• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Montelukast (Singulair) or other leukotriene modifiers (EU)

monelukast montelukast singulair

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cargocultist

• 59 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:15 AM

To improve brain function. What's a a good pharma in the EU that sells this?

*I wrote "Montekulast"in the topic title, this should be "Montelukast". Can a moderator fix this? It would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by cargocultist, 08 November 2015 - 01:26 AM.

• unsure x 1

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:49 AM

Singulair improves brain function?  It's a pretty common drug, so it shouldn't be hard to find.  What's the purported mechanism?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:05 AM

Singulair improves brain function?  It's a pretty common drug, so it shouldn't be hard to find.  What's the purported mechanism?

http://www.longecity...as-a-nootropic/

#4 cargocultist

• Topic Starter
  • 59 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:37 AM

Thanks for fixing the title. I'm interested in inhibiting leukrotriene producting or antagonizing the receptors because I have an over active immune system. I can observe inflammation in my fingernail cuticles and have suffered from pitted nails before (possibly psoriasis). Interestingly, this inflammation co-occurs with lowered cognitive function and gets worse with omega 6 intake and better with omega-3 intake. I suspect my cognitive dysfunction has a bbb vascular cause related to leukotriene over activity.

The second reason I'd like to try it is that I sometimes use low-dose dextromethorphan as an anti-depressant. This works very well but DXM also releases histamine and causes me some problems. I don't want to take anti-histamines. Interfering with leukotriene action may be an option to counteract the histaminergic problem.

#5 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 02:41 AM

Thanks Hebbeh.  With millions of people taking 5-LO inhibitors for allergy/asthma, you'd think some of them would have noticed if it was really amazing for brain function.  I'd be looking for a subtle effect, if any.

• Good Point x 2

#6 cargocultist

• Topic Starter
  • 59 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:13 AM

Thanks Hebbeh.  With millions of people taking 5-LO inhibitors for allergy/asthma, you'd think some of them would have noticed if it was really amazing for brain function.  I'd be looking for a subtle effect, if any.

Maybe. But if it kicks in after a month of use people perhaps simply don't connect the dots. Ibuprofen seems to decrease the risk of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. You'd expect people to feel some cognitive difference but this is rarely reported. I actually do have a possitive cognitive response to ibuprofen.

#7 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:18 AM

Yeah, maybe not.  It's not like they'd be looking for it.  Also, "not getting Alzheimer's" doesn't feel like anything.  If it's preventing dementia, then you can't really notice it.  You would only notice if it didn't work.  (Unless you were too demented to notice...)

• Cheerful x 1

#8 cargocultist

• Topic Starter
  • 59 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:35 AM

Yeah, maybe not.  It's not like they'd be looking for it.  Also, "not getting Alzheimer's" doesn't feel like anything.  If it's preventing dementia, then you can't really notice it.  You would only notice if it didn't work.  (Unless you were too demented to notice...)

Perhaps. But if you already have mild cognitive impairment it's plausible some chemical could rectify part of the problem. I'm talking the accute functional problem perhaps more than the structural problem. The two are connected of course. I'd say that if inflammation is a major component of Alzheimer's and mild cognitive impairment, then reducing the inflammatory mechanism should have a a noticible effect on cognitive function.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#9 LongLife

• 145 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:00 PM

NINER: I agree to a small portion of your comment. I help people who have obvious dementia; short term memory failure. It is hit and miss asking a person with any degree of notable dementia what they notice or do not, in context to your point. Some lie, some answer just to answer, most say "I don't know". If a substance "works" / improves short term memory, then everyone connected with the demented person will know and eventually the demented person also.

I would try 10mg/day for a few days then 15mg/day for a ten days, test, then 20mg for ten days, test, then 25 mg/day...observing improvements & contradictions. It would be well worthy if a natural substance could be found that operates the same as Montelukast. Now that I have come across this information I am going to go check out the herb market here, it's the largest in Northern Peru, and ask about anti inflammatory's. I have found many research studies available on Cat's Claw ( Uña de Gato - Uncaria tomentosa and Uncaria guianensis) and it's similar effects on Alzheimer's; as Montelukast. I have not dived in to read up on the exact mechanism to see if it is the same or not. But here Cat's Clay is recommended by the herbalists (shaman) for dementia when first noticed.

SEE: (2013) The Globalization of Traditional Medicine in Northern Peru: From Shamanism to Molecules

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3888705/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: monelukast, montelukast, singulair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users