whatever memories I relived, and whatever thoughts I experienced, perhaps even in a language she doesn’t understand, yet she would have understood at the time because I understood the language. And depending on how well the short-term memory could sort out all these details, these details could even get incorporated into this person’s long-term memory.

Nevertheless, it was this other person, and not “me”, that experienced this 30-second recording of my experiences.

Our memories do not make our subjective observers. At most, memories are used by our brains as part of the models used in creating thoughts, the thoughts we then observe, so that there’s the illusion that the memories make the observer because the memories affect our thoughts about what we experience. Reflexive changes in the observation machinery, which may have occurred during events that laid down memories, could also affect our observations, such that we correlate the changes in the observation machinery with the memories, and then make the extrapolation that the memories are part of the observation machinery. But no, the changes in the observation machinery happened as a result of the neural inputs that also laid down memories, so that (using A for our observer, and B for our memories) A doesn’t cause B, neither does B cause A, but A and B were caused by C (some past neural event or observation), and B isn’t necessary for A. Memories don’t make the observer. They at most act as a lens, affecting certain qualities of observation, but this filtering of data prior to observation doesn’t change the underlying observer, only limits what the observer can and can’t observe.

Memories, in and of themselves, are nothing more than a few bits of information (few being a relative term here, since I don’t know how many bits we’re really talking about, whether its hundreds, thousands, millions, or billions…). A memory of the color red isn’t even “stored redness”. It’s not like there’s a set of neurons that captured the very qualia of redness itself. No, it’s just a few bits of information, which, like the bits of information that travel down our optic nerves, can be re-experienced in the moment. The memories don’t make our observer. The observer is separate from the memories.

Copy the memories, and play them through a different observer, and it’s not the same person subjectively. Objectively, to the rest of the world, it might seem like it’s the same person, but subjectively, it’s not.

And this is where I began to realize that the atomic copy point of view might have some merit after all. You see, if the atomic copy point of view were based on the mere copying of memories, skills, emotions, etc., then yes, the atomic copy would not subjectively be the original. Why? Because a different observer is quite capable of observing the old memories, and yet remaining a distinct, different entity.

Thus, creating a clone and teaching it everything we know about the original will never suffice to copy the subjective awareness (I apologize to those who plan on doing this, but you’re not going to survive death this way, no more than I will survive death through my daughter, or through a random stranger, for that matter), no more than identical twins will have the same fingerprints. In fact, even in the case of a genetic clone, the idea that the internal observer is the same as the original’s is orders of magnitude less likely than a clone having the same fingerprints (given the larger size and complexity of the observation machinery), and we already know that twins, and hence clones, don’t have the same fingerprints, and hence it is overwhelmingly unlikely that they would have the same “observation” machinery, at least at the atomic level, but most likely not even at the neuronal-interneuronal level either.

Can the “Observer” Be Copied?

Thus, having satisfied my disdain for the utterly absurd mysticism of those who believe they can subjectively continue their own lives through clones, even clones that have been trained to have the same memories, I began to lose one of those knee-jerk reactions I had to cryonics.

Here it was that I found a proposition A (You can’t subjectively survive by transferring all your memories, personality traits, beliefs, etc., into a clone, or worse yet, a computer), which led to my defending a related proposition A* (You can’t preserve your subjective identity by performing an atomic-resolution copy, regardless of the fact that your memories, personality traits, beliefs, etc., are maintained), which led to my defending a further removed proposition D (cryonics can’t work, because revival requires making a duplicate of you, so the revived person is not you). The aforementioned propositions C and C* aren’t relevant to the current discussion, but since I mentioned them before, I’ll mention them again: the duplication problem isn’t the only problem I have with cryonics.

Where does that leave me now? The duplication problem is still a problem, but part of my distaste for it was the idea that copying memories would somehow copy the subjective awareness. Now that I can see how clearly false (and quite silly, you have to admit) this idea is, I can address the problem of the observer. What if it wasn’t the memories, but the machinery of observation itself, that was copied?

Ah, now here’s an interesting problem, and one which I admit that, from a materialism point of view, there isn’t a good argument against, at least not that I’ve hit yet. I mean, there is, but it requires appealing to quantum mechanics, and this is speculation at this point, speculation which is further compounded by a need to deal with what happens during deep sleep (leaving aside comas and hypothermic surgery, etc., since these aren't things that natural selection had much pressure to deal with, so they don't really fit into an evolutionarily created system of consciousness). And besides, while I still believe that observation itself is a quantum act, and hence requires quantum mechanics, I’m not as convinced that it’s not duplicable.

Why? Quantum states aren’t duplicable, or else new quantum cryptography systems would be pointless. So how could they be duplicated? Well, perhaps not the exact state is what needs to be copied, but just the general “type” of state, is all that’s needed.

“Emergence” and other Mystical Ideas

Consider a solar system. Given a certain arrangement of planets and a star, there will be a certain set of gravitational forces at work within the system. However, it should be clear that the arrangement of the planets is not the gravitational forces involved in the system. However, it should also be clear that the gravitational forces involved in the system could not exist without that physical arrangement of the planets.

My biggest hangup with the idea that qualia are physical is the rather pointed insistence by mystics that the arrangement of matter is the qualia. To me, that would be like saying that the arrangement of the planets and the sun is the gravity. Sorry, but it’s not. Maybe metaphorically, but not physically, not really. Metaphors are neat, and I like using them as much as the next guy, but we should be careful not to start taking them too seriously.

But perhaps the qualia are actual (as opposed to “emergent”, another mystical word) physical phenomena, whether quantum or electromagnetic or something like that, that exist because of the arrangement and motion of matter and the physical forces involved as time passes (since qualia are a process, we need the passage of time).

In this case, the qualia might not be the arrangement of the atoms, but perhaps they could not exist in the absence of that particular arrangement of the atoms. Hence, the idea of the “neural correlate”. This idea never sat well with me in the past, and I should explain this, because my view has only very recently changed.

The problem with correlates is nicely summed up in a classic example: “Whenever the clock in the Presbyterian church tower points to 3:00, the clock in the Baptist church tower rings 3 times. The Presbyterians control the Baptist chimes!” In other words, the only thing you need to know to explain the ringing of the bells is what time is displayed on the Presbyterian church tower’s clock. That is the explanation of the ringing of the bells. There’s no underlying explanation, no need to imagine silly things like a pendulum and escapement and gears and striking hammers and bells and such. When the Presbyterian clock shows 3:00, the clock in the Baptist church rings thrice. Cause and effect.

And thus I am pummeled with the repetitious “The neural correlates are the explanation of the qualia”, and I must be stupid that I don’t understand that, because it seems like no matter how many clever ways somebody explains it to me, I still don’t seem to grasp the concept that the Presbyterians control the Baptist chimes! Er, I mean, that neural correlates are the qualia, and there’s nothing left to explain!

Anyway, starting with neural correlates: do they imply causation? Proponents of neural correlates, for the most part, say yes. In fact, most proponents of the neural correlate idea have, at least that I’ve seen here at ImmInst, consistently either pushed the idea that the neural correlate itself is the qualia (like the arrangement of the planets actually being gravity), or that the qualia are “emergent”, i.e. much like saying that somehow gravity “emerges” from an arrangement of planets. You know, as opposed to their being an actual force called gravity. Gravity doesn’t really exist, silly, it’s just “emergent” from the fact that the planets don’t follow linear paths in space, and so to explain the curved path, we invoke this “emergent” property called gravity. Gravity is just the nonlinear path that objects take in the presence of other massive objects. But a real, actual, physical force? Nonsense. Or horses***, as Don Spanton would say. Yes, qualia and gravity are both horse hooey.

Either idea—that qualia are the same as their neural correlates, or that they are “emergent”—is so absurd that I’ve had another one of those knee-jerk reactions against people who push the idea of neural correlates. And unfortunately, this has unfairly prevented me from giving the idea serious attention. Because even though the ideas that qualia are the neural correlates, or that they are emergent, are mystical bulls***, that doesn’t make the correlation go away. The correlation is still there, and still needs to be explained, and perhaps there is a physical phenomenon there that explains qualia, just like gravity explains the paths of the planets.

Duplication Reconsidered

Of course, having now realized that neural correlates are a serious issue—and that most supporters of neural correlates are just, um, mystics, I guess is the best word for them (“Dude… like, gravity, like, is the position and motion of the planets… Whoa… Pass the bud, man…”)—I am now in a position to consider an interesting scenario.

I can see now that “neural correlates” may in fact always correlate with specific qualia, and hence there’s something that needs explaining; and I can see now that memories don’t make one’s internal observer, but that there must be some machinery separate from the memories that allows us to observe. Therefore, I must now consider the case: what if we could make an exact copy of the physical machinery that gives rise to the qualia that I experience? Not the portions of the neural network that encode memories (though it wouldn’t hurt to copy them), but the portions that encode our observers? Assuming, of course, that the observers are encoded in the neural network, but this seems likely, or at least it’s likely there’s a “correlate” of the observer encoded in the network.

Given this new person, this copy, and the experiences he would have: would those qualia be experienced by “me”? I’d like to say no, but I no longer have gut reactions to absurd, mystical ideas to fall back on. I can’t say, “You’re kidding, right? There’s no way that just copying your memories into another body will allow you to subjectively continue your existence,” and I can’t say, “Yeah, but come on! You’re telling me the arrangement and motion of the atoms is the qualia? And you think I’ve got mystical views!?”

Yep, without those two types of objections—knee-jerk reactions to things I knew all along were mystical and silly, but hadn’t quite figured out why I felt that way—I am now forced to face the duplication problem head-on. And the truth is, I don’t have an answer, either way. My gut still tells me that duplication can’t be done, at least not unless it’s done at the same level as splits in the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, i.e. creating a quantum copy. Of course, doing so excludes the possibility of duplication, so we’re back to the idea that duplication isn’t possible.

But that’s just my gut reaction. Admittedly, a certain arrangement and motion of atoms should have the same electromagnetic forces involved, and quite similar quantum properties (but not identical, since we can’t know for certain that the arrangement and motion of atoms is identical, only very similar), so it’s tempting to think that the observer must be the same. Especially if it’s merely the electromagnetic, and not the quantum, physical properties that matter (no pun intended).

Thus Vindicated, Do I Become the Mystic?

So what is this remaining gut reaction of mine? I’ve now identified the previous two gut reactions, and much to my satisfaction, they’ve proven not to be mystical religious fallacies held by me, accusations to that effect notwithstanding. I’ve always liked to consider myself a rational and well-educated person, especially in math and physics, so it was rather discomforting to think I might be letting mystical, religious beliefs get in the way. Having satisfied myself that these two gut reactions were based on mystical beliefs in other people’s points of view, and not my own, I’m left to wonder about my remaining gut reactions against duplication. Is it now I who am being mystical in my remaining objection?

As much as I’d like to believe that I’ll find a third mystical view held by proponents of duplication, one to explain my remaining objections, I’m far less certain. Perhaps my remaining gut reaction is just the ingrained egotistical sense that I was right and “they were wrong”. Having identified and removed those two objections, are my remaining objections to duplication based on nothing more than mystical beliefs, beliefs I’ve long held without serious rational attempts to study them because I was dealing with other issues? Perhaps, perhaps not.

In sum, then, I’ve identified two gut reactions against duplication and “materialism” and the reasons I held those reactions. Having laid them out and exposed the absurd mystical ideas they represented, I’m in a better position to appreciate the ideas of duplication and of qualia under materialism, stripped of two of my strongest inherent biases. I’m also aware now that, in attacking the duplication idea, I’ve actually been attacking bastardized forms of the duplication idea, and in attacking materialism, I've been attacking a bastardized form of materialism, and the actual problems of duplication and materialism lie largely unscathed.

I’m now much more agnostic on the idea of duplication, giving much more plausibility to the idea than to the idea that a pig might suddenly erupt from my anus in the next five seconds and fly away. (Which is, of course, about how much plausibility I gave the idea of duplication about three weeks ago.)

I still consider duplication of my subjective awareness unlikely, but not overwhelmingly so, and I can now appreciate the possibility, via copying my observation machinery (which is mostly if not entirely distinct from my memories and personality), and explore with more seriousness what issues it raises.

Freed from the absurd belief that memories alone are what make the copy retain subjective awareness, I can actually explore some more interesting ideas, such as replacing my memories with those of a “better” or more adventurous life, but still having it be “me” that experiences this new life.

Sure, I might be wrong. But I've uncovered a few rather silly mystical beliefs held by self-proclaimed materialists, and there's a certain visceral satisfaction in that. I've still got the atomic-level duplication issue to deal with, and in time I may find myself agreeing with Brian. At the least, I realize now that my vehement opposition to the duplication problem was based on a horrendously incomplete view of what duplication would be duplicating, and sadly this has left me attacking a problem that wasn't the real issue. Let's see where things go in the future, once I've had more than my current couple weeks to think about the implications of something about which I no longer have sound gut reactions to guide me.

PS: Given the length of this post, I will freely admit that it probably is inconsistent. The editing process found me adding and editing nearly every section multiple times, and as such, I lost track of all the ideas I had presented. Re-reading the completed post would probably have prevented any errors, grammatical or logical, but with each re-reading, I just kept editing, so that there was no way to ensure the whole thing was coherent. I apologize for any incoherency (or repitition, for that matter, because I noticed a fair amount of it on my last couple passes, but I was too lazy to eliminate the repititious material).

#2 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:15 AM

Bainbridge and Personality Capture

My shock was thus pushed to its limits when I read the essay by William Sims Bainbridge in ImmInst’s first book, The Scientific Conquest of Death. This was only a couple weeks ago, and it’s a shame I wasn’t able to get my hands on a copy of the book much sooner than late June or Early July of this year.

At any rate, here was Bainbridge, basically arguing that we could simply make a lot of observations about someone’s life, and then use this information to create a copy of that person’s personality. This itself doesn’t really bother me, and it’s actually quite a fascinating idea, to tell the truth: fascinating, that is, as long as we're being clear that the copy will be just that, a copy, with no real connection to the original.

But what did bother me, and rather vehemently, was that he argued that this personality could basically be used to continue a person’s existence, whether in a new human body, or more likely, in one or more robotic bodies. Objectively speaking, I don’t even really have a problem with this, and it’s a pretty neat idea.

But from my reading of this essay, he seemed to be implying that one would literally, or that is to say, subjectively live on in the new body. He doesn’t use the word subjective, not until he’s describing the possibility of having one’s experiences through a robotic body, and at this point, he’s speaking of the fact that, subjectively speaking, one is “located” where the sensory data is collected, not where one’s consciousness is being processed. So when he did bring up subjectivity, he did it in a way I agree with, and which has nothing to do with the personality copies he’s suggesting.

Having failed to mention subjectivity in direct relation to the personality copies he’s suggesting, perhaps he harmlessly means these copies to be objective duplicates, wherein the original truly can “die” subjectively and be lost to oblivion, regardless of whether the duplicate lives on. However, the context of the essay very strongly implies the opposite, that he is very seriously offering a method to preserve one’s subjective life in the face of possible death.

And here it was again, then: this idea that a copy of one’s memories and personality is enough for one to subjectively live on, regardless of the condition of the original.

Jay, I haven't read your whole essay yet, but there is one thing I have to say right now.

I complete agree with your regarding the Bainbridge essay! It was complete bunk IMO and I remember after initially reading it wondering how it could possibly have ever made it into the book. I mean come on! Like I could just take a couple of personality profile tests and that info would accurately harvest everything necessary to recreate me!?! Absurd. It was just a silly essay and I think made the institute looks somewhat...moronic. I know these comments are harsh, but I had strong disagreements with the contentions of that essay and would be strongly opposed to any future contributions by that author (nothing personal or anything ;) ) I guess it serves me right for not having read all of the articles before publication...but still, how the hell did this essay slip through? It was absolutely aweful.

#3 susmariosep

• 1,137 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:22 AM

The question of identity.

I read through two-thirds of your post, and I will read the rest. However, I just like at this point to share with you what I have always been saying about the existence of the person in his identity, in his personality, compared to his biological life.

I am of the opinion that a person's identity and personality need not be founded on his biological life.

There are many layers to this question and related questions: consciousness, life, identity, personality, persona, self, selfhood -- and you realize from the writing of your post and the editing of that the questions are so inter-related and subtly inter-enveloped that it is difficult almost impossible to consider one aspect or a particular issue without requiring the reader to keep in mind all the other facets of the topic in actual consideration.

Anyway, this is how I usually start with the idea of consciousness and identity and personality and existence and life and continuation of our self and even restoration or reproduction of our self, the self that is distinct in me, from in you, and in him or her. And I have written a host of messages explaining my thoughts on this matter here and in other boards -- not much recently.

When you are in deep dreamless sleep or in a coma or in general anaesthesia, you are for all practical purposes dead in the sense of no longer relevant to yourself and to the world, except as a charge to others who have to take care, be in charge, of your physiologically functioning body.

If you don't come out of deep dreamless sleep, coma, general anaesthesia, then you are for all practical purpose definitively and permanently dead, or in terms of existence, no longer a human being, and will never more come back to human existence.

Consider that someone is in a comatose state for years and then regains consciousness, isn't he returning from a state of non-being back to a state of being?

Now, consider that he comes back with only the memory of events and of the realities extant from the point when he lost consciousness backward to as far as he could reach with his memory recall. The time lapse between his loss of consciousness with the occurrence of coma, and his return to consciousness, that period he has no memory of whatsover about what happened to him or what was done to him or what he did -- impossible to imagine since he was not around for being in an annihilated condition.

In that situation we can say that the subject has resurrected from not only functional death but also from non-existence in terms of existence as a person, that person that ultimately is taken by law to be a subject of rights and duties and possessed of inviolability.

Next, consider that the subject comes back to consciousness but with total irrecoverable amnesia. In which case, he is a person but without an identity to himself of himself and from himself and on himself. For before anyone can be identified by others he has got to be able to know his own identity. How, by recalling all those data about him that we put in any saved record of him: his birth, parentage, residence, sex, height, complexion, etc., and for himself he carries in documents kept in his wallet.

Now, I am getting lengthy, so I will just recap the most important thought of this message at this point, namely:

A person not in consciousness is not existing as a person. If and when he regains consciousness, he resumes his existence as an identity, a self, a person from the joined boundaries between two events: his lapse into unconsciousness and his return to consciousness, but there is a period in time when he was not existing as a human person although physiologically operating like a machine with the engine idling, namely, that gap in time whe he was not conscious.

When he comes back to consciousness he can come back with his memory storage intact and possessed of its recall function, or by an unlucky happenstance he could come back without memory storage, having suffered total and irrecoverable amnesia.

In either case it is a resurrection or a return to existence, that one that is what we might call the essentially human existence or a human being.

If he comes back with total irrecoverable amnesia, then he has to rebuild his identity or he can start a new one or adopt the identity of some real other person past or present, or some fictional identity. How? by input memory data geuine or made-up into his memory database in his mind.

To make a long story short (because I want to send another open letter by PM to BJKlein, to ask him to restore two posts of mine dislodged from their original location by a roving patrolman), the identity of a person is not only dependent on the person all alone, but also and even in huge measures dependenet on what others know and insist to be his person, his identity, his self.

So, when a person comes back from unconsciousness with total amnesia, he will need all the help of people who know him: family members, friends, society who know him to be him, his identity, his self, his persona, to become himself again.

Take this person who comes back to consciousness with total irrecoverable amnesia, but into another completely stranger circle who had lost a member and is longing to have such a member back with them, then this person can fill in the vacancy for the grieving communal group. All they have to do, all of them, is start the new drama or resume the drama of the lost member hving come back, only they have to restore his personhood, identity, etc., to him, the him that is in reality a stranger coming back to consciousness with amnesia of his identity.

Now, if we produce a machine so cognitively endowed and possessed of very capacious memory storage and recall, then for that grieving family, this machine can pefectly be the replacement and even better than the original for the lost member to this grieving family.

I guess you get what I am trying to say, but I think you have a different even totally opposite sympathy.

Susma

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 darauch

• 33 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 05:58 AM

Jay, you wrote:

"My biggest hangup with the idea that qualia are physical is the rather pointed insistence by mystics that the arrangement of matter is the qualia. To me, that would be like saying that the arrangement of the planets and the sun is the gravity. Sorry, but it’s not. Maybe metaphorically, but not physically, not really. Metaphors are neat, and I like using them as much as the next guy, but we should be careful not to start taking them too seriously."

I believe that qualia literally is certain arrangements of matter (rather than emergent or a correlate). I'll use an example to illustrate this. Imagine the following scenario. Blue light enters an individual's retinas where it is translated into an electrical signal and processed by the individual's brain. At some point during this processing, the indiviual experiences the sensation of blue. At this point, the physical arrangment represented by the processing of said electrical signal by the individual's brain is litterally the sensation of blue.

Now, you are probably thinking, "if the aforementioned processing is litterally the sensation of blue, why is it that, in general, when neural processing of color is observed via imaging techniques, the observer does not himself experience the sensation of color that the subject undergoing the imaging is experiencing?" To understand why we need to dissect the situation. The subject sees (say) green light. Lets call this stimulus, green light, "GL." GL enters the subject's retinas where it is translated into an electrical signal. Lets call this signal "GS." GS is processed by the subject's brain. Let's call this processing of GS "NPGS." NPGS literally is the sensation of green. Here is the important part; whereas NPGS arises ultimately from GL, NPGS itself gives rise to something different in the observer. When NPGS enters the observer's retinas it is translated into an electrical signal. Lets call this signal "SNPGS." SNPGS is then processed by the observer's brain. We can call this neural processing "NPNPGS." Now, NPNPGS, which we can call "the sensation of observing the sensation of green," is clearly different from NPGS, the sensation of green. In other words, the subject and the observer experience two different sensations because each of their sensations arise from two different stimuli; green light in the case of the subject, and the subject's neural processing of the electrical signal resulting from the green light, in the case of the observer.

Note: This post will probably be edited later to make it easier to understand. In the mean time, I hope that what I wrote is clear enough.

Edited by darauch, 16 August 2005 - 07:03 AM.

#5 Mark Hamalainen

• 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:23 AM

Hey, your essay was excellent. You did well to stick to a few fundamental issues rather than the normal scattered ranting of an online forum. In philosophy, its very important to see the limitations of your knowledge/understanding/deductive capabilities, and to consider all possibilities without discarding any due to distaste or defensiveness. I'm glad you took the effort to do it.

Unfortunately, judging by the calibre of some of the first responses, your ideas will be lost on most. I don't think you can spell it any clearer, some just haven't yet acquired the sufficient background knowledge or comprehension skills to understand.

One quick comment.

By the time we're capable of atom scale duplication, we will almost certainly already have reached escape velocity by biological means, so it won't be an issue of survival via cryonics anymore. Then we can take our time and see if we can determine whats possible and what is not before recklessly trying anything.

#6 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:18 AM

Jay

This brought me to make my analogy of the Black Knight, to point out that the Black Knight could be played by different actors, and hence, just because we can know with some degree of objective certainty that the Black Knight is still the Black Knight, that doesn’t mean that the same actor is playing him, i.e. that the Black Knight is still subjectively the same.

Of course, the actor in the Black Knight is an actor, and the  most we can say for sure about our subjective awareness is that we have an observer.

Personally, I understood the idea you were trying to convey with your black knight example, but I thought that, when held up against intense scrutiny, it fell apart. The range of action that an actor can display is limited based on the dialog of the play (unless the actors are given free range to ad lib). Regardless, a masked actor being able to fool an audience is a far cry from a duplicate passing a "trial by fire" where it would have to interact with the family and friends of the original. You are not imagining the situation thoroughly enough. Finally - just to play along with your example - there is always the possibility of professional acting coaches being planted in the audience who could identify minute differences in performance styles, thus revealing the imposter.

But on to the actual reason for my post...

You are demonstrating a real blind spot in your approach to philosophy of the mind by simply putting forth the notion of an observer without even attempting to define what you mean by it. I believe that this error is common and underlies the natural human tendency to create an abstract "Cartesian Theater". You are assuming that everyone shares your belief about the observer self and this is something that I think you should be disabused of.

The occurence of the "observer self" is the result of organisms existing in a complex social environment that placed a premium on assessing interests. It didn't just pop up out of thin air. Without a doubt there is a strong evolutionary rationale for its occurence. This is one of the strong points of functionalism.

We have had discussion before on the idea of the memetic paradigm, semantical and syntactical information etc etc. I'm not going to belabor this point unless you want to take it further. The important thing is that there is a strong case to be made for there being no *absolute* observer self. The "self" is in reality a self system created by the generation and unification of particular thoughts and themes (ie, memes) within the "economy of the mind". As such it can be considered the "center of narrative gravity" for volitional minds and it bring us to a very important conclusion -- conscious experience and the narrative or "observer" self are the product of this process, not its source.

I am curious Jay, what exactly is your opinion on multiple personality disorder (MPD)? Have you ever thought about it from a philosophy of the mind and/or functionalist perspective? I find MPD to be a confirmation of my perspective but I am curious to see how you reconcile this reality within your frame work...

On a final note, if there is no true "observer" but only a "self model" operating within the larger construct of a world model then the possibility of future duplications becomes more apparent.

#7 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:50 AM

Jay

while I still believe that observation itself is a quantum act

I find it amazing that you can believe this. You do realize that there is zero (none, zero, nada, I double dog dare you to go find me a conclusive study stating as much) evidence to support the belief that quantum events are a component of phenomenal or "qualitative" conscious experience*. You are believing something with no evidence to back up that belief. That's not rational.

I find all of the appeals to quantum mechanics by the mysterians quite amusing. For some reason (and I can guess why) QM has become this ultimate answer for any unknown or unresolved problems. Who knows, maybe someday QM will tell us why 1+1=2. ;) Please, spare me the QM unless you're going to present some data to back up your position. Otherwise, I just see you as misusing quantum theory to spin out bogus philosophical positions.

*Edit: I added "phenomenal or qualitative" because I have no doubt that there is the possibility of quantum mechanical processes supplying variation or computational power. Obviously though, indeterminance has no logical connection to Jay's argument for qualia.

"Pixie dust in the synapses is about as explanatorily powerful as quantum mechanics in the microtubles," Churchland

Edited by DonSpanton, 16 August 2005 - 05:39 PM.

#8 Mark Hamalainen

• 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:55 PM

I find it amazing that you can believe this. You do realize that there is zero (none, zero, nada, I double dog dare you to go find me a conclusive study stating as much) evidence to support the belief that quantum events are a component of phenomenal or "qualitative" conscious experience*. You are believing something with no evidence to back up that belief. That's not rational.

[huh] Suspecting that quantum mechanics plays a role in subjective experience seems perfectly rational when you consider how well quantum mechanics describes physical processes at the molecular level. To dismiss it is like saying that atoms don't play a role in consciousness. They're what the universe is made of buddy! Again I think you're forgetting that subjective experience is part of reality, not part of somebody's model of it.

#9 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:33 PM

Osiris

[huh]  Suspecting that quantum mechanics plays a role in subjective experience seems perfectly rational when you consider how well quantum mechanics describes physical processes at the molecular level. 

Chalmers doesn't agree. ;))

5 The extra ingredient
We have seen that there are systematic reasons why the usual methods of cognitive science and neuroscience fail to account for conscious experience. These are simply the wrong sort of methods: nothing that they give to us can yield an explanation. To account for conscious experience, we need an extra ingredient in the explanation. This makes for a challenge to those who are serious about the hard problem of consciousness: What is your extra ingredient, and why should that account for conscious experience?

There is no shortage of extra ingredients to be had. Some propose an injection of chaos and nonlinear dynamics. Some think that the key lies in nonalgorithmic processing. Some appeal to future discoveries in neurophysiology. Some suppose that the key to the mystery will lie at the level of quantum mechanics. It is easy to see why all these suggestions are put forward. None of the old methods work, so the solution must lie with something new. Unfortunately, these suggestions all suffer from the same old problems.

Nonalgorithmic processing, for example, is put forward by Penrose (1989; 1994) because of the role it might play in the process of conscious mathematical insight. The arguments about mathematics are controversial, but even if they succeed and an account of nonalgorithmic processing in the human brain is given, it will still only be an account of the functions involved in mathematical reasoning and the like. For a nonalgorithmic process as much as an algorithmic process, the question is left unanswered: why should this process give rise to experience? In answering this question, there is no special role for nonalgorithmic processing.

The same goes for nonlinear and chaotic dynamics. These might provide a novel account of the dynamics of cognitive functioning, quite different from that given by standard methods in cognitive science. But from dynamics, one only gets more dynamics. The question about experience here is as mysterious as ever. The point is even clearer for new discoveries in neurophysiology. These new discoveries may help us make significant progress in understanding brain function, but for any neural process we isolate, the same question will always arise. It is difficult to imagine what a proponent of new neurophysiology expects to happen, over and above the explanation of further cognitive functions. It is not as if we will suddenly discover a phenomenal glow inside a neuron!

Perhaps the most popular "extra ingredient" of all is quantum mechanics (e.g. Hameroff 1994). The attractiveness of quantum theories of consciousness may stem from a Law of Minimization of Mystery: consciousness is mysterious and quantum mechanics is mysterious, so maybe the two mysteries have a common source. Nevertheless, quantum theories of consciousness suffer from the same difficulties as neural or computational theories. Quantum phenomena have some remarkable functional properties, such as nondeterminism and nonlocality. It is natural to speculate that these properties may play some role in the explanation of cognitive functions, such as random choice and the integration of information, and this hypothesis cannot be ruled out a priori. But when it comes to the explanation of experience, quantum processes are in the same boat as any other. The question of why these processes should give rise to experience is entirely unanswered.

(One special attraction of quantum theories is the fact that on some interpretations of quantum mechanics, consciousness plays an active role in "collapsing" the quantum wave function. Such interpretations are controversial, but in any case they offer no hope of explaining consciousness in terms of quantum processes. Rather, these theories assume the existence of consciousness, and use it in the explanation of quantum processes. At best, these theories tell us something about a physical role that consciousness may play. They tell us nothing about how it arises.)

At the end of the day, the same criticism applies to any purely physical account of consciousness. For any physical process we specify there will be an unanswered question: Why should this process give rise to experience? Given any such process, it is conceptually coherent that it could be instantiated in the absence of experience. It follows that no mere account of the physical process will tell us why experience arises. The emergence of experience goes beyond what can be derived from physical theory.

#10 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:26 PM

You've just witnessed one of those rare instances where Chalmers and I actually agree on something. [lol]

This statement hits the nail on the head.

Perhaps the most popular "extra ingredient" of all is quantum mechanics (e.g. Hameroff 1994). The attractiveness of quantum theories of consciousness may stem from a Law of Minimization of Mystery: consciousness is mysterious and quantum mechanics is mysterious, so maybe the two mysteries have a common source.

Theories of quantum mechanical consciousness are, at their core, mysterian. All you are doing is appealing to what both of you perceive as mystery.

Really what thinkers of this perspective are trying to do is have their cake and eat it too. They attempt to tow a marginally physicalist line because they realize that it is the only way to maintain the appearance of being rational, yet they do not truly believe that an explanation can be found in the purely physical.
-----------------------------------
In regards to Jay personal philosophy, it is riddled with contradictions because of this essentially conflicted psychology. For instance, appeals to the intrinsic and ineffable nature of subjective experience are firmly in the dualist camp, while his appeals to QM are not.

Yet over all Jay's position is less confused than Osiris' because at least he understands the value in maintaining a physicalist position.

The point Jay still needs to grasp, but hasn't quite understood yet was pointed out rather well by Chalmers. Any physicalist theory of consciousness is essential functionalist in the final analysis. Thus, even if QM did have an influence on the functionality of cognitive processes it would not satisfy Jay's ill conceived "why question." One is left coming full circle to the belief that there is a distinctly separated monist/dualist dichotomy at play in the philosophy of the mind ultimately centered around the valuation between logic and Occam's razor on the one hand, and subjective intuition in the nonphysical nature of conscious experience on the other.

#11 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2005 - 10:42 PM

One is left coming full circle to the belief that there is a distinctly separated monist/dualist dichotomy at play in the philosophy of the mind ultimately centered around the valuation between logic and Occam's razor on the one hand, and subjective intuition in the nonphysical nature of conscious experience on the other.

Thus, Jay can claim that he is a physicalist till he is blue in the face, but as long as he maintains that QM can explain "experience" he is simply a dualist with a twist.

#12 Mark Hamalainen

• 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:20 PM

Nevertheless, quantum theories of consciousness suffer from the same difficulties as neural or computational theories. Quantum phenomena have some remarkable functional properties, such as nondeterminism and nonlocality. It is natural to speculate that these properties may play some role in the explanation of cognitive functions, such as random choice and the integration of information, and this hypothesis cannot be ruled out a priori. But when it comes to the explanation of experience, quantum processes are in the same boat as any other. The question of why these processes should give rise to experience is entirely unanswered

Exactly. I don't see your point. We don't know why... and that doesn't mean its not involved.

#13 Mark Hamalainen

• 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:27 PM

Yet over all Jay's position is less confused than Osiris' because at least he understands the value in maintaining a physicalist position.

You seem to be extremely confused as to what my position is. Perhaps this is partly my fault but I thought I had made it clear. However, I think its partly defensiveness over areas where we disagree that have caused you to lose interest in attempting to understand my position.

I simply find it absurd to make assumptions of either the physicalist/monist/whateveist persuasion, and prefer to work with what we know, and what the possiblilties are for the unknown.

#14 Mark Hamalainen

• 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:29 PM

Thus, Jay can claim that he is a physicalist till he is blue in the face, but as long as he maintains that QM can explain "experience" he is simply a dualist with a twist.

I should let Jay speak for himself here, but I don't think he or I are attempting to maintain any such position, physicalist or otherwise. I think we both see it as narrow minded to ascribe yourself to only one possibility.

#15 jaydfox

• Topic Starter
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:46 AM

Theories of quantum mechanical consciousness are, at their core, mysterian. All you are doing is appealing to what both of you perceive as mystery.

Actually, the original appeal of quantum mechanics to me wasn't that it was "mysterious", and hence it's mysteriousness might match the mysteriousness of experience.

The original appeal of quantum mechanics, in relation to consciousness, was the fact that quantum mechanics is non-deterministic, and at the time (i.e., in junior high) I was adamant about consciousness not being deterministic. My insistence on non-determinism was originally because of "free will", but later (by high school) it was also because the idea that a computer (Turing Machine), no matter how complex the software it was running, could have "consciousness" was mystical horses***, as you might put it. In hindsight, I must have been sprinkling in a bit of "experience", because at this point, outside of subjective experience (i.e. qualia), I'm not sure there's much a human mind could do that software couldn't. For example, Penrose's appeal to non-algorithmic processes doesn't have me terribly convinced.

Of course, the other main appeal of quantum mechanics is that the act of "observation" is what supposedly collapses superposed states, and yet this never sat well with me. If nothing observes the observation machinery, then it too could be in a superposed state, along with whatever it supposedly observed. Not until the photons from the LED displays on the observation machinery hit our retinas (which itself doesn't collapse the state), and a signal was sent down the optic nerve (which still wouldn't collapse the state, so that we could see both outcomes, at least within the optic nerve), and was finally decoded in the brain, would a "choice" be made about how to collapse the entire system (optic nerve <= photons <= LED <= observation equipment <= quantum event). But why does the brain collapse the state? Why can't our brains be in superposed states? Why doesn't the universe just because one big soup of superposed states? Well, I suppose in some strange ways, this is what MWI is, but I still don't subscribe to MWI.

At any rate, if somehow the brain operated at a quantum level, then perhaps it, unlike the optic nerve or the retina or the LED, could be capable of forcing the collapse back down the chain to the original quantum event in question.

These two ideas (non-determinism and quantum observation) aren't mystical, but just follow naturally from the mathematics of quantum mechanics. So try as you may to label me a "mysterian", my original and main focus on quantum mechanics being integral to consciousness (and experience is also integral, or seems to be, so there's at least a correlation: admittedly, a correlation could leave the "why?" question, but it's a far sight better than "emergence from complex deterministic information") was just as mundane as trying to explain consciousness by appealing to neural states.

Admittedly, while I, as most people on this planet, took experience for granted, and even as a child considered the "What if my 'red' was your 'blue'?" questions, I never had managed to stumble onto the philosophical concept and debate surrounding "qualia", not until in a debate about consciousness and duplication in which I raised the color reversal question, and someone (Brian Wowk? Lazarus Long? Marc Gedes?) informed me of "qualia" and the debates behind them. It was only at that point that I began looking at the debate, and after reading some of Chalmers and some of Dennett (not much of Dennett's, to be honest: Dennett's writings are a bit dense, and he makes some rather absurd statements which, apparently, he supposes to be rather obvious, so I quickly tired of reading his stuff), I began to link quantum mechanics to qualia. (Ironically enough, I seem to have missed Chalmers's statement about QM, or hadn't made the connection myself yet and then failed to make note of the comment for later reference.)

In light of comments you've made, I've finally taken the time to read Quining Qualia, and I was fairly disappointed. While the arguments were somewhat better than I expected them to be, they still didn't have me convinced (the coffee one was interesting, but didn't really seem to say much about whether qualia exist), and rather, they just convinced me that Dennett is really good at twisting words and making statements he claims follow from the previous statements, but don't really, but they sure seem to, so good he is at argumentaiton. It's a skill I have yet to master, and I admire that if not his conclusions. He raises some interesting scenarios, which rather than going to show that qualia don't exist, simply showed that a lot of pre- and post-processing occur in qualia (but this much should really be obvious anyway, like the dichotomy between memory and the machinery of observation that I mentioned) and in the comparison of one or more qualia with one or more other qualia (e.g. in comparing memories to current sensations), and that even second-order qualia (the analysis of qualia and thoughts, a process we are aware of, at least when we try to be) can be involved.

Anyway, I still believe QM to be involved in consciousness, for one or more of the three reasons I mentioned (the first two being grounded in the math and mechanics of QM, though with the first being laced with an opinion about consciousness and non-determinism, and the third being grounded in my opinion on qualia and their correlation with consciousness, and hence with the first two reasons, but with no math). My reasoning it thus somewhat weak: any one of the three reasons might not pan out, but it seems likely to me that at least one of the ideas will pan out, and hence I consider it likely (but not definite) that QM will be found involved in consciousness. Maybe it's not.

The point is, my reasons for thinking QM is involved in consciousness aren't based on some "mysterian" position, though it must have felt good to say that about me. Just as it felt good for me to call people who think that they can copy their subjective awareness by taking really good notes about their lives to be used in training a clone (or a robot, for that matter) to act like them. Of course, I think I hit the nail on the head, and I think you simply misunderstood me. But I could be wrong.

#16 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:19 AM

jay

The original appeal of quantum mechanics, in relation to consciousness, was the fact that quantum mechanics is non-deterministic, and at the time (i.e., in junior high) I was adamant about consciousness not being deterministic. My insistence on non-determinism was originally because of "free will"

I've harped on the nature of causality for long enough now that I'll assume you understand that indeterminance is irrelevant to FW.

Well, I suppose in some strange ways, this is what MWI is, but I still don't subscribe to MWI.

Interesting. From what you've stated here it doesn't seem that you subscribe to the Copenhagen interpretation either...is there a lesser known model that you favor? For what its worth, I tentatively subscribed to MWI.

At any rate, if somehow the brain operated at a quantum level, then perhaps it, unlike the optic nerve or the retina or the LED, could be capable of forcing the collapse back down the chain to the original quantum event in question.

These two ideas (non-determinism and quantum observation) aren't mystical, but just follow naturally from the mathematics of quantum mechanics. So try as you may to label me a "mysterian", my original and main focus on quantum mechanics being integral to consciousness (and experience is also integral, or seems to be, so there's at least a correlation: admittedly, a correlation could leave the "why?" question,

1) Jay, the bolded section of Chalmer's quotation emphasizes my point on quantum indeterminance -- it could only have an effect on functional aspects of conscious existence.

2) Could you elaborate further on your quantum observer argument. How would this be different from cognitive processing in real time if it were a purely physical phenomenon?

but it's a far sight better than "emergence from complex deterministic information") was just as mundane as trying to explain consciousness by appealing to neural states.

"It" is not emergent, it IS complex information processing experienced subjectively. This is not an issue of semantics, it is important to the over all logic of the framework.

The fact of the matter is that a quantum mechanical model doesn't shed anymore light on "experience" than a functionalist model (as Chalmer's points out). Either way, the imagined explanatory gap put forth by the dualists remains. Hence, a comparative analysis of physicalists theories of the mind would favor functionalism via Occam's razor.

In light of comments you've made, I've finally taken the time to read Quining Qualia, and I was fairly disappointed. While the arguments were somewhat better than I expected them to be, they still didn't have me convinced (the coffee one was interesting, but didn't really seem to say much about whether qualia exist), and rather, they just convinced me that Dennett is really good at twisting words and making statements he claims follow from the previous statements, but don't really, but they sure seem to, so good he is at argumentaiton.

I'm glad you read it. Naturally I didn't expect it to change your mind, but it could possibly improve our communications.

The point is, my reasons for thinking QM is involved in consciousness aren't based on some "mysterian" position, though it must have felt good to say that about me.

Funny that you should take it as an insult. I guess I meant it as a mild criticism, but certainly not as an invective. If you remember a while back I linked to an interview between Robert Wright and Daniel Dennett where Dennett called Wright a mysterian to his face. Wright's reaction was basically, "Well, yeah, I suppose you're right. I do believe there is essentially something myserious about consciousness." Wouldn't you agree Jay that you believe there is still something essentially "mysterious" about consciousness? If so, then isn't my description accurate?

#17 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:36 AM

Jay

Just as it felt good for me to call people who think that they can copy their subjective awareness by taking really good notes about their lives to be used in training a clone (or a robot, for that matter) to act like them.

I was just thinking of a trippy scenario.

What if I could clone myself and then time travel back to the moment of my birth, kill my newly born infant self, and then replace it with my clone. I would contend that the clone would grow up to be "me".

The reason that the Bainbridge argument is so silly is because the environmental contribution to our stored database of memories and attributes is so diverse and complex that it could never, even in theory, be simulated or extracted through the methods he describes. You KNOW Jay that this is not my (nor Brian's, nor the vast majority of cryonic supporters) position on consciousness, so as you conceded in your OP you would be engaged in a straw man fallacy if you tried to make the connection. I've made quite clear that this is not my position.

#18 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:53 AM

The question of why these processes should give rise to experience is entirely unanswered.

OSiris

Exactly.  I don't see your point.  We don't know why... and that doesn't mean its not involved.

heh, love how you ducked the rest of that quotation...

Again, I'll just counter you by saying that we DO know. Experience is "what it is like" to exist subjectively as a particular physical system. Chalmers use of the phrase "gives rise" betrays his bias. Physical processes do not "give rise" to anything. One and the same, one and the same, one and the same -- the contention makes logical sense via Occam's razor and should therefore be viewed as being true until there is solid evidence that demonstrates to the contrary.

#19 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:27 AM

Osiris

You seem to be extremely confused as to what my position is.  Perhaps this is partly my fault but I thought I had made it clear.  However, I think its partly defensiveness over areas where we disagree that have caused you to lose interest in attempting to understand my position.

Confusion leads to confusion. eh, sorry, I guess I'm being mean now.

I simply find it absurd to make assumptions of either the physicalist/monist/whateveist persuasion, and prefer to work with what we know, and what the possiblilties are for the unknown.

You're making assumption about what is unknown! What is unknown?! And how does QM address anything but functional complexity? How does quantum mechanics explain, even in theory, the saltiness of salt.

Give me a break! You can't even fathom an answer. And that's the point, "why is salt salty?" is a bogus question.

------------------------------------------------

And you are being evasive. You may find me to be dogmatic, but in reality all I am doing is defending the position I stake vigorously. This allows for a more productively dialog, but it does not mean that my thought is inflexible. Up until our recent debate I had actually swung over to epiphenomenalism for a while.

You obviously favor a side. Defend it. Stop stating that we have incomplete knowledge. Everyone knows the nature of epistemology. Get over it. And while you're at it, answer two questions for me.

Why is blue blue? and Why does 1+1=2? If you can't come up with even a possible answer for either, then the questions are invalid.

The key to utilizing the scientific method is being able to posit hypothetical solutions which can be confirmed or denied by experimental results (data). Without being able to posit falsifiable hypothetical solutions you lack a method for arriving at tentative truth.

#20 jaydfox

• Topic Starter
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:23 AM

Interesting. From what you've stated here it doesn't seem that you subscribe to the Copenhagen interpretation either...is there a lesser known model that you favor? For what its worth, I tentatively subscribed to MWI.

I doubt any of the current models are really all that accurate, much like Newton was close, but didn't have it right (due, in his defense, to a lack of empirical knowledge).

I've actually seen an abstract of a peer-reviewed physics paper that asserts something quite similar to what I suggested. Quantum states would continue to superpose, even in the face of "observations", until something, perhaps a stray photon, perhaps a photon from the observation equipment, reached our retinas. Upon striking our retinas, a sort of "back propagation" (my term, not the author's) would instantly travel back down the path of the photon, all the way to the original quantum event, and collapse the whole system. He even had a consistent (albeit complex) mathematical model that described the phenomenon.

My only question was, why stop at the retina? And while I realize that peer-review processes sometimes let crap through, I mention it because it wasn't some cockamamy (sp?) idea cooked up in a high school physics class, it was a serious attempt at a mathematical model, trying to answer the question of what an "observation" is if the observer itself (e.g. a photon used to probe the position and momentum of an ion) can undergo quantum superpositions that must be observed. I don't have the quote on me, but one or more renowned quantum physicists have put forward similar concerns, about what observes the observer, and what observes that observer, and so forth (and here, the observer is the rather mundane concept of something that can measure states in a system, not to be confused with the rather obvious concept of an "observer" that you somehow think doesn't exist), and wondering whether it all leads back to a human mind.

#21 jaydfox

• Topic Starter
  • 6,214 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 12:06 PM

I've harped on the nature of causality for long enough now that I'll assume you understand that indeterminance is irrelevant to FW.

Not IS irrelevant, merely CAN BE irrelevant. I assume, of course, you're talking about random indeterminance, in which case, I agree. I don't think we have a mathematical model yet of non-algorithmic, non-random non-determinism (that's a lot of negatives!), so the statement isn't prima facie true about indeterminance in general.

At any rate, my original appeal to QM to fill in an explanatory gap in free will is largely moot in the present, since I no longer take classical free will to be a given (even if secretly I hope it's true).

The fact of the matter is that a quantum mechanical model doesn't shed anymore light on "experience" than a functionalist model (as Chalmer's points out). Either way, the imagined explanatory gap put forth by the dualists remains. Hence, a comparative analysis of physicalists theories of the mind would favor functionalism via Occam's razor.

Yes, yes, I realized this in the last week or two, once the issue was forced by introspection of my position. Actually, I wrote a couple lengthy essays a few days prior to this one, which I've only shared with osiris, and it was in writing these essays that I realized that the explanatory gap still remained. This didn't eliminate my conviction that QM is involved, since even if it fails to be explanatory, it's A) a better model than some mystical "emergence", and B) still likely considering the scale we're talking about, and C) it could bring us one step closer to an explanation, since some fundamental thing as 'blue' seems unlikely to be stored in a configuration of one or a few dozen or thousand neurons and their "really, really, really complex" active chemical and electrical states, but a fundamental thing could be seen rising out of interfering quantum states which, like a Bose Einstein Condensate or a laser, represent a form of coherence which literally ties the "really, really, really" complex information together, as opposed to metaphorically.

"It" is not emergent, it IS complex information processing experienced subjectively. This is not an issue of semantics, it is important to the over all logic of the framework.

That was really sad. I really wish people would stop saying it IS complex information, because it shows a logical misstep in their thinking.

There are several forms of reductionism, some of which lead to eliminativism, and some which don't.

Consider the electric field of a single electron. We could break it up into three virtual fields, each perpendicular to the other, and then treat the electric field as if it were actually three distinct fields. The choice of axes itself should make it obvious that this is just a mathematical game we play: the original field is just one field, capable of forces in multiple directions based on position. In other words, analyzing the conceptual parts doesn't actually break down the former.

On the other hand, consider an electric current. Within it are individual electrons moving in a wire. We CAN break it down to the description of the moving electromagnetic fields of each electron, so that the whole isn't some "actual" thing, but a property we ascribe to the sum of the parts. There is no actual "thing" of electrical current at the macroscale, just the flow of electrons and the intefering electromagnetic fields of the parts.

Take chemistry. At the most basic level, chemistry is physics, so that there isn't a real "chemistry" at work, just physical laws being followed which create a complex pattern we call chemistry. In this way, we might say that chemistry arises from physics, because it isn't its own fundamental thing.

So you're saying that there isn't actually qualia, they don't exist, they're just complex information. And yet I "experience" them.

Ah, you say, but you think about chemistry as a real concept, and yet it was obvious in the last century or two that it was just an emergent phenomenon. What if quantum physics is just an emergent phenomenon of some deeper physics? Things we take for granted emerge from underlying things all the time. So why not qualia?

Why qualia? You still have the explanatory gap. You still have this felt quality, this "what it's like"-ness, that unlike chemistry, where we can analyze and realize it disappears, the qualia ARE STILL THERE, still being experienced. I no longer think of actual electric currents, mainly because the math rather throws me off (the explanatory gap), so that I'm often left applying special relativity to flows of particles because it explains the magnetic fields to me in a more "real" manner than using the right-hand-rule. But while I can analyize my thought processes, the processing of information, and even the neural processes, and how this anaysis might even give me insight into how it works, I'm still left with the experience!

Sure, I'm fallable, but you can't convince me I'm not experiencing things. You can help me better appreciate my qualia, much like Dennett's "guitar" intuition pump (that one was cool, since I can see it applying to all sorts of qualia, even self-awareness), but you can only add to my knowledge of my qualia, not destroy it.

The moral? We're dealing with the first type: breaking a 3D electric field into three 1D electric fields, to make the math easier and the concepts more digestible. But you're not actually breaking up the original 3D electric field, which is to say, it doesn't "emerge" from three 1D electric fields. Emergence of qualia is horse s***, as someone recently might have put it. :)

#22 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 17 August 2005 - 12:39 PM

This is an incredible thread that I will ponder again and again for some time before trying to make too profound a contribution but I do have one question Jay:

If your philosophy(ies) are on trial Jay then who is the judge and what are the charges?

I guess I lied; those were two questions. [lol]

Beware the trials of Job my friend.

• Lurker

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:50 PM

Why does 1+1=2?

It doesn't if..
- the numbers are in base 2
- one is adding volumes of different substances
- etc..

and this from Orwell's 1984:

-Two and two are four.
-Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder.

Wouldn't you agree Jay that you believe there is still something essentially "mysterious" about consciousness?

Why stop at consciousness? There is "mystery" everywhere. In the keys of your keyboard that feel so solid - yet from a subatomic perspective they are made of what - mostly space? Consider the innumerable spectra of radiation invisible to our biology yet blazing all around us. Even a slight shift out of phase from the carefully constructed models of our reality result in being confronted with endless permutations of possibilties rich with "mystery" because they cannot be integrated into our conceptual framework.

In a moment of peace a baboon may contemplate as much as it is able to on why a banana has a peel - for few seconds prior to eating it. During that time of contemplation it may have reached the pinnacle of its species' ability to consider such theoretical abstractions. It could well be that much knowledge is similarly elusive - or mysterious - for us since we do not have the faculties to process higher levels of abstraction.

#24 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:50 PM

If your philosophy(ies) are on trial Jay then who is the judge and what are the charges?

The title is like throwing chum into shark infested waters... [lol] All in good fun, of course.

#25 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2005 - 02:08 PM

Prometheus

It could well be that much knowledge is similarly elusive - or mysterious - for us since we do not have the faculties to process higher levels of abstraction.

An open question. I suspect it would still be an open question when/if we reach posthuman intelligence.

BTW Prometheus, it is not that one can not acknowledge there being "mysterious" aspects to our existence but, when one allows such perceived mysteries to rule his/her conceptualization of an issue, that is when one earns the title of a mysterian.

#26 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:24 PM

Jay

Not IS irrelevant, merely CAN BE irrelevant. I assume, of course, you're talking about random indeterminance, in which case, I agree. I don't think we have a mathematical model yet of non-algorithmic, non-random non-determinism (that's a lot of negatives!), so the statement isn't prima facie true about indeterminance in general.

Semantics. Until you can demonstrate that there is a correlation I will continue to use IS.

a fundamental thing could be seen rising out of interfering quantum states which, like a Bose Einstein Condensate or a laser, represent a form of coherence which literally ties the "really, really, really" complex information together, as opposed to metaphorically.

This statement is the memetic equivalent of throwing paint on a wall and seeing what sticks. Unfortunately none of it sticks.
I am not denying that there is subjective experience, I am only denying the meaning which you supply to this subjective experience. I'll leave it at that. I typed a much long reply but, as I think we both should have known by now, there are fundamental disagreements by us regarding perceptual awareness.

#27 darauch

• 33 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:04 PM

(Before you read on I should say I don't know how to use the quote function so I'll quote the old fashioned way)

Osiris wrote:

"Unfortunately, judging by the calibre of some of the first responses, your ideas will be lost on most. I don't think you can spell it any clearer, some just haven't yet acquired the sufficient background knowledge or comprehension skills to understand."

It seems probable that you are referring to my post. I admit that I could have "missed" something but I don't see it. Basically my post shows that a consistent explanation exists for qualia being simply complex configurations of matter. Jay maintains that this is not the case by apealing to an example from physics that doesn't address my post; and I fail to see how his example, in any way, conflicts with the claim that qualia are reducible to neural states. In summation, I think my post warrants a direct response rather than a condescending dismissal. If my post really is as ill-informed as you claim, you will be doing me a service by showing me how.

#28 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:07 PM

I was just thinking of a trippy scenario.

What if I could clone myself and then time travel back to the moment of my birth, kill my newly born infant self, and then replace it with my clone.  I would contend that the clone would grow up to be "me".

I'm surprised no one jumped on this statement. In further pondering this scenario it has become obvious to me that there could also be epigenetic and developmental factors which also have a role to play in forming identity. Therefore, I am not as confident as I originally was that the cloned copy would contain the necessary fidelity to develop into "me". The general point I was trying to make in this thought experiment still stands however.

#29 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:15 PM

(Before you read on I should say I don't know how to use the quote function so I'll quote the old fashioned way)

Osiris wrote:

"Unfortunately, judging by the calibre of some of the first responses, your ideas will be lost on most. I don't think you can spell it any clearer, some just haven't yet acquired the sufficient background knowledge or comprehension skills to understand."

It seems probable that you are referring to my post.

Don't let it get to you darauch, Osiris is almost as arrogant as I am. [lol] He probably wasn't directing the comment at you specifically anyway.

#30 Mark Hamalainen

• 564 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:33 PM

Don,

Give me a break! You can't even fathom an answer. And that's the point, "why is salt salty?" is a bogus question.

Why is blue blue? and Why does 1+1=2? If you can't come up with even a possible answer for either, then the questions are invalid.

A question is not invalid because you don't yet have an answer, its just tricky and interesting.

You obviously favor a side. Defend it.

I'm thinking about it. So far jay's posts have mirrored my ideas closely enough that I have been satisfied with just pointing out errors in various people's logic, a tactic that can be aggravating to some, but is useful in keeping the debate focused. I intend to contribute more soon, but I'm very busy wrapping up a research project right now.

Semantics. Until you can demonstrate that there is a correlation I will continue to use IS.

This is where we run into the most problems. You agree that the question remains open (even if you find certain possibilities highly unlikely), but you insist on treating the question as if it has been answered. Why would you want to do this except to aggrevate us? All you're doing is wasting everybodies time.

The key to utilizing the scientific method is being able to posit hypothetical solutions which can be confirmed or denied by experimental results (data). Without being able to posit falsifiable hypothetical solutions you lack a method for arriving at tentative truth.

It is, and I argue that your belief that qualia is emergent from complex systems is unfalsifiable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users