Photo
- - - - -

9 year olds and Nootropics

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 thehawk

• 15 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:10 AM

Hello everyone my 9 year old nephew is having trouble in school right now,hes very sharp really,but his mind tends to wonder.His vocabulary is amazing, but math is another thing.His concentration is short term,and i was wondering if Nootropics would be oK for a child so young.I was wanting to try the formula "Get Smart" myself and wanted to know if it or any other Nootropis could maybe help him.Please any Info. would be great, the kid is so sharp with words no one would guess he has trouble with school. Thank You Very Much, TheHawk

#2 exigentsky

• 262 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:58 AM

I think most nootropics would be OK for 9 year olds. But of course, in lower doses and with close monitoring because I suspect that not as much research has been focused on nootropics in children.

You may want to look into Pyritinol for your nephew. Life Mirage wrote that Pyritinol was successfully used in children.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Cyto

• 1,096 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:05 AM

Personally, I strongly recommend against this.

#4 oilfieldpilot

• 67 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 02:37 PM

You should check the studies done at The Monroe Institute with children and hemisync technology! Pretty impresssive stuties and results.
Best of all...nooooo drugs.

I agree with Bates.
A developing brain is just that...and it is a very delicate balance. adding chemical scan easily shut down the brains own natural production and lead to problems later in life.
There is INsufficient info on the developments of the brian, etc. Period!
But that's not what the drug companies want you to hear...

You kid isn't challenged...get him tested for his abilities, get him out of our worthless schools and into a program for the gifted!

good luck!

#5 kevink

• 184 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:01 PM

Nobody should EVER be giving children anything that has not been extensively tested and approved for children. The comments about "developing" are true and the biology of a child is NOT the biology of an adult. [ang] Even the big guys don't make a children's multi much over the minimum configuration.

Besides that - I think there's a simple answer to your question. Look up the recent English Omega 3 studies done on 300-400 children. You'll see that EPA (NOT DHA) made poor concentration kids get much much better and even well performing kids also increased in ability.

Just make sure to get a really clean Fish Oil with a high EPA to DHA ratio, so you'll have to do your homework on that one. To get you started:
AOR's EPA Brite

or maybe this cheaper one

Omega 3 Mood

I believe the numbers coming out now are saying to double the fish oil dose for a certain length of time and then drop down to the normal dose. I believe the dosage calculations are the same for Adults and Children over 5 - but look it up yourself to be sure.

Also make sure you keep the kid away from heavy metals like in Flu shots (toxic Mercury, long story) or in the kid's environment. Have him hair or blood tested for exposure just to be sure.

If I'm wrong, someone feel free to correct me.

#6 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:10 PM

Fish oil will do just fine, I don't think anyone should be giving 9 year olds nootropics.

There are plenty of stuidies showing how affected fish oil is!

Heres one of them: Oil pills boost pupil brain power

http://news.bbc.co.u...and/4511759.stm

I wish my parents would of gave me fish oil when i was a kid :(

#7 bossplaya

• 37 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:00 AM

As kevink said,

Nobody should EVER be giving children anything that has not been extensively tested and approved for children.

What is disturbing is that so many children are being given Ritalin and Adderall (which is basically a pharmaceutical grade cocktail of speed), who are diagnosed with so-called ADD/ADHD. When in fact -- the manufacturers OWN statement on their packaging insert for the drug says:

Sufficient data on safety and efficacy of long-term use of Ritalin in children are not yet available.

Yet millions of children are being given this stuff! I think there is something seriously wrong with that. I've done an extensive research project for university on this topic, and I may post up the essay online for anyone who may want to know the facts.

As a side note, I have been trying the Get Smart formula in combination with Piracetam and Phenibut, and it kicks ass!

I know most people are strongly recommending against giving this child the Get Smart formula (or any nootropics for that matter), but I do think it would be safer than any of the ADD drugs that may end up being prescribed to the kid. The fish oil sounds like a viable alterrnative, as does the Hemisync.

Edited by bossplaya, 14 November 2005 - 02:33 AM.

#8 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:43 PM

A molecularly distilled pharmaceutical grade fish oil. The brain does not develop its potential without omega 3 fatty acids.

Also, eliminate as much refined sugar out of his diet as possible.

#9 thehawk

• Topic Starter
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:59 PM

Thank you everyone who helped with the info. it is great to see people willing to take the time to help.I think I will look into the fish oils, any suggestions on a good supplier.I do think i'll give the Get Smart formula a try myself.I think the kid is on the gifted side more so then the needing help end of it,but im his uncle.He my be the president some day the way he can talk anyone into anything,LOL.Thanks again everyone i will use the info, wisely. TheHawk

#10 hiredavidrnow

• 51 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:51 AM

You should check the studies done at The Monroe Institute with children and hemisync technology! Pretty impresssive stuties and results.
Best of all...nooooo drugs.

I agree with Bates.
A developing brain is just that...and it is a very delicate balance. adding chemical scan easily shut down the brains own natural production and lead to problems later in life.
There is INsufficient info on the developments of the brian, etc. Period!
But that's not what the drug companies want you to hear...

You kid isn't challenged...get him tested for his abilities, get him out of our worthless schools and into a program for the gifted!

good luck!

WAIT... [:o]

Even better, Get him tested using a Hair and urine sample by a naturopath for Heavy Metal Toxicity. He might be reacting to the various shots that he was given that contain Mercury. These vaccination shots are known to contain high levels of Thimerasol which causes Austim Spectrum disorders.

I would very much highly recommend that you get this testing done, so you can rule this out in your childs life.

I wish ya the best!

David

#11 timmusi

• 14 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:46 PM

I've been giving my 6 year old and 4 year old Coromega fish oil. Since they lack the ability to
swallow pills and won't take liquid fish oil consistanly, I have found this to be a great alternative
since it comes in packets and is paste like. The 6 year old likes the original orange flavor and the 4 year
likes the new orange with a hint of chocolate flavor. They both willingly take one a day.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:40 AM

Coromega looks good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users