• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Should I take Resveratrol with Elysium Basis?

niagen elysium basis resveratrol

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brighty

• 28 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:19 PM

I have recently started taking Elysium Basis. I am thinking about adding 500mg of Resveratrol (maybe x500 from Revgenetics) to my daily regimen. Does taking Resveratrol in addition to Elysium Basis give me additional benefit? I realized that Elysium Basis already has about 50mg of Pterostilbene, which is chemically very similar to Resveratrol.

I am a 35 years old male of East Asian ancestry. I have not taken any antiaging supplement prior to taking Elysium Basis.

Thanks, 

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:09 PM

Pterostilbene as found in Elysium basis has many of the save effects as resveratrol, so it may be overkill to take it additionally to Elysium.

On the other hand, no one has really studied it specifically.  It may be that taken NR, one of the two ingredients in Elysium, with resveratrol, works as well as Elysium. 

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:57 AM

Well, the founder of Elysium, Leonard Guarante, said last year that he was taking 250 mg of resveratrol along with Basis (50mg of pterostilbine in that). I started taking 100mg of pterostilbine but no resveartrol or NR for now, thinking that might be similar to taking 400mg of resveratrol. That is just based on pterostilbine being about four to five times as bioavailable as resveratrol, which may not be the right way to look at it.

Guarente has said that he thinks there is a possibility that pterostilbene has positive synergistic with NR. He may be sort of hedging by adding the 250 mg of resveratrol. 

• Informative x 2

#4 brighty

• Topic Starter
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

Well, the founder of Elysium, Leonard Guarante, said last year that he was taking 250 mg of resveratrol along with Basis (50mg of pterostilbine in that). I started taking 100mg of pterostilbine but no resveartrol or NR for now, thinking that might be similar to taking 400mg of resveratrol. That is just based on pterostilbine being about four to five times as bioavailable as resveratrol, which may not be the right way to look at it.

Guarente has said that he thinks there is a possibility that pterostilbene has positive synergistic with NR. He may be sort of hedging by adding the 250 mg of resveratrol. 

I also read that Leonard Guarante takes 250 mg of resveratrol along with Basis in one of the articles. That's actually the reason why I am thinking about adding resveratrol to my regimen. But I just want to understand whether there are any scientific reasons behind this.

Are there any synergies between resveratrol and pterostilbene? Is there anything that resveratrol does but pterostilbene cannot do?

• Informative x 1

#5 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:46 PM

I'm not sure, but it is possible that since Guarente is the founder of the company that is selling NR with pterostilbene, he wants to start with his own product. Yet he may want more resveratrol / pterostilbene, and it looks better to say when asked that he also takes 250 mg of resveratrol. If he took another 50 mg of pterostilbene instead, people would want to know why he didn't just add that to Elysium Basis. 

That would bring Guarente to 500 mg of "equivalent" resveratrol, whereas Sinclair says he takes 1000 mg of resveratrol a day. Guarante's dose is also consistent with Sinclair's statement that you need hundreds of mg of resveratrol a day to have an effect.    

• Informative x 1

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:24 PM

Are there any synergies between resveratrol and pterostilbene? Is there anything that resveratrol does but pterostilbene cannot do?

Resveratrol activates Sirt1, Sirt4 and Sirt 5... I haven't seen Pterostilbene do all that.

A

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: niagen, elysium basis, resveratrol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users