Need advice on medication change!

cpsd depression

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Nystagmus

• 8 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:33 AM

Hi all,

I'm dx with CTSD plus Depression exacerbated by primary condition (the CPTSD), or so my Psych, GP keeps on telling me.

This has been going on for several years, and is making life, not just for me but my immediate family too hellish. I've tried, and I mean really tried, not given up in a few days, virtually every SSRI, there is available (via NHS UK), none helped, and some gave me a hypomanic side effect. Tried 1 SNRI (Venlafaxine), to no beneficial effect.

My Psych currently has me on Mirtazepam 45mg Nocte'. I titrated up the dosage slowly and have now been on it for 6 months. It helps my sleep (even my Wife's farts don't wake me now) and has greatly diminished my hypervigalance and sudden rages. But it still leaves me feeling doped up, groggy and zombie like (without the lust to eat human flesh) for the entire day.

On Thursday I'm off to see my GP and I'm going to tell her I need to come off it and what I need from you, my fellow forum members, is advice on an alternative drug regimen (unfortunately UK, NHS are usually limited by choice and only very rarely will px off label.
I've heard of a newish drug available in the UK called Vortioxtine (Brintellix) supposedly has multimodal activity profile (whatever that means) is anxiolytic and has no effect on cognition and may possibly improve it. Any idea if this would be better than Mirtazapine, any personal experiences?

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated as I feel my options are now limited so that great but elusive "hope" is evaporating.

BTW. I've had all the talking treatments: Group, one to one, CBT, Mindfulness and EMDR

BTW,(2) I fairly organically healthy, small dose of Perindopril for essential Hypertension. Recent bloods all good, thyroid and test included.

PLEASE HELP!

Edited by Nystagmus, 21 June 2016 - 08:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users