- - - - -

Immortality seems directly linked with cancer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spiritus

• 71 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 04:32 AM

To me, that is.

From what reading I've done on the subject, not extensive or minimal to say... they seemed linked.

If the Cure for C is found first, infinite or extreamly extended lifespans will come directly after, or vice versa.

A -Small- example at how they are linked, quote from Scientific American "ES {embroytic} stem cells cannot be used in stem cell therapy, unlike adult stem cells, because they cause cancer."

Or if we look at the cancer cell itself. Normal cells can only multiply a certain number of times, cancer breaks this rule. The cells keep deviding to form tumours. Something ... free radicals, radiation etc causes this 'damage' to a certain cell, damaging the genes and wrecking the rules of multiplication.

Immortality is gonna rely on genetic engineering essentially. The tools for trying to cure cancer and adding or knocking out genes to achieve immortality are the same if not similar.

My bet is their advent will occur within 3 years or less of each other.

What do you think, or how did I go wrong? [lol]

#2 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:42 AM

Well there seems to be plenty of other things that go wrong over time. Are you familiar with SENS? It addresses more aspects of immediate, erm, aging aspects lethal in the range of say 50 to 100 years elapsed life. There is a lot of controversial discussion to be found in here.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 spiritus

• Topic Starter
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:55 AM

I'm slightly familiar with SENS. I have really only been dedicating time to researching about this topic recently - however I will spend hours reading topics relating to biology in any form, so I'll have most of this down soon.

There's a lot of lethal things that can hit you in 50-100, I agree. And I'm not trying to say the cure for immort. will cause cancer. My general point to this thread is that they seem closly linked - if one cell can infinitely replocate itself then finding out what makes that exactly happen and how to stop - or better, control it, will lead to both the cure to cancer and mean a big deal for immortalists.

I really envision immortality coming shortly just after the cure for cancer which should be here within the next decade. Their's shit tons of funding towards cancer, maybe like 300~ mill a year to age reversal labs. When they master the techniques to eliminate cancer, this technology will aid our cause and in fact probally lead to the soloutions we require.

I think I will enjoy my stay here... such an interesting topic and an ultimate goal.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#4 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:18 PM

I agree with your prediction that "cures", i.e. close to 100% effective treatments for all cancers and the cure for aging may come shortly after each other. Aging and age-related diseases such as cancer are more like a single thing than like independent targets.
But if and when we can cure them, this will be much further in the future than "the next decade".

I think cancer therapy is going to benefit a lot from what we're trying to develop as aging therapies (cell replacement, some other aspects of SENS), but neither aging nor "true" cancer therapies will benefit a lot from most of the technology used in contemporary cancer therapies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users