• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone think their homebrew c60/oo is "better" than commercial?

homemade

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 05:20 PM

Not just cheaper?

I'm about to make a home brew batch and just wanted to see who thinks they had the most success, what equipment,  sources of c60 and olive oil they used, as well as their "recipe." 

Thanks in advance.

#2 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:31 PM

I've been making C60 mixes since 2012, and for a long time I felt that keeping oxygen out was important. But research shows adding oxygen to C60 to form epoxides actually makes the stuff a better anti-oxidant. So this last batch I used my normal EVOO (California Ranch) and C60 (SES 99.95+ %, vacuum oven dried) at a .5mg/ml concentration. This I ground in a stainless mortar. I placed 1/2 L in a 1 L clear bottle and filled it with oxygen (from a Bernzomatic cylinder), capped and shook it aggressively. I repeated this a couple of times, added the ground C60 and stirrer bar, filled the bottle again with oxygen, capped and shook it, then placed it on a magnetic stirrer in the dark for one week. After that time some specks were still visible with a green laser, but when I filtered it at .22 micron, the filter paper was fairly clean. No dark specks were visible. The filtered liquid was a dark magenta in a 1/2 L vessel, but appears whiskey colored in a spoon. It may be more effective than what I had made previously since taking it (5 mg) I've had noticeably more energy than usual. 

Note: It's unlikely that epoxides actually form this way (as these generally require metal catalysts or ultrasonic treatment), so likely the O2 just accelerates the formation of adducts. Vacuum filtering should remove some of the oxygen, and subsequent freezing should stabilize it against rancidity.

• like x 3
  • Informative x 2
  • Well Written x 1

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for C60 HEALTH to support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Junk Master

• Topic Starter
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:05 PM

Now that a great post, Turnbuckle.  Exactly what I was looking for.  I happen to favor that California Ranch Olive Oil too.

Thanks!

• Informative x 1

#4 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:58 AM

Moved to relevant thread.

Edited by Nate-2004, 09 May 2016 - 04:08 AM.

#5 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:13 AM

I'd forgotten about the post above (#2), and I now withdraw it. While oxygen in the oil may make the mix better temporarily, I eventually discovered that it didn't last. A better approach is to use an extremely fresh oil with a high polyphenol content. See C60/EVOO: A polyphenol hypothesis.

#6 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:14 PM

What about the purity of the C60? I accidentally got 99.5 instead of 99.95 when I saw a post where you said you use 99.5 in that thread you linked.  I'm not sure which one is better to use. I may have to exchange my stirrer too because the stir bar isn't spinning in place. It's bouncing around the glass.

#7 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:26 PM

What about the purity of the C60? I accidentally got 99.5 instead of 99.95 when I saw a post where you said you use 99.5 in that thread you linked.  I'm not sure which one is better to use. I may have to exchange my stirrer too because the stir bar isn't spinning in place. It's bouncing around the glass.

I always get the vacuum oven grade as it has no residual toluene. As for the stirrer bar, try using a bottle with a flat bottom and start up the bar at the zero setting and turn it up slowly.

#8 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:06 PM

I always get the vacuum oven grade as it has no residual toluene.

Holy crap the 99.5% may have toluene in it? Would that be toxic at the .6g-7g/L level?

#9 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:14 PM

I always get the vacuum oven grade as it has no residual toluene.

Holy crap the 99.5% may have toluene in it? Would that be toxic at the .6g-7g/L level?

Not enough to stress out over.  Most of the impurity is C70.

#10 cuprous

• 170 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:25 AM

I always get the vacuum oven grade as it has no residual toluene. As for the stirrer bar, try using a bottle with a flat bottom and start up the bar at the zero setting and turn it up slowly.

Flat bottom is a good call.  I have a standard amber 4oz / 120ml jar that has the convex bottom and the C60 does tend to aggregate there. 

Do you really think the filtration is necessary?  I was under the impression these "clumps" were considered harmless and would pass through the GI tract without incident.

#11 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:34 AM

Do you really think the filtration is necessary?  I was under the impression these "clumps" were considered harmless and would pass through the GI tract without incident.

According to one of the authors of the original rat paper, filtering doesn't matter, but I doubt he's actually checked that statement. As for me, I didn't filter my first batch four years ago, but subsequent batches I did. More recently I switched the solvent to MCT oil rather than olive oil, as MCT oil is more stable. I also got better results. Unfortunately, MCT oil attacks the filter plastic (polyethersulfone) very rapidly, so I won't be able to use those particular filters anymore and I probably will not filter the next couple of batches. See the final note on this post.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 22 September 2016 - 10:58 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: homemade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users