Photo
- - - - -

The dangers of artificial sweeteners debunked

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#61 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 10:41 PM

opales, you say I'm ignoring the studies that show aspartame to be safe. However, I see you ignoring the studies that show the opposite, that show it's toxic. The studies showing safety are all done by those with a profit motive just like tobacco companies funding scientists who are willling to say it doesn't cause cancer. The studies showing toxicity were done by those with no axe to grind.

Since when has alcohol and tobacco "passed the test of time"? They both have been found to be toxic leading to addiction, disease and death. They have been around a long time but so has arsenic and I sure wouldn't eat any of that. No toxicity has been associated with stevia.

Or you can say "everything will kill me" to rationalise your bad habits.

#62 opales

• Topic Starter
  • 892 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:01 PM

opales, you say I'm ignoring the studies that show aspartame to be safe. However, I see you ignoring the studies that show the opposite, that show it's toxic. The studies showing safety are all done by those with a profit motive just like tobacco companies funding scientists who are willling to say it doesn't cause cancer. The studies showing toxicity were done by those with no axe to grind.

All the claimed adverse effects of aspartame a) are based on faulty logic to begin with b) have not been shown in actual conducted studies c) if there is one study showing some adverse effect, the results of that study have not been able to be replicated. The body of knowledge is what matters in science, if some results cannot be replicated, there is great reason to believe that the original setting was somehow flawed. This is how it works in every field.

You suggest all these studies showing aspartames safety are somehow biased by drug companies. I say that every scientist has an agenda, some just are able to keep it apart from the actual science. And the agendas that effect the results most are not necessarily monetary. I actually think that in the last twenty years, the "natural" folks have tweaked the results much more than the alledgedly "company funded" scientists (and the natural folks too might have money involved). Linus Pauling and his institute conducted a ton of studies in the 70's claiming vitamin C to be the ailment on everything on earth. That was actually the start of the vitamin craze in western societies. However, those results could not be replicated despite numerous attempts, and once those research settings were scrutinized, a number of distorting factors were realized, and the science community just basicly hammered away all those results (it is funny because you still might see references to those original Pauling vitamin C studies. If someone does that, run away).

Don't you think its odd that many aspartame adverse effect studies have been conducted by individual scientists (like Olney) having consistent results study after study, yet, no one is able replicate their results? You don't suspect there might be an agenda playing there? Also, as stated earlier, on average there is a huge difference between different scientific journals in regards to quality of science. The prominent "pro-aspartame" studies/articles have been pulished in journals like BMJ or NEJM, the "anti-aspartame" articles are published many times in not as near respected journals, which should tell you something about the validity of the results. All references are not created equal. It sometimes very difficult to tell which journals are quality ones, that is why the anti-aspartame sites in the net might seem to have a impressive resume of references (even though they are not). Here is an example (actually quite sickening one in my view) from a field very close to us as pointed in [1] (Aubrey being one of the authors):

This legitimate effort must be clearly distinguished from the antiaging quackery that has made its way into the contemporary lay literature. For example, two so-called scientific “journals” (Journal of Longevity and The International Journal of Anti-Aging Medicine) that appear on the surface to be traditional refereed publications are in fact little more than advertisements for a pseudoscientific antiaging industry. By contrast, the similarly titled Journal of Anti-Aging Medicine is a refereed scientific journal. We want to make sure that the public is aware of both the scientific and the nonscientific use of the term “antiaging medicine.”

xanadu:

Since when has alcohol and tobacco "passed the test of time"? They both have been found to be toxic leading to addiction, disease and death. They have been around a long time but so has arsenic and I sure wouldn't eat any of that. No toxicity has been associated with stevia.

I merely replied to Dantecubits claim that the test of time was a clear sign showing that stevia could not be toxic. As I said (and based on your above quote, you must agree), test of time is not a good criterion because some substances have been consumed for long time despite their "blatant" toxicity.

(dantecubit)

QUOTE (lemon)
Hundreds of safety studies exist on stevia.  Japan has EXTENSIVELY replaced refined sugar and all but banned artificial sweeteners in their food. 

It's been in use for over 1,500 years in South America, 30 years of food and beverage use in Japan (40% of all sweetening).  China has been using it for 20 years in food and beverage.  All the pacific rim.  Israel... UNQUOTE (lemon)

This in my mind is some of the strongest evidence for stevia's safety. People just wouldn't go on consuming something if it was toxic.

Lemon, I am not going to start ranting how I think stevia is unsafe, because I actually don't think so. My point regarding stevia was that the science behind artificial sweeters safety is actually stronger than with stevia (and if we look at western science only, this probably holds true. I am not in position on the other hand to evaluate the Japanese literature, which I do believe might have been disregarded without a good cause). I started this thread because I think (and still do) that artificial sweeteners get unduly disrespected. I think sugar is the real killer and artificial sweeteners are actually pretty good way of avoiding it, so we should not condemn it without a good cause (which at least based on contemporary science, does not exist). Also, I don't think that it is anyones best interest that such claims that I have seen in this and other threads conserning aspartame just get thrown up in the air without any backing to it. It is difficult to cope with all the available information as it is, we should not contribute to it by spreading mere rumours as facts.

[1]de Grey AD, Gavrilov L, Olshansky SJ, Coles LS, Cutler RG, Fossel M, Harman SM, Antiaging technology and pseudoscience, Science, 296(5568), 656, Apr 2002

#63 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 12:15 PM

Ingest a large amount of aspartame, say a quarter cup. Note the effects. Ingest the same amount of stevia (after your blurred vision and headache subside of course) and then note the effects.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#64 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:03 PM

Opales,

The sweet glycosides are an evolutionary trap the stevia plant develped while growing in it's sub-tropical habitat of Paraguay and Brazil. Bacteria love the sweetness of the glycosides but because they have no calories they die of starvation.

Now let's see, how did aspartame evolve? Answer: by accident from a Serle researcher looking to develop an ulcer drug, "mmm, taste's sweet! I bet this would be a real money maker as a better tasting alternative to saccharin !".

The raw fact is aspartame, overwhelmingly, has more complaints to the F.D.A. than any other food additive. Stevia, on the otherhand, has never had any negative effects associated with it and it's in the food and beverage supply of billions !

#65 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 02:39 PM

Opales,

Don't get hung up on the studies. Studies are otfen a concentration center of bias.

Everyone knows what happens if you abuse alcohol. You don't need a study for that.

Everyone knows what happens if you abuse cigarettes. You don't need a study for that.

Aspartame is marketed in the food supply of billions. Result? It is the single most complained about food additive.

Stevia is marketed in the food supply of billions. Result? No-one's complaining.

Use your whole brain, don't get locked into the trap of thinking a study has all the answers. They are usefull, but when you have mountains of real world data, seriously question the validity of a study running against your natural intuition.

Edit: If you count the Japanese studies, Stevia has more than aspartame.

#66 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:45 PM

Lemon, while I agree with much of what you say, recommending someone to eat a quarter cup of aspartame might kill them. Never mind the headache and other nasty side effects, they might just die. There is no point in discussing it with Opales no matter how many posts you make. His mind is made up and that's that. There have been studies on tobacco in scientific jounals, funded by tobacco companies, claiming to find no ill health effects. According to Opales, that proves smoking is safe. The politically corrupt fda has put it's stamp of approval on aspartame and allows tobacco so they both must be good for you. If you believe that I have some waterfront property in new orleans to sell you.

#67 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 08:30 PM

That's why I suggested a quarter cup of aspartame.

I'll down a quarter cup of stevia if he downs a quarter cup of aspartame.

[thumb]

#68 opales

• Topic Starter
  • 892 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:43 PM

Lemon, while I agree with much of what you say, recommending someone to eat a quarter cup of aspartame might kill them. Never mind the headache and other nasty side effects, they might just die. There is no point in discussing it with Opales no matter how many posts you make. His mind is made up and that's that. There have been studies on tobacco in scientific jounals, funded by tobacco companies, claiming to find no ill health effects. According to Opales, that proves smoking is safe. The politically corrupt fda has put it's stamp of approval on aspartame and allows tobacco so they both must be good for you. If you believe that I have some waterfront property in new orleans to sell you.

The body of knowledge is what matters in science, that is why no one study is going to prove that smoking is safe if there are 100 studies saying it is not. If one study says aspartame has adverse effects, and 100 studies say it has not, then it probably has not. Also, integrity of the research is one thing that is being reviewed when articles are submitted to respected journals. These are the reasons why the science community thinks smoking is bad and that aspartame is safe.

You make it seem that I am the one being irrational and stubborn in my views. What about you or Lemon? You posted number of claims, which I said all have been addressed by studies and no effect have been found. I did not see neither one of you referring to any studies, but just made unjustified claims which sounded they were taken from some website (actually I only referred to articles referring to studies, but that was really just to save my own time. They answered the same questions, so it does not matter).

Basically your argument comes down to saying aspartame can be never proven safe because all studies backing its safety were probably funded by companies selling it. How the hell can anything ever made by a money making company be proven safe, ever? In your world they are by default unprovable to be safe. I think the substances that do get reviewed by fda are generally safer than the ones that do not (aside from the fact that the review takes place only when there is reason to believe adverse effects), even though the process might not be perfect. Why do you assume that if a study backs up safety of aspartame, then it is probably funded by the sweetener company? They look at these things when they review studies in those top medical journals, you know. The papers that make the top journals have consistently backed up aspartames safety. As I said earlier, I have bigger doubts about the agendas of people opposing aspartame.

This is not really only about aspartame to me. I have seen in these pages number of times dubious claims regarding various issues set out as facts, no matter how controversial subject (some of which I pointed out in my first post). It is really annoying because I can never know what I should trust and what I should not (or what is based on science and what is just the posters personal feeling on the issue based whatever irrational reason). So you become very confused and basically have to double check many claims made here, and you still feel uncertain. It really takes away from the value of discussion, as I'd much rather take the information posted here as given and focus on something else useful. As I said, I'd really want to spend as little as possible on my personal regime (and still get good results) and focus my energy on other important (mostly life extension enhancing) issues. But it just does not seem possible at the time. I hope this discussion has brought clarity someone pondering their stand on the sweetener issue (probably not), we really should have this kind of critical discussion (critical meaning that each side gets present their case) on various other subjects to perhaps make things a little bit less confusing. I hope no one in this discussion is being offended, when there are opposing views between people, things might be taken too personal. I must stress that it is issues that argue here, not people (at least for me).

few more notes:
lemon:

Opales,

Don't get hung up on the studies. Studies are otfen a concentration center of bias.

Everyone knows what happens if you abuse alcohol. You don't need a study for that.

Everyone knows what happens if you abuse cigarettes. You don't need a study for that.

Use your whole brain, don't get locked into the trap of thinking a study has all the answers. They are usefull, but when you have mountains of real world data, seriously question the validity of a study running against your natural intuition.

I am a man of science and really think that what you are suggesting is 500 year step back in human development. I am actually sometimes critical of the fact that current scientific methods may be too rigid in some situations (you made a good point in another thread concerning the study of the effect of diet and there being too many variables at play to get relevant results). However, this is the exact kind of situation where science with even current methods prevails over human intuition.

Opales,

The sweet glycosides are an evolutionary trap the stevia plant develped while growing in it's sub-tropical habitat of Paraguay and Brazil. Bacteria love the sweetness of the glycosides but because they have no calories they die of starvation.

Now let's see, how did aspartame evolve? Answer: by accident from a Serle researcher looking to develop an ulcer drug, "mmm, taste's sweet! I bet this would be a real money maker as a better tasting alternative to saccharin !".

This is the kind of naturality being a criterion for evaluation flaw in thinking that I referred to earlier in this thread. Personally, I just think there really is nothing more natural about anything from the nature than with anything man made. After all, I am an immortalist (and also to some extent transhumanist), nothing "natural" there but we are going to make it happen anyway.

#69 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:48 PM

Everything dies. The longer you live, the greater the chance of some misfortunate incident occuring. This is known as the Law of Large Numbers.

Scientific inquiry should, by all means, go forward but scientific inquiry is very limited. In order to have a conclusive study one most constrain too many variables as to make the study of limited use and only applicable on the caveat the variables are unchanging.

As you may have noticed, I'm very passionate about the stevia issue. Refined sugar, in my belief, is a very large contributer to chronic disease (maybe even the largest).

#70 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:56 PM

I don't see opales taking you up on your offer to eat 1/4 cup of aspartame.

I guess if the tobacco companies can fund 100 studies to show tobacco is safe and the other side only has one, that proves tobacco is a good thing, according to opales. Actually, the number of studies showing bad effects vs minor or no effects has not really been quantified.

#71 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:56 PM

J Med Assoc Thai. 1997 Sep;80 Suppl 1:S121-8. Related Articles, Links 

Lack of mutagenicity of stevioside and steviol in Salmonella typhimurium TA 98 and TA 100.

Klongpanichpak S, Temcharoen P, Toskulkao C, Apibal S, Glinsukon T.

Department of Physiology, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand.

Stevioside, a sweet-tasting diterpene glycoside derived from Stevia rebaudiana, and steviol, a product from enzymatic hydrolysis of stevioside, were tested for mutagenic activity by the in vitro Ames test, a preincubation method, using Salmonella typhimurium TA 98 and TA 100 as the tester strains, either in the presence or absence of metabolic activating system derived from the sodium phenobarbital and 5,6-benzoflavone pretreated liver S9 fractions from various animal species including rat, mouse, hamster and guinea pig. Stevioside and steviol at the concentrations up to 50 mg and 2 mg per plate, respectively showed no mutagenic effect on both tester strains either in the presence or absence of metabolic activating system. However, at the high concentration both stevioside and steviol showed some toxic effects on both tester strains. The toxic effect was decreased in the presence of the metabolic activating system.

Basically this one says in a petri dish stevioside and steviol showed some toxic effects but it is attenuated for in vivo.

Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2000;31 Suppl 1:171-3. Related Articles, Links 

Dominant lethal test in rats treated with some plant extracts.

Aritajat S, Kaweewat K, Manosroi J, Manosroi A.

Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Chiang Mai University, Thailand. scboi011@chiangmai.ac.th

The present study was undertaken to investigate the toxic effect of aqueous extracts of Aegle marmelos (AM), Stevia rebaudiana (SR), Pouteria cambodiana (PC) and Clausena excavata (CE) on rats by dominant lethal test. The data of 8-week treatment suggested that none of the extracts adversely affected male body and testicular weights as well as cauda epididymal sperm counts. No notable changes in sperm morphology and motility were observed. On the other hand, sperm count in the CE group was significantly higher as compared to both control and other treatment groups. There were no abnormal changes in the number of implantation sites, number of viable fetuses and number of dead fetuses in females mated with plant extract-treated males relative to controls. Based on these results, it could be concluded that all the investigated plant extracts have no toxic effect on male rat reproduction and progeny outcome.

I think this one is self explanatory.

#72 kayyak

• 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:26 AM

I used Asparatame back in the 1980's when it first came out. Diet Pepsi and used it in my cereal. I used it for about 4 years. It made me sooooooo sick. I was eating every 15 minutes. I would be dizzy under flourescent bulbs (like in stores). I lost a lot of weight even though I was eating a lot.

If I ate anything with real sugar in it, I would pass out. I would be aware of what was going on around me but couldn't move or say anything. It would take between 30-60 minutes to be able to move and start being alert.

I went for glucose tolerance tests. A Dr. lived handy to me and I went there one morning early thinking there was something wrong with my sugar. They tested me right away and there was no sign of diabetic problems. I had a series of blood tests done and nothing was ever found to be wrong.

Finally, a friend told me to go off the asparatame for a few days and see what happened. Within 48 hours I started feeling better, didn't feel like I HAD to eat all the time. The symptoms went away and they haven't returned.

I am so glad that I don't use asparatame anymore.

#73 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 05:14 AM

Aspartame is made up of three components: phenylalanine, methanol and aspartic acid. Aspartic acid (aspartate), like glutamate, is an excitotoxin. It is
just as capable as glutamate of doing damage to cells and brain nuclei.

In fact, one of the acknowledged effects of aspartame is weight gain.
The FDA even lists increased weight as one result of using the sweetener.

Like glutamate, aspartame stimulates the pancreas to secrete insulin, making
you hungry — especially for sweets. And the more you drink, the hungrier you get. Just like glutamate, aspartame destroys the arcuate nucleus, which in
turn produces leptin resistance. As a result, you get fat.

How can this not be bad for you?

#74 salesman

• 115 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:25 AM

Aspartame is in over 6,000 food and products and was passed by the FDA because of good old Donny Rumsfeld back in the day when he was retired from working at Coca-Cola. Did you know this anyone? Did you know that Rumsfeld is a convicted felon for selling arms to some other country? Common guys were smarted than this and know we live in a dictatorship.

http://www.infowars....ood_for_you.htm

#75 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:51 AM

What about sorbitol? I hadn't really thought about it, but I looked on the ingredients in the fiber supplements I use (chewable) and it was listed, presumably as the sweetner. I looked it up on wikipedia and (among other things) it says:

Sorbitol is produced naturally by the body, yet sorbitol is poorly digested by the body. Too much sorbitol in cells can cause damage.

Diabetic retinopathy and neuropathy may be related to excess sorbitol in the cells of the eyes and nerves. Ingesting large amounts of sorbitol can lead to some abdominal pain, gas, and mild to severe diarrhea. Sorbitol can also aggravate irritable bowel syndrome and fructose malabsorption.

...so, should I switch to the sugar-sweetened version of the fiber instead? I was using the sugar free ones cause they were lower calories, but some of the stuff they say in the article make me think the few extra calories might be a good trade-off.

;)

#76 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:00 PM

I used Asparatame back in the 1980's when it first came out. Diet Pepsi and used it in my cereal. I used it for about 4 years. It made me sooooooo sick. I was eating every 15 minutes. I would be dizzy under flourescent bulbs (like in stores). I lost a lot of weight even though I was eating a lot.

If I ate anything with real sugar in it, I would pass out. I would be aware of what was going on around me but couldn't move or say anything. It would take between 30-60 minutes to be able to move and start being alert.

I went for glucose tolerance tests. A Dr. lived handy to me and I went there one morning early thinking there was something wrong with my sugar. They tested me right away and there was no sign of diabetic problems. I had a series of blood tests done and nothing was ever found to be wrong.

Finally, a friend told me to go off the asparatame for a few days and see what happened. Within 48 hours I started feeling better, didn't feel like I HAD to eat all the time. The symptoms went away and they haven't returned.

I am so glad that I don't use asparatame anymore.

This is an interesting case study, and one I feel must be pointed out, because it is precisely the reason why anecdotal evidence is NOT a valuable indicator of the safety of various chemicals.

I have a sister-in-law who had similar symptoms in response to diet sodas. The thing is, this is a very personal response to aspartame based on a genetic difference between the people who suffer this response and the 90%-99.9% who don't (I don't know if it's been studied how widespread this genetic difference is). In a way, it's much like lactose-intolerance, which in some people is an acquired trait through too much exposure to dairy, while for others it's simply a genetic deficiency which prevents them from processing lactose properly. It's much like type I diabetes, which is not due to sugar but to a genetic disorder. It would be like saying that vitamin A is toxic because some people have allergic reactions to it (I have another sister-in-law with this particular problem).

For just about any given chemical/vitamin/mineral/macronutrient, there may be some small segment of the population, be it 10% or 0.001%, that will have an adverse reaction. These adverse reactions should not be treated as evidence in any scientific sense of the word, when applying to the general population.

But these reactions are useful evidence in studying these chemicals nonetheless, at least from an academic standpoint (i.e., isn't it neat that...?). And of course, if the size of the affected population is big enough (as it appears to be with aspartame), then further study should go into how to avoid the problem. But to apply these horrific anecdotes of side effects to the general populace shows a blatant disregard for rationality.

BTW, kayyak, it's a bummer that you had to suffer through those conditions. I hope it didn't take too long to figure it out. My sister-in-law thought for years that she was developing M.S., and her doctor couldn't figure it out, until she heard about aspartame and the link to M.S.-like symptoms. After she stopped drinking diet sodas, she was basically "cured" in less than a week.

#77 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:12 PM

Aspartame is made up of three components: phenylalanine, methanol and aspartic acid. Aspartic acid (aspartate), like glutamate, is an excitotoxin. It is
just as capable as glutamate of doing damage to cells and brain nuclei.

both glutamate and aspartate are essential for life. The body makes large quantities of these every day, and glutamate (and/or glutamine) is the primarly method nitrogen is transported to the liver.

#78 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:58 AM

I heard oxygen is bad for you too. I suggest we all stop breathing until a case study is conducted to determine safe levels.

#79 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:08 AM

I heard oxygen is bad for you too. I suggest we all stop breathing until a case study is conducted to determine safe levels.

I think that is what David Blaine is trying to do.

#80 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:35 AM

For just about any given chemical/vitamin/mineral/macronutrient, there may be some small segment of the population, be it 10% or 0.001%, that will have an adverse reaction. These adverse reactions should not be treated as evidence in any scientific sense of the word, when applying to the general population.

Can I quote you when Opales uses similar logic as to why larger then homeopathic (I"m joking kinda) amounts of e.g. vitamins may be harmful?

#81 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:10 AM

Could the basic issue that underlie these kind of debates be that we just do not know how to predict the effect of a (medical) substance when administered to an individual?

We are building our knowledge regarding these effects basically using trial and error methods. When a new substance is developed or discovered, there’s some extrapolation carried out based on previous experiences with similar substances, but what comes next in the procedure of acceptance, again, is trial and error.

The way to make the resulting data of these trial and error test manageable, is to use statistical methods. Oops, where did the knowledge of individual responses go?

The fact is, in my opinion, that we are managing our micro level health with macro level methods. If you don’t recognise this, you could get in big trouble.

But it’s not caused by our economical approach to things, it’s just caused by our low level of knowledge. It’s the only thing we can do, until we hugely increase our knowledge of our genome structure, to name one example.

#82 kayyak

• 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:41 PM

[quote][quote]

BTW, kayyak, it's a bummer that you had to suffer through those conditions. I hope it didn't take too long to figure it out. My sister-in-law thought for years that she was developing M.S., and her doctor couldn't figure it out, until she heard about aspartame and the link to M.S.-like symptoms. After she stopped drinking diet sodas, she was basically "cured" in less than a week.[/quote]

It took four years to figure out what was going on. Also, it affected my husband physically as he was using it at the same time I was using it. Asparatame is hidden in so many things that I have to be careful what I eat in processed foods. I read everything before I buy it now.

Many people are sick because of asparatame and they don't want to look at asparatame as the culprit. Time will tell.

#83 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:44 PM

Many people are sick because of asparatame and they don't want to look at asparatame as the culprit. Time will tell.

True. I'm not saying that aspartame doesn't have at least some negative effect on most/all people, but the evidence isn't really there yet. However, the evidence is fairly conclusive (to me, anyway) that a segment of the population are affected quite adversely by aspartame, and I don't think that the company that markets Nutrasweet has been held accountable enough on this aspect (as far as warning people, studying the root cause(s) of the effects, determining what percentage of people are affected and if there are risk factors that can be identified, etc.).

#84 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:47 PM

Can I quote you when Opales uses similar logic as to why larger then homeopathic (I"m joking kinda) amounts of e.g. vitamins may be harmful?

Er, I guess, though I don't follow... Perhaps you could point me to some past examples of this?

#85 opales

• Topic Starter
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:31 AM

First, I am fairly certain ScottL is wrong about me ever having been using that logic, at least in such an explicit way. Second, I do have say if a substance would adversely effect fairly large percentage of population, say 10%, and would only have fairly inconsistent yet perhaps slightly net positive body of knowledge in terms of doing something useful (ie. supplemental vitamins), I would definitely consider real hard the pros and cons before using such product. This especially if the adverse effect would not be overt, like an allergic reaction, but very subtle that it would be able to cause havoc for a long time and that the affected person would have no chance of knowing he is being affected, like with vitamins.

Biknut, could you provide some evidence for your claim re:weight gain, because last time I heard it was not backed by scientific evidence, as is the case with pretty much every other claim about aspartame:

http://www.aspartame...ths_weight.html

re:MS, while I have sympathy towards everyone affected by this condition, I must point out that even the National MS Society denies any connection between aspartame and MS.

http://www.nationalm...s-aspartame.asp

This quote especially seems appropriate here:

MS symptoms come and go, often randomly. Thus, it is sometimes too easy to assume that something coincidental in a person's life-a food eaten, a specific event, an unproved therapy-is related to the onset of symptoms or the end of symptoms. In fact, it may be independent of any of these things.

Re:NutraSweet not studying the root causes etc., the constant complaints about aspartame have lead aspartame being probably the most researched dietary substance ever. Multitude of complaints (various cancers, headaches, seizures etc.) have been studied, even extensively as with cancers, and no connection has been found.

#86 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:21 AM

I must point out that even the National MS Society denies any connection between aspartame and MS.

Not MS, just MS-like symptoms, probably due to a temporary disruption at a neuronal level similar to the permanent disruption found in MS (in MS, as I very vaguely recall, the problem has something to do with myelin, which seems a lot more permanent than a temporary chemical imbalance, but the net disruption caused at the macro level might be similar).

Also, my sister-in-law had doubts that the diet soda was the culprit, so she started drinking it again after a few months, and the symptoms came back in a couple weeks, and when she stopped, the symptoms went away. Not exactly hard science, but far more than a casual coincidence, as the quote you provided might suggest. There is a very real effect at work (possibly placebo effect, though I doubt it).

#87 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:16 PM

Aspartame made me sick too. I was thrilled when it came out a few years back. I could drink and eat all the sweet things I wanted without calories. It also tasted good. It was almost too good to be true and like most things of that nature, it had a hidden bad side. It only took me a week or so to notice something was wrong. I narrowed it down to the soda and when I quit drinking it, the symptoms went away. I tested it several times later and the symptoms always came back. Like jaydfox says, that may not be hard science but it's good enough for me.

#88 aikikai

• 251 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:01 AM

Has anyone seen this documentary? I'm planning of ordering one copy.

Sweet Misery: A Poisoned World
http://www.amazon.co...?v=glance&n=130

#89 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:50 PM

I posted my mini-review of Sweet Misery a while back.

I know Duke likes it.

#90 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:28 PM

There's a book that just came out last month that is by far the best word on toxins, artificial additives, sweeteners, colorings, etc.

The Hundred-Year Lie: How Food and Medicine Are Destroying Your Health
http://www.amazon.co...glance&n=283155

The book claims that at one time aspartame was being considered as a biological weapon. It is an extremely well researched/referenced book. Probably the best health related book I've read in the last year (and I read at least one every two weeks).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users