• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

How reliable is the molecular distillation of fish oil?

fish oil molecular distillation toxins metals

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:01 AM

I have a fish oil supplement from the Vitamin Shoppe and it says that it’s molecularly distilled. That sounds reassuring, but I read online that not all brands that claim to be molecularly distilled are completely free of toxins. I’m skeptical, though, because most of these sources also offered fish oil brands of their own--“reliable alternatives.” Basically I just want to know if I should be concerned about the fish oil I’m taking. I thought I’d ask here because whenever I look online I find somebody trying to sell me something. 

Thanks, guys!

-Nicholas

Edited by N.T.M., 09 July 2015 - 06:03 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

Molecular distillation is a type of vacuum distillation.  This allows oils to be distilled at low temperatures so that they aren't damaged by heat.  Distillation in general is a good way to purify things, and I'd expect that it would reduce the concentration of any toxins by a lot.  Nothing is completely free of toxins, including whatever alternative oil these guys are trying to sell you.   Consumers Report looked at fish oils some years back, and they found that mercury and PCB contamination was pretty much a non-issue, as I recall.   Just get oil from a quality producer with a large enough operation to be able to afford testing, and you should be ok.

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 N.T.M.

• Topic Starter
  • 640 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:10 AM

Thank you for the response. It was informative.

• Enjoying the show x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fish oil, molecular distillation, toxins, metals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users