• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Do you consider weight when determining dosage?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:57 PM

It seems to me that most people pay little mind to weight when determing appropriate dosage for supplements and drugs. I am inclined to think that weight is an important consideration, otherwise why would so many studies specify dosage in a mg/kg format? Am I wrong here? Most guidelines I've read for dosages of various supplements take a one-size-fits-all approach with no mention of weight.

Perhaps for the average ~150lb or 70kg person, this question is irrelevant. However, I am 6'6" 200lbs, and my girlfriend is 5'0" and 95lbs. The bulk of available dosing advice and guidelines would have us consuming the same quantities of everything. In my opinion, this doesn't make any sense.

If weight IS an important factor, how should dosages be adjusted for it? Should I take 12 Ortho-Core instead of 9? Should the gf only take 6? Are there some drugs/supplements that should be dosed the same regardless of weight? Inquiring minds want to know :)

#2 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:33 PM

Most of the nootropics are not weight dependant at all. Our brains are mostly the same size.
When studies are done on rats they have to calculate mg/kg because you can't really compare mouse/human vs. small human/big human :)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:35 PM

That is assuming all of the ingested nootropic goes to your brain and doesnt get distributed evenly around your body. Anyone have a definitive answer?

And what about vitamins and minerals?

#4 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 06:15 AM

I'm assuming that weight does make a difference for vitamins and minerals. Other factors being equal, you would consume more nutrients that your girlfriend simply because you (likely) eat more food.

#5 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:03 AM

This has been a GLARING inconsistancy with the FDA's RDA for vitamins, not to mention every book on nutrition I've ever read.

If no one else is doing it, I would like to construct a method of calculation for the ideal nutritional supplementation.

Weight would be one of many factors. To be honest, I think blood tests every now and then to monitor your current levels would actually be useful.

Height also makes a differences, as well as bone density, bone size, the health of various organs... it's actually a lot to deal with.

Perhaps a method of telling when you have less than ideal levels of a certain nutrient, or excessive levels, and then it can be continually readjusted.

One's nutritional requirements change every single day, and age and varying health conditions will alter these requirements. This must be recognized.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:26 AM

This has been a GLARING inconsistancy with the FDA's RDA for vitamins, not to mention every book on nutrition I've ever read.

I think you have forgotten to read the part in the small print that says "This RDA is the amount for a 2000 calorie diet." The RDA of vitamins is not related to your size, but rather, it is a ratio related to the amount of food you eat. Hence, if your daily diet is 4000 calories then you need to double the RDA. Why that is true is an execise for the student. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users