* * * * - 3 votes

Berberine Carcinogenic?

berberine goldenseal metformin

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 docmaas

• 129 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:00 AM

This is a followup thread to the thread here: http://www.longecity...icity-concerns/

I did follow up some of the research on that thread and found that the dosages that resulted in cancer in 2 years fed rats are right in the therapeutic range being consumed by berberine users for a metformin replacement.

I'm not a researcher and don't have any real sense of how meaningful the work was.  However, it was not followed up and I think it should be and using berberine instead of goldenseal.  What follows is a letter I've sent to various researchers and other interested parties.  I've had no response at all which could mean that no one wants to get their hands dirty, that there is something seriously wrong with the research or any other number of reasons.

I think what I've written below is pretty clear and indicative of a real possibility that berberine may be a lot more dangerous that assumed by most who are taking it.  Positive press abounds but these articles and a few others raise significant doubts.  I know I won't be taking it any more.  

I'd like to hear comments especially from those familiar with the types of in vivo studies done by the National Toxicology Project and how meaningful the 20%+ liver carcinoma/adenoma rate is as an indicator that at the very least more research should be done.  

I'd also like to hear suggestions about how to make it happen.  

Here then is the latest version of the letter I've been sending out with links to the research and the salient points.

Dear ______

I would like to call your attention to some in vivo studies done with rats and mice to determine if Goldenseal is a carcinogen.  The work was done by The National Toxicology Program.  They did find goldenseal to be a possible carcinogen.  More importantly their research and subsequent research strongly suggest that the alkaloid berberine is the most likely cause of cancer found in 2 year old rats.  

Of even more significance is the fact that the rat dose where the cancer occurred when converted to a human equivalent dose (8.8mg/kg) is right in the range of what many diabetics are taking in lieu of Metformin.  If the research is truly indicative of the carcinogenicity of berberine we may be facing a significant rate of liver cancer in T2D sufferers.  

I have called the attention of several doctors and alternative health practitioners to these findings by posting on their blogs and writing to their contact addresses  but have received no response positive or negative.  I wrote to the corresponding author, Dr. June Dunnick at the NTP and she suggested requesting a trial at the NTP/NIH website which I intend to do.  

What I would really like is to find a lab willing to undertake a 2 year study of berberine preferably with short term to full term sacrifices of the experimental animals to assess progress of tissue changes, if indeed there are any, and hopefully using rats with human tissue to eliminate as much doubt as possible.  Any help or suggestions from you as to how to go about making this happen or resources would be highly appreciated.

Here is a summary of what I have found:

In the 2010/2011 timeframe a long term 2 year rat/mouse study was undertaken by the National Toxicology Program at NIH. They ran 2 week, 3 month and 2 year studies. Liver cell hypertrophy was found in both the 2 week and 3 month trials but the 2 year trials showed even more significant damage.

In the two year study male rats fed 25,000 ppm of goldenseal powder ad libitum showed a 20+% incidence of liver hepatocellular adenoma or carcinoma. This was the most significant effect. The concentration of berberine in the goldenseal powder was 3.9% by weight. When all the calculations of converting the amounts taken daily by the rats to a human equivalent dose are done it turns out that the rats with the 20% rate of carcinoma/adenoma were consuming the equivalent of a 100 kg human consuming @880mg/day of berberine. 

Interestingly there was no carcinoma in the female rats and only 2 with hepatocellular adenoma.

Jumping from goldenseal powder to berberine as the culprit is a big jump but reading the paper you will see that the researchers, even though avoiding saying it was definitively berberine that was the cause, did talk a lot about berberine in the discussion.

That first paper is here:http://tpx.sagepub.com/content/39/2/398.long

Subsequent to the paper and motivated by it a second in vitro study was done to try to ascertain how that cancer in the rats might have been caused. In that study the researchers examined 5 alkaloids from goldenseal and found two that were active. Both were topoisomerase I and II interruptors and the researchers felt that this may have been the cause of the cancer in the first experiment. One of those alkaloids palmatine was of much lower concentration and somewhat weaker than that of berberine.

That paper is here:http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378427413008412

As I said the NTP of the NIH actually ran 3 different trials. A paper containing all the work is here:

http://ntp.niehs.nih..._rpts/tr562.pdf (190 pp)

There is a summary of the long report immediately above here:

http://ntp.niehs.nih...r562/index.html

Here are my dosage calculations taken from a forum post:

The weight to weight mg/kg ratio is designed to eliminate the need to take into account the individual weight of the differing subjects. When the number of 54.6 mg/kg (from the research) is cited it means that the animal is consuming his own weight * that amount in berberine as a constituent of the total Goldenseal added to the diet which is 3.9% of the total Goldenseal. If the rat weighed 1kg it would have consumed 54.6mg if it weighed 0.1 kg it would have consumed 0.1 * 54.6mg or 05.46mg.

Now let’s move to humans. If we had a 1 kg human being they would consume exactly the same as a 1 kg rat or 54.6mg. If we had a 100kg human they would consume 100*54.6mg or 5460mg.

However, because animals have different consumption rates depending on volume:weight ratios experimenters adjust dosages according to those ratios. For rat:human that ratio is 6.2:1 meaning a rat has to consume 6.2 times as much as a human per kg of weight to get the same effect from a drug. Therefore to get the human EQUIVALENT dose the rat dose is divided by 6.2. 5460mg/6.2 = 880mg or slightly less than 2 500mg caps for a 100kg human. 100kg=220pounds.

Clearly this dose of 880mg is well within what is considered “therapeutic” by the manufacturers and consumers of berberine.

• Well Written x 2
  • WellResearched x 2
  • like x 2
  • Informative x 1

#2 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:18 AM

I've often heard of rats being referred to as cancer factories since they usually get it. What is so unusual about them getting cancer over 2 years which is about the average lifespan of a mouse or rat? And how do we know it wasn't the goldenseal that played a role if they did have a higher rate than usual of cancer? I would caution taking too much from this limited study. We all have seen studies that seemed to show something significant  and subsequent studies show the opposite or little to no effect. 

If the study was using pure berberine, it would have more significance yet still not be very conclusive without follow up studies to confirm it. The blurring between the other components of goldenseal and berberine makes the study weak to the point of being nearly meaningless IMO. 

• unsure x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:45 AM

Here is the conclusion from a very comprehensive review article (https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5478780/) on berberine toxicity and its potential relationship to many types of diseases including cancer:

Results in animal and in vitro studies have proved the potential of berberine to induce GI upset and ulceration, immunotoxicity, phototoxicity, neurotoxicity and cardiotoxicity in a dose dependent manner (Figure 4). Besides, there are controversial data in using berberine and its derivative during pregnancy, so the use of them should be cautioned in pregnancy and neonatal. Berberine by inhibiting adenine nucleotide translocase, promoting ROS formation, apoptosis and necrosis pathways induces its toxicity on both normal and cancer cell in a time and concentration dependent manner. Finally, the inhibitory effects of berberine on CYP enzymes should be mentioned which could evoke indirect toxicity. This interaction is important in co-administration with narrow therapeutic index drugs which may increase the drug plasma concentration and toxicity.

It does cause double strand DNA breaks, but this seems to be beneficial in cancer: every type of cancer tumor studied was inhibited by berberine.

Due to its toxicity, I would tend to think of berberine more as a supplement to treat specific conditions on a short to medium-term basis rather than something to add to a permanent daily dosing schedule.

• unsure x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#4 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 January 2020 - 12:17 AM

With berberine there are tradeoffs. Normal supplement doses likely are too weak to make these effects apparent, but

according to my notes at sufficient concentration berberine is a topoisomerase type II poison and a telomerase inhibitor.

Topoisomerase inhibitors prevent the proper transcription of DNA and can cause tendons to weaken and break.

Short telomeres cause DNA to be damaged during cell division which can lead to cancer and death*

I believe telomeres are designed to produce eventual death by getting short.   It's hypothesized that aging is evolved to ensure survival of the species through genetic diversity--nature loves genetic diversity and up to a point doesn't care how many defects and deaths it produces as long as it has enough successes.

Edited by RWhigham, 13 January 2020 - 12:17 AM.

• unsure x 1
  • Needs references x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#5 sedentary

• 155 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 03:32 AM

i apologize if i insult people by saying this to them, but why would you not just use metformin which is extremely cheap (natural source too), proven effective over decades of research into safety. with only from what i have found out, rare case of acidosis. compared to berberine, which is not approved for dietetics in any country, but except the streets of india where they are into using herbs for treating serious disease. actually most places i have visited in the 3rd world recommend herbs for threating serious diseases, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, you name it!  so anyway, FDA has absolutely no regulation on it and it has never been official proven effective or permitted for use as anti diabetic drug not just in US, but even India, as i said, only on the streets its accepted. SO no offense, but can someone who is choosing berberine over metformin explain to me please? again, not trying to pick on berberine or insult anyone who has their reasons over metformin, just please explain it to me, thanks.

personally i have used berberine in the past with horrible results and when i talked about it, not sure if it was here or other forums, i was picked on and slammed to the ground. i was told i probably didnt use it correctly or something. anyway, i develop such severe stomach cramps and yellow diarrhea and pain, it was a nightmare. but im afraid to talk against it now because i was bullied last time i did. i just wanted to mention it now, hopefuly i dont have the same bullies on my case. i just dont trust berberine, at all. NO OFFENSE, and please, if you are going to bully me, send me msg ill delete what i said.

Edited by sedentary, 13 January 2020 - 03:37 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 3
  • Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#6 Oakman

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:29 PM

SO no offense, but can someone who is choosing berberine over metformin explain to me please? again, not trying to pick on berberine or insult anyone who has their reasons over metformin, just please explain it to me, thanks.

'Cause you need a physician to prescribe it.

• Good Point x 2
  • Cheerful x 1

#7 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:43 PM

Also sensitivities are an individual thing. For example in my case I had to endure gastrointestinal distress for many month till I tolerated humble amounts of metformin. Also it markedly increased need of vitamin B9 + 12 for me. Along with higher need of CoQ10.

While absolutely no side-effects on a humble dose of berberine for me.

Therefore the opposition to your stance might be less related to your unique experience, but in naively assuming it to apply to everyone.

#8 escape

• 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:30 PM

With berberine there are tradeoffs. Normal supplement doses likely are too weak to make these effects apparent, but

according to my notes at sufficient concentration berberine is a topoisomerase type II poison and a telomerase inhibitor.

It may not be as simplistic as this. Berberine may only inhibit telomerase in cancer cells, and could be a telomerase activator in normal cells. This is apparently the case with Silymarin.

"The treatment of the K562 human leukemia cell line with silymarin resulted in a significant inhibition of telomerase activity [31]. In Yurtcu et al.’s study, combination of silymarin and doxorubicin and silymarin alone inhibited telomerase activity in HepG2 hepatocellular carcinoma cell line [32]. But silymarin may activate the telomerase in noncancerous cells according to the results of Parzonko et al. In this study, silymarin increased telomerase activity in endothelial progenitor cells [33]. "

https://www.intechop...ical-importance

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/20838231

There has been very much research in Berberine as therapeutic treatment for cancer due to its inhibition of telomerase in cancer cells, however I can't find much research on its effect on telomerase in normal cells.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5795965/

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4742130/

Anybody have any leads on berberine telomerase activation/inhibition in normal cells? 

escape

• WellResearched x 2
  • unsure x 1
  • Informative x 1

#9 osris

• 531 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 04:24 AM

"The study mentioned in the first post does not indicate that berberine is carcinogenic. The study discusses the development of strategies to prevent and treat cancer, and it explores the potential benefits of berberine in this context. Berberine, a natural compound derived from plants like Coptis chinensis and Hydrastis canadensis, has traditionally been used to treat bacterial diarrhea [1]. Recent studies have shown that berberine can reduce lipid levels, glycemic index, and potentially exert beneficial effects in cancer prevention and treatment." (ChatGPT)

• unsure x 1

#10 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 June 2023 - 01:37 AM

Uhhhh you can essentially buy a prescription. Metformin has its drawbacks too.

Uhhhh you can essentially buy a prescription. Metformin has its drawbacks too.
  • unsure x 1

#11 Joyce

• 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 01:41 PM

While there have been concerns raised about the potential carcinogenic effects of berberine, particularly in high doses or long-term use, current research does not conclusively support this claim. In fact, many studies have demonstrated the opposite, highlighting berberine's anti-cancer properties and ability to inhibit tumor growth. In doses as low as 250 mg, berberine in Nutraharmony's berberine complex, with a few other ingredients, helps to support healthy energy production, metabolism, cardiovascular wellness and overall vitality.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 Gal220

• 1,047 posts

Posted 21 April 2024 - 10:05 PM

This one website claims milk thistle will prevent the possible DNA damage(Good idea to take anyway for liver/kidney health)

https://nootropicsexpert.com/berberine

based on this research

https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/21300790/

Also concerning is how berberine works

"The gastrointestinal side effect of malabsorption is likely the primary reason why berberine lowers post-meal blood sugar; the herb is not absorbed, and acts within the gut to cause malabsorption of glucose and potentially other important nutrients"

I would personally opt for another product or combo of these

https://www.iherb.co...75-tablets/1439

https://www.iherb.co...ggie-caps/75987

https://www.iherb.co...120-tablets/197

Bread and potatoes are the hidden sugar in most peoples diet.  Ketchup/BBQ sauce also high in sugar

Walking after meals helps

Ideally your fasting sugar should be in the low 80s, otherwise you are keeping your body in a state of inflammation

https://www.lifeexte...glucose-control

Edited by Gal220, 21 April 2024 - 10:11 PM.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: berberine, goldenseal, metformin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users