• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Housekeeping: thread "Stem Cell Research"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the thread "Stem Cell Research" be restructured as suggested below? (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the thread "Stem Cell Research" be restructured as suggested below?

1. yes (4 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

2. no (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. maybe- see comment below (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. don't know (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 06:31 PM

[>] STEM CELL RESEARCH, creating embryos for research

This thread has run a quite a while. It might have left the initial poll question (which was an ethical question maybe as much as a scientific one) rather early on, but thanks to some excellent contributions from Lazarus Long and in particular from XxDoubleHelixX many valuable material on stem cells has been assembled. However, the thread as it stands has become slightly convoluted in its scope. I am currently thinking about breaking this topic off into separate side-topics as following:
1) Stem cells- basics
2) Stem cells- research news
3) Stem cells- politics and ethics

and further
- biodesign shops (eg. the contributions made on January 15th)
- specific mutation C150T transition (Feb 13)
- catcher (chat that was uplifting and fun at the time but need not be preserved forever)

Tell me what you think and if anyone would like to become the "keeper" of the potential new threads.

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 06:40 PM

I'll take 'Stem cells- politics and ethics', as I'm working on ImmInst's official statement to this reguard to be posted in the 'Official Statement' Archive Forum.

(This will be a good test of the 'split forum' feature)

#3 Cyto

• 1,096 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 09:29 PM

I'll do the research part. Happy and thankful to do it.

This would also give me a bigger reason to keep to do a sort of overview, as much as I can.

And I do agree 100% with the change.
Would help me stay on topic, heh.

Edited by XxDoubleHelixX, 18 February 2003 - 12:16 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 15 February 2003 - 02:56 AM

I spun off a "politics discussion" early on and I think the thread is just dormant. I also concur that the topic deserves division. I think Genetics in general does however and Stem Cells as well as Telomeres have the same ambiguity though less political polemic. But Cloning on the other hand is all of the above again and sort of overlaps Stem Cells.

That all said I still basically agree with the outline proposed.

#5 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 04:31 PM

I do not expect many more votes on the topic, so I guess the proposal have been accepted.

Do I take it then, that BJ will moderate
"Stem Cells - Politics & Ethics"
and HelixX
"Stem Cells - Research News"
?
If no one else is up for it, I'll do "Stem Cells- Basics" (a rather short topic anyhow)

Can I ask the Moderators-to-be to write an initial post, starting their new topic and outlining the basics lines along which the they want to conduct the topic (if any) ?
I will then shove the old posts related to your topic into their new thread.

#6 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 17 February 2003 - 04:40 PM

I don't mind moderating Politics and Ethics as well as BJ if he is too busy for it and I wuold suggest a "Basics and Advanced" Section rather than just basics.

Why not go forward to actually comparing notes on theoretical options, directions of research and the results that some of you are getting in the laboratory BEFORE the work is formally published?

There now you have my two cents added to the treasury. [ggg]

#7 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 04:48 PM

Laz, I really appreciate that.. I'm starting to get behind in my basic forum function duties, namely fixing some of the tech issues. Plus, I'm working on another article for betterhumans.

Yes, if you'd like, please moderate the topic concerning stem cells and politics/ethics. lol

#8 Cyto

• 1,096 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 05:40 PM

Can we (or just me) have a before-word to the intro, at little thing to sort of kick it off then lay down the rules/guidlines?

Edited by XxDoubleHelixX, 17 February 2003 - 05:42 PM.

#9 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 11:05 PM

Lazarus Long:
Ok Laz, you are drafted! ;))
Glad you are in.
If you want to compare theories, we could certanly do that. But maybe just kick it off, whenever you feel ready. I don't think anyone here is actually working with human stem cells just now? (Mondey will be soon if all goes well)
As to the "Advanced" I better leave that to :

XxDoubleHelixX
Can we (or just me) have a before-word to the intro, at little thing to sort of kick it off then lay down the rules/guidlines?

Certainly- Its your baby now. Have as many before-words, intros and after-intros as you need to do your excellent deed!

#10 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 12:33 PM

HelixX

I have moved the research related posts into your new thread.
Just for reference, this was done
1) by first moving the relevant posts into a new topic [Stem Cell Research News (old)]
2) merging the two topics
3) copying your first post in the new topic into the body of the chonologically first post.

Regrettably there is no option to merge single posts, nor is there a possibility to put posts in other than cronological order.

I hope this is how you want it. The other option would be, to separate the old posts out again, and leave them as a locked ressource.
You might also want to consider reformating the old research news sligthly.

#11 Cyto

• 1,096 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 05:38 PM

Will do. Give me some time though to bring the other posts, that you put in the new thread, up to date and such.

Thanks

Edited by XxDoubleHelixX, 18 February 2003 - 05:55 PM.

#12 Cyto

• 1,096 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 06:28 PM

And Cali, do you think we can merge some topics later on so clutter is reduced? In other words: so there are just X ammount of topics on the first page and only have the first page. I doubt many people can see there is more then just one page of threads in Bio & Gen. Something we can consider, to add structure if you will.

#13 caliban

• Topic Starter
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 07:01 PM

And Cali, do you think we can merge some topics later on so clutter is reduced?

This is a bit off-toipc ;)) but yes, I have been thinking about that.
The way I see it though, this is the responibility of the topic starter. If s/he wants to merge, great!
Otherwise, we will have to accept that some topics are redundant, inactive or repetitive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users