Photo
- - - - -

Sinus Congestion

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ilovetheopprest

• 10 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:26 PM

The largest health issue I have affects my quality of life more than any other factor. I have chronic extreme sinus congestion. I have had this problem for as long as I can remember. Here's what I have done for it:

3 separate surgeries:
deviated septum
laser turbinate reduction
removal of uncinate process, turbinoplasty

Prescription medications:
(i tried each of these for at least 6 months, in various combinations)
claritin (d)
allegra
zyrtec
clarinex
rhinocort
nasalcort
flonase
nasonex
astelin
+various leukotriene antagonists

None of these has significantly affected my symptoms except the first surgery, which made the congestion cycle between sides, rather than never being able to breathe out of my right side. One side of my face is always painfully inflamed and congested, across all areas of the sinuses, turbinates especially. Needless to say, this affects my focus, comfort level, and worst of all, ability to sleep and sleep quality. I need help.

As far as OTC products, I have tried all of them, including capsaicin based products (what's in hot peppers). The only thing that relieves my symptoms is OTC decongestant nasal sprays. However, these are not a solution to the problem because they make things worse in the long run and cause dependency so I do not take them. I have posted my supplement stack elsewhere, and I take many supplements purported to have an anti-inflammatory action. Among these are inhibitors of 5-lox, cox-2, and things like fish oil, rosemary extract, curcumin, ginger, green tea, grape-seed extract, all kinds of fruit extracts, etc etc. I can't say these have helped my sinus symptoms, unfortunately.

I have tried also:
many different doctors and gotten MRI's probably 5 times and xrays once (I hate xrays) - all of these confirmed my symptoms
allergy shots (5+ years - offered some relief)
yoga
2 alternative health doctors
meditation
accupuncture
rice-only diet (for 2 weeks, I had to stop because I lost 10 pounds and didn't benefit)

None of these work. Doctors tell me I have an "extremely aggressive cycle" of congestion in my sinuses, but can't offer any solutions.

Does anyone have any advice? I waste many hours each day coming in and out of a shallow sleep and I get depressed a lot, mostly because of this issue.

#2 pSimonKey

• 158 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:36 PM

Have you tried a Neti pot ? I too have had the most aggrovating nasal congestion. When some one first showed me a neti pot and how to use one I was in central London mid summer with the most blocked head everever. I thought it was a way weird thing to do but I too had tried everything. I tried it and had such relief I did it again. I now do a pot every day as course. I do hope it works for you too.

www.healingdaily.com/exercise/neti-pot.htm

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:50 PM

go get an elisa/act test, now... http://www.elisaact.com/

you probably have a shitload of food alergies...

guy i know was getting bi-weekly alergy shots for like 10 years or something crazy like that, got an elisa/act test... removed all the alergens, the main one being wheat, from his diet... 3 months later no alergies..

i have constantly post nasal drip & ear infection unless i completely avoid dairy... if i have so much as a mouthfull of milk within a few hours my body becomes a giant ball of mucous.

i would also start taking quercitin(this one is good) on a regular basis for the strong anti-histamine effects that it has.

#4 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:11 PM

The guy mentioned going on a rice-only diet for two weeks. Wouldn't that indicate that it's not a food allergy?

Quercitin; what's that made out of? Is it in the vitamin C family?

I have the same problem with milk. If I drink milk I am congested. Luckily I can have cheese and heavy cream, though.

--Rick

#5 ilovetheopprest

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:19 PM

Thank-you so much Ajnast4r, I am definitely going to have that test taken ASAP. I will share with all of you my results. My stint with the allergen free diet was not enough really to convince me it's not food allergies. Also, that was many years ago and I have been wanting to do something like this test for a long time.

I don't use a netti pot but I use my own saline solution in a spray bottle, which has the same effect. Also to clarify, I don't get any mucous at all from anything really. I can drink milk all day and I won't get liquid / snot. That's not to say it is not contribuing to my swelling.

#6 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:19 PM

My stint with the allergen free diet was not enough really to convince me it's not food allergies. 

how can you have an alergen free diet if you dont know what ur alergic too... get the test, it covers like 450 substances.

I don't use a netti pot but I use my own saline solution in a spray bottle, which has the same effect.

no, completely different. neti pot is 234987234987x better than saline spray. its like comparing splashing water on your face to a shower.

The guy mentioned going on a rice-only diet for two weeks.  Wouldn't that indicate that it's not a food allergy?

bad idea because that type of diet would lack adaquite nutrition, which would contribute to undesirable reactions in the body... and rice is a common alergen.

Quercitin; what's that made out of?  Is it in the vitamin C family?

its a bioflavanoid of some sort, not sure where it comes from

#7 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:44 AM

Quercitin; what's that made out of?  Is it in the vitamin C family?

Quercetin is a bioflavonoid, a phytoestrogen actually,
found in the plant kingdom, highest source of it is
probably from onions.

Quercetin has potent antioxidant, antiinflammatory,
antihistaminic and anticancer properties. It's commonly
found in allergy formulas, such as Solaray's QBC Plex.

http://betterlife.co...sp?prod_id=3107

Edited by tham, 27 October 2005 - 05:15 PM.

#8 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:08 AM

Here are some good nasal allergy formulas . Note
that many of them contain quercetin, nettle leaf extract,
bromelain and liquorice. You should exercise caution
when taking large amounts of liquorice if you have high
blood pressure, unless it is deglycyrrhizinated
(glycyrrhizine removed).

The Aller-7 formula apparently took InterHealth
some ten years to develop. They appear to be
mostly Ayurvedic herbs.

I have a bottle of the Natural Factors product which
I am trying for eczema, since mast cells and
inflammatory leukotrienes are also involved here. It
doesn't appear to help, or maybe I'm taking too low a
dose for too short a time. Or more likely, eczema involves
other pathways.

http://www.interheal...icalStudy1.aspx

http://betterlife.co...p?prod_id=13070

http://betterlife.co...p?prod_id=19633

http://betterlife.co...sp?prod_id=6104

http://betterlife.co...p?prod_id=20592

http://betterlife.co...p?prod_id=12719

http://betterlife.co...sp?prod_id=9654

http://betterlife.co...p?prod_id=20391

http://betterlife.co...sp?prod_id=8609

http://betterlife.co...p?prod_id=17340

http://betterlife.co...p?prod_id=11648

http://betterlife.co...p?prod_id=17423

Edited by tham, 27 October 2005 - 08:39 AM.

#9 ilovetheopprest

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:25 PM

well, I took every suggestion I've been given so far

The ELISA IGG food allergy blood test results came back, and was the most promising. Thanks ajnast4r.

I am allergic to all of the dairy items they tested for. I have no other allergies, except to sesame, which is mild. I never eat sesame anyway (or take sesamin, etc)

I have completely eliminated ALL dairy from my diet. I am replacing milk with soy and rice milk. The hardest part is cheese and hidden milk proteins. I am going to STRICTLY follow this diet for 3 months at which point I will re-evaluate my symptoms, and possibly reintroduce dairy like crazy to see if I notice any change.

I will keep all of you posted with the results.

That said, I do not believe the IGG food allergy testing tells us very much. My mother was tested twice and showed COMPLETELY different allergies each time. I have an open mind and am willing to try anything that might help me with this debilitating problem.

ANY suggestions for what to eat post-workout now that I can't take whey / casein??
I've been doing 4 raw eggs in rice milk with berries...

I also added quercetin and bromelain from NOW foods.

#10 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:03 PM

ANY suggestions for what to eat post-workout now that I can't take whey / casein??
I've been doing 4 raw eggs in rice milk with berries....

good quality egg protein... or soy protein (as long as you dont go over 30-40 grams)

#11 ilovetheopprest

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:20 AM

Well, it has been over two months since I changed my diet. I have been extremely careful to eliminate all things dairy. To the best of my informed knowledge, I have not had ANYTHING containing dairy since then, not even once.

Also, I began using sinus irrigation twice a day, every day again. It's been about the 3rd period of time I've given it an extended trial.

Lastly, I've taken Quercetin with bromelain enhanced absorbtion caps consistently.

My results are that my symptoms are no less severe. My sinuses continue to be totally inflammed. I am getting almost no air-flow when I breathe with my nose, I have to push air in and out of it. During my better moments, when this is not the case, one side or the other remains completely blocked due to swelling.

I don't mean to sound dramatic, but I have suffered psychological and emotional damage from this problem. I believe that by its nature, the location, persistence, and feeling that I get from the swelling is debilitating in ways that are hard to describe. I know that my consciousness has been affected for the worse. I can make a strained comparison with what I imagine chinese water torture would be like... relentless and focused.

Over and over I contemplate having my turbinates surgically removed, but I can't in light of post-operative reports from others who have undergone the surgery. They say that while they don't suffer the inflammation, they experience a condition that has come to be called "empty-nose" syndrome, in which, paradoxically, the patient feels as though there is never enough air filling the sinuses or nostrils. In fact, the degree of discomfort this condition has caused people has led to the development of prosthetic turbinates to fill the empty areas. This attempt at compensation doesn't achieve good results either.

I don't know, the food allergy explanation always held a spot in the back of mind as a holdout for hoping that I might be able to curb the problem to a level where I can get on with my life. Now that I've explored it I'm losing hope in a really ugly way.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this here... maybe it will at least make the rest of you count your blessings.

#12 Paul Idol

• Guest Paul Idol
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:45 PM

Also, I began using sinus irrigation twice a day, every day again. It's been about the 3rd period of time I've given it an extended trial.

What kind of irrigator are you using, and with what sort of solution?

-Paul

#13 ilovetheopprest

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:18 AM

I use the Hydro Pulse System with drug-free saline packets. I started to make my own packets to save money though because the ingredients are readily available.

I own and have used both a bulb and a netti pot, but the PS was covered by my insurance and is more convenient. It does not provide the type of relief I am looking for. It's great on the rare occasion my nose is dry, but it does not reduce the inflammation.

#14 Paul Idol

• Guest Paul Idol
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:38 PM

I use the Hydro Pulse System with drug-free saline packets.  I started to make my own packets to save money though because the ingredients are readily available.

I own and have used both a bulb and a netti pot, but the PS was covered by my insurance and is more convenient.  It does not provide the type of relief I am looking for.  It's great on the rare occasion my nose is dry, but it does not reduce the inflammation.

Nuts. I was going to recommend the Hydro Pulse if you were just using a neti pot or a squeeze bottle or something. I have one, and when my allergies get bad it helps a lot.

How's your digestion?

-Paul

#15 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:45 PM

Over and over I contemplate having my turbinates surgically removed, but I can't in light of post-operative reports from others who have undergone the surgery.  They say that while they don't suffer the inflammation, they experience a condition that has come to be called "empty-nose" syndrome, in which, paradoxically, the patient feels as though there is never enough air filling the sinuses or nostrils.  In fact, the degree of discomfort this condition has caused people has led to the development of prosthetic turbinates to fill the empty areas.  This attempt at compensation doesn't achieve good results either.

My turbinates, particularly the right one, have been
enlarged since my teens, and I had been advised to
have them removed years ago, though never did it.

An ENT surgeon whom I asked recently about a possible
turbinectomy told me that, if done, he would probably
just trim the right one only to the edge of the inferior
turbinate bone, to avoid any subsequent crusting
and dryness problems.

http://www.sinusinfo...rTurbinate.html

http://www.emedicine...nt/topic129.htm

This also looks interesting :

http://www.distanthe...s_sinusitis.htm

#16 ilovetheopprest

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 06:36 PM

Thanks guys.

I have an iron gut. Back in my less descriminating days, I could almost anything and however much I wanted without problems. I keep to a fairly strict, sensible diet now though, but still with no digestion problems.

Yeah, I have a few books on sinus problems. I have already had a turbinoplasty surgery from a doctor who took a conservative approach to preserve nearly all of the mucosa. I'm concerned that if I had another, more invasive one I might have empty nose or pain.

#17 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:46 AM

Where do you live? You should consider moving to a more "sinus friendly" part of the world if the problem is making your life as hard as you say.

#18 REGIMEN

• 570 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:34 AM

Before I had allergen testing, I had great results with just liquid Kyolic garlic. Put the liquid in 2-4 00-size capsules and the nasal congestion and headaches cleared out within half and hour(get the tissues ready!). Garlic's not that bad a daily supplement, anyways. One bottle of the stuff goes for about $10 and at that dosing(2-3 times daily) should last 2-3 weeks. I bet you drink alot of water everyday, going through all that you have, but yeah, extra water is helpful for this kind of thing at least in my case.

#19 Mouser

• 81 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:56 AM

This is an old thread, but OP if you're still out there there's now Patanase nasal spray. I've always had minor nasal congestion. Where all the steroidal sprays haven't worked, this has. The generic name is Olopatadine (still on patent). Maybe worth a try. The wikipedia entry says it's a antihistamine and mast cell stabilizer. Also wouldn't hurt to try 5-Loxin or another Bosswellia product which, if I'm not mistaken, are thought to inhibit leukotriene.

#20 rubegoldberg

• 50 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:27 AM

serrapeptase may loosen problem sinuses. it purportedly does many things. however, it is notable in that it thins mucous. I had sinus trouble for many years particularly when sleeping. however, I began 40000 units of serrapeptase about two years ago one tab every day and I was surprised that I eventually cleared up. I went through significant drainage that endured maybe 2-3 weeks before things calmed down. I now take one 40000 unit tab once or twice a week and I note minor drainage shortly afterward. Now I remain clear even when prone. I don't know if it is the serrapeptase or not that has made a difference, but I don't know what else to attribute it to.

#21 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:56 AM

This is an old thread, but OP if you're still out there there's now Patanase nasal spray. I've always had minor nasal congestion. Where all the steroidal sprays haven't worked, this has. The generic name is Olopatadine (still on patent). Maybe worth a try. The wikipedia entry says it's a antihistamine and mast cell stabilizer. Also wouldn't hurt to try 5-Loxin or another Bosswellia product which, if I'm not mistaken, are thought to inhibit leukotriene.

The Patanase is a good idea. My wife has had very good results with Alcon Patanol opthalmic, (same compound) when nothing else seemed to work. That said, my experience with immunotherapy might be useful- I was miserable for several years, finally saw an allergist, and had a very small reaction to dust mite antigen in a skin test. It didn't look like much of an allergy, but with nothing better to do (besides the usual steroids etc) I started immunotherapy. I got a shot every week and gradually increased the dose. It wasn't until I reached a fairly high dose, which took at least 6 months if I recall, that I really started to respond. I kind of doubt that the OP is checking this thread after three years, but I'd advise him to push harder on the shots. He mentioned getting at least some response, which suggests it was the right track.

#22 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:20 AM

Has anyone tried the pepper nasal sprays? Apparently they work well, and there is no risk of rebound congestion.

#23 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2023 - 01:51 PM

Sinus function is to get rid of all bad bacteria excess in your body collect it in one place as saliva buildup then spit it out or swallow it and stomach acid will take care of it. congestion is caused by health issues your getting recourring infection or body not doing enough. normally build up shouldnt happen and it should be clear saliva that slowly drips by itself without you noticing

Edited by kurdishfella, 01 December 2023 - 01:52 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#24 High-IQ-Toilet

• 6 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 10:55 AM

From my research, I have stumbled across anecdotal Reddit reports supporting the administration of biological DUPLIXENT for successful clearance of chronic nasal congestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users