• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

what are some nootropics to avoid falling in love?

love oxytocin neurotransmitter nootropic

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#181 Anthropositor

• 40 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:06 PM

Certainly ethics have a role in this subject, though ethics did not seem high on the list of considerations on this thread when I first saw it.  A famous comedic celebrity is prominent in the news with frequent and increasing allegations that decades ago he repeatedly used Quaalude's as a date rape drug to induce an unconscious or helpless state with various women who otherwise would have been less than likely to have engaged in sexual activity with him.

He has now spent a fortune to repair his previously scintillating reputation as a role model for generations of young people of his ethnic extraction.  To date he has escaped imprisonment, but his conviction in the court of public opinion is not likely to be overturned.

His actions were likely compulsive and irrational.  Mentally ill, antisocial and criminal.  Thousands of less famous men without his advantages are jailed for years, then semi-released on parole, and are permanently required to register as sex offenders.  Unlike parole, this requirement does not expire.  He will very possibly avoid these technical requirements, but for practical purposes, reporters will remind us of his violations until his release from his now untenable, perhaps even unbearable life.

Quaalude's have not been legally available for years.  Other date-rape drugs are still legal, and are often used criminally.

Now we are talking about pheromones that do not make the victim unconscious but can certainly make her more receptive than she might otherwise have been.  They can be used undetectably.  What is our responsibility?  In the absence of legal issues, does anyone here even care?  I doubt it.  

#182 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 July 2015 - 05:37 PM

I nominate this for the worst thread on Longecity in 2015.

• Cheerful x 3
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#183 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:31 PM

I nominate this for the worst thread on Longecity in 2015.

I second that motion.

#184 Anthropositor

• 40 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:24 PM

It has been nominated and seconded.  Certainly elements are shocking and illogical, even appalling, and opinions are all over the map.  This is not all bad.  I notice the mover and seconder did not give us the concrete reasons for the motion.  I suspect there are readers out there who are astonished at what they read, are getting something out of it, and are remaining mute.  Good thinking.

Being new here, I have not read every thread of this year.  Perhaps one day I will learn the ropes of this particular system to be able to do that.  My first post here was motivated only to bring a bit of aid to a troubled fellow.  It was unheard.  So be it.

To cast an informed vote I would have to learn how to isolate all 2015 threads, read them all, compare each with this one, and then decide how to vote.  Hardly seems a fruitful activity.

Niner expressed his disapproval of the one click approve or nuke Buttons, used in the extreme on this thread.  I heartily agree. Now that I have agreed, should I not concretely say what is wrong with them?  No one has to explain their perspective.  

Consider a Why? Button that will appear anytime one of these other buttons is pushed, and will not allow the 1 click opinion to register on the screen until an actual opinion had been made by a poster ready to identify himself and stand behind what he says in the light of day.

Were this to happen, I predict a reduction to the button pushing of more than 90%.   And the opinions will probably have some actual value.  The button-flamers will just disappear into the void where they belong.  That's a happy ending.

#185 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:39 PM

Niner expressed his disapproval of the one click approve or nuke Buttons, used in the extreme on this thread.  I heartily agree. Now that I have agreed, should I not concretely say what is wrong with them?  No one has to explain their perspective.  

Consider a Why? Button that will appear anytime one of these other buttons is pushed, and will not allow the 1 click opinion to register on the screen until an actual opinion had been made by a poster ready to identify himself and stand behind what he says in the light of day.

Were this to happen, I predict a reduction to the button pushing of more than 90%.   And the opinions will probably have some actual value.  The button-flamers will just disappear into the void where they belong.  That's a happy ending.

That's certainly an interesting idea, when you say that I think about the way drugs-forum does it.

That would be cool if someone had the option to leave a one-liner reason, but I wouldn't want it to be required, just because cleverly used buttons can bring some humor into an otherwise dry, stupid, or obnoxious thread.

My favorite example would be something like this:

Someone makes a short post (just a few sentences) that contains far left-field conjecture or voodoo science and presents it as if it's something that should be taken seriously.

One of the readers clicks the "well researched" button.

:-D 

It doesn't need anything else, in fact I think if there was some explanation or name after it, it would detract from the impact of the irony. 

• WellResearched x 1
  • dislike x 1

#186 Anthropositor

• 40 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:47 AM

I don't expect emoticons to express irony or sarcasm or any other complex thought.  "Like" buttons on Facebook?  I don't use them. LMAO, omg, friending without any actual followup that actually expresses something real that goes deeper than Hi,  these are some of the many reasons  my Facebook gets a brief look from me every few months, or less.  Discourse is in great danger.  Don't you notice?  We need much more of it, not less. 

People are actually addicted to texting!  Enough to die for it.  Enough to kill for it.  Enough to indiscriminately maim for it.  Enough to be imprisoned for vehicular manslaughter for it.  And as far as I can tell, it is largely nonsense.  I can't think of a single meaningful or memorable text that I have ever seen.  Texters behind the wheel are as dangerous as drunk drivers and multitaskers who are convinced the can talk, listen, fiddle with the CD or radio AND drive safely simultaneously.  They can't!  These people are every bit as dangerous as a teen driver in a car packed with animated friends who just want to have fun.  Sleepiness is a crime behind the wheel.  A crime we all have committed at one time or another.

We can study nutrition and medicine and pharmacology and every element of aging abatement, and still be taken out of life by a chance exposure to inattention or negligence on the highway. 

#187 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:20 PM

I don't use Facebook.   There was a time when I used it only for debating in certain groups, but they changed the message board format and the quality of discussion immediately decayed.  I got bored and abandoned it.  I never bothered to browse other people's pages and whatnot, I still don't get what's so fascinating about it.  That shit is boring.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#188 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:21 AM

I'm trying to analyze something here. Sometimes when a person likes someone they act as if they hate them. I wonder what "type" of "like" is this? It seems a bit obsessive? Sadistic? I see this more often coming from women towards men, which is why the divorce filers are mostly women. But to be fair, the only time I see this type of "like" from guys is when the girl is too cute but didn't sleep with him that he starts "hating" her despite that he is really into her. Although this is "rare" because, if the guy started to act like an asshole, he just lost all his chances with her. You hear me?

An example of this that I could think of is something like when an indie band makes it to mainstream; all of a sudden some fans think they sold out therefore they hate the band now, yet they still love the band (considering the fans still follow and bought the band's more mainstream offerings). What kind of "like" is this? I've heard of terms "crazy love" or "hard love", but it's just sadistic that one would do this to someone they actually like. It's almost as if one of those "if I can't have you no one else should" type of situation (which sometimes lead to murder/suicide we've all read about celebrities).

I guess some "fans" of the band that made it to the mainstream (from indie beginnings), feel as if they were "left out" that they want that band to stay small or fall back down to that level, then they love you again. In other words, the indie fans do not want everyone else to like the band that they liked FIRST? Which is why I think sometimes women do not like guys that are cuter than them because they're thinking other women might take him? But usually guys prefer their girls prettier, doesn't really matter if another guy takes her as long as he got his shot at her (plus simply because women do not just go with someone else like that unless the deal here is he had Bill Gates money)?

I've heard married guys mention something like after you marry them (the women), they become mean, etc. My observation of mothers as well is that when they do not like what the father is doing (whatever it may be), she takes all he has/co owns (kids, house, everything) and file for divorce and pretty much be in control and be celibate for years (which turns them into this one mean cranky person). My mom was like this towards the step father (and I'm sure was worse with my father). She obviously was the one that was more in love with the guy, but her mentality is that if she can't get his full attention and can't tame him, it's a problem. 

Edited by eon, 03 August 2015 - 07:30 AM.

#189 drg

• 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:25 PM

Trying to understnd why people do what they do is like stepping into a bad acid trip. People are illogical.

#190 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:09 AM

Sad isn't it?  :sad:

Trying to understnd why people do what they do is like stepping into a bad acid trip. People are illogical.

#191 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:28 AM

anyone here know of a good book that was written or based on Buddha's teachings? I came a cross a quote that said "Buddha said attachments cause men to fail". I believe that was the quote I wanted to bring up instead of such a silly thread title/topic I started. Something about being involve with an older woman seems better for me than someone younger than me and or about my age. Not sure why this is. Seems as if I do not get too attached to the older significant other and neither did she. Just fun.

#192 drg

• 332 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:00 PM

https://www.reddit.c...ddhism/wiki/faq

• like x 1

#193 hall

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:02 AM

You are actually asking for something that might be more dangerous to your brain chemistry than the actual experience of falling in love of which you are afraid. You realize that this whole endeavour is already a part of her game? You have to turn the tables on her.

Ok, maybe I am just more emotionally blunted and this will be not feasible for you, but often I can easily get discouraged to go for a woman just by talking to her. I don't mean flirting, but try some "dry" intellectual talk. Ask her about books she read, serious art she is interested in (painters, poets), ask her about her favorite Plato's dialogue or favorite Japanese movie director. Go further and start the analysis of these works, why you think they are really important or special, how intellectually stimulating they can be if fully experienced. Be critical about some current trends in contemporary popular culture she either is neutral towards or endorses them. Criticize conventional opinions which she almost certainly holds (it can at least show you if she is sincere with you or just want to appeal to you through poseurism and hypocrisy). Ask her about the current immigrant crisis in the EU or mexican immigration if you are from the US and try to go to the bottom of things (maybe she is a dehumanizing bitch!).

If you find her irresistibly hot and the above method isn't effective to put her off and to lose your interest in her seeing her superficiality, try to think about her body objectively, mentally break down her body into parts, become aware of their function, try to realize that there are billions of the same bodies and their differences are, in the end, negligible. Try to imagine her when she was a child and how she will look in 30 years. 

Just use your imagination along these lines and you will be at least more detached and rational about the whole affair. If she "passes the test" and you will get even closer, you would probably be crazy not to at least make a good friend of her. 

Hope this helps. 

• like x 1

#194 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 03:00 AM

anyone here know of a good book that was written or based on Buddha's teachings? I came a cross a quote that said "Buddha said attachments cause men to fail". I believe that was the quote I wanted to bring up instead of such a silly thread title/topic I started. Something about being involve with an older woman seems better for me than someone younger than me and or about my age. Not sure why this is. Seems as if I do not get too attached to the older significant other and neither did she. Just fun.

Try this, I think you can get a copy for $.01 on Amazon:

" If the Buddha Dated: A Handbook for Finding Love on a Spiritual Path" by Deckle Edge

Someone told me I should read it. And I do like the name of the author. But that someone who suggested reading Deckle Edge's boom is stalking me. So I'm not reading it. But it looks like your kinda read, man. And it's short. Report back, let us know if it's worth the $.01

#195 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:51 AM

This is so poetic, I like it. A bit prophetic as well considering the rest at work finally figured her out after I already did at the start of this thread. She was just fired. Her firing has nothing to do with what she has been playing with me or perhaps with other people as well but for other reasons. But I think the firing managers knew the obvious all along since it's not hard to tell sometimes (plus considering I finally spoke about her to these "firing managers", nothing bad about her, just the facts on what she had been doing. It was up to anyone to determine what her deal was). The managers all had her on their "shitlist" for several months now, actually prior to her firing, which saddened me. I must be whipped.

Her narcissistic personality disorder (which she does not know she has, no one ever does really) finally got the best of her. I did some "stalking" on her and found some revealing details. She may not even know she still has them out in the open online but a savvy researcher (even amateurs could pull it off) will reveal some info. about the person. Her persistence with her head games paid off though as she made sure I "got in it" by way of eye contact and gestures. She made sure she got inside my head (she did), but I'm sure I got in her head as well considering she had set her eyes on me as the one she wanted to pull "the game" on. And upon further research, I believe her family suffers from strokes and Alzheimer's so my assumption is since it is genetics, she may be showing some signs of a mental defect (her brain may not be wired "right"). And upon further research/stalking, I do not believe she has finished more than the 10th grade of high school. One manager at the work place had mentioned when she first came in to work that "she is all boobs and hips, and no brains". This tells me that her "biological instinct" is making her use her sex appeal to get what she wants as her "smarts" are lacking (she doesn't know this, so her primitive instincts are guiding her for survivalism). If one has to look at this from a biological and historical perspective, she's trying to survive by using sex/appeal so men would look out for her (just like since the beginning of time, when all they ever had to do was make someone...cum). She's hot though.  :wub:

You are actually asking for something that might be more dangerous to your brain chemistry than the actual experience of falling in love of which you are afraid. You realize that this whole endeavour is already a part of her game? You have to turn the tables on her.

Ok, maybe I am just more emotionally blunted and this will be not feasible for you, but often I can easily get discouraged to go for a woman just by talking to her. I don't mean flirting, but try some "dry" intellectual talk. Ask her about books she read, serious art she is interested in (painters, poets), ask her about her favorite Plato's dialogue or favorite Japanese movie director. Go further and start the analysis of these works, why you think they are really important or special, how intellectually stimulating they can be if fully experienced. Be critical about some current trends in contemporary popular culture she either is neutral towards or endorses them. Criticize conventional opinions which she almost certainly holds (it can at least show you if she is sincere with you or just want to appeal to you through poseurism and hypocrisy). Ask her about the current immigrant crisis in the EU or mexican immigration if you are from the US and try to go to the bottom of things (maybe she is a dehumanizing bitch!).

If you find her irresistibly hot and the above method isn't effective to put her off and to lose your interest in her seeing her superficiality, try to think about her body objectively, mentally break down her body into parts, become aware of their function, try to realize that there are billions of the same bodies and their differences are, in the end, negligible. Try to imagine her when she was a child and how she will look in 30 years. 

Just use your imagination along these lines and you will be at least more detached and rational about the whole affair. If she "passes the test" and you will get even closer, you would probably be crazy not to at least make a good friend of her. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by eon, 23 November 2015 - 07:00 AM.

#196 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:05 AM

I must be looking at a different book since I can't find one with the author Deckle Edge...

Try this, I think you can get a copy for $.01 on Amazon:

" If the Buddha Dated: A Handbook for Finding Love on a Spiritual Path" by Deckle Edge

Someone told me I should read it. And I do like the name of the author. But that someone who suggested reading Deckle Edge's boom is stalking me. So I'm not reading it. But it looks like your kinda read, man. And it's short. Report back, let us know if it's worth the $.01

#197 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 April 2022 - 06:26 AM

Too much love, empathy or connection to human being or other things deludes ones thinking (I guess like with every other emotion etc). I take PEA it is found in high levels in psychopaths.

Edited by kurdishfella, 20 April 2022 - 06:26 AM.

#198 bce

• 12 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 12:43 PM

Low dose Buspirone...  partial 5-HT(1A) agonist, increases beta-endorphine and oxytocin.

Love becomes really distant.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#199 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2022 - 01:06 PM

Also I think you confused love and lust with each other.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: love, oxytocin, neurotransmitter, nootropic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users