• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Prove to Me That Supplements Make a Difference?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 psychenaut

• Life Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:22 PM

Hi All,

I will paste here what I just posted to my blog. Research worthy of a journal article? Probably not. Something actually quantified vs subjective? You bet. Hope you enjoy.

Homocysteine, C-Reactive Protein, Triglycerides and Supplementation. My Proof.

As is evidenced in my posts, I use supplements. With two exceptions (spin traps), I sell what I use. I have a pretty consistent regimin that I stick with on a daily basis. As a 44 year old man, I become more cognizant of my physical and mental health as every year passes.

Regarding supplements, you might have mixed emotions on what works (for what) and what does not. "I feel better" is pretty subjective, but blood work does not lie. I feel great, but wanted to see quantifiable evidence of what I was doing to my body. Good, or bad.

My physician, Dr. Rowell, expressed a high degree of skepticism as I asked for testing to document any benefits from my diet and supplement use. I didn't blame him a bit as the supplement business is rich with hype and poor with proof.

I went to pick up the test results today which were supposed to be simply handed over to me, but instead I was asked to take a seat and wait for the doctor to talk to me. Yikes! Why the hushed tones and consultation? Had I destroyed my liver? Were my kidneys fried? Was my blood a suitable substitute for coffee creamer?

After a few minutes I was ushered into the examination room and Dr. Rowell began rifling the 4 pages of lab results...

The upshot? He wanted to know what I was taking!

Why?

All parameters were perfect, CBC/Platelets were perfect, Comprehensive Metabolic Panel was perfect, Endocrinology was perfect.

Except Lipids which showed improvement:

Triglycerides at 88 mg/dL were halved from two years ago.
Cholesterol 160 mg/dL (down from 198 two years ago)
Cholesterol/HDL ratio 3.5 (couldn't ask for better)

But the real kicker, and what stunned him was:

HS-CRP (High Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein) 0.27 mg/L(normal range 3-10)
Yes, that is not a typo: 0.27

Homocystein 5.8 micromoles (Desirable for males: less than 11.4 micromoles/L)

My doctor had never seen a HS-CRP or homocystein measurement so low in any of his patients before! These tests are a measure of inflammation and have some value in predicting cardiovascular risks. Do a Google on them to learn some very interesting facts about these measures.

Want proof of the tests? If you are a physician and are willing to fax me or scan your license, I will email you a scan of my actual test results ran at Quest Diagnostics in San Jose and Sacramaneto CA..

Modern anti-aging research has many roads leading to reduction of inflammation as being key to anti-aging therapy (see Dr. Cynthia Kenyons ground breaking work). If you prefer Dr. Perricone and his style, you must remember he considers inflammation key to a healthy body.

So I left the physicians office quite thrilled- seems I have, through careful and intelligent supplementation, achieved, at least via currently measurable qualities, a highly desirable chemical balance in my body. Suitable, all things considered, for a very long and healthy life.

The best part? My business is focused like a laser on helping other people live longer, healthier lives. Bringing them products they can trust and building relationships built on offering superior value.

My supplement regimin in the next blog post. I can't wait to share with you!

Cheers!
Pete

#2 goku

• 292 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:18 PM

I'm not a physician but I'd like to see a copy of your tests. The HS-CRP and Homocysteine is impressive and I buy from you guys at RI.

What you should do - and I don't see why you can't - is post these for all your customers to see on this forum -- it'd be an incredbile boon for business, right?

Just post them on this thread so all can see and make comments. You should really also post on your website. I would.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 psychenaut

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:45 PM

Hi Goku,

Why not indeed? Follow this link to see the full results that document the numbers in my previous post. Compelling support for intelligent supplentation with high-quality, products.

Since that test, I have switched from LEF's EPA/DHA to my new SalmonEssentials, and Asta Factor Sports Formula with astaxanthin. There is going to be a controlled/double blind study out by year end on astaxanthin on CRP. I may be able to drop these inflammation measurements even lower.

The subjective evidence has been unequivocal since I have been on my regimen- I have never felt better in my life. The "new" mid-forties are the mid twenties as far as I am concerned. As always- my blog has whatever changes I make to my regimen.

Cheers!
Pete

#4 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 10:17 PM

Very good, Pete. That's the sort of thing we all want to hear. Now the $64 question is what supplements do you take? Post your stack and tell us if it's daily, weekly or what. We all want to achieve results like that so tell us how you did it.

#5 goku

• 292 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:22 AM

I'm glad to see you followed through, Pete. I'll remain a customer. You've gone out of your way and then you backed your claims -- and BTW, I was definitely gonna badger you if you didn't pick up the gauntlet I threw down until the end of time after your intial claims -- Anyway, you've corroborated yourself, and that is worth something.

#6 kevink

• 184 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:09 PM

Very good, Pete. That's the sort of thing we all want to hear. Now the $64 question is what supplements do you take? Post your stack and tell us if it's daily, weekly or what. We all want to achieve results like that so tell us how you did it.

He posted his basic stack on his blog a week or so ago when he first got his results. I really liked that he posted his stack because it validated my choices (as did a LifeMirage PM too).

I should also say that I've ordered from Relentless and it's been a pleasure doing business with him. The only problem is the return policy "stinks", but I totally agree with it since I want chain of custody too! I'm willing to take responsibility for my purchase mistakes if I make any. The fact that Pete is "part of the community" AND can run a business is awesome. Sponsoring this board on ImmInst was the smartest thing he could have done - I've purchased probably $800 worth of product in just the past couple of weeks and I would never have known about his biz if it were not for ImmInst.

While I'm at it, iHerb has been great for more "general" things.

Both exceed my expectations as an ecommerce experience (and I'm really picky).

Sorry for the commercial - but people, including me, are typically quick to complain and slow to praise.

#7 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:04 PM

Pete, I have my blood work tested every year, testing over 120 items. I take about 120 pills daily, plus I have a "shake" each day with some 25 ingredients. I'm also 44 years old. All of my measurements are in the "optimal" range, which is much better than being in the "normal" range, or worse, in the abnormal ranges. Triglycerides are 55, cholesterol is 148, with 74 of that being HDL. All of my hormone levels are that of a 30 year old. PSA, homocystein and CRP are rock bottom, on and on. Oxidation is very low, and hydration is high. Metabolism (energy level) is that of an athlete.

There is simply no question that supplements work, along with proper wholesome eating, and strength training.

I've said before, we all have the option to live to 100 (barring a tragic accident) and we can get there in active condition still capable of enjoying life, but because it requires effort and dedication, most will not bother.

#8 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:31 PM

Lifespan is not diet/supplement related that much. Some will live 100 years without ever taking multivit, not to mention anything else. Some will have different illnes and live short even if they take many many supplements.
It depends on too many factors, from genetics, clean enviroment, diet, stress, climate and so on...

But supplements can really enhance the quality of life.

#9 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:16 PM

Well if you are predisposed to developing a certain disease because of your genes then you can do something about it with supplements and diet. Read the article below:

Genes can be 'changed' by foods

What we eat may influence our health by changing specific genes, researchers believe.
Several studies in rodents have shown that nutrients and supplements can change the genetics of animals by switching on or off certain genes.

It is not clear whether foods do the same in humans, but an article in New Scientist says there is good reason to believe they do.

In the future, diseases might be reversed by diet in this way, it says.

You can read the original article here! :

http://www.newscient...=mg18825264.800

Edited by Matt, 17 November 2005 - 10:08 PM.

#10 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:36 PM

pete, to what extent do you attribute the "spin traps" [wis] with your commendable biomarkers? I'm guessing they include PBN and NtHBN. THe other part of the stack is probably your averag joe dosage, what are your doses for the spin traps? And are you familiar with EUK-189?

#11 psychenaut

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

Matt,

Great article, thanks for linking and sharing. Regarding the last part of the article, in approx 2 months we will have available a methylation enhancing product from our friends at AOR. You can view the product information here. Thanks to AOR for keeping the cutting edge sharp.

Karomesis- I can't give you an objective answer, I wish I knew. That is a great area for somebody to do pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic research. I use PBN/NtBHA at ~150mg daily each. I have no idea if that is optimal dosing or not, so please do not follow my footsteps (and it is very expensive). We do not sell it because we like to keep our doors open for business [bl:)]. Not familiar and do not use EUK-189.

Cheers!
Pete

#12 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

Lifespan is not diet/supplement related that much.

I strongly disagree.

Bad diet and no supplements more often than not leads to an earlier death than a good diet and supplements. Does anyone disagree with this statement? I should hope not.

Therefore, it's already clear that diet and supplements makes a difference, simply because health is improved, and good health leads to longer life. Most of the time, people in good health don't die.

Not including the intake of toxins, such as alcohol, cigarettes, heavy metals, etc., death is most often the result of diet, leading to cancer, heart disease or brain dysfunction. Diet and supplements can have a profound positive effect on these three areas. Diet is the main factor in heart disease. And supplements can greatly reduce past heart disease, and keep it reduced going forward. Likewise for cancer and brain dysfunction.

In short, most people prematurely kill themselves. Genetics plays only a very minor role -- diet and toxins (and accidents) are the real cause of death for 99% of us. We love to blame genetics, though, because then we have the perfect cop-out and can tell ourselves, "Well, why put the effort into diet and exercise when genetics will kill me anyway." It's a lie, but it supports our laziness.

BTW, in my original post, I also included exercise. Food, supplements, and exercise are the threesome that, when done well, can get most of us to 100. See you there! (At least, those few that try.)

Scott

Edited by dukenukem, 21 November 2005 - 08:46 PM.

#13 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 19 November 2005 - 12:37 AM

I made a mistake, I meant only supplements, as i mentioned in my same post that lifespan does depend on diet among other things. Guess it's time to get back to nootropics :)

#14 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:09 AM

pete, here is the link on EUK-189 and other SOD/catalase mimetics

http://www.eukarion.com/

#15 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 04:35 AM

http://morelife.org/...ms/EUK-189.html

other good info:

http://morelife.org/researchems/

#16 psychenaut

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:46 PM

Duke- We are on the same wavelength brother. Avoid the toxins as much as reasonably possible, exercise, eat healthy, supplement sensibly and safely. As you point out, the goal is to maximise good health as well as lifespan. Congrats on the great numbers!

Scott and Karo- Good stuff, wish it wasn't a research chemical and I could (legally) offer it to my Customers. The company, Eukarion, I read from it's press releases has associated with The Buck Institute. To me that infers instant credibility (Buck is a first class, bleeding edge institution for anti-aging up in Novato). Don't be surprised if you see some groundbreaking discoveries come out of there.

They offer Tours on Thursday mornings, would anybody be up for getting together for one? If so, email me and I will start a new thread to coordinate it. If you are a fan of design, it would be worth it for the stunning architecture alone.

pete@relentlessimprovement.(removeforspamprotection)com

Pete

#17 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:10 AM

Hm, why are lowered cholesterol values always considered so much better? From what I've seen, cholesterol is something essential to health. It helps heal you. Lowered levels could mean two things...

1. You're healthy, the body isn't sending out as much in LDL packets because it isn't required.
2. You need more, but are unable to produce enough naturally in the liver, and don't receive enough from your diet to make up for it.

#18 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 03:07 AM

thank you for sharing!

I am currently putting together a similar supplement program, so it is great to see. Even though I eat well, I am convinced I need a probiotic like theralac. I also want to throw in nature's way resveratrol.

My limit is $100 a month, and with your list, as well as others on the board, I am confident I can make a great program.

Thanks again.

Edited by cnorwood19, 16 April 2006 - 02:41 PM.

#19 dayfly

• 35 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:11 AM

Pete, your homocysteine levels are really impressive! I'm 25 and my homocysteine levels are almost 15 mm/L.

In your supplement regimen I couldn't find any specific supplement that is supposed to lower homocysteine like the typical combo of B6,B12, folic acid and TMG.
I guess you get enough B vitamins from your diet + the Ortho Core. What supps do you make resonsible for your extraordinary low homocysteine levels?

#20 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:51 PM

Pete, your homocysteine levels are really impressive! I'm 25 and my homocysteine levels are almost 15 mm/L.

In your supplement regimen I couldn't find any specific supplement that is supposed to lower homocysteine like the typical combo of B6,B12, folic acid and TMG.
I guess you get enough B vitamins from your diet + the Ortho Core. What supps do you make resonsible for your extraordinary low homocysteine levels?

He may have better genetics, certainlly- with respect to homocysteine. 15 is not good. There ain't enough B vits in orthocore IMHO, and for sure not enough for you with that homocysteine. Are you taking any B vits?

#21 stellar

• 366 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:16 AM

Double post.

#22 stellar

• 366 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 01:16 AM

I use PBN/NtBHA at ~150mg daily each. I have no idea if that is optimal dosing or not,

Pete, this is a HUGE dose! The doseages I've seen recommended for PBN/NtBHA are 30-70mg per day each.

#23 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:22 PM

Pete,

Thanks for posting the results. I am finding it hard to find your supplement regime though. I have looked on your blog but cannot find it. Would you mind posting the link?

Just a note on your results, whilst suggesting that your supplement regime is the reason why you have such great values with your blood work without some result pre-supplement regime blood results you cannot state that its your supplement regime. Are you on a CR diet?

However, that said, it wouldn't suprise me. It would have been a nice case study to present.

Good work with seizing the moment as well with the crumbling of Steve Sliwas' business here. I noticed that you are now stocking alot of the powders that he does. Great move. ;) I really like youre business ethics as well

#24 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:50 PM

zoolander,

I found it by searching the entery after the date he posted the post, list of dates to the right.

the link is here: http://tinyurl.com/rhtru

#25 psychenaut

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:17 PM

Hi Folks,

I happened to blunder into this thread, sorry but haven't been in the forums for a while now [8)].

Spin traps are taken by different people in widely varying doses. I know a very very smart guy that has been using even more potent traps than PBN and NtBHA at 1000 mg twice daily doses. Other people whose credentials outweigh mine by 10,000:1 use it at the same mg/kg dose as I do. I defer to Bruce Ames 2005 patent and the mg/kg ranges he suggests in it. Anybody can read it on the USTPS database, just do a search. He is in my opinion the undisputed authority in this field of super-potent antioxidants.

My opinion on what is giving me the low HS-CRP and homocysteine is #1. Geronova Mito-GOLD #2. AstaFactor Astaxanthin. Both are very effective anti-inflammatories and it makes sense they would act on measures of systemic inflammation.

Agreed I wish I had a baseline on the CRP and homocystiene, but I don't. Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? There was supposed to be a study released in December on astaxanthin and I can't dig it up. Am not on a CR diet, man I love to eat, and I could never adhere to CR. BUT- I am careful most days of what I eat - I have blogged my diet several times.

Present program as of today:
Ortho-Core
Fish Oil (Omega-3)
Mito-GOLD
R-PLUS
Astaxanthin
CDP-Citicoline
Alpha-GPC
ALCAR
Sulbutiamine (3 weeks on/1 week off)
Oxiracetam
Dual-Action Cruciferous Vegetable Extract with Resveratrol

I would urge people to not copy my program as you might have different goals and needs. And I left out a few things that I just don't feel like getting into a discussion about [!;)]. Don't be mad if you dont see me post to replies, time seems to be a rare commodity for me lately!

Cheers!
Pete

#26 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:34 PM

Pete,

I have sent a recent astaxanthin reveiw paper (2006) to your email

#27 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2006 - 11:44 PM

AgreeAm not on a CR diet, man I love to eat, and I could never adhere to CR. BUT- I am careful most days of what I eat - I have blogged my diet several times.

CR is so easy, you would only have to restrict 10% to see health benifits! which would be very easy!

Edited by Matt, 18 April 2006 - 01:46 AM.

#28 stellar

• 366 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:42 AM

I know a very very smart guy that has been using even more potent traps than PBN and NtBHA at 1000 mg twice daily doses. Other people whose credentials outweigh mine by 10,000:1 use it at the same mg/kg dose as I do. I defer to Bruce Ames 2005 patent and the mg/kg ranges he suggests in it. Anybody can read it on the USTPS database, just do a search. He is in my opinion the undisputed authority in this field of super-potent antioxidants.

Pete, that's fine, I was just relaying information that I had seen posted by Peter H. Proctor, a well respected PhD/MD who posts on sci.life-extension. He has authored papers on free radicals in the early 70's and has numerous patents regarding SOD/Spin Traps for ameliorating a cellular dysfunction from the mid 1980s.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#29 starr

• 79 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 12:18 AM

Nice test values and good topic. I also believe supplementation plays a large role. I'm a big antioxidant consumer among other things.

I too had some bloodwork done recently and I've been trying work on a few things. Some of my results were great and some not so great. The main problem being my hormones. My C Reactive Protein: .11, but that was not HS so I don't know how it compares -- either way, the doctor was certainly impressed with that. Homocysteine was on the high side: 10.4 but I'd been neglecting my B's.

My cholesterol is too low (135, HDL:53, LDL: 75, triglycerides 36) and I don't know how to raise it...at least just the good. I never seem to be able to make enough. It's been low since my teens (but it might have been higher when I was fat, I just never tested). I think that with more cholesterol production my hormone profile would be better. Anyone have suggestions? I eat a fat rich diet with lots of fish, nuts, olive and coconut oil. I'm into vegetables and fruits too.

sponsored ad

• Advert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users