• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

What Constitutes "me"?

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

• Lurker

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:24 AM

I was simply trying to avoid using anything too close to identical twins in my example. You could swap the two descents in the example. Women could substitute "woman" for "man." Nothing insulting. degrading, disrespectful, or insensitive was intended in the hypothetical example. However, I am open to whatever suggestions you may have to change the two descents to whatever you prefer provided no one else would be offended. Please let me know and I could edit the post.

I believe he was kidding, Clifford.

In which thread would you like to continue this discussion? In The New You thread or this thread?

#152 Clifford Greenblatt

• 355 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:33 AM

I happen to be a man of central African descent, you insensitive clod! *Runs away weeping*

I have rewritten my original post below. See if this works better.

The concern in this thread appears to be for preservation of personal identity. There seems to be no concern for such preservation in the case of gradual modification of a continuous person. However, many seem to argue that a person can never again exist if the spatio-temporal continuity is broken. As discussed in some other threads, naturalism philosophy presents fundamental problems for this position. Logical application of naturalism philosophy dictates that spatio-temporal continuity does not necessarily preserve the essence of a person and that the essence of a person can be continued without necessity of spatio-temporal continuity. Only the present physical state of a given person is essential to the subjective identity of the person as viewed from that person’s perspective.

Consider some arbitrary person who is ethnically different from you but is of approximately the same age and approximately the same intelligence. Now, suppose “you” are able to live for millions of years without ever losing spatio-temporal continuity of animation. However, after a million years, “you” have been radically transformed into a posthuman through a very long process of gradual modification. Memories of “your” early years have been gradually moved to an historical storage vault to make room for filling “your” mind with much greater things. After a million years, gradual changes have accumulated to extremely radical changes both physically and mentally. Despite some significant differences, the ethnically different person has a great deal in common with you both mentally and physically but the posthuman “you” is much more like an alien from another galaxy. To be consistent with naturalism philosophy, the ethnically different person would have to come radically closer to qualifying as being “you” than the posthuman “you”.

#153 Clifford Greenblatt

• 355 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:00 PM

In which thread would you like to continue this discussion? In The New You thread or this thread?

This thread should be the most appropriate because it is under the proper category and is highly relevant to the discussion.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#154 rillastate

• 83 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 05:22 PM

If I upload my brain, will that upload be me?

If I clone myself and download my brain into that clone, will the clone be me?

If I copy my brain, only one neuron at a time, replacing each neuron with that copy, over a long period of time, will I still be me at the end? When will have the transition occured?
................................................................................

Excellent topic. I have actually thought about this briefly before while driving in the car with some friends. I asked them if we made an exact copy of ourselves, would you consider that copy to be you. We didn't get to deep into the topic by any means though. It was only like a minute or so conversation on it. Here is my answer though..

I remember watching some documentary on The Unified Theory of Everything or something and towards the end a few of the scientests pondered the idea that our brains may not be hardwired to solve such a question/paradox. This seems like an equally difficult topic to think about. We may not know until we find out. [:o] Perhaps it'll all make perfect sense by the time we have the technology or perhaps it'll remain a philosophical question for a long time. But..

My response is that it would not be me, only a duplicate of me, not the original me, therefor not the real me.

It is not me because right now I can easily, honestly and comfortably say "it's" not me, but I can't even begin to try to convince myself that "I'm" not me. I assume when an exact copy of myself is made, if it turns out to be me, I should easily, honestly, and comfortably be able to say something like "This is me here and this is me there" and the "me" over there should be able to agree with me that I am him and he is me and that we are both CONNECTED to eachother.

If, in 50 years, I were to create an exact copy of myself, atom by atom and from every chemical reation ever produced to every sound ever heard, the copy, no matter how exact, would not be me because "I" am the one who has actually experienced with my personal flesh and blood what the mere copy of me artifically "remembers." Therefore in order to be truly me, the copy of me would have to be able to genuenly feel and know what I feel and know and I would have to be able to feel and know what the copy of me feels and knows; and we'd both have to feel and know THAT the other one feels and knows WHAT we feel and know.

Even in an extremely hypothetical case where an exact duplicate of myself is, at the same moment, experiencing everthing exactly how I am, (whether it be in an alternate/parallel universe where everything is the is always, has always and will always be the same or a live streaming upload into another brain or virtual file...etc) it would still not be me because there can only be one me at anytime.

Now that I think about it, there is one scenario I have thought up that I can imagine where there could be an exception to creating two REAL Yous or Mes - Putting the very same exact mind in two seperate entities instead of creating a new mind. In split-brain operations where the corpus callosum is split, the two sides of the brain are believed by most to have gone from one mind to 2 seperate minds or from 2 seperate minds to 2 seperate and disconnected minds. Either way, if there were a way to pull apart the two sides of the brain, put one half in one body/entity and the other half in another body/entity, while somehow maintaining perfect connection between the two sides of the brain, then you would have, in theory, ONE MIND IN TWO BODIES! There were some in the past and some now who propose the idea that if you take the brain of subject A, split the brain and put 1 half in subject B's emty skull and put the other half in subject C's empty skull then one of the few possible outcomes may be that both subject B and subject C will be Subject A. <-this idea is rejected by most...me too.

But, on the subject of copies and preserving ones true self, I have just thought of something that got me extremely excited.

What if one were to make clone/duplicate of his body and replicate his brain from every memory to every thought. You would have an exact copy of yourself, but it would not truly be yourself because your mind and the copy's mind are completely seperate. What if you were able to create a true connection from your brain to your copies brain like that of your left brain hemisphere to your right so that your mind becomes one with your copy?

The question I pose is this - If you can find a way to connect two full brains via the same giant mass of nerve that connects the 2 sides of one brain, would you get 2 connected brains that form one mind?

Sounds abstract, but it may not be..

#155 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:32 PM

Tell me what you have deduced from this, rillastate:

am interested in the prospects of biological restructuring and gene-therapy (Telomere regrowth and such). Basically anything that allows the body to survive indefinitely. I also have interest in brain relocation. I am slightly skeptical about methods that directly involve the alteration of the mind (Such as uploading and digitisation) because it raises questions about whether the new individual is really you. Would it be you looking out its eyes? Thinking its thoughts? If I can help it, I would rather achieve immortality whilst preserving the sanctity of the mind.

There are differences between copying and uploading.

When you upload- the whole information of yourself till the moment of ending the uploading process is being kept. After you finished uploading- your life experience is increasing, into information that you did not upload yet. Every moment means more life experience, mean a different you. So it shall have a VERY similar information as you contain but never the same exactly, as there is no 100% .

Copying- creating another you. Again, you two shall be exactly the same ONLY at the moment of finishing the process, and after that- each brain has it's new singular life experience which shall make you VERY similar, but not the same. Moreover- it will never be same person, I mean- shall never hold the same brain and so same thought and sights etcetera, it's just a copy after all. If you die- the copy shall remain as it is, alive and well, and you won't be, never was, and never will be, as for "you" have no life experience and never did- and shall never have, as not ever being born. Once your dead, the copy is not to your concern. Just another person that has in to some point the same information you WOULD have in the same point if you wouldn't be dead.

Hope it's clear enough.

Yours
~Infernity

;))

~Infernity

#156 rillastate

• 83 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 01:02 PM

Infernity,

Thanks, I think I understand everything up until the statement "If you die- the copy shall remain as it is, alive and well, and you won't be, never was, and never will be, as for "you" have no life experience and never did- and shall never have, as not ever being born. "

If what you’r saying is that if you or I die, it'll be as if we never were. That makes perfect sense as long as we keep in mind that if we die, just because it's as if we never existed from our (deceased) perspective, it isn't as if we were never born from the perspectives of those still alive. I also agree that any copy or upload of our mind will not be us and I personally would not allow even the most precise copy or upload of my mind to represent (or impersonate) me or to take my place after I'm dead.

But I do believe there's got to be a way to pass on one's true self, mind, consciousness.

I believe there's a way for 2 brains to share one self/mind/consciousness. In other words, I believe there's a way that 2 separate bodies housing 2 separate brains can be one true person with 1 mind. Just as our brains have 2 connected halves, I believe there's a way to connect 2 separate full brains so that they actually become one big brain with 4 hemispheres - 2 hemispheres in one skull and 2 hemispheres in another skull. One mind, the same mind operating 2 bodies at once so that when one body dies, your mind does not die with your body because it's still fully active and conscious in your surviving body.

A way you could think about it is to take yourself for example. Imagine your in some weird future. Now pretend you were able to obtain an extra set of eyes so that you now have 4 eyes in total - all connected to your brain and focusing in the same direction as your original two eyes. Now lets say your best friend just lost his eyesight in an accident at work. So being the good friend you are, you loan him your extra set of eyes for the day. But there's one catch, in order for the extra eyes to work, they must stay attached to your brain. So you get some extension cords and connect your eyes to your friend's eye-socket. Now you go about your day in Brooklyn with your two eyes attached to your face and your friend goes about his day in Manhattan with your other eyes attached to his face. But remember, the eyes he's using are still connected to your brain therefore your eyes are no use for him unless you act as his blind-seeing-eye-friend; so not only must you watch where you're going today, you must stay on the cell phone with him all day in order to tell him where he's going.

Now obviously you aren't in his head or sharing this thoughts or acting as one mind with him; this scenario only demonstrates that I bet it's possible for one person/mind to see and process info from two completely separate perspectives simultaneously. So lets take this scenario a little further. Say your blind friend happened to get hurt on the job again and suffered a huge blow the head rendering him brain damaged. In his employment contract, it states that if he suffers an injury where his brain is impaired, he will allow his brain to be transported for repair while he borrows another so that he doesn't miss a day of work. Your name just so happens to be his first choice for on the emergency brain contact list. So now you must not only share your extra eyes, but now you must share your mind so that you can get your friend's body through the day until his brain is fully repaired. So, a blank brain is implanted in your friend and your conscious mind is then linked to his brain as well as your own. You/Your mind has to make decisions for you and your friend simultaneously. Luckily its only for one day because it's stressful as hell and takes a lot of energy, kind of like trying having a conversation with your mom about school while playing full virtual reality video games.

End scene...lol

Now if you can make a duplicate of your body then that’s fine, but you can't just make a duplicate of your brain because it won't really be you. So you'd have to figure out a way to put your mind into the duplicate body while your same complete mind is still in your original body. Then when one of the bodies dies, you are still alive, no matter which body dies - the duplicate or the original. Then all you have to do is get another duplicate body, blank brain, and connect your mind between you and the new entity and wait till one dies again so you can repeat the process and never die. You/Your mind would have sort of a germ line like power – you would pass down from duplicate body to duplicate body, never dieing; always staying the original you; the first you. As long as no unfortunate coincidences occur that kills both of your bodies at the same time, then you'll be around a long time.

One problem with this though is that, even with twice the brain size and activity, who knows how well, if at all, one mind/self/person is capable of controlling 2 separate bodies simultaneously. But if simple ducks, fish and birds can focus on 2 completely different images (one from each side of the head) and then process them effortlessly simultaneously, then I think that (maybe with some mental enhancement) we may be able to control two bodies effortlessly at the same time. Plus think about how much we’d get accomplished if we could truly be in two places at once!

Seriously though, I know this if way out in hypothetical land, but I really think something like this is possible…someday.

#157 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:45 PM

If what you’r saying is that if you or I die, it'll be as if we never were. That makes perfect sense as long as we keep in mind that if we die, just because it's as if we never existed from our (deceased) perspective, it isn't as if we were never born from the perspectives of those still alive.

Yes, correct, but also other's view is incapable for a dead person, for nonexistence...

I also agree that any copy or upload of our mind will not be us and I personally would not allow even the most precise copy or upload of my mind to represent (or impersonate) me or to take my place after I'm dead.

It really doesn't matter what happens nor happened or will once you die. (Only if it's final and ultimate of course).

I believe there's a way for 2 brains to share one self/mind/consciousness. In other words, I believe there's a way that 2 separate bodies housing 2 separate brains can be one true person with 1 mind. Just as our brains have 2 connected halves, I believe there's a way to connect 2 separate full brains so that they actually become one big brain with 4 hemispheres - 2 hemispheres in one skull and 2 hemispheres in another skull. One mind, the same mind operating 2 bodies at once so that when one body dies, your mind does not die with your body because it's still fully active and conscious in your surviving body.

Yes, I think I look forward for that day.
Getting close to uploading, indeed.

A way you could think about it is to take yourself for example. Imagine your in some weird future. Now pretend you were able to obtain an extra set of eyes so that you now have 4 eyes in total - all connected to your brain and focusing in the same direction as your original two eyes. Now lets say your best friend just lost his eyesight in an accident at work. So being the good friend you are, you loan him your extra set of eyes for the day. But there's one catch, in order for the extra eyes to work, they must stay attached to your brain. So you get some extension cords and connect your eyes to your friend's eye-socket. Now you go about your day in Brooklyn with your two eyes attached to your face and your friend goes about his day in Manhattan with your other eyes attached to his face. But remember, the eyes he's using are still connected to your brain therefore your eyes are no use for him unless you act as his blind-seeing-eye-friend; so not only must you watch where you're going today, you must stay on the cell phone with him all day in order to tell him where he's going.

Hehe, nice thinking, the point beyond is good, but not the example since when such technology will be available, eyes will be a cheap thing you can buy if it will be even needed. Perhaps we could see by the electric waves and not even needing the eye tool.

Now obviously you aren't in his head or sharing this thoughts or acting as one mind with him; this scenario only demonstrates that I bet it's possible for one person/mind to see and process info from two completely separate perspectives simultaneously. So lets take this scenario a little further. Say your blind friend happened to get hurt on the job again and suffered a huge blow the head rendering him brain damaged. In his employment contract, it states that if he suffers an injury where his brain is impaired, he will allow his brain to be transported for repair while he borrows another so that he doesn't miss a day of work. Your name just so happens to be his first choice for on the emergency brain contact list. So now you must not only share your extra eyes, but now you must share your mind so that you can get your friend's body through the day until his brain is fully repaired. So, a blank brain is implanted in your friend and your conscious mind is then linked to his brain as well as your own. You/Your mind has to make decisions for you and your friend simultaneously. Luckily its only for one day because it's stressful as hell and takes a lot of energy, kind of like trying having a conversation with your mom about school while playing full virtual reality video games.

I understand, well, again, you are not considering that technology shall ameliorate in all fields, not only a sole thing.
By the way, I must say I really enjoy your very clear, easy English as a girl from Israel! [thumb]

Now if you can make a duplicate of your body then that’s fine, but you can't just make a duplicate of your brain because it won't really be you. So you'd have to figure out a way to put your mind into the duplicate body while your same complete mind is still in your original body. Then when one of the bodies dies, you are still alive, no matter which body dies - the duplicate or the original. Then all you have to do is get another duplicate body, blank brain, and connect your mind between you and the new entity and wait till one dies again so you can repeat the process and never die. You/Your mind would have sort of a germ line like power – you would pass down from duplicate body to duplicate body, never dieing; always staying the original you; the first you. As long as no unfortunate coincidences occur that kills both of your bodies at the same time, then you'll be around a long time.

Wow, yes, impressive. I never thought about it like this, it might work.
It is all so perfect, but one thing. which clone of body will earn the good life? I mean, house, mate, etcetera?
Well, if it would be a normal thing, so EVERYONE has it, perhaps we should just do this with the whole planet (perhaps till then, with the whole universe). Each wants the same thing. Because they are exactly the same. Do you get me?
A regular copy of me, as I explained in the other post- I'd probably kill (or she would kill me, after all it's 50% - 50%), but this, I believe I wouldn't because it IS me, AND a protection. But how do "we" (I) live?

One problem with this though is that, even with twice the brain size and activity, who knows how well, if at all, one mind/self/person is capable of controlling 2 separate bodies simultaneously. But if simple ducks, fish and birds can focus on 2 completely different images (one from each side of the head) and then process them effortlessly simultaneously, then I think that (maybe with some mental enhancement) we may be able to control two bodies effortlessly at the same time. Plus think about how much we’d get accomplished if we could truly be in two places at once!

Heh, yes, always wondering how is it like to see two views at once.

Seriously though, I know this if way out in hypothetical land, but I really think something like this is possible…someday.

NOTHING is for sure, EVERYTHING is possible.

Thanks for a good read.

Yours truthfully
~Infernity

#158 boundlesslife

• Life Member in cryostasis
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:52 AM

[*]If I upload my brain, will that upload be me?
[*]If I clone myself and download my brain into that clone, will the clone be me?
[*]If I copy my brain, only one neuron at a time, replacing each neuron with that copy, over a long period of time, will I still be me at the end? When will have the transition occured?

Most of the posts (above) examine a reanimation scenario of some kind, and conclude that "it wouldn't be them" or rather, "it wouldn't be me" (in their case). But, none of them seem to begin by setting forth a criterion for what it would take to "be me" in the first place. So, these arguments that "it wouldn't be me" seem empty. Yet, at the same time, they reflect serious concerns about perceived losses of identity that could occur in the course of cryonics reanimation.

The more you think about changes that take place on a moment to moment basis, the more nebulous the concept of "me" becomes. "I've changed my mind!" you say, and yet you still claim to be "you". How can you do that? It's now a different "you", isn't it? Aren't you now making reference of a "you" of the past, who held a different point of view? What's the bridge of continuity? What is there that *hasn't* changed?

Starting with the most mundane things, over the course of a few minutes, you haven't changed your clothes, probably, and the credit cards in your wallet (if you have any) still probably have the same numbers on them. The same goes for your driver's license (if you have one), and the weight of your body (unless you've taken nourishment or gotten rid of the waste products of that) is very much the same, corrected for respiratory input/output and evaporation of perspiration.

However, in those same few minutes, many, many synapses in your brain will have gone through alterations in state, and whole centers of activity will have shifted. You may have written things down, changing the informational infrastructure many others would see as being "yours". You look in the mirror and say, "Yep, it's me, alright!" but what does that mean? To you? To anyone else?

The fact is that in that few minutes, a few things have remained constant, and others have changed very little. Taken on the average, your genome is probably very much the way it was, long before those few minutes began, and it will be that way until you die, to a large extent. By comparison, it is like the "Rock of Gibraltar" of your life. Also, ideas to which you firmly subscribe will have a certain momentum to them, and habits of response that you'd like to feel are subject to "free will" are far more ingrained and automatic than you'd like to have to face. If this is what we mean by "what's me", then it is perhaps reducible to something far simpler than exact patterns of atoms or other hypothetical analogues of what *might* "be me". And it still gets us no closer to a feeling of comfort for whether or not it will still "be us" when we are awakened at some later time, if cryonicly suspended.

Taken in the simplest terms, each night when you fall asleep, something very much altered, as to molecular arrangement of your brain, will probably "awaken" the next morning, remembering the same social security number as being "yours" and having a strong association matrix associated with many persons' names and facial appearances. It will look in the mirror and say, "That's me!" and it will be right, about that. But, how is that different from an uploaded version doing exactly the same thing? Or, how is it different from a clone with an uploaded/downloaded brain of yours doing it, either? As seen by any observer, could they tell the difference?

If the original and the clone with the uploaded/downloaded brain (starting point state of "mind') were "shuffled" as to location and then called upon to give evidence for their origin, could they do it? I think that would be easy. They could probably compare their memories of where scars should be on their bodies with the actual existence of the scars. The clone wouldn't have them, unless we were going to great lengths to fake the scars to fool them both! And, taking the simpler assumption that we are not playing games of that sort with them, we would hope that the original and the clone would agree that this wouldn't be a problem. By the time they had had such a conversation, their neurological systems would have diverged to a considerable extent anyway, and the non-identical nature of a clone's body would contribute to the rapidity of that divergence as well.

Now, having meandered about, a bit, let's take a second look at the questions:

If I upload my brain, will that upload be me?

No! But, the "you" that wakes up tomorrow morning will not be "you" either, in any absolute sense. If you're concerned about uploading, you perhaps should be concerned with how your identity is in flux, at every moment, and especially "overnight"!

If I clone myself and download my brain into that clone, will the clone be me?

No! And, as discussed about, you should be able to quickly sort it out, and come to some kind of amiable "live and let live" arrangement. I still have scar on my thumb where a large wart was removed at the age of five years old (and a lot of other scars as well). The clone would not have them. However, the clone with the downloaded brain would be more "you" than you will be after a few nights sleep, with reference to the "you" from which the download was uploaded/downloaded. By that standard, "you" are "not you" anymore. Soon the clone will not be who he (or she) was a few days earlier, either.

If I copy my brain, only one neuron at a time, replacing each neuron with that copy, over a long period of time, will I still be me at the end? When will have the transition occured?

For those who are really concerned about this issue, and who do not bother to think about the fact that they are changing all the time anyway, in more ways than could ever be produced by the substitution of one neuron for another (assuming that the functional characteristics of the neuron and its interconnectivity are reasonably well replicated), it is possible, even likely, that they would still perceive themselves to "be me at the end". They would be wrong, of course, from the standpoint of the dynamic unfolding of each of our identities that takes place as a usual result of being alive, but if it gave them a sense of comfort, to believe that "it was still them" who are we to take it away?

Back when I was in electrical engineering school, a long time ago, there were two majors, power and electronics. In a course titled "Lines and Networks", which was a preparatory class for "Microwaves", a point was reached at which electrical power moved across a small gap with no physical connection. The equations described it, and the lab equipment demonstrated that it happened, but some of the students could quite "get it".

A classmate of mine laughed, and said, "That's where the line is drawn between power and electronics majors! The ones that can see how the power gets across the gap and are confident that it really happens will major in electronics. The rest will be power majors!"

In a similar manner, life extensionists may be divided by these questions of identity. Some will be more comfortable with the idea that "it will still be them" after a transition of some kind than others, and will be receptive to transitions of those kinds. Others will huddle with their backs to the wall, and resist the notion that anything could possibly be done that would change them in any way, without "it not being them".

In many cases, perhaps, those who have these concerns with identity will drag their feet in signing up for cryonics, and may be left behind, utterly. That's sad, but I think it's where this discussion leads. At some future time, those who then live may look back at these discussions and shake their heads in dismay.

A recent posting I made on this subject, that addressed how much we may need to be prepared for, in the way of change, goes into what I believe is a far more practical and realistic question about reanimation, and that is: How much change are you ready to be willing to tolerate, upon reanimation? How much "unlike you" are you willing to be, when you wake up? If you are not receptive to a great deal of change, upon awakening it seems likely that you could be left far behind, faced now with an entirely new quandry, "How much are you willing to change, to catch up?" An even different question may exist also, that is, "In that society of the future, how much ease would you have in electing to upgrade yourself, if you came back with serious shortcomings owing to your resistance to shifts in identity? We do not know what the future holds in store, and there are risks either way. Each of us will be receptive to different kinds and levels of risks

None of this is intended to weaken your resolve to survive, but being frozen is, in many ways, being willing to face unknowns of all kinds, some of which may be extremely challenging. At the same time, the alternative is, unless you believe in the supernatural, oblivion.

boundlesslife

#159 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 01:29 PM

boundlesslife,

I believe I did explain WHY too... what's unsatisfying in that?

-Infernity

#160 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:00 PM

Infernity, are you refering to this?

Copying- creating another you. Again, you two shall be exactly the same ONLY at the moment of finishing the process, and after that- each brain has it's new singular life experience which shall make you VERY similar, but not the same. Moreover- it will never be same person, I mean- shall never hold the same brain and so same thought and sights etcetera, it's just a copy after all. If you die- the copy shall remain as it is, alive and well, and you won't be, never was, and never will be, as for "you" have no life experience and never did- and shall never have, as not ever being born. Once your dead, the copy is not to your concern. Just another person that has in to some point the same information you WOULD have in the same point if you wouldn't be dead.

Hope it's clear enough.

Let me ask you something. If Friday night there is one Infernity sleeping, and if Saturday morning there are two Infernitys sleeping that are substantially identical to each other and the single Infernity that was sleeping Friday night, does it matter to the survival of Friday's Infernity which Saturday morning Infernity wakes up?

---BrianW

#161 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:05 PM

Why would it? Are they realated? no... They don't affect her would they?

-Infernity

#162 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 06:33 AM

Are you saying, Infernity, that if you go to sleep tonight you don't care whether there are one, two, or ZERO human bodies with your information pattern in the world tomorrow morning? I'm assuming that zero is an unacceptable number, for it would mean that you wouldn't exist anymore. So if zero is unacceptable, does it matter whether there is one, two, or more? And if multiples are physically identical when woke, is it possible to call any particular one more significant to your survival than the others? I think not.

---BrianW

#163 boundlesslife

• 206 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:38 PM

Are you saying, Infernity, that if you go to sleep tonight you don't care whether there are one, two, or ZERO human bodies with your information pattern in the world tomorrow morning?  I'm assuming that zero is an unacceptable number, for it would mean that you wouldn't exist anymore.  So if zero is unacceptable, does it matter whether there is one, two, or more?  And if multiples are physically identical when woke, is it possible to call any particular one more significant to your survival than the others?  I think not.

---BrianW

Let me add one thought to this, Infernity, and that is that if tomorrow morning, when we all woke up, instead of there being just one bgwowk, there were a dozen of them, and they all got along well together, they would friggin-well turn the world of cryobiology upside down so fast that you'd have to get out of the way of the stampede that would be "headed for the freezer" before sundown (or else, more likely, be part of it).

(Just a note of thanks, bgwowk, for there being at least one of you around, and for your most recent observation above, about "zero" being a possibly unacceptable number, for anyone who gives the question even a little thought!)

boundlesslife

#164 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:50 PM

Brian, where does my claim contradict you then? I don't get your point...

-Infernity

#165 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:21 PM

Maybe I misunderstood you, but I thought you claimed to have a proof that a copy wouldn't be you (constitute survival of you). I'm saying that if tomorrow morning more than one instance of Infernity wakes up, any instance is a perfectly good continuation of you. Agree?

---BrianW

P.S. Thanks for your kind words, boundlesslife, but will all of my copies get copies of my wife and kids too? ;)

#166 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:34 PM

Well it won't... [glasses] , if I die, I can't even care whether I have a copy of me or not.... since I'm dead, I don't exist FOR ME... and I don't care how it affects the existence of me generally, for the world, for other people, and as for my information... I am talking of my consciousness...

-Infernity

#167 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:34 PM

I didn't say anybody died. If nobody dies when one Infernity wakes up in the morning, I don't know why anybody should die just because two wake up.

Perhaps my question wasn't clear. Let me try again. Tomorrow morning there are two Infernities with a molecular structure identical to the one Infernity that would normally wake up in the morning. Which one is your consciousness in?

---BrianW

#168 boundlesslife

• 206 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:33 PM

Maybe I misunderstood you, but I thought you claimed to have a proof that a copy wouldn't be you (constitute survival of you).  I'm saying that if tomorrow morning more than one instance of Infernity wakes up, any instance is a perfectly good continuation of you.  Agree?

---BrianW

P.S. Thanks for your kind words, boundlesslife, but will all of my copies get copies of my wife and kids too? :)

What's feasible for you should be feasible for them, and I can't imagine that you'd make eleven more of yourself without balance-pairing the whole family.

Actually, the very premise that people could be "replicated" in this fashion, mind (neural structure) as well as platform (body), pretty much would set aside the need for cryonics. The possibility of replication implies the possibility of "backing up" identity frequently, so the procedure to create a duplicate would needed only if you "went down the tubes" in a catastrophic accident.

"But," some might argue, "Suppose I needed a heart transplant, then the procedure wouldn't do me any good, would it? If I made eleven more like me, and the duplication was exact, then I'd need twleve heart transplants instead of one, wouldn't I?" And the argument would go on, as if a day and age when you could make eleven exact duplicates of yourself would still be a time in which anyone would have a defective heart that couldn't be "fixed".

Speculations like this are like a version of Alice in Wonderland, and it's time for this Cheshire Cat to fade away, and leave further speculation to others.

boundlesslife

#169 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:15 PM

I didn't say anybody died.  If nobody dies when one Infernity wakes up in the morning, I don't know why anybody should die just because two wake up. 

Perhaps my question wasn't clear.  Let me try again.  Tomorrow morning there are two Infernities with a molecular structure identical to the one Infernity that would normally wake up in the morning.  Which one is your consciousness in?

---BrianW

My consciousness is in the one that's me now [glasses] ... since I now am the original one, then MY the one who just typed THIS 's consciousness is will be in the same one... however, all of them can be called The Infernity after all... They all are The Infernity for them.

-Infernity

#170 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 12:29 AM

Are you saying that which of two Infernities your consciousness is in tomorrow depends on the physical history of each Infernity? If so, let's say we divide your atoms equally between the two Infernities (although I don't know why that should matter because our bodies are constantly swapping out atoms anyway). Which one do you wake up as?

---BrianW

P.S. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just expand your thinking. These issues are not as simple as you may think.

#171 alexjohnc3

• 25 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:42 PM

They are simple. There would be two Infernities, each that both have the same memories but will change based on different experiences after two of them exist. Each one will have Infernity's conciousness.

Remember, there's the truth and then there's what we believe we observe.

#172 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:09 PM

Wow, hank, you never cease to make me think. Good stuff! [thumb]

#173 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 01:13 AM

or, if you like, possibly underlying that, electrochemical pulses being controlled by a soul

Not that I believe in souls- but my non-belief in souls doesn't have anything to do with the validity of the argument.

#174 EverlastingLife

• 20 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:15 PM

To imply that a clone or upload will or will not be 'me' is based on the assumption that 'me' is not also a changing upload or 'copy'. And so that has to be proven first before we can say either is any different or more or less valid.

#175 bender

• 44 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:47 AM

I just dont see the confusion when it comes down to the identical clone question... suppose I go to sleep and tomorrow there is another copy of me... it would just be another person that thinks and feels the same way as me... but nothing would change inside of my head. In order for A to be A, it has to not only consist of the same material but also occupy the same space, and since it's impossible, then there is absolutely no way that my consciousness would wake up in another copy. My consciousness which is a process of biochemical/electric changes is occuring at a specific point of coordinates. Anything which is in a different set of coordinates and not connected to me via any king of physical link can only be sensed through my eyes but never directly experienced.

#176 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:58 PM

Yeah, bender, I totally agree with that statement, there would be no concious-interference if two identical consciousnesses existed, its the same as having two identical computers next to eachother... nothing happens... however here is something that keeps bugging me...

When nano-tech matures to the point where it is the norm to have nanites embedded in your brain tissue, aiding or even replacing neurons, how should consciousness be regarded then?

Lets say you replace 1 neuron... ok I would feel absolutly no change in "me", what about ten? a hundred? 9 million? 50 billion? It would seem to me that if *every* neuron and connection between was replaced at the exact same time then "me" would be lost, at least "my" instance of "me" would be lost.

I think that maybe replacing even 1 neuron causes a loss of "my" instance of "me", however it is so small (one one hundred billionth) that I do not even notice, but at which point and which neurons are required to cause "me" to notice that "me" is being effected? and at which point do I suffer a complete loss of "my" instance of "me" ?

...when the technology arrives, I will replace each neuron one at a time (about 60-100 per second), I would never go for the "all at once" or uploading scheme, I think that's where I would lose "my" instance of "me".

#177 bender

• 44 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:22 AM

Josephia, this is where Moravec Transfer comes into play. To quote "A neuron-sized robot swims up to a neuron and scans it into memory. A computer starts simulating the neuron. The robot waits until the neuron perfectly matches its simulation inside the computer, and then replaces the neuron with itself as smoothly as possible, sending inputs to the computer and transmitting outputs from the simulation of a neuron inside the computer.

This entire procedure has had no effect on the flow of information in the brain, except that one neuron's worth of processing is now being done inside a computer instead of a neuron. Repeat, neuron by neuron, until the entire brain is composed of robot neurons whose guts are inside the computer."

Sounds pretty fascinating, huh?

#178 JohnDoe1234

• 1,097 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:52 AM

Lol, it does kinda look like 'Josephia' while underlined but it actually reads 'Josephjah' (First name + All three initials).. so Joseph is my name [tung]

Yeah, I would definitely go for the method you described as soon as the technology becomes availible, but one thing that still gets me is the differnce between replacing all of my neurons at once or just one... but I guess it is probably impossible to know, but my gut feeling tells me I wouldn't want to do them all at once for fear of losing myself.

#179 bender

• 44 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:01 AM

Woops, sorry for misquoting your nick =)

I would only go for 1 by 1 neuron transfer, there is no way I would agree to have it done all at once. However, this technology is decades away, and I don't give it much thought at this point.

Anyway, what I would guess to constitute me, would be hidden somewhere in my head =) It's imossible to say for sure what it is at this point.

#180 drus

• 278 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:35 PM

What constitutes me? The frontal lobe mostly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users