Photo
- - - - -

Opinions sought on "phytosome" herbal process

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:16 AM

Some time ago I purchased some "phytosome" brand milk thistle extract. Apparently the silymarin has been bound to choline for better bioavailability. There are not that many studies on PubMed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....4374&query_hl=1
Suggests phytosomed silymarin is better absorbed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....0198&query_hl=1
Shows phytosome ginkgo to be better absorbed.

Any thoughts?

#2 alexoverhere

• 55 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:08 PM

i was just looking around for a milk thistle product and in the process found some literature on silybin-phosphatidylcholine vs. silybin vs. silymarin, etc. There are huge differences in terms of plasma silybin (absorption) and liver protection for phytosome vs. non-phytosome silybin in rat models and/or health humans (see http://www.thorne.co...xt/10/3/193.pdf for a review). i bought a silybin-PC product although i read that silymarin phytosome is roughly equivalent at 150mg compared to 120mg of the former. (Both are much more effective than milk thistle alone, which is not very bioavailable).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:23 PM

Milk thristle in raw powder form is so cheap that I dont really bother about these more bioavailable forms. When I can take 2 grams (and I dont) for the price of 150mg ;)

#4 alexoverhere

• 55 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:28 AM

well you probably should be taking almost a gram of non-phytosome silymarin if you want to get the equivalent of 150mg phytosome silybin.

#5 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:37 AM

Hey Alex: know what TLC is? I'd like to see the pattern from each plant. I bet there are several different plant variants of silymarin.

I'd like to see the HPLC pattern of silymarin. I was on the bus going to class and I saw this young woman reading about Thin Layer Chromatography - TLC. I aked her about it and she said one could perform this test in the palm of their hand. I thought I would know already, and tried to pretend I knew what I was talking about. She explained it pretty well. Now I want to change majors maybe to chemistry...

Peace out.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 May 2006 - 03:30 PM

well you probably should be taking almost a gram of non-phytosome silymarin if you want to get the equivalent of 150mg phytosome silybin.

I am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users