Photo
- - - - -

Mucuna Pruriens?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:09 PM

Just ordered 1 KG of this stuff, any recommendation on how i should use it and does anyone else have a personal experience they would like to share?

Take 69 grams a day, in one large dose in the morning. That will get you tweaked.
  • dislike x 1

#32 rsnuk

• 64 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:39 AM

Any particular reason for this? lol?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:02 AM

Any particular reason for this? lol?

It was a bad joke. I can't see any reason for you taking them though.
  • dislike x 1

#34 rsnuk

• 64 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:44 AM

Lower PRL levels, increase growth hormone levels and enhance dopamineric function...

Mucuna not safe?

What other option do i have lol?

Atleast it's a non-sythetic natural herb-derived amine precursor, is there anything safer and more effective?

#35 jackj

• 62 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 03:11 AM

While I do come off as a Mucuna advocate I would suggest if you are 17 you shouldn't be experimenting with natural/legal drugs, least of all this one because the long term studies are very limited. People say they've used it in India for ages, who can verify this?

Sure everyone is different and I don't know you but you're still maturing, I'd suggest you speak to doctor (if you think you have problems) if you haven't already.

btw. I'm late 20's and while I don't know much I know I understand mood/emotion much more than I did at 17 :)

And yes, diet and exercise are number one. If you are looking for a buzz or want to bulk up an easy way then its not good, heard of Dyskinesia? You have to be very careful.

Plus there are reports around saying +30 is the age where it most effective so perhaps you will get no effect at all.

Good luck.

#36 jtay

• 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:28 PM

I've compared Mucuna supplements over the last several months because of pure curiosity about how L-Dopa affects me. Also, I've started exercising and playing basketball, so psychomotor stimulation seemed useful.

So far I've tried Himalaya USA since that's the only brand that Iherb had. It didn't seem to have an effect at 200-600mg, it's expensive, and its L-Dopa content is unstandardized.
    Next I tried NutraceuticsRX Mucuna sourced from American Nutrition because it was the cheapest high L-Dopa preparation I could find. It has 250mg of extract standardized to 40% L-Dopa. The only effects I got were occassional twitches on major muscle groups, which I thought was amusing, and a general feeling of malaise. The only good effect seemed to be that I tore it up playing basketball on 750mg of this stuff (300mg L-Dopa). I felt like I had more endurance to make very jerky, abrupt movements. Unfortunately, I got no psychoactive effects on this.
    Finally, I just got and tried a Mucuna extract by America's Finest with only 15% L-Dopa per 400mg capsule. And I wanted to see if that may be a more ideal preparation for experiencing psychoactive effects since I knew that mucuna had a great variety of psychoactive chemicals in it's various parts besides L-Dopa. It's the cheapest preparation on a mg/$$ ratio I could find from the retailer Doctor's Trust.

This extract seems to be sleep enhancing and more mood stabilizing than anything else I've ever tried. It prevents high levels of caffeine from making me agitated or irritable. I was not expecting this level of effectiveness at 2.4grams (360mg L-Dopa, 6 capsules). Oh, and it rapidly eradicated the slightly irritable, spacey feeling i get when coming off of Kratom.  I have no idea why this may be. For all I know this supplier's extract may contain a much greater proportion of the unique mucunoid alkaloids or the tryptamines than other extracts. But based on my experience I recommend  people interested in Mucuna try a few grams of extracts with modest amounts of L-Dopa or else several grams of bulk powder. If the Himalaya USA product were a few times cheaper it would be a good candidate for bulk powder. If anyone can find a source for cheap bulk seed\leaf powder do let me know.

The only Mucuna Pruriens product backed by scientific studies is known here in the USA as HP-200:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm....Pubmed_RVDocSum

HP-200 is sold under the name of Zandopa in India and both HP-200 and Zandopa are made by a very reputable company in India named Zandu Pharmaceuticals:

http://www.zanduayurveda.com/

You can purchase real Zandopa (HP-200) from:

http://mall.coimbato...ndu/zandopa.htm

Zandopa is the exact same product as HP-200 and I have already confirmed this fact with Zandu. Also, I have confirmed that the distributor above is a authorized distributor and is selling the real Zandu, Zandopa, product although Zandu is not happy about it. The reason is Zandopa only costs around US $1 for 175 grams of powder in India and Zandu plans on selling the HP-200 product here in the States at a considerable mark-up once the FDA approves HP-200 for treatment of Parkinson's (now under consideration). However, Zandu can't stop distributors from exporting the zandopa product as they can just buy it off of the shelf at any medicine shop in India and export it accordingly as Mucuna Pruriens (MP) requires no prescription.

Anyway, Zandopa is the cheapest and purest form of MP and the only MP product that I'm aware of backed by scientific studies. However, you may be interested in knowing that Zandopa (HP-200) only has about 3.5% L-dopa and that scientific studies confirm that not only the L-dop has healing properties but to a large extent the other attributes of MP have a positive healing effect on Parkinson's as evidenced by the success of Zandopa (HP-200) with only 3.4% L-dopa. FYI: 7.5grams (7,500mg) of Zandopa (HP-200) powder is standardized to contain 250mg L-dopa. When switching from formulations containing L-dopa and Carbidopa combination calculate the dose as follows:

1 tablet of 100mg L-Dopa + 10mg Carbidopa = 2 x 7.5g of Zandopa (HP-200)

1 tablet of 250mg L-Dopa + 25mg Carbidopa = 4 x 7.5g of Zandopa (HP-200)

Be aware that there are many US distributors selling this Zandopa product for exorbitant prices to take advantage of Parkinson's patients (as much as $200 per 175g). Although the distributor in India (see link above) has the best price and is the best company of which I have found to order the product they too are still making a killing buying around US $1 per 175grams and selling for US$10-12 per 175grams. Still the same, it is a good price as compared to other products here in the USA and a good distributor, therefore, this product, IMO, is worthy of trying.

Hope this helps,

Jtay

#37 jtay

• 4 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:38 PM

PS: On the flip side, if someone is looking for a higher percentage of L-Dopa extract, the highest I have been able to find is Herbal Powers which is 60% L-dopa extract. However, if you have Parkinson's you would be well advised to stick with the Zandopa (HP-200) product as it has been used for centuries in India for curing Parkinson's and has scientific studies proving its effectiveness and now is being used successfully by many Parkinson's patients around the world with much success. Also, the Herbal Powers product to my knowledge has no 3rd party confirmation as to the validity of their claims as most supplements don't which is the problem/risk you take when trying such products:

http://www.herbal-po...r120ca10o1.html

#38 quicksilver

• 98 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:17 PM

Pure L-DOPA 250-500 mg is great pre workout supplement.

#39 luv2increase

• 2,529 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:41 PM

has been used for centuries in India for curing Parkinson's

I'm sure that the word 'cure' was just a typo. You do mean 'prolong the inevitable', right?
  • dislike x 1

#40 jtay

• 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 12:11 AM

has been used for centuries in India for curing Parkinson's

I'm sure that the word 'cure' was just a typo. You do mean 'prolong the inevitable', right?

Actually, it was a typo, I meant to say, treating, in lieu of "cure". We all hope for a cure someday, but for now HP-200 (Zandopa) will have to suffice.

Thanks for pointing that out.

#41 greentooth

• 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:25 PM

I had tried mucuna 7-8 months back for entirely diff reason. that was for Libido enhansment. had good result in 8-10 days but stopped because i had not done any research and thought that it was testosterone. that was himalaya healthcare. not heard about Zendopa then. goint to try Zendopa/ HP-200 for the same reason. i think i saw it available on ebay for 9.9. Actually using it for libido makes sense as dopamine is the "father" of Lust.

#42 Procastinator

• 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:05 PM

Is Mucuna Pruriens Safe?

I am from INDIA. I dont know abt elsewhere but in INDIA it is considered as safe antioxidant and its found in many ayurvedic medicines and in brain tonic. They used extracts as per ancient ayurveda extraction system. One of my frnd has once used HP200 (ZANDOPA the same mucuna seed powder used in western clinical studies forlethargy and fatigue conditiona with very good result. Actually here we use nt more than 150 mg ldopai in serving per day. Means max 4 gram hp200 which has 4% ldopa.

Edited by chrono, 20 October 2010 - 08:32 AM.
trimmed quote

#43 weekend

• 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

It depends how potent Ldopa you are using.If you are getting extract , you will need only 50-1000mg per serving

Edited by Brainbox, 05 October 2011 - 02:34 PM.

#44 aghonia

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

up:

very interested on this. Does anyone reported news about the neurotoxicity of Macuna?

#45 aghonia

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

I am going to buy some Brento Forte and Zandopa from Ebay

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#46 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 02:08 AM

I bet the natural L-dopa in mucuna is closer to what we normally convert tyrosine in to, and there for more suitable for our nerve system than the synthesized variant.

l-dopa = l-dopa.

The difference would be due to other compounds which also occur in Mucuna, either as their own activity or as this activity occurs in combination with l-dopa. It's not that surprising that this would happen: consider how plants end up synthesizing certain substances. They typically 'branch' toward them, making a bunch of things with similar structures at the same time. Similar structures, so they tend to fit into human neurobiology in related ways. So you have something else which interacts with dopamine neurochemistry in another way, or multiple molecules.

Edited by graatch, 01 March 2019 - 02:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users