- - - - -

What nootropics should I take?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 beyond infinity

• 8 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:54 AM

Hi all, I'm new to these forums.
I want to put a question out to all you pros.

I have been diagnosed with ADHD (long time ago). I have poor concentration and have to really try hard to absorbe and follow what people say because I suffer from a short and hyperactive attention span. I very often have to relay what a person has just said before it be absorbed and focus on my own thoughts and following lines of conversation are poor. I also get very restless and anxious, sometimes more than others.
The one other thing I would like to improve is my motivation (which I don't think is connected with the ADHD) athough this is secondary to the above.

What nootropics / best combination, do you think would help me?

Thanks

P.s I've tried piracetam and vinpocetine but stopped taking those due to side effects. Oxiracetam etc. I've thought might be good.

#2 enigma

• 143 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:14 PM

I would try taking tyrosine, perhaps upto 3g/day

Possibly ALCAR (with R-ALA)

Pramiracetam is very expensive and had a strong motivating effect on me the first time and very little thereafter.

Deprenyl, 2.5 mg/day has had a reasonable motivating effect on me, and especially so when combined with DLPA, depending on your age this might be something to look into, but do research it extensively before deciding.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 beyond infinity

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:12 PM

Thanks. Why did you say "with R-ALA"? Does alcar generate free radicals in high doses? And how about normal ALA - The stuff that's sold in shops over here is just called ALA. Is that R-ALA by default?

#4 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:13 AM

Thanks.  Why did you say "with R-ALA"?  Does alcar generate free radicals in high doses?

High doses, low doses, medium doses. Anything that stimulates the mitochondria stimulates free radicals.

And how about normal ALA - The stuff that's sold in shops over here is just called ALA.  Is that R-ALA by default?

Nope. At least for nootropical usage, normal -- aka racemic ALA -- doesn't do dick.

#5 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:05 PM

rfarris
it's strange, i'd swear there are many research studies done on plain normal ALA, that confirmed it's benefits. And not nearly as much done on RLA and other newer stuff.
Remember, ALA is still 50% R part.

Can you please explain what does RLA do that ALA doesn't? And even better, show me some independant research (not done by companies) that compare these two?

#6 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 02:48 AM

I can't help you with research (I think I have ADD!) but as I understand it, S-ALA has no effect, but it still fills up the ... I can't remember the term, but I use the word "ports" ... so that, statistically, half the ports are horned out by the S-ALA, so you're only getting half the dose you think you are.

(Sorry, but it's time for dinner, my blood sugar is low, and yeah, I have ADD :) )

As you point out the ALA is half R-ALA, but it's the only half that works.

#7 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:42 AM

Compare the prices. 300mg ALA which has 150mg RLA is much cheaper than 100mg pure RLA. You're right that SLA does "fight" with RLA at some points. But i've see none of independant research supporting the claims that SLA that bad to nullify the effects of RLA. Plus i remember reading that SLA has some benefits too (though not as much as RLA).
I'd love to use only RLA, but the advantages doesn't justify the price at the moment.

#8 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 06:54 AM

My brain is working better now, so I will mention that I think I remember that pure, chiral versions of R-ALA works for mitochondriacal tasks like glycemic control, reversing enzyme and DNA oxidative damage, as well as reversing insulin resistance. On the other hand, I know that there are benefits that are provided by racemic ALA, but I can't remember what they are.

#9 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:37 AM

They are the same ones you mentioned ;) Search more on ALA on net. You'll find that almost all of the studies were done on normal ALA.

#10 sja_

• 23 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 03:29 PM

Rfarris is correct. The only thing that I would add is that R-ALA will polymerize as soon as it sees moisture. This will render it much less effective. What is recommended is that you either get plain ALA and double up (for cost effectiveness). Or you get potassium bound R-ALA which would be KR-ALA. This is very stable and much more effective. A good supplement that has some additives such as querceten and D-biotin to help with absorption is Glucophase from Designer Supps.

Dr. Ames has performed some deep research on ALA as well as the most well known supplier Gernova. I had the luxury of chatting with one of the scientists from this company about this subject and she really had some valuable info.

FWIW.....whenever I took plain ALA or RALA, I would always end up with the worst stomach burn about 10 minutes after ingestion. I'm thinking now that it was the polymerization happening. With KR-ALA, I do not experience this. But I know that it is working because I've seen diabetics perform a test taking KR-ALA without ingesting carbs and after ingesting them. It (Glucophase) definitely disposes the glucose....so I would assume that it is also doing it's free radical magic as well. There is also a gel version of KRALA coming out. I hear good things about it and look forward to trying it. Sounds like a good way to increase absorption to me. the stability is superior as well.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 notshorty

• 30 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 04:44 AM

The creator of this site ( http://coldcure.com/html/mag-list.html ) has a boner for magnesium. Although it's understandable b/c minerals are real important, so I'd start with those.

Check out the ADD link on the above post, and please give feedback of any results you get from things you try...

NS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users