Photo
- - - - -

How much of the Bs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pars

• 25 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:13 PM

After some reading here and in some other forums, I upped my intake of the B vitamins. I take a multi with what can be called B-50 and then another B-50 in the middle of the day. I excersize 4-5 days a week /half resistance training, half cardio/.
Generally I definitely feel better after having increased my Bs - some mild muscle tension has gone and I have the feeling that I breath more lightly and more deeply although it can only be a placebo effect, I still can not say for sure.
However, today I came across this one:

http://www.acu-cell.com/bx.html

and out of the sudden my "world ruined".
From what I could comprehend from the article, it seems that one has to be a proffessor of biology and go through extensive /and most likely quite expensive/ tests every time he changes something in his diet/supplementation/lifestyle to determine the proper doze of each B. If not, to stay safe, no more than 10-15 gr. should be exceeded?
Can someone explain to me if this is really true and yes, can someone tell me if he has EVER experienced increase in stress rather than decrease as result of B-complex megadozes. Another question: as water-soluble vitamin isn't it supposed that the unused part is excreted?
Sorry for my English, I am not a native speaker.

#2 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:21 PM

You have to be careful with what you believe from health info sources. If I tried to follow every piece of diet and supplementation advice I had ever come across, I'd be dead because it's all contradictory and I wouldn't be able to eat any food or take any pills. I recommend you search AORsupport's posts for B-vitamin amounts (or perhaps there are some articles at aor.ca). AOR seems to be one of the few companies that undertakes exhaustive review of scientific literature before formulating their products. Certainly, some B vitamins can be taken in higher amounts than others. I take 5mg of methylcobalamin (b12) sublingually, which is many many 1000s of times greater than the RDA but perfectly safe and actually extremely beneficial for health. Others (folic acid jumps to mind) are best kept to a safer lower level. Hope this helps.

Welcome to the Immortality Institute.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:32 PM

Agreed with the caveat, but I think AOR's recommendations on B vit amounts....are not optimal. See the thread I started on Kurzweil's recommenations. Those are fairly...mainstream.

#4 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:50 PM

dantecubit do you see any visible effects from 5mg methylcobalamin? I've been trying cyanocobalamin (i know it's not near as potent as methyl) in doses of around 5 mg daily, but i didn't feel any change

#5 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:31 PM

Scott, I agree with your comments in another thread that B-25 or 50 pills are highly arbitrary, and for some B vitamins, more than what AOR includes is optimal or even necessary. Have you been able to find a good B-vitamin product with optimal amounts?

Da Sense, I originally bought methylcobalamin to treat occasional, severe insomnia. My insomnia however... is not of this world and nothing has touched it. Thankfully it only comes occasionally. As for a lot of supps, the effects are hard to describe. It doesn't come on as strong as piracetam, say, but it definitely has slight noticeable effects. I like it and I would take it everyday if it were cheaper.
AOR article on methyl b12

#6 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:23 PM

Dantecubit,

If it wasn't for a peculiarity of my body's reaction to supps, I'd just take the LEF multi and modify from there....much simpler then what I've been doing.

I've been taking a twinlab multi and adding a few B-25s. Although pioneeer has a good multi. I'm not sure how much Bs it has thought, and if I go look now my puter will freeze (I hate adobe PDFs). I'll probably just swiitch to it and add whatever is needed.

#7 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:32 AM

dantecubit
i used B12 for increased energy...but nothing ;)

#8 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:36 PM

I want to have a higher dose of my B's but can't find any chewables anywhere... I have always had a problem swallowing capsules :(

Or maybe I could empty the contents of the capsule and consume it with something?

edit:

Just found "B-Complex, 50 Chewables" but on an american site. Anyone know where I can get B complex 25 or 50 on a UK website?

#9 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2005 - 12:06 AM

I want to have a higher dose of my B's but can't find any chewables anywhere...  I have always had a problem swallowing capsules :(

Or maybe I could empty the contents of the capsule and consume it with something?

edit:

Just found  "B-Complex, 50 Chewables"  but on an american site.  Anyone know where I can get B complex 25 or 50  on a UK website?

source naturals makes a co-enzymated sublingual...

i personally have gone from 50mg/each to 100mg/each to less than 10mg/each... and i feel no difference at all...

go with what your body feels is good, everyone is different...

#10 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:02 AM

I want to have a higher dose of my B's but can't find any chewables anywhere...  I have always had a problem swallowing capsules :(

edit:

Just found  "B-Complex, 50 Chewables"  but on an american site.  Anyone know where I can get B complex 25 or 50  on a UK website?

source naturals makes a co-enzymated sublingual...

i personally have gone from 50mg/each to 100mg/each to less than 10mg/each... and i feel no difference at all...

go with what your body feels is good, everyone is different...

Are you sure that how ones feels is a reliable measure of b vitamin status? Would you change your mind if your homocysteine was..sky high?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 motomatt

• 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:55 PM

edit:

I don't like b-comp capsules either, and chewables would have to have something to hide the awful taste.
I like tabs, no awful burps or stomach problems,I think a sublingual b-12 is important because of poor absortion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users