Photo
- - - - -

Another newbie with questions...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 97s281_27

• 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 05:52 AM

Hello, my name is Nick and i've been searching through the threads here for a while now and have some questions regarding nootropics and other supplements. First i'll give ya'll a little back ground to try to help give ya'll an idea of what i'm looking for. I'm 24 years old and am one more semester away from graduating with my masters degree in mechanical engineering. I train with weights 4-5 days a week (I figured i'd mention that since I saw someone looking for help get asked about that in another thread). I am diagnosed as ADHD and have been prescribed/taking Adderall for 4-5 years with my current dosage of Adderall at 20mgx3 each day. I only take my Adderall during the school semester and if there are days that I am not in school all day and or plan on studying all day then I do not take the full doseage. I currently take the following supplements each day:
for weight training purposes - Whey protein powder (a few shakes each day), 5-10g creatine, 5-10g L-Glutamine
other supplements - Natures Plus Ultra S.O.L. multivitamin (2 tabs in morn.), Natures Plus Lecithin gelcaps (2.4g), Red Yeast Rice (1800mg), R-ALA (~600mg), Biotin (10mg), SesaThin by Avant Labs (1.5mlx3=1.8g Sesamin), Tonalin CLA (10-15g), Flax Seed gelcaps (3-4g), Fish Oil gelcaps (6g), B-100 B complex by Now (1 pill in afternoon), GHV from bulknutrition (4 pills = 240mg Ginko Biloba, 100mcg huperzine A, and 20 mg Vinpocetine), L-Tyrosine (2g), Acetyl L-Carnitine (2g).

My first set of questions are what are your thoughts/comments on the supplements I am currently taking? What changes, if any, would you reccomend with my current supplements?

My second question is in regards to the Adderall. I remember seeing supplements mentioned in other threads that help alleviatee possible side effects from usage of medications such as adderall. What are those supplements and what dosages should they be taken at?

My third question is in regards to other supplements you would suggest/reccomend for me. What about Rhodiola, Theanine, CoQ-10, PhosphatidylSerine, Choline? I've seen Piracetam mentioned numerous times before and I am thinking of trying it for my next semester (if not reccomended for now) b/c this is my last semester of course work and next semester I will be working solely on my masters thesis research and possibly 1 or 2 other smaller research products. I do not intend on taking adderall much longer once I graduate so I was thinking of trying the Piracetam then (along with extra Choline and my other supplements) to see if it will help with my ADHD symptoms.

I apologize for this being such a lengthy post but I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide to me with any or all of my questions. If there is any other information that you could use to help you make your suggestions let me know and i'll be glad to give it to you.

Thanks,
Nick

#2 97s281_27

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:48 AM

does anyone have any comments??

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:48 PM

I can only comment on CLA...it's somewhat controversal...many here agree it's more damage than benefit, while companies are still pushing it hard...unless you really need it for some specific purpose i'd get rid of it
also it migh be too much R-ALA (if it's pure R-ALA)

#4 97s281_27

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 03:27 AM

I have been taking the Legal Gear SLIN r-ala but just started using Primaforce Insopro. I plan on taking the CLA out when I finish up what I have left.

#5 vortexentity

• 243 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:33 AM

I took CLA for a while but it was expensive for what I felt was little benifit. That also seems like a lot of R-ALA. I take about 100mg and that is considered high by some. Also I take the ginko 60mg 3 times per day for a total of 180.

If you have ADHD you might consider taking a little DMAE, it helps with it. I take about 100mg when I have symptoms. I also take about 3g per day of Piracetam. If I am going to work late I also take about 1g of Aniracetam during late work because it has a shorter halflife and works well enough to get me through the work.

If you notice you are feeling a bit antsy you might consider reducing the L-Tyrosine you are taking by about half. HMB is one I would add if you can afford it for your weight training. It helps hit the pumps a bit harder.

#6 97s281_27

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for the comments, i'll decrease the R-ALA and give those others a try.

#7 lifemission

• 41 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:02 PM

Vortex, is'nt piracetam the one with the short halflife, aniracetam having a longer one?

#8 jasen

• 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:41 AM

yes lifemission, aniracetam is the fat soluable, much longer half llfe.

Regarding the L-Tyronise, if you got ADD, it will act the same as Adderall, it calms the brain. If anything u could offset some of the adderall for more L Tyronise. But switching the every so often I find very useful. -- Also desmopressin is really good at making the adderall work like it did when you started taking it, meaning this alone could make 10mg work like the 20mg your taking now.

fyi trivial info - l tryonise is excellent for tanning, really helps one not burn and get nice pretty suntan... or just good to help not burn in texas sun.. as i said trival info.

#9 97s281_27

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:46 AM

Thanks for the feedback, i'm going to look into the desmopressin.

#10 LifeMirage

• Life Member
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:15 AM

Red Yeast Rice (1800mg)

It lowers CoQ10 levels in the body.....which is important for energy and strengthens the heart......I would drop it.

#11 exigentsky

• 262 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:07 AM

I agree with Life Mirage, that statin can do even more harm than it does good for your cardiovascular health if you do not supplement with CoQ10.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 vortexentity

• 243 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 02:21 PM

I find Aniracetam stronger but lasts half as long as Piracetam. It is stronger at first but it is gone in 2-3 hours as far as noteworthy effect. Piracetam last about 6 hours for me. Oxiracetam is as strong as Aniracetam but last as long as Piracetam if not longer. That has been my experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users