FDA opposing state warnings on canned tuna

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:14 PM

The Bush administration is siding with tuna companies in opposing a lawsuit by the state that would require signs on store shelves or labels on tuna cans in California warning of the dangers of mercury, state Attorney General Bill Lockyer reported Friday.

http://www.sfgate.co...BAGJCEASDU1.DTL

it scarey that they allow more lead and mercury in food than they do in supplements...i cant believe the FDA is opposing prop65, those F*CKERS

#2 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:32 PM

Tuna is usually a good source of protein for me because I only eat chicken, turkey or tuna. Anyone think 2-3 cans of tuna a week could do any long term harm?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:16 PM

1. Use chunk light as it has less mercury.

2. Why guess when you can get your blood levels drawn and find our for sure?

3. http://www.sfms.org/sfm/sfm301d.htm

#4 ajnast4r

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:12 PM

if i ate meat, personally i would limit myself to 1 can of tuna per week... and go with wild caught salmon, which i BELIEVE has no mercury in it...

stick with a pure fishoil & eat chicken imo... chicken & turkey[organic, free rage, vegetarian fed) are the least cancer causing of the meats

#5 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:36 PM

The oceans are now chock full of mercury. Tuna is only singled out 'cause they're rather large and live for a decent length of time whilst accumulating it.

Wild fish will not protect you from mercury.... if you're keeping score your best best bet is to eat fish from exclusively cold waters as they have been found to have lower concentrations.

#6 ajnast4r

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:51 PM

ill take my food mercury free kthx

#7 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:03 PM

...'k, just watch them "free rage" chickens 'cause they'll peck yer anckles bloody !

:)

#8 ajnast4r

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:05 PM

...'k, just watch them "free rage" chickens 'cause they'll peck yer anckles bloody !

:)

lol

#9 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:50 AM

scottl

1. Use chunk light as it has less mercury.

I would sincerely like to see the source on that as I eat canned tuna about twice a week. But...

As far as I'm concerned, anything other than canned whole white Albacore just looks like blender'd chum. I've found the best *price and *quality(solid, unbroken layers, like a round cookiecutter was popped into the side of the fish) to actually be the store brand (Jewel-Osco out here). All the name brands put a layer of the choppy chum at the bottom of their Albacore cans with their good stuff on top and even their good stuff is a grade below the store brand, being all loose and soft. If you've been served sushi enough to have had a few bad experiences then you know how to 'read' the quality of the fish.
The chunk light and all the others just saves me the time of mashing or chewing...but gives me all this great fishy water to press out. Ever notice that 70% of the contents of a can of chunk light is *not* actual fish? The Albacore still comes out a better buy in my book...that is unless the price is higher for the greater concentration of the chem-industries secondhand mercury; bless their hearts, they're selling it to us cheap, they say! Hmm...maybe I will just stick with 'clean' fishoil caps and organic-fed goatein.

#10 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:13 AM

scottl

I would sincerely like to see the source on that as I eat canned tuna about twice a week.  But...

As far as I'm concerned, anything other than canned whole white Albacore just looks like blender'd chum.  I've found the best *price and *quality(solid, unbroken layers, like a round cookiecutter was popped into the side of the fish) to actually be the store brand (Jewel-Osco out here).  All the name brands put a layer of the choppy chum at the bottom of their Albacore cans with their good stuff on top and even their good stuff is a grade below the store brand, being all loose and soft.  If you've been served sushi enough to have had a few bad experiences then you know how to 'read' the quality of the fish.
The chunk light and all the others just saves me the time of mashing or chewing...but gives me all this great fishy water to press out.  Ever notice that 70% of the contents of a can of chunk light is *not* actual fish?  The Albacore still comes out a better buy in my book...that is unless the price is higher for the greater concentration of the chem-industries secondhand mercury; bless their hearts, they're selling it to us cheap, they say!  Hmm...maybe I will just stick with 'clean' fishoil caps and organic-fed goatein.

"I would sincerely like to see the source on that as I eat canned tuna about twice a week. But..."

Consumers report.

"As far as I'm concerned, anything other than canned whole white Albacore..."

I can't stand foods that are dry and vastly prefer it because it is moister.

And really who cares what it looks like? As my parents used to say, is it going in your stomach whole?

#11 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 01:28 PM

Eat solid foods now, scottl... you'll miss them when you get old and toothless. :)

A bit of your favorite high quality oil or 'mayo' does quite well to moisten the firm dry flesh of canned tuna. Mashing softens it. woop.

#12 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:26 PM

Any alerts about salmon? I haven't heard anything about mercury in salmon.

#13 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:02 AM

My friend got a high mercury level from eating fresh salmon every day--salmon has very low levels of mercury.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users