• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

Chicago meeting: July 25th 2015

meeting chicago 2015

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:43 PM

Finally, the date has been set. It will be the weekend of June 13/14 (2015). In Chicago. The exact place and time is yet to be determined.

The Clark street location of Native foods. July 25th, at 11:00 a.m. Informal. Lunch meeting/social. Chicago.

Edited by Mind, 14 July 2015 - 06:58 PM.

#2 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:50 PM

Speak up and let me know if you will be able to attend. That way we will be able to plan appropriately.

#3 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

Members: Please add your name to this thread if you plan to attend, so that we can firm up headcount as the date nears.

Moderators:  Please sticky this thread and/or use other methods of notifying the user base.

Edited by Mind, 14 July 2015 - 06:58 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:01 PM

So far we have 5 confirmed. Post here if you will be attending.

Edited by Mind, 14 July 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#5 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:31 PM

Last call. Clark street native foods in Chicago. 11 a.m. on Saturday, July 25th.

#6 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:52 PM

Good to see everyone there.

The smoothie I typically eat at 11 AM when I break my daily fast:  Video explanation.  Blog post.

#7 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:41 PM

It was a nice little sociable. Hopefully we can do it again soon. It is nice to meet face to face. The conversation just seems so much more real and substantive.

I was happy to hear the ideas that people had for improving LongeCity.

#8 James Cain

• Guest, F@H
  • 229 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:45 PM

I don't post much anymore but still peruse the forums. It was great to meet up, meeting some old and new (to me) members alike.

#9 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:20 PM

I don't post much anymore but still peruse the forums. It was great to meet up, meeting some old and new (to me) members alike.

Given your extensive knowledge of human biology and nutrition, I would encourage more participation.  ;)

#10 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:35 PM

The "meeting" could be more characterized as a social event...a chance for members to meet face-to-face and discuss the challenges of creating and living unlimited lifespans.

In attendance were Breestyle, James Cain, Prophets, Mind, and Ragtopchristy.

I did ask for ideas about LongeCity.

A couple of main themes emerged:

1. The LongeCity website could be redesigned to be easier to navigate and figure out what LongeCity is and why/how it is useful. This was mainly a point about navigation, not that the forums needed to be completely redesigned. The front page could be simplified a bit. Short explanatory videos such as Peter suggested could help guide new arrivals.

2. The forums would be better if we developed a more distinct division between experts and non-experts. This has been mentioned several times in the past as well, and we do have a forum labeled "elite". A suggestion was that only members - with an invitation - could post in the expert (or elite) forum. Everyone could read these forums, but only the invited members could post (another member perk).

3. Another suggestion was that we should pay for an standard accounting software like Intuit (as long as it is only $250 per year or so, like before), or Zen.

#11 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 02:20 AM

1. The LongeCity website could be redesigned to be easier to navigate and figure out what LongeCity is and why/how it is useful. This was mainly a point about navigation, not that the forums needed to be completely redesigned. The front page could be simplified a bit. Short explanatory videos such as Peter suggested could help guide new arrivals.

I think the site needs to be far more extensible.  I touch on some of this below in #2.

2. The forums would be better if we developed a more distinct division between experts and non-experts. This has been mentioned several times in the past as well, and we do have a forum labeled "elite". A suggestion was that only members - with an invitation - could post in the expert (or elite) forum. Everyone could read these forums, but only the invited members could post (another member perk).

I think content needs to be more readily sortable and high quality posts easier to locate.  I think the approach reddit takes with upvoting/downvoting posts is nice in highlighting valuable content.  I think you could have user ratings where very knowledgeable people might have their postings start out with bonus points.  For example a very highly rated contributor (Niner, Darryl, Scienceguy etc.) might automatically have a +20 to their postings based on their historical values, where as a newbie would start out at +1.  Then allowing users to select what level posts they want to see (i.e., restrict viewing to +5 quality posts) would be helpful in sorting through riff raff.  Posts could then be upvoted/downvoted further based on quality.

I also think the platform/system needs to be more extensible and sortable by content type.  As I've mentioned before, it would be nice to see specific postings for every testimonial on C60, very brief, very succinct.  It would also be nice to see content related to certain pathologies/topics (i.e. alzheimers or allotopic expression) sortable and expanded further by specific subtopics (i.e. hyper phosphorylation of tau centric vs. beta amyloid immunotherapy vs. specific supplements vs. specific drugs vs. exercise).  Such that there is only 1 specific discussion area talking about exercise and how it interacts with alzheimer's.  

We could write bots and screen for content on pubmed related to these subjects, such that as new published research appears ("Exercise + Alzheimer's"), it will auto update to this subtopic and alert all subscribed followers.

3. Another suggestion was that we should pay for an standard accounting software like Intuit (as long as it is only $250 per year or so, like before), or Zen.

I would look at www.freshbooks.com, although I'm sure quickbooks is fine.

I think charities typically spend ~20% on administrative costs and overhead.  To spend $0 and run things out of excel worksheets is kind of madness.

Edited by prophets, 23 August 2015 - 02:23 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: meeting, chicago, 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users