Photo
- - - - -

"L" versions?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 goku

• 292 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 07:38 AM

Is there a difference between the "L" versions of substances and the non "L" versions and what does the L version mean. I mean as regards L-Glutamine, L-arginine, etc.

#2 exigentsky

• 262 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:09 AM

I'm not certain, but I think it is the same thing in most cases. I.E.: Deprenyl = L-Deprenyl, L-Glutamine = Glutamine, L - Arginine = Arginine. I think the L is sometimes omitted for conciseness.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 06:49 AM

L stands for levo, and refers to chirality. A levo enantiomer will rotate light in a counter-clockwise direction. The mirror image of a levo enantiomer is referred to as dextro enantiomer, which will rotate light in the clockwise direction. If the chirality isn't specified, then it is possible that the product may well be a racemic product, which refers to being composed of a 50:50 mixture of levo and dextro mirror images.

#4 purerealm

• 227 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:06 AM

can someone translate that into english?

#5 oilfieldpilot

• 67 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 01:14 AM

well, clear as mud to me!

(pssst...what's it all mean, though...?)

I guess all that matters is that you 'swallow' it...as he suggested in another thread...
;)

#6 exitscratch7

• 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 03:25 AM

Most amino acid supplements (at least most of the effective ones) are sold with the L isomer. Usually the D isomer is inactive, although tere are exceptions (D-phenylalanine seems to have differing effects from L-phenylalanine).

I was just reading a thread about how theanine (a common amino acid, present in high concentrations in green tea) is often sold with a racemic mixture of D and L isomers. Apparently not only are the D isomers ineffective, they also inhibit absorption of the L-isomers. This renders the theanine much less effective than a purely l-theanine product.

#7 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 04:42 AM

can someone translate that into english?

That was my short attempt. Here's the long version:

Chirality

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:32 AM

simple: "L = left spin" "D = right spin"

the body likes L

the body does not like D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users