huperzine A, my expirience

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:05 PM

so i took some natures plus hup-A today(my day off)... as an experiment to figure out if it would be an appropriate supplement to use for studying & testing, 1-3 time a week during this semester.

im taking an online class which requires ALOT of reading... i sometimes have a hard time focusing & comprehending the info im reading, if im reading something im not particularly interested in & sometimes with things i am interested in. i have much better comprehention if i can hear & see at the same time, but unfortionatly college doesnt operate that way. my goal was increased focus, and increased comprehention.

i took one 50mcg pill... 1-2 hours or so later i noticed a marked decreased in 'mental noise'. i didnt want to listen to any music, or hear anyone talk... just sit in, and enjoy the silence. its been 3-4 hours and i still have no desire to listen to any music, which i normally would be listening to all day long.

so i sat with a cup of green tea & some lunch, and read a book(albeit a book i was interested in). i noticed that the words i was reading werent 'competing' with other thoughts as i was reading them, they sunk in very clearly.

as far as its effects on memory retention, that has yet to be seen... next week i will try a 50mcg dose, and read my psych book(as opposed to a book from my collection). then a different day, a 100mcg dose and read my psych book again. ill post back next week with the results.

im pretty pleased with the results, its basically exactly what i was looking for. i believe hup-A combined with a small meditation before each studying session/test will be an EXTREMELY effective way to assist my studies.

what about you guys, what have your expiriences been?

#2 calengineering

• 134 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:55 PM

so i took some natures plus hup-A today(my day off)... as an experiment to figure out if it would be an appropriate supplement to use for studying & testing, 1-3 time a week during this semester.

im taking an online class which requires ALOT of reading... i sometimes have a hard time focusing & comprehending the info im reading, if im reading something im not particularly interested in & sometimes with things i am interested in. i have much better comprehention if i can hear & see at the same time, but unfortionatly college doesnt operate that way. my goal was increased focus, and increased comprehention.

i took one 50mcg pill... 1-2 hours or so later i noticed a marked decreased in 'mental noise'. i didnt want to listen to any music, or hear anyone talk... just sit in, and enjoy the silence. its been 3-4 hours and i still have no desire to listen to any music, which i normally would be listening to all day long.

so i sat with a cup of green tea & some lunch, and read a book(albeit a book i was interested in). i noticed that the words i was reading werent 'competing' with other thoughts as i was reading them, they sunk in very clearly.

as far as its effects on memory retention, that has yet to be seen... next week i will try a 50mcg dose, and read my psych book(as opposed to a book from my collection). then a different day, a 100mcg dose and read my psych book again. ill post back next week with the results.

im pretty pleased with the results, its basically exactly what i was looking for. i believe hup-A combined with a small meditation before each studying session/test will be an EXTREMELY effective way to assist my studies.

sorry to dig this out of the grave but I am looking into huperzine A now and would really like to know your current opinion on Huperzine A. Also, some guy on this forum mentioned that young people should not take huperzine A w/ no backing evidence. I'm not sure how credible that is b/c huperzine is very often recommended here.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ingscnixsi

• 20 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 12:08 AM

Nothing, absolutely nothing. At doses of 400 mcgs even. =/

#4 QnoQ

• 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

Nothing, absolutely nothing. At doses of 400 mcgs even. =/

2x

#5 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:58 AM

Depending on how much I take and for how long (average dose for me is 200mcg) I feel more alert, am more easily able to concentrate, process, retain, focus, listen, etc, however, the comedown, where I feel the opposite, is determined in the same way when I stop.

#6 Mista_Bob

• 39 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

I can feel the effects within an hour of a 100-200mcg dose, which i take every two or three days depending on my activities. It makes me feel much like Ben-Aus, alert and able to concentrate, and as such appears to have improved my retention of newly learned material. However, for me, it gives me a substantial mood improvement which may be in part due to an increase in alertness or some sort of choline issue. Maybe I overproduce acetylcholinesterase or don't get enough choline in my diet---not sure.

The few times I have taken it more than two days in a row, the day after I stop I feel physically and mentally lethargic, which can be overcome by a couple extra cups of coffee, or at least subdued.

Overall, I still highly recommend it as something to take occassionally.

#7 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

keeps me up all night and makes me depressed if I take it long. Since just taking choline has the same effects but also increases NGF that is probably better to supplement.

#8 SpawnMoreOverlords

• 58 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:03 PM

Took it for the first time, 3 hours after taking 750mg centro with 3g piracetam. It seems to have completely eliminated the internal dialogue (or a mental noise, however you call it), something Ive been practicing off and on for a month+ but never been able to achieve. Hopefully it's not a placebo.

#9 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:12 PM

I occasionally take the "Source Naturals" brand at 200 mcg. I really have not felt any effect one way or the other and I've tried it alone and with other things like vinpocetine and piracetam and choline. Maybe it's very subtle or maybe I'm taking a bad brand but I don't plan on taking it in the future unless I hear some huge news about it.

#10 SpawnMoreOverlords

• 58 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:20 PM

I occasionally take the "Source Naturals" brand at 200 mcg. I really have not felt any effect one way or the other and I've tried it alone and with other things like vinpocetine and piracetam and choline. Maybe it's very subtle or maybe I'm taking a bad brand but I don't plan on taking it in the future unless I hear some huge news about it.

the brand I tried today is Source Naturals 200mcg as well. I will report on the effect within next few days.

#11 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:32 PM

gives me a substantial mood improvement which may be in part due to an increase in alertness or some sort of choline issue.

Your experience mirrors mine. Definite mood enhancement. Haven't taken Hup-A for quite a while though.

Now, Vitamin D3, that most definitely improves my overall mood.

Edited by pycnogenol, 08 January 2010 - 11:34 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

hup-a is a great agent..... too bad it has antagonistic effects at the NMDA receptor site, or it would be an ideal nootropic.... I take it 2-3x a week, when Im off the piracetam, since their activity via the NMDA receptor seems opposing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users