• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Nov 5, 2005 - Atlanta Life Extension Conf.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:09 PM

I've heard from a few individuals privately about concerns over accommodation and getting to and from the Atlanta airport. Thought it would be a good idea to start this thread to facilitate those discussions.

If you don't know where to stay, or how to get there coordinate here

#2 eternaltraveler

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:11 PM

Bruce I personally was wondering what methods of transport are available from the Atlanta airport as I've never been there before, how far out is the airport from the city?

#3 eternaltraveler

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:05 AM

I've booked at the super 8 hotel about a mile from the conference.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:54 AM

Hi Justin,

Check: http://imminst.org/c...nce/#Directions

#5 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:02 PM

Map...

Attached Files

• Attached File  map6.png   309.13KB   0 downloads

#6 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:37 PM

I am wondering if I should rent a car. It might be as cost effective than taking a cab back and forth from the airport/conference center/hotel. I could then also shuttle people between locations if need be. Of course, not too many people would fit unless I got a Minivan. What do you think?

#7 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:43 PM

It may be helpful, Mind.. but my feeling is that as all the hotels are in fairly good walking distance (about 1 mile) from the GA Tech Conf. Center, renting a car may not be necessary... also, there is a shuttle service to and from the airport (one-way about $20): http://www.theatlant...k.com/rates.htm

--from GA TECH's HOTEL & CONF CENTER webpage:
Shuttle service from Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson airport to the hotel is available. The Atlanta Link picks up at the hotel at :15 and :45 past the hour, every hour from 6:00 am – 1:00 am, 7 days a week. All service after 7:00 pm requires advance reservations. http://www.gatechhot...pDirections.cfm

#8 ag24

• Honorary Member, Advisor
  • 320 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 11:49 PM

If there is sufficient volunteer time to do the driving, I think it would be a real service to the conference to hire a minivan (or even two) from lunch Friday to evening Sunday, to shuttle people around (not everyone of course, but better than no one). A mile walked is 20 minutes drinking (sorry, talking) time lost, let's not forget, and this will be an unusually (almost uniquely) intensive meeting in terms of people with valuably overlapping specialities meeting each other for the first time. I for one would be happy to chip in a share of the price of such a hire, as I'm sure it would add substantially to what I can both give to and get from the meeting. Plus, if it's $20 per person to the airport this wil definitely save money overall.

#9 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:19 AM

What, you can't walk (drink?) and talk at the same time? ;)

I'll certainly keep this suggestion in mind, Aubrey. I agree, there is valuable time and resources at stake... but on the other hand, I'm willing to allow some premium for expert drivers as offered by the existing shuttle service who know the route and who are at burden to take the responsibly for any possible accidents.

#10 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:31 AM

I am booked at the Super 8 and would also pitch in for the minivan. I think we could save time, plus it may help in setting things up at the conference or perhaps getting speakers to/from hotels.

#11 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:35 AM

If there builds a minivan contention, perhaps we may keep it outside of ImmInst to avoid liability?

#12 Mind

• 19,047 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 06:51 AM

If there builds a minivan contention, perhaps we may keep it outside of ImmInst to avoid liability?

Yes, most definitely. I think what Aubrey was referring to was renting a Minivan or Limo service/professional driver to handle shuttling duties. I am not sure of the cost of this, but it might be a little above what we can afford.

#13 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:01 AM

This shuttle service makes stops at most hotels in the area on a regular basis: http://www.theatlant...servicearea.htm

#14 aurora

• 27 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:54 PM

I would like to know if there is going to be anyone recording some live footage of the November 5 Life Extension Conference?Maby to be added later here?It would be great if there is a collection of notes or a detailed review posted online for those, like myself, who were unable to attend for a number of reasons.I would still be interested in reading about the developments and what the main speakers had to say.Eventually, I would love to see some great pictures and further information after it has taken place.;)

#15 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:20 AM

Aurora, have you come across the talks from Aubrey's IABG10 conference yet? They're from two years ago, but still a great resource to learn what's what in anti aging science. You can both watch the ppt and listen to the mp3, which is almost like being there ;-)

#16 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:24 AM

Thanks, aurora... there are plans to have video of the conference available. Feel free to inquire afterwords.

#17 ag24

• 320 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:28 PM

Hi - no, I was thinking of renting one for volunteers to drive - my impression is everyone in the US can drive anything shorter than about 40 feet, right?

#18 ag24

• 320 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:28 PM

There will also be mp3's of the SENS2 talks very soon.

#19 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:56 PM

40 or 50, Aubrey.... but, my incentive is to create a bit of exercise assuming the weather stays wonderful, thanks to global warming.

#20 eternaltraveler

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:35 AM

My flight will arrive at 5:15pm on friday. If anyone else is going to be at the airport around this time I could share a cab, but otherwise I imagine the shuttle will work fine.

#21 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:31 AM

Yep.. look for "LINK" shuttle service.... should be $18 to get you to the hotel, etc.

Attached Files

• Attached File  atl.png   51.39KB   0 downloads

#22 Mind

• 19,047 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:51 PM

I am scheduled to arrive at the airport at 4:30pm. I am still looking into a rental vehicle. I'll keep you posted.

#23 james3k

• 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:37 PM

I will be arriving ~10:13pm Friday. I still need to book a hotel, it seems the super 8 is booked.

I'm considering the hostel, otherwise there is a Days Inn about 3 miles out. Never been to Atlanta, is the area relatively safe to walk through (3 miles is not that far).

BTW, hello, my name is James and I have been a lurker on this site for about a year. I just recently regestered as a full member. I'll post a better introduction in the approprate areas in the next few days.

#24 Mind

• 19,047 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:41 PM

I just booked a room at the Super 8 (cone street location) for 79 a night. That was the only price point available. There are also rooms available (as of Thursday Oct 20th) at the Super 8 Peachtree location ($69). The Cone street super 8 is 1 mile south of the conference center. The Peachtree super 8 is 1.75 miles north of the conference center. I also have rented a minivan, so a handful of people staying at the Super 8 can ride with me to the conf. center, or a couple of speakers. Again, I am arriving at the airport around 4:30pm Friday November 4th

#25 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:07 PM

James, bear in mind that many hostels close their doors at certain times (i.e. 11:30 or midnite). If there is a way to get in touch with the hostel in advance, that would be good, otherwise you should get the Super 8.

Bruce, your link to the Super 8 hotel on hotels.com seems to be invalid now. Use this link: http://www.super8.co...35&brandInfo=SE.
After entering the dates, there still seem to be rooms ranging from $59 to $66 per night.

I have a room at the Super 8 (cone street location) and will be getting there Thursday night. I plan on enjoying myself, being well-rested (since I won't sleep much on Saturday). I will also be available any time Friday for setting things up and helping getting anyone else situated.

#26 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:16 PM

Great, Mind... thanks for helping with the van!

Welcome, James... this area of Atlanata is safe.

Thanks, Joel.... I've updated the link.

#27 james3k

• 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for the link, I'll be at the Cone Street Super 8 myself. I was going to try to arrive earlier, but, at this point you take what flights you can get. I'll call ahead and make sure I can still check in if the flight is late.

Thanks again!

#28 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:58 PM

You shouldn't have a problem checking in late at the Super 8. It's only the youth hostels that have differing hours. Since you're staying at the Super 8, you should be fine.

#29 bacopacabana

• 40 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:47 PM

If you're okay with hoofing it a bit, you could take MARTA from the airport to North Avenue station and walk from there. There should also be some buses from the station, but I don't know exactly what's available.

#30 JMorgan

• 645 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:42 PM

Here's a resource that may help as we get near the conference date: Atlanta's public transit system: http://www.itsmarta.com/

Depending on where you're staying, you may be near the CNN Center which is the W1 stop on the East/West line. And as was already mentioned, the MARTA stops at the North Avenue station (North/South line) near the convention center. You can also get the center's trolly service if you stop at the Midtown station, but on Saturday, the trolly service only runs from 10am-6pm, so it's only useful to those of you who are late. :)

And for those of you sticking around til Sunday or Monday, here's some info on what else there is to do. http://www.atlanta.n...tors/index.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users