- - - - -

Reducing bodyfat

bodyfat

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Juangalt

• 67 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:14 PM

I have lost between 40 and 70 lbs rapidly a number of times. I also went through a period of high alcohol consumption and smoking for about 5 years. For the last two years I have been at a reasonable weight and I am very fit (I can run, hike, lift weights, etc) and feel healthy. I am 33 years old and male and have (according to my scale and the eye test, about a 23-24% bodyfat).

But the issue that I have is that it is very difficult to reduce my subcutaneuous fat (around the waist, some possible gyno). I also have pretty bad eye bags which I think is somehow correlated to the subcutaneous fat issue + genetics (although I hear people on here trying to find out how to keep subcutaneous fat).

So, I'm planning to do a lot more HIIT type interval training and possibly using morning branch chain amino acid supplementation. But I was wondering if anyone has any experience reducing bodyfat down to around 10-12% from 23-24%. What did you do?

#2 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:38 AM

Start by 

1-Blocking cortisol at night (holy basil tea)

2-Working out in the day (weights). If you do cardio only do natural cardio, like karate or hiking or something.

3-Eating a healthy diet. Organic meats, vegetables. 

#3 Juangalt

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

Start by 

1-Blocking cortisol at night (holy basil tea)

2-Working out in the day (weights). If you do cardio only do natural cardio, like karate or hiking or something.

3-Eating a healthy diet. Organic meats, vegetables. 

Thank you. I will try the holy basil tea. It's hard for me to work out during the day because of work. I already think I eat pretty healthy; something like 80% organic paleo, but I do cheat. Should I be in a slight calorie deficit or even or does it matter?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:54 PM

You could probably shed that quite quickly by transitioning from Paleo to Keto and continuing exercise. Just don't make the same mistake many people do by eating way too much protein while on Keto.

#5 Juangalt

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:37 PM

You could probably shed that quite quickly by transitioning from Paleo to Keto and continuing exercise. Just don't make the same mistake many people do by eating way too much protein while on Keto.

I was in ketosis for about 4 months (Bulletproof, about 75% of the time, and always low carb). I lost a lot of weight doing this, but most of my body fat stuck around. I went from 28% to 24%, though. If I were eating too much protein I wouldn't be in ketosis, though, due to gluconeogenesis? I was measuring with ketostix. But for some reason when I lose weight, it seems like the proportion of weightloss coming from muscle is high. I'm thinking my best bet is to just eat really clean but still get my calories and then lift and do HIIT to try to keep and build muscle without losing much weight. But I want to get the periodization of meals and workouts perfect, as well as make sure I'm taking any supplements that will help. I still plan on staying in ketosis for at least 1-3 days a week, though.

#6 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:48 PM

Ketostix are generally only good for detecting that you are transitioning into Ketosis properly. Once you are in Ketosis you really only can check ketones via blood testing.

Yeah, if your protein is too high you can screw up being in full ketosis. However, you still want to eat enough protein to avoid muscle wasting. If you do it properly you won't lose muscle.

Edited by mikeinnaples, 19 February 2015 - 05:49 PM.

• Informative x 1

#7 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

Also, why bulletproof? You can't really follow that without pumping your carbs way too high for actualy ketosis.

Edit: Actually you can, but it would just be more difficult.

Edited by mikeinnaples, 19 February 2015 - 05:55 PM.

#8 Juangalt

• Topic Starter
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:57 PM

Also, why bulletproof? You can't really follow that without pumping your carbs way too high for actualy ketosis.

It was just my introduction to HFLC. I didn't think that there was any requirement for eating carbs on Bulletproof. I mean, sure, you're allowed to leave ketosis on Bulletproof but I think you can be perfectly bulletproof without leaving ketosis. I could be wrong. But I just don't care enough about mycotoxins to want to stay on that diet. Maybe I should. Who knows?

#9 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:09 PM

I edited my original post. Must of been right as you were posting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bodyfat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users