Soy Milk and Rice Cakes.

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 wraith

• 182 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:51 PM

~Sigh~

maybe this isn't the best I can do...

But what on earth am I going to feed the girl?

And DONT suggest sardines again - she won't even eat tuna salad!

Lots of egg beater omlettes (those she will eat)? But there goes the moderation thing. What if we find out years from now too much lecithin is bad?!

Tons of dairy? What if Set''s right and the pus is bad (even organic milk has pus in it)?!

#62 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:15 PM

But what on earth am I going to feed the girl?

And DONT suggest sardines again - she won't even eat tuna salad!

wraith, get yourself a Japanese cookbook. There are tons of recipes for making fish and fish products taste good. Here are some good ideas, although not all distinctly "fish" ideas. I grew up having these kinds of foods around and loved loved loved meat ever since!
Kamaboko is a a soft fishcake. The white ones with the pink spiral are so cute floating around in your soba you just have to eat 'em! There are some brands that have MSG and some without so read your labels.
Bamboo has some protein and is easy to like.
Quail eggs...YUM.
Tempura made with shrimp, eggplant, sweet potato; super delicious, fried and with bleached flour...can't win all the time.
Tamago...even more YUM.
Salmon roe...to die for...
Yakitori...OMG I miss m'hometown! The mouthwatering scent of this on the summer breeze is sheer heaven...this most succulent, juicy, gobblin' good yotsumi is available as so almost any where you go in Japan the year round...somehow they've ubiquitously learned how to cook chicken properly, a lesson most needed outside their ocean borders.
Azuki beans and paste are really wholesome and tasty with a decent amount of protein. The first link has a 'mentioned' recipe at top right for azuki beans with brown rice...there has to be some protein in there.
Seaweed is high in protein, too. There's some controversy on some types as being mercury contaminated(hijiki...but it's so good! :( ), but do your research and you'll find some good brands that deliver the goodness of this stuff. Putting in in oatmeal, eating it dry, making soup stock, or marinating are some of the options. Oh, my favorite is snacking on sheets of nori used for making sushi; 100 sheets for ~$10.
Mung beans are high in protein and are best fresh when sprouted. They don't taste like much alone but they get the job done in a mix.

There are tons of different sauces and marinades. Don't be deterred by the soy or salt because remember, these things are supposed to be 5-15% of a meal as flavor-explosion bits to mix with your vegetables, seaweeds, and carbs....avoid American mega-portions even if it is the tastiest gyudon you ever did have. Small meals and variation. You might be lucky enough to get your daughter to actually like other kinds of meats and if you keep them organic then both of you should feel safe.

Stay away from most prepacked J-food and also Korean food...too damn salty, too many dyes and preservatives.

Consider using fish paste and fishoil often used for flavor in Thai cooking.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 wraith

• 182 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try, since it all sounds good to me. I'm not much of a cook, though. But my dd rejects very nice restaurant food even more often than mom's.
~~
But mung bean sprouts... the more recent of the two articles I mentioned lists estrogenic activity (as measured by cell proliferation) of mung bean sprouts as higher than soybeans, but lower than kudzu root.
~~
I like quail eggs but dd rejects the yolk, so I think they'd be wasted on her.
~~
But again, thanks much for the suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users