• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Dearblog Podcast

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:06 PM

I was recently interviewed by the folks who produce the dearblog podcast. It was a mostly light-hearted look at immortality. The guys who produce the podcast are tech-savvy gamers in college. I apologize for not being in top form. I had to get up in the middle of the night to do the interview. The interview portion starts at about 7 minutes into the podcast and lasts about 15-20 minutes.

You can download the mp3 here: dearblog It is episode 5.

#2 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:38 PM

Um WOW. Can I say that again, WOW! Your delivery and speaking voice is 1st rate.

I even thought the interviewers asked legitimate questions until near the end when they asked this one:

"Would you be cool with banging 400 year old chics?"

Again though, great interview! This podcasting has real potential.

#3 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2005 - 06:46 PM

ooo, two additonal suggestions.

1. When the idea of living forever as an elderly person is brought up consider using Aubrey's line, "Being old and frail is risky, and it will always be risky." This breaks down the faulty logic leading to this conception (in a nonconfrontational and friendly way).

2. The SENS/rejuvination theme of "cleaning up damage". You did briefly touch on this, but I would have liked you to drive it home more often. The idea of "cleaning up damage" is easy for the lay person to grasp and may have a better chance of sticking in the person's mind.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 123456

• 295 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:22 PM

To Mind:

You were informative with that interview; An alright interview. With respect I say the following; Still you were kinda vague about what causes aging, is it purely genetic damage as you said? and what are the causes of the genetic damage was not mentioned? With me, I as a listener would like the meat of the issue, that is for example; The disease of aging is Curable; Causes are such and such; Method of curing it; Time line (which you gave in a way, saying along the lines of "Gradual") and so on. Overall an O.K interview. [thumb] :)

#5 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for the constuctive criticism and tips for future interviews. I would have liked to get a little more in depth about a few things but I didn't feel these guys wanted anything too heavy.

#6 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:25 PM

Mind

Thanks for the constuctive criticism and tips for future interviews. I would have liked to get a little more in depth about a few things but I didn't feel these guys wanted anything too heavy.

That's the feeling I got as well. When you are trying to spread the meme to the uninitiated you don't want to get bogged down in technical mumbojumbo. Its all about keeping it short and sweet with common sense logic.

#7 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:51 AM

Excellent job Mind, one must suit the message to the audience and frame the concepts in the manner in which they will be most effective and easily remembered.

#8 emerson

• 332 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 08:47 AM

All in all, I thought the interview was fantastic. In particular, as you brought up, I think you did a great job of keeping things at the level of technical detail they were looking for. The other high point for me was that you kept a sense of humour throughout the interview. I think many who hear about these sorts of concepts automatically file them into either "crazy" or "scary" depending on their mindset. It's a lot harder to label someone crazy when the speaker obviously isn't obsessive about the topic as the tin-foil hat crowd are. It's also difficult to label someone a monster when they're laughing and cracking jokes.

You did an awesome job, and hopefully you'll get another chance to do something similar in the very near future!

#9 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:19 PM

Great way of getting the information out there where it will fit in. Thanks for the inspiration mind.

#10 zerowave

• 42 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:53 PM

Hello, does anyone still have an mp3 of this that they could put up, or link to? I'd be really interested to hear it! The dearblog site is down. :(

Thanks!

#11 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:01 AM

Yes, I see they are moving the site to a new host. I can't find it yet but I do have the email of the fellows who run it. I will try to contact them.

#12 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:58 AM

I happened to still have it saved on my desktop from when I downloaded and listened to it awhile back. I uploaded it to 3 different hosting places in case in the coming weeks others see this topic and decide they would like to download it (I did 3 different ones in case one or two of them stop working at any point):

Link #1 (svefile.com, click "Download", and then "Download the File now" at the bottom of the next page. When I did it, I had to tell Firefox to allow popups to work.)

Link #2 (upload2.com, down at bottom of page. Should play, and have an option to download.)

Link #3 (Axifile.com, will take about 15-20 secs to generate download link down at the bottom.)

:)

Edited by liveforever22, 01 March 2006 - 12:35 PM.

#13 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:42 PM

You're certainly on the "useful" side of things!

Our ability to specialize useful activities (for example, having the foresight to save materials) is certainly a wonder.

Thanks.

#14 zerowave

• 42 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:35 AM

thanks for the up! very nice!

I'm wondering, as there is more and more media available, if we could have them hosted here? Or if that's too hard, is there a spare computer that could have all the files on torrent sites with the prefix imminst tagged on for easy locating? I upped the dvd to bitme.org, an intellectual torrent site and had at least 10 users grabbing it, so there is interest out there, even for people that don't visit this site. It may help in spreading it around more, who knows? I would also be alright with keeping plenty of those files around on my media/filesharing pc.

#15 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:48 AM

thanks for the up!  very nice! 

I'm wondering, as there is more and more media available, if we could have them hosted here?  Or if that's too hard, is there a spare computer that could have all the files on torrent sites with the prefix imminst tagged on for easy locating?  I upped the dvd to bitme.org, an intellectual torrent site and had at least 10 users grabbing it, so there is interest out there, even for people that don't visit this site.  It may help in spreading it around more, who knows?  I would also be alright with keeping plenty of those files around on my media/filesharing pc.

Not sure of the hosting here, but the torrent of the DVD (discussed here) was downloaded by over a thousand people just in the first 5 days I think. It of course dropped off dramatically after that, but still it got out a lot (don't have exact statistics, but probably somewhere in the 2000s total). The google video of the DVD generally gets about 70-80 views a day, and is up to almost 3000 total views, so there is definitely interest out there for media having to do with life extension. The action and outreach section has some of the other stuff we have been discussing.

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users