- - - - -

First post, advice wanted on nootropics

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boily

• 171 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 01:15 AM

Hello,

My name is Ben Boyton, I'm from Sydney in Australia. I've been reading a few of the forum on ImmInst.org, and have found them most interesting. I have a common interest as I'm looking for ways to increase effectiveness/brainpower/learning etc! I'm 30 years old, weigh about 178 pounds, fairly lean and very fit. I work as a self employed landscaper(physical) and also ride bicycle 1/2 hour plus each day. In the past I have been super fit due to bicycle racing where I would train up to 25 hours a week in the saddle. But that's in the past as now I'm married with a baby!
The last 8 or so years I have been termed a "pill popper", mostly just common antioxidants like vitamin C, zinc etc. I mostly eat very healthy food and don't drink any alcohol, use caffeine or smoke. I have been doing a bit of research lately and have added a few different brain enhancing supplements into my "pill popping"

I'm after some advice on what I'm actually taking, should I drop any items? Add any items? Increase or reduce any items dosage? Anything clash with other items? Also what would be the best timing to take these supplements? My goal is excellant health, brilliant creative working brain and to live to 100 years old! Any advice much appreciated, please forgive my newness to the subject, I'm learning very fast though!

I swallow the AM pills at 7AM with water after food.
The PM supplements at 9PM with protein shake(45g WPI 90%, with 5g L-glutamine) after food.

AM:

Vitamin C - 1g
Swisse Men Multivitamin
Calcium Supplement 550mg
6 Fish Oil Capsules (each one 180mg EPA, 120mg DHA) - 1.08g EPA, 720mg DHA
Alpha Lipoic Acid 300mg
Acetyl L Carnitine 500mg
Ginkgo Biloba 40mg extract
Pyritnol 250mg
Sillymarin 80% 250mg
Procaine 125mg
Bioperine 5mg
Picamilon 50mg-100mg (roughly from bulk powder)

Ocassional B12 sublingual(1000mcg B12, with biotin, folic acid, B6)

PM:
Vitamin C - 1g
Vitamin E -500mg
Calcium Supplement 550mg
6 Fish Oil Capsules (each one 180mg EPA, 120mg DHA) - 1.08g EPA, 720mg DHA
Alpha Lipoic Acid 300mg
Acetyl L Carnitine 500mg
Zinc complex 25mg

I have only recently added the Pyritnol, Sillymarin, Procaine, Bioperine and Picamilon. My focus does seem a lot better now. Overall I have no problems and feel very good. But always looking to improve! Maybe you guys could help out?

Thanks Ben

#2 gcurrie

• 86 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:56 AM

Suggestion - take the alcar and ala before eating (30 minutes). I believe they're better metabolized that way.

If you're looking for more mental focus, pyritinol is good, but look into the racetams as well. Piracetam is the most studied and the cheapest. It's a great place to start. Some people prefer other racetams, or a mixture. It appears to be highly individualized in response. I think pyritinol and the racetams are a solid combo.

With any racetam, a choline source will help. Alpha GPC and CDP choline are two forms that seem to work well for most. Too much racetam and you may run low on choline.

Huperzine-A can be helpful for memory.

Finally, for me at least, vinpocetine just clicks. It is a selective cerebral vasodilator. Well studied and extremely safe. Of all the nootropic-type supplements, this is my desert island pick.

The silymarin is not a nootropic to my knowledge, but it reputedly helps your liver. Maybe good on occasion, but I'm not sure why it would be good daily (unless you think you have liver issues).

Picamilon is a nice supplement. I find it nice on occasion to mellow out while still staying alert. Again, I wouldn't take it all the time (but I don't have a GABA deficiency).

You should check out the discussion on ALA and r-ALA. There is a lot of evidence that ALA isn't effective in the mixed isomer form.

If you really want to explore, you should check out the thread on Life Mirage's regimen. It's a good reference stack from someone who has studied many of these substances extensively. Not that you want to COPY it (you shouldn't) but its a good place to learn what's available and why you might want to consider it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 boily

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 November 2005 - 02:56 AM

Gordon,

Thanks for taking the time to reply! A very thoughtful answer, you have a lot more knowledge than me. I'll be reading the threads you suggested, thanks again! ;)

Ben

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 boily

• Topic Starter
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:28 AM

Wow!!! What a great website! I've got some reading to do!!!! Ben

PS Any advice would be welcomed, so much info, sometimes conflicting! Well, if I've a specific question I can just post it..... Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users