- - - - -

new study identifies only 6 compounds extending life out of 37

anti aging life extending

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 mrkosh1

• 232 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 01:25 AM

A doctor who performed a procedure to remove a nodule from my neck one time told me that I never would have a need to take aspirin for heart health, because my blood was already thin. I do indeed clot, but I bleed easier than the average person and for longer. Otherwise, I'd start on an aspirin regimen -- it's super cheap.

#32 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 01:56 AM

But in addition to preventing clotting, and thus reducing the risk of certain kinds of heart attacks and strokes, aspirin reduces inflammation.  Inflammation is implicated in many diseases of aging, So low dose aspirin may have beneficial effects beyond preventing heart attack and stroke, which could explain possible life extending effects.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 mrkosh1

• 232 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:49 AM

What the doctor warned me about was if I were to take aspirin and get into a serious accident that I could end up in a serious situation. Is there a dose of aspirin that would provide me with inflammation protection without thinning my blood to any significant further extent?

#34 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2016 - 10:59 AM

Aspirin, even 83 mg baby aspirin, causes ireversible COX inhibition.

20 minutes in the body, and aspirin is deacetylated to salicylate. It's salicylate that has the bulk of effects over time on inflammation and AMPK.

Those who must take very high doses of salicylate (rhumatoid arthritis, experimentally diabetes) take the prescription drug salsalate. I'm cheap and take ~1g Mg salicylate available as OTC back pain medication.

#35 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:02 AM

What the doctor warned me about was if I were to take aspirin and get into a serious accident that I could end up in a serious situation. Is there a dose of aspirin that would provide me with inflammation protection without thinning my blood to any significant further extent?

I have the same question. Not life threatening bleeding for me, but persitent bleeding at times from even the 83 mg doses. Had to discontinue it.

#36 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:01 AM

Well it might depend on the dose,  High dose chronic aspirin can supposedly lead to kidney injury and can also require vitamin k supplementation to avoid adversely affecting clotting ability.  So if it requires a high dose we'd need to find what the highest safe dose is, and if it requires pairing with another protective compound to be used at effective doses....

Aspirin can definitely lead to bleeding problems.  This can not be corrected with vitamin K.  While a vitamin K deficiency can cause a clotting failure, an excess of vitamin K will not make you clot more than normal.  Even at baby aspirin doses, aspirin causes bleeding problems in a lot of people.  I had to stop using it because it caused subcutaneous bleeds from very minor injuries.  I don't know if there is a "sweet spot" dose where you get the cardiovascular benefit without the clotting problems-- You could titrate the dose downward until the bleeding stopped, but I don't know how you would know if you were getting the cardiovascular effect or not.  It might be the case that the effect hinges on the modified clotting behavior, in which case you wouldn't be able to get one without the other.

• Informative x 2

#37 normalizing

• Topic Starter
  • 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:43 AM

^ doesnt vitamin c and aspirin combo help against bleeding?

#38 Mike C

• 84 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:32 PM

The best approach it would seem to me would be to look at family history. Early strokes etc., but even that is dicey if your diet/supplement/lifestyle regimin is completely different than what your family members did.

Edited by Mike C, 13 November 2016 - 03:33 PM.

#39 limerence

• 56 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:41 AM

I think stuff like astrallagus can increase lifespan by killing infection, at best. Same with many herbs. Though using a few antibiotic/parasitic herbs, would probably be exponential better than one herb.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  • Ill informed x 1

#40 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:04 PM

Well it might depend on the dose,  High dose chronic aspirin can supposedly lead to kidney injury and can also require vitamin k supplementation to avoid adversely affecting clotting ability.  So if it requires a high dose we'd need to find what the highest safe dose is, and if it requires pairing with another protective compound to be used at effective doses....

Aspirin can definitely lead to bleeding problems.  This can not be corrected with vitamin K.  While a vitamin K deficiency can cause a clotting failure, an excess of vitamin K will not make you clot more than normal.  Even at baby aspirin doses, aspirin causes bleeding problems in a lot of people.  I had to stop using it because it caused subcutaneous bleeds from very minor injuries.  I don't know if there is a "sweet spot" dose where you get the cardiovascular benefit without the clotting problems-- You could titrate the dose downward until the bleeding stopped, but I don't know how you would know if you were getting the cardiovascular effect or not.  It might be the case that the effect hinges on the modified clotting behavior, in which case you wouldn't be able to get one without the other. 

I took aspirin when I was 18 and got a massive nosebleed. I actually had to take cocaine to make it stop (no joke). 

Since then in my 20s I take Swanson 2g willow bark, quite a bit (standardised 15% salicin) with no problems whatsoever. 

• Informative x 1

#41 Skyguy2005

• 291 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:09 PM

almost anything increase yeast lifespan.. 

...except for the 31/37 compounds that were not amongst the 6 compounds that increase yeast lifespan... 

• Good Point x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#42 normalizing

• Topic Starter
  • 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:26 AM

its likely anything that bothers yeast in one way or another likely helps it also adapt and prolongs its life. of course in moderation, im pretty sure the substances that increased its lifespan in large amounts enough would kill it

#43 Tom Andre F. (ex shinobi)

• 423 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:50 PM

almost anything increase yeast lifespan.. 

...except for the 31/37 compounds that were not amongst the 6 compounds that increase yeast lifespan... 

ahah you right skyguy... And I apologies for that because the funny thing is after that I started to look deeper into this herb and Im literally a fan of it. Especially since I truly believe that aging is mainly driven by the inflammation process. I now sell it after long research as the exact one used in this study including solvant used though my website https://www.dynveo.com/

This is especially important knowing that its highly probable that others molecules played a roled into its effect for the lifespan increase (https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/17704985 : salicin + polyphenols + flavonoids = available when the polarity mixture solvant is reached, you concentrate into certain molecules classes)

Willow bark is safer than aspirin : https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25997859

and has a different mechanism of action: https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/21226125

its also one of the best ever anti inflammatory tested as it target in a really strong way TNFa : https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/22711544 or

• WellResearched x 1

#44 normalizing

• Topic Starter
  • 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:58 AM

tom, thanks for the studies and all that but you are not the first person to advertise willow bark as safer more natural alternative to aspirin. thing is, ive been taking aspirin for headaches and it did work, how come willow bark didnt do the same for me even at higher doses compared to low dose aspirin?

• Good Point x 1

#45 Tom Andre F. (ex shinobi)

• 423 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:40 PM

tom, thanks for the studies and all that but you are not the first person to advertise willow bark as safer more natural alternative to aspirin. thing is, ive been taking aspirin for headaches and it did work, how come willow bark didnt do the same for me even at higher doses compared to low dose aspirin?

Hi Hazy,

I personally dont recomend willow bark as an alternative to aspirin. I just point to the anti aging study done about willow bark and mention that the result obtained is probably not due only to its salicin content and that its safer than aspirin if you want to use for the anti aging purpose. Thats all

• Agree x 1

#46 albedo

• 2,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:36 PM

Here's a database of lifespan studies:  http://lifespandb.sageweb.org/

There are a number of compounds that increase lifespan in mammals.  (e.g. rapamycin)  It's pretty easy to fool yourself, however, if there are defects in animal husbandry that are killing your control group while the compound provides some type of protection against whatever is wrong with the husbandry.  Michael has posted on this a lot.

The best work seems to be done under the NIA's ITP.  There's a list of published paper that might be useful.

Impressive data base. Thanks. Also, it looks there are additional compounds to the 6 in a new round of tests:

http://www.longevity...testing-program

Sorry if this is already old news.

• Informative x 1

#47 mrkosh1

• 232 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:50 PM

I sure wish they would have tested sulforaphane. My guess is that it would have performed well.

• unsure x 1

#48 albedo

• 2,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

The curated Geroprotectors data base might also be a useful resource to check compounds and literature: http://geroprotectors.org/

You can also see the motivation behind establishing this data base here:

Moskalev A, Chernyagina E, De magalhães JP, et al. Geroprotectors.org: a new, structured and curated database of current therapeutic interventions in aging and age-related disease. Aging (Albany NY). 2015;7(9):616-28.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#49 normalizing

• Topic Starter
  • 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:26 AM

albedo, what should one look for in geroprotector database in meaning of actually working best at extending lifespan as i dont understand the meaning of mean lifespan, medium and max and how they correlate to each other

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#50 albedo

• 2,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:06 PM

Hazy, there is lot on these definitions on the web at different technical levels in statistics. https://www.fightaging.org/ provides resources specifically for aging research (1). Many sites on gerontology and caloric restriction (CR) do the same. FighAging.org quotes the Ben Best’s site, a known researcher in the area, who explains the difference between maximum lifespan and mean lifespan. “When discussing aging it is important to distinguish two points on survival curves. Mean lifespan (average lifespan) corresponds to the age at which the horizontal line for 50% survival intersects the survival curve. Maximum lifespan corresponds to the age at which the survival curves touch the age-axis (0% survival) — and this represents the age at which the oldest known member of the species has died. (In animal studies, maximum lifespan is typically taken to be the mean lifespan of the most long-lived 10%.)” (2). Mean (or average) is not to be confused with median, the latter usually being the middle number in an ordered sequence and is better than mean when the distribution is skewed (think about the example of average income which can be much skewed by rich people while for the rest or mortals it is maybe better to using the median). You also find life expectancy, which I think is the mean number of future years to live in a survival prospect. In any case Geroprotectors.org is curated and based on PubMed searches for “…keywords relevant to pharmacological interventions in aging. Effects on lifespan and experimental conditions (e.g. age, gender, nutrient medium, model organism) were then retrieved. Lifespan parameters included average, median, and maximum lifespan and reduced mortality…” so you need to refer to the specific papers reported in the data base to check the precise definition of what authors are actually measuring. I have little time to find more but if you or someone expert in this area finds a good and short resource I would be interested.

https://www.fightaging.org/resources/

http://www.benbest.c...eext/aging.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users