• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

I need advice from Lifemirage, Jonhmk, etc.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 justinb

• 726 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:59 AM

Problems:
A.D.D.
Depression.
Anxiety.

Medication:
Prozac
Adderall

Things I want to improve:

Systems:
Hemespheric Integration
Reaction Time
Digit Span and all short term memory systems.... (Working Memory)

Tasks:
Reading Speed
Numeracy
Typing Speed

Any advice from anyone is welcome.

I need advice on what Nootropics to take and in what quantities, schedules, etc.

#2 enemy

• 154 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:25 AM

You're going to be fighting an uphill battle against the relatively profound effects those two heavy-hitters (prozac and amphetamine).

I would still recommend piracetam, in two divided 1.6g - 2.4g doses (morning and afternoon), although it's effects will be subtle in comparison.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 exigentsky

• 262 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:14 AM

"Digit Span and all short term memory systems.... (Working Memory)"

Digit span can be improved very efficiently through mnemonic techniques. Pick up a copy of "Your Memory : How It Works and How to Improve It" and learn the peg system of mememory. Once you do that you will be able to (with some practice) consistently recall numbers spanning over 30 digits without difficulty.

#4 johnmk

• 429 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:35 AM

I'd suggest the following as a start:

*Piracetam 2-5g/day, spread out over two or three doses

*A choline source

*Galantamine starting off at 4mg/day, then a week later up to 8mg/day in two divided doses. GalantaMind found at iHerb is a reputable and cheap source for galantamine. You'd have to ask LifeMirage or somebody else with more knowledge if higher doses than this are useful. I'm presently on 8mg/day in one dose in the AM and have noticed little so far, perhaps just a tad (if that) in the way of recall.

*Look into centrophenoxine and pyritinol

*Selegiline starting at 1.25mg/day, perhaps up to 2.5mg/day would be acceptable as well.

*L-tyrosine might be worth experimenting with (empty stomach, along with all your other empty-stomach meds)

Others might come up with a few more nootropics to help you, unfortunately I really need to dose some sleep right about now.

PS: I and others will naturally hope you have your diet, multivitamin/mineral, exercise, healthy outlook on life, etc., 100% covered. :)

#5 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:10 AM

PS: I and others will naturally hope you have your diet, multivitamin/mineral, exercise, healthy outlook on life, etc., 100% covered. :)

...and time scheduling, study habits, and due practice with reading and typing

JMK's nootropic suggestions are good imo, except I would say start with the piracetam and choline, then wait several weeks before adding the others. After all, you may not need more, or, like me, you may find you do not like the effects of racetams/choline.

#6 losty

• 75 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:15 AM

Though I understand the concerns raised here over the lazy fix psychology I thought I would bring up a point. Some people having squeezed max performance from "having their shit together" look to nootropics/supplements to go an extra mile. Other people NEED them(or medication eg. adderall) to BE ABLE to get their shit together. Good study habits, quality practice and being organized in general is hard for someone who is a scatterbrained disorganeistro. Justin could fit in either category or somewhere inbetween.

You should be functioning 100% b4 trying nootropics! What if you need them just to get to 100%?

I have been experimenting with nootropics for just under two months and fall under the scatterbrain category. Nootropics are having a snowball effect on my life. Im starting to "get my shit together" and acquire good habits etc.

Out

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 virago

• 13 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:24 PM

I am in somewhat of the same situation, as I also suffer from ADD, depression, and anxiety, and am attempting to treat them with natural therapies instead of prescription drugs. I've researched all of it a fair amount. Here's my recommendations, or at least what's been working for me:

ADD

*fish oils- Omega-3s are great, esp from fish oils. I do 3 capsules of 1000mg fish oil daily
*magnesium- most people with ADD have a magnesium deficiency. I take a multivitamin with 200mg magnesium in it, and supplement an additional 500/day.
*DMAE/centro- I'm currently taking 250mg of DMAE daily, but will switch to Centro when I get more money =) (Centrophenoxine- sorta a stronger, better version of DMAE, both boost choline, DMAE has been shown to help with attention and focus)
*huperzine a/galantamine- both are acetylcholinesterase inhibitors, help with memory, focus, etc. Galantamine is better, in 4-8mg doses. The usual dose of Huperzine-A is 100mg

Other supplements that are good for ADD:

*Vinpocetine
*Pyrinitol

As far as the depression and anxiety go, those are caused by imbalances of one or more major neurotransmitters, usually GABA and/or serotonin (these neurotransmitters generally have a calming effect, and anxiety is usually an indication of an underbalance of one or the other). It really depends on the person, though, and I can't offer any definite recommendations without some more information. For tips on which supplements to take in order to best counteract your depression and anxiety, read The Edge Effect by Dr. Eric Braverman.

Drop me a line if you'd like some more info. Good luck!

-Vira

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users