• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How Much Vitamin C Do You Take?

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

Poll: How Many Grams of C Do You Take? (188 member(s) have cast votes)

How Many Grams of C Do You Take?

1. No Supplemental C (23 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. 1 - 500mg (31 votes [16.85%])

Percentage of vote: 16.85%

3. 500 - 1000mg (35 votes [19.02%])

Percentage of vote: 19.02%

4. 1001 - 2000mg (27 votes [14.67%])

Percentage of vote: 14.67%

5. 2001 - 3000mg (21 votes [11.41%])

Percentage of vote: 11.41%

6. 3001 - 4000mg (21 votes [11.41%])

Percentage of vote: 11.41%

7. 4001 - 5000mg (8 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

8. 5001 - 10,000mg (11 votes [5.98%])

Percentage of vote: 5.98%

9. 10,000+mg (7 votes [3.80%])

Percentage of vote: 3.80%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 04:20 AM

I'm wondering how much vitamin C everyone takes. Please vote for how much total supplementary C you take on a typical day, including multivitamins and excluding food as there is no sure way to tell. If you currently don't take C then vote for the amount you would take if you could (unless of course you choose to take none, in which case vote for "No Supplemental C").

BTW, 1000mg = 1 gram, just to be clear.

#2 Pablo M

• Topic Starter
  • 636 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 04:26 AM

I'll start. I voted for "2001-3000mg." On a typical day I take 500mg of ascorbic acid at least 4 times per day. I was taking calcium ascorbate, but I read somewhere that the form of calcium used in the ascorbate is carbonate, which is an antacid (Tums uses calcium carbonate). Also the Vitamin C Foundation states that the mineral ascorbate forms only have 1 extra electron per molecule while ascorbic acid has 2, making them half as effective as a free radical killer. And of course Linus Pauling favored ascorbic acid, so there we go.

I think there is good reason to take more than the RDA.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 04:51 AM

I take anywhere from 4-6 grams of Vitamin C per day. I mix it up and take calcium ascorbate, ascorbic acid, and ascorbyl palmitate.

#4 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 04:52 AM

Hah???

"I think there is good reason to take more than the RDA."

Agreed

2-3g

Edited by scottl, 15 December 2005 - 12:50 AM.

#5 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 05:12 PM

#6 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 14 December 2005 - 05:49 PM

i voted 500-1000 but from nov to feb i up this up to around 2gr a day

#7 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 06:12 PM

isolated, supplemental:
2-3 g/day

fresh grapefruit squeeze
2-4 cups AM/PM

fresh lemon squeeze
4-8 oz AM/PM

pasteurized orange juice
up to about 4 cups (32 oz) a day

sometimes I fail to commit drinking lemon and grapefruit at night. No problems in the morning, though.

All these, 500-1000 mg at a time, every four hours

#8 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:28 PM

10-12 grams daily. I use a lot of the acid-free calcium ascorbate which I mix into my drinks all day long, so that all day I'm getting a steady intake. Then at night I take two time-released 1g pills. This doesn't count the vit. C I get from foods, which is probably another 500-1000mg or so.

I've totally bought into Bill Sardi's vitamin C arguments, plus there's simply too much research showing the vit. C removes plaque and kills rogue cancer cells. In fact, intravenous vitamin C is showing stunning results versus late stage cancer, maintaining 10-12 grams of vit. C in the body during each daily treatment (not possible taking vit. C orally) with zero side effects.

#9 haveblue

• 66 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:32 PM

I take 4-5 grams, capsule form of regular ascorbic acid, plus what I get in my multi and diet.

Everyone should check out http://www.cforyourself.com and http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/

#10 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:12 AM

500 to 1000. I may start taking it two times a day in the future. It's something I hadn't thought about in a while.

#11 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 01:43 AM

10-12 grams daily.

boy does that increase iron absorption!?! so you take IP-6? You take 2g all at once at night? Doesn't the body only use 1000 mg max of C at any given time?

#12 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:00 AM

Doesn't the body only use 1000 mg max of C at any given time?

I thought that number was closer to 250-350mg. That's why some of use time released Vitamin C supplements.

#13 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:09 AM

Doesn't the body only use 1000 mg max of C at any given time?

I thought that number was closer to 250-350mg. That's why some of use time released Vitamin C supplements.

Ah so there the time released variants come to the picture, then.

#14 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:15 AM

plus there's simply too much research showing the vit. C removes plaque and kills rogue cancer cells.

Do you also supplement on Beta-Lapachol / Lapachon and Beta 1,3/1,6 1,4 Glucans?

#15 Pablo M

• Topic Starter
  • 636 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:39 AM

10-12 grams daily.

boy does that increase iron absorption!?! so you take IP-6? You take 2g all at once at night? Doesn't the body only use 1000 mg max of C at any given time?

Apparently high doses of C have been used even in cases where the patient has iron overload with no side effects. Re your second point, the amount absorbed is 80-90% of a 180mg dose, 75% of 1 gram, 50% of 1.5g, 26% of 6g and 16% of 12g, according to Hickey and Roberts. I've been reading their book, Ascorbate: The Science of Vitamin C, and it is truly outstanding. The RDA is woefully inadequate. I'm seriously considering upping my dosage again.

Anyone know if time release formulas actually work? Natural Factors has one and they're claiming 8 hour release: http://us.naturalfac...mode=cat&cat=20 (scroll down to "C 1000mg Time Release"). If that worked that would be so cool.

#16 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:38 AM

I used to take about 500mg. Now I seem to not take supplemental vit C ...

-Infernity

#17 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:21 PM

for thsoe not taking it please state why you are doing so
only monetary reasons are accepted :-)

#18 chris_h

• 71 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 01:02 PM

I do not take any. I currently only supplement with fish oil.

I will not be convinced that vitamins are beneficial for life-extension until the maximum lifespan of the vitamin addicts surpasses the maximum lifespan of those who have never taken them.

Today, it seems that vitamins can, at most, only increase one's probability of reaching their natural maximum lifespan. I will be convinced otherwise as soon as some one makes it to 140 by taking vitamins.

I have tried various supplements, but I always either felt poorer with them than without, or not noticed any difference at all.

#19 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2005 - 01:32 PM

I do not take any.  I currently only supplement with fish oil.

I will not be convinced that vitamins are beneficial for life-extension until the maximum lifespan of the vitamin addicts surpasses the maximum lifespan of those who have never taken them.

Today, it seems that vitamins can, at most, only increase one's probability of reaching their natural maximum lifespan.  I will be convinced otherwise as soon as some one makes it to 140 by taking vitamins.

I have tried various supplements, but I always either felt poorer with them than without, or not noticed any difference at all.

your logic is flawed... ensuring edaquite vitamin intake is one of the most important things you can do to ensure a long and disease free life. vitamins are just that, vital... if you lack just a little of one, there are countless systems in the body that begin to function below their peak... which in the long run shortens lifespan and makes you more prone to disease.

if you felt worse, chances are you were taking cheap supplements. as for feeling nothing, in most cases your not gonna feel any difference with vitamins unless you have a severe deficiancy.

#20 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:21 PM

I do not take any.  I currently only supplement with fish oil.

Not only is ajnast4r correct, but it is possible you are harming yourself by taking fish oil (a good idea) and not taking any supplemental vit E (see other discussions for proper form but suffice to say you want mixed tocopherols where the bottle states how much of each you're getting).

#21 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:57 PM

Since C has such a short lifespan in the body, I try to maintain an intake throughout the day, as I said by using a tasteless acid-free powder form that I add to my drinks. I've read that C can be built up within the body over time by taking it steadily over time, to higher levels than just taking one megadose once or twice a day (much of which goes to waste).

Chris_h, all you are doing is screwing yourself. Your ignorance may be costing you 10+ healthy years on you life, maybe more.

And for those who asked, yes, I do take IP-6 and beta glucans.

#22 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:08 PM

slight OT, what beta glucans do you take? why is it connected to Vit C?

#23 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:24 PM

Don't know why beta glucans are vit. C, that was someone elses post, but I get mine from oatmeal and various mushroom extracts.

#24 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:28 PM

beta glucans.

may i know from which source (Baker's yeast, mushroom, or even oats?) and linkage? or if you could share the brand it'd be nice too

#25 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:37 PM

why is it connected to Vit C?

only tat when duke pointed out about C killing rogue cancer cells. beta glucans, in high amounts for individuals with weak immunity ativates inactive antibodies besides acting as an anti aging supplement

#26 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:29 AM

3001 - 4000mg myself

several different mixed forms

#27 chris_h

• 71 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 01:15 AM

your logic is flawed... ensuring edaquite vitamin intake is one of the most important things you can do to ensure a long and disease free life. vitamins are just that, vital... if you lack just a little of one, there are countless systems in the body that begin to function below their peak... which in the long run shortens lifespan and makes you more prone to disease.

if you felt worse, chances are you were taking cheap supplements. as for feeling nothing, in most cases your not gonna feel any difference with vitamins unless you have a severe deficiancy.

No, I just think that I can maintain adequate levels through diet.

I know that I am getting well above the RDA of vitamin C through citrus fruits, brocolli, etc. I get plenty of vitamin A through carrots, and I try to eat almonds and a few other things for the E.

How many long term studies have been done on mega-dosing vitamins? I would not be suprised if taking 10 g per day was harmful if continued for 100 years (I am only 20).

I think vitamins might be more useful in the short term (such as when you are sick), because over the long term the body eventually equilibrates to the dosing. Just as exercising (oxidation) is somehow supposed to increase anti-oxident levels, it is not unreasonable to conjecture that taking excess anti-oxidants could decrease the stimulation of one's natural defense mechanisms.

#28 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:11 AM

your logic is flawed... ensuring edaquite vitamin intake is one of the most important things you can do to ensure a long and disease free life. vitamins are just that, vital... if you lack just a little of one, there are countless systems in the body that begin to function below their peak... which in the long run shortens lifespan and makes you more prone to disease. if you felt worse, chances are you were taking cheap supplements. as for feeling nothing, in most cases your not gonna feel any difference with vitamins unless you have a severe deficiancy.

No, I just think that I can maintain adequate levels through diet. I know that I am getting well above the RDA of vitamin C through citrus fruits, brocolli, etc.

How much is your "well above" RDA?

I get plenty of vitamin A through carrots, and I try to eat almonds and a few other things for the E.

That's beta-carotene and not all are even converted to A. What if you got your liver all messed up? How many pieces of carrots do you take?

I would not be suprised if taking 10 g per day was harmful if continued for 100 years (I am only 20).

I am 20 and your present C intake is too little. How much citrus do you drink? 14 big oranges and grapefruit are not even adequate, albeit a practical option, for a day's dose to reach 2 grams. Personally, 10g is too much for me. Consider increasing yours to get 2-4 g daily.

#29 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:37 AM

I currently take a total of 7.5 grams daily of powdered vitamin C in 5 divided
doses and 1 gram of powdered ascorbyl palmitate (fat-soluble C) in 3 divided
doses.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:47 AM

No, I just think that I can maintain adequate levels through diet.

I know that I am getting well above the RDA of vitamin C through citrus fruits, brocolli, etc.  I get plenty of vitamin A through carrots, and I try to eat almonds and a few other things for the E.

How many long term studies have been done on mega-dosing vitamins?  I would not be suprised if taking 10 g per day was harmful if continued for 100 years (I am only 20).

I think vitamins might be more useful in the short term (such as when you are sick), because over the long term the body eventually equilibrates to the dosing.  Just as exercising (oxidation) is somehow supposed to increase anti-oxident levels, it is not unreasonable to conjecture that taking excess anti-oxidants could decrease the stimulation of one's natural defense mechanisms.

i personally am not a fan of MEGADOSING on a daily basis... i dont think its a good idea in most cases. but dont kid yourself...unless you are eating totally organic and nearly all raw, there is NO WAY your maintaining adaquate levels of vitamins on a daily basis. besides... the RDA is the bare minimum required to avoid a nutritional deficiancy, not the amount needed to operate at your peak (which is always well above the RDA)... the RDA is old, flawed science and has nothing to do with what a modern day person needs to obtain optimally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users