23andme Reporting Options?

23andme snp snps genes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:27 AM

What are the current best reporting options for 23andme data?   The ones I know about:

* Dr Amy Yasko's software at http://knowyourgenetics.com

* Promethease on Demand at http://promethease.com

* MTHFRSupport at http://www.mthfrsupp.../order-reports/

What are some others?  Which of these stands out as best?

#2 YOLF

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:27 AM

Well 23andme is certainly more complete than Promethease... Maybe we should start a petition to allow 23andme to furnish health data. I saw a friend's on screenshare and it looks much better than anything else.

Looking at the sample from MTHFRSupport, I like the color coding, but it doesn't look as complete as Promethease

Yasko's looks like it has to be hand entered, so not all that convenient. Though might be good for specific issues.

• Disagree x 1

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pone11

• Topic Starter
  • 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:59 AM

Well 23andme is certainly more complete than Promethease... Maybe we should start a petition to allow 23andme to furnish health data. I saw a friend's on screenshare and it looks much better than anything else.

Looking at the sample from MTHFRSupport, I like the color coding, but it doesn't look as complete as Promethease

Yasko's looks like it has to be hand entered, so not all that convenient. Though might be good for specific issues.

23andme no longer offers any reports, due to some restrictions imposed on them by the FDA.   That's why we have to choose from these other options.  

Does anyone have a link to an original 23andme report, prior to its being silenced by the FDA?    Someone out there must have absconded his private information and made a report public?

So based on your summary, you like Promethease best for information, and MTHFRSupport best for report readability?

What's frustrating to me on the MTHFR report is that the list dozens of SNPs but give you no visual clues about which ones carry risks, and which ones carry benefits.   They should be able to highlight extreme outliers.   In addition, so of the SNP information they link is borderline incomprehensible.  It's clear all of this stuff is in very early days still.

Based on your recommendation, I viewed the Promethease video, and it looks far better than the other two.  Just my opinion....

Edited by pone11, 06 February 2015 - 02:27 AM.

#4 YOLF

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:15 AM

They're all incomplete compared to 23andme. If you signed up before the FDA action, you still get everything, including updates.

The Yasko is nice too as it makes supplement suggestions, but it looks like it'll need it's own commitment to understand. It's meant IMO to take up your time and commitment so you don't go to the competition. It could be much more complete though. I imagine if we give it some time, it'll look the best of the three and they'll simplify the process as they go. It's also free. You pay for it by buying supplements.

#5 pone11

• Topic Starter
  • 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:00 AM

I poured through Promethease, and based on my cursory review I have to say that maybe this stuff is not ready for primetime.   The problem is if you have 50 "bad" risks for alzheimers and 50 "good" risks for alzheimers, what is your risk for alzheimers?   You cannot simply weigh all of these equally.  Some genetics may completely override others.  I think it would be highly non trivial to weight all of these risks to ascertain your actual overall risk.

For very rare and isolated conditions, the data is maybe very useful.   For common conditions like type 2 diabetes, I think weighing the various genes together would require some very sophisticated technique and more information than science probably has so far.

#6 YOLF

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:20 AM

It isn't ready for prime time. But nothing really ever has been as far as health is concerned. It's always been the best we have at the time or cryonics if at all. This is a foggy window into what we know. The info is a little incomplete right now, but eventually, and maybe even now you can look at the progression and get a logical understanding of how things might unravel. Remember all of these things came from researching specific diseases (TMK) and not specific genes. The science is never done to a comprehensive enough degree. But that's what we have statistics for. Assess you current health and look for early signs of progression, take part in research, and take control of your health. You can't do anything about what you don't know. I think that's what it's all about.

I know there is a very useful quote to use here...

"Grant me the power to change what I can, and the ... to accept what I can't." ...something like that...

Things are changing alot now the balance of power is ever shifting in our favor.

• Agree x 1

#7 Cosmo Mielke

• 7 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:35 PM

I created Project Infinome as a free 23andMe data interpretation platform. Its nonprofit, because the ultimate goal is to create a citizen science genomics experiment to cure aging. (Hence Infinity being a core part of the branding)

Check it out, and tell me if you like it.

http://www.infino.me

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#8 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:30 PM

I created Project Infinome as a free 23andMe data interpretation platform. Its nonprofit, because the ultimate goal is to create a citizen science genomics experiment to cure aging. (Hence Infinity being a core part of the branding)

What happens when I click "Connect with 23AndMe"?

#9 Cosmo Mielke

• 7 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:54 AM

What happens when I click "Connect with 23AndMe"?

You'll get bounced to 23andMe.com, which will give you a page asking if you want to connect your 23andMe account to my service. If you authorize, it bounces you back to my site.

#10 elfanjo

• 73 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:08 AM

@cosmo very interesting!
You are giving the health data 23andme are not able to give anymore?
I though they cross referenced genomes to find health issues. How do you do that?

#11 Cosmo Mielke

• 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:46 PM

I use the NHGRI Gwas Catalogue, Swissvar, Clinvar, and a few other key databases. So far, my annotations aren't that comprehensive, but Im working on pulling in more.

#12 elfanjo

• 73 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 07:52 AM

Good stuff! I will use it when I get my genome done

#13 Polyamine

• 47 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:22 PM

I was a provider for 23andme before they changed things up.  If you want to run the raw data results through a filter database, I'd go with https://livewello.com/

You can use http://geneticgenie.org and it costs less, but it's not as complete.

Edited by Polyamine, 12 March 2016 - 02:23 PM.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#14 YOLF

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:17 PM

This topic is in pretty bad need of an update. I think most of the providers mentioned early on have changed the way they do things. Promethease is still around and probably the best service with a broad range of results and health leads. Others are more specific.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 23andme, snp, snps, genes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users