• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about managing the benefits and risks of sun exposure.

sunlight photoaging depression seratonin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Saintless

• 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:15 PM

From what I've read and my personal experience sun exposure boosts vitamin D levels, serotonin and dopamine levels. I feel like avoiding the sun to protect my skin has contributed to my depression.

is UVA, UVB or just visible light necessary for most of these benefits?

Does sunblock inhibit these benefits?

Is most the benefit of sunlight because of exposure on the skin or from just seeing the light through our eyes?

#2 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:56 PM

Have you considered taking supplemental D3?

UVB are the sun rays that generate vitamin D.

Yes sunblock inhibits UVB rays. UVA rays also depending on the type of sunscreen and if used properly. From all I've read, most of the benefits of sunlight are from exposure to the skin. I have read of benefits through the eyes but then you also run into a host of other problems like cataracts and wrinkles around the eyes from not wearing sunglasses. :cool:

Edited by mustardseed41, 03 May 2015 - 11:08 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:03 PM

There are some who believe that supplement D3 will never have the same positive benefits as direct sun exposure will. I've just never been convinced of that argument. What they fail to realize is that the older you get, the harder it is for your body to synthesize vitamin D from the sun. And darker skinned individuals have an even harder time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users