- - - - -

Update on the Update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:51 PM

ImmInst members might be aware that for some time now, we have been looking into upgrading the forums. This is envisaged to speed up the forums and introduce new value-added features such as members blogs. (see relevant voting in the Members section)

The upgrades have been purchased, but when installing them, we ran into some difficulties: the current forums have been so extensively modified, that upgrading them has become a tricky issue. The previous works were almost exclusively done by BJKlein in many long hours over the past 2+ years. Truth be told, only BJ has an general idea what code was changed where. For that and other reasons, the task of upgrading falls on BJ's shoulders or at least it cannot be done without his involvement. However, BJ is at the moment entirely dedicated to editing the film (on top of minor matters such as moving to DC, starting a company and organizing the conference).

Thus, the upgrade will take much longer to complete than expected. This also means that the revision of our constitution and by-laws has been put on halt, because depending on the technical capabilities that a new software offers, we might have to reword and reconsider some provisions.

Apologies for the delay. All members will of course be notified when the new upgrades become available.

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:30 AM

Thanks, Cal..

Recent site outages were due to a move to a better server. We should be back to normal now.

Bruce

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,079 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:47 PM

If the transition to new software is too difficult and takes too much time, perhaps we should consider a continuation of the old software for awhile while we gradually prod everyone over to the new forums and a new ISP. It would cost more money during the transition, but perhaps it is worth it. We keep the old site functioning as a sort of "database" and everyone still has access (cost, 15 per month). Meanwhile, we start up brand new forums with the new software and at a new ISP (maybe Canaca).

We could gradually work on bringing the old forums and data onto the new system. Start with the most valuable forums (leadership, financial, projects, full member).

Just a thought.

#4 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:36 PM

Yes, Mind... I've had similar thoughts, as your approach may be the most advantageous for the long run as it would allow us the chance to upgrade to the latest version of the forum software more quickly and without the database issues.... the drawback, as you say, is that there will then be two different forums, an old and a new.

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,079 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:18 PM

the drawback, as you say, is that there will then be two different forums, an old and a new.

I don't think it is too big of a drawback. Most of the people here are smart and adaptable. We purchased the software and are not using it and that is not good. Maybe this is something we can talk about at the conference. Overall, given the increasing rate of downtime and the slow operation of the forums I think this type of move....to a new ISP with new software will help greatly. Also, I am hoping this type of transition be easier on you (Bruce). We are talking about cutting edge subjects all the time, I would hate to see our forum technology continue to slip "behind the times".

#6 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:03 AM

Thanks, Mind... I agree.

#7 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:26 AM

Is there a backup to everything on ImmInst outside the server for case it crashes?

-Infernity

#8 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:30 AM

Yes.. regular backups are made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users