#neuroscience #mentalhealth #childhood #happiness #brainchemistry

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Neurogenisisis

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:38 PM

Hi there,

Now, this can sound a little weird, but please read this and help me to figure out what kind of feeling I am refering to, as this is in my adulthood completely gone.

I remember I had a often occuring feeling, when I was younger, a feeling which is pretty hard to define. I can at the most describe it as expactancy or great comfort, but also as if there were something mysterious in the air. Something, something. Like as if you were in a fairy tale or in a kingdom or some other fantazy world. You could feel the presence, but at the same time feel it like you were at the seventh gate. An atmosphere-feeling. The feeling changed depending on smell, location and people. Best and closest described is if it was christmas joy.

This feeling of "fantazy" is today completely gone. Last time I felt it was when I was 15, and it went away as fast as I had a 2 weeks period of a stomach flu that completely destroyed my health for a year's time. I went down to anorexic level and couldn't eat because of later discovered ulcher.

I have since repaired from that and have a healthy weight and nutritious diet. Nothing unusual to report, besides I can't feel real feelings since 15 year back. I am 30 year now.

I don't know if this is anhedonia, but my emotional range is so small. I can feel excitment from hard thumping music or doing something thrilling, but I can't feel joy by life itself. Just sitting and waiting can either make me completely bored or just complete nothingness. I constantly need hardcore music, sugar or laugh just to feel anything! I get easily frustrated and angry, but I try to wait it out. I am a very aggressive person in delicate things in life and I have trouble feeling fear or nervousness. This is not how I want my life to be and there's big wish to go back to the state of childhood clarity.

Where did childhood happiness go?
  • like x 1

#2 SFX

• Guest No Response
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:03 PM

Good question. Have the same. Age or anhedonia, hard to say. I'd love to know a wise answer.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Neurogenisisis

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:08 PM

Glad I am not alone. Let's find an answer and fix this. Waiting for further replies.

#4 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:19 PM

It's still there within. Split off below consciousness for protecting us from its vulnerability. Now a none-lit place like in a shadow and deep as many abysses at once. It's for the brave to rediscover, along with it's oceans of pains and joys.

However as the saying goes: Ask, and you'll be given. :)

Edited by pamojja, 15 July 2016 - 07:39 PM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#5 Neurogenisisis

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:55 PM

How do I open the consciousness if I might ask?

#6 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:08 PM

We are all different, so there are different approaches. An empowering therapeutic relationship or dedicated meditation are examples. I could be wrong, but where all these methods seem to meet as a beginning is the relationship to feelings in this body now (leaving conceptions aside, for short moments).

• Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

#7 Neurogenisisis

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:12 PM

I would like to be open to meditation/spiritualism, but to be honest, I am unsure this is actually the total answer.

#8 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:21 PM

I would like to be open to meditation/spiritualism, but to be honest, I am unsure this is actually the total answer.

The total answer can only be in the experiencing it yourself.

In my case even something like 10 days of trekking alone in wilderness would bring it back. But the dept possible with prolonged meditation is a different thing altogether.

As I said, everyone starts from a different place.

#9 farware

• 131 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:26 PM

As a child all experiences you make are new and fresh .. as you grow older chances are that you have a good understanding of the world your character is in and is now accustomed to. You still learn new things every day but considerably less than when you were a child so I guess you are also creating a lot less neural networks as an adult and rather improve the existing networks. 

Edit: After reading your other comments I also think you would benefit from taking a closer look at what depression can do to you. I'm turning 29 this year and as you described I also had this incredibly small range of emotions for years. I couldnt show any emotions or feel grateful or joy for a long time. Now that I'm on Tianeptine which is used for major depressive disorder and other related diseases some of that is returning. On some good days I feel joy again, not like when I was younger but a completely new level that I forgot was even there. Its subtle but better than this feeling of "emptiness". I dont know about you but in order to feel euphoric I also need to do something engaging but thats particular hard when you're feeling down / depressed. Maybe talking about it with someone would help? If not, spend a few weeks on research. I'd also suggest a genetic test from 23andme.com if you can afford it (its 100 bucks) to see if you have some genetic issues that could contribute to problems. 

If you dont want to take anything too serious you could try taking P5P, its the coenzyme form of the vitamin B6 and can be used by your body directly - it will help with neurogenesis and general neurotransmitter production. Sometimes people get deficient for various reasons e.g. stress, malnutrition, etc and then get some form of anhedonia. 

Edited by farware, 15 July 2016 - 08:42 PM.

#10 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:51 PM

You still learn new things every day but considerably less than when you were a child so I guess you are also creating a lot less neural networks as an adult and rather improve the existing networks.

As an adult one has to keep up learning intellectual things all the times. Emotional intelligence, like children naturally exhibit, or mediators intentionally develop, are different kind of networks:

The underlying anatomical correlates of long-term meditation: Larger hippocampal and frontal volumes of gray matter

...Thus, larger volumes in these regions might account for meditators' singular abilities and habits to cultivate positive emotions, retain emotional stability, and engage in mindful behavior.

Edited by pamojja, 15 July 2016 - 09:03 PM.

#11 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:55 PM

Of course, the shortcut to childlike awe are hallucinogenics. Which will remain as nothing but fleeting experiences.

Edited by pamojja, 15 July 2016 - 08:55 PM.

• Agree x 1

#12 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:28 PM

what about novel things to alleviate the chronic boredom. falling in love, learning a new skill, exploring, or hanging out. bacopa and exercise boost serotonin and give sort of a euphoria and sense of curiosity

#13 fairy

• 143 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 July 2016 - 11:13 AM

When I was younger I remember *things* having a lot more feeling to them. Like now when I remember about certain periods of my past, they have some particular and unique feeling to them, but not that much. Sometimes a day can have a lot of it and you know it while it happens, but that's getting uncommon. This https://en.wikipedia...ow_(psychology)could be related. I cannot even ejoy videogames anymore.

#14 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 12:46 PM

I just think these memories are more lively and wonderful, and when viewed back thru the lens of the past, quite nostalgic and reflective.  Maybe if you do something really novel, like skydive, or trip acid, or a foursome... your world is gonna be rocked like a kid's?

interesting blurbs (http://www.csun.edu/...nts/curious.htm)

Are there negative effects of high curiosity? Several studies have shown that curiosity is a primary motive for dangerous activities and drug use. Most studies however show that curiosity is a positive trait. For example, a positive relationship between curiosity and creativity has been found (Vidler, 1977). Curiosity has also been identified as a major motivation for great accomplishments. For example, Robert Hoffman (1998) reports that intellectual curiosity is the highest rated motivating factor in doctors since the 1920's. Curiosity in general is identified as a positive trait, that predicts adjustment and success. It's also a reproductive trait, one that is looked for in a mate.
Exploration and curiosity have typically been thought of as positive factors enhancing the child's development that should be encouraged. These behaviors expose the child to information about the world and enlarge his/her knowledge. A study by Hutt and Bhavnani (1972) showed that boys (but with no significant findings for girls) responsiveness to novel stimuli in preschool years was associated with higher scores on a creativity test at age nine. Curiosity declines with age (correlation is about -.267), because there is less uncertainty in the adult's world that needs to be understood.

Hunter, Ross and Ames (1982) show that one year old children who were not allowed to finish a habituation to an array of novel stimuli then preferred a familiar stimulus and children who underwent full habituation to a novel stimulus then showed the tendency to select a novel object. The children who learn that they can explore successfully want to continue to explore whereas children who are thwarted are hesitant to explore novel stimuli.

#15 farware

• 131 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:33 PM

When I was younger I remember *things* having a lot more feeling to them. Like now when I remember about certain periods of my past, they have some particular and unique feeling to them, but not that much. Sometimes a day can have a lot of it and you know it while it happens, but that's getting uncommon. This https://en.wikipedia...ow_(psychology)could be related. I cannot even ejoy videogames anymore.

Flow has a lot to do with anxiety and arousal. For years I couldnt play video games either although I love them but now that my anxiety is decreasing nearly ever day, I also notice how I can feel more energized doing activities that I used to enjoy. 

Flow is one of the main reasons that people play video games.[49] It improves performance; calling the phenomenon "TV trance", a 1981 BYTE article discussed how "the best seem to enter a trance where they play but don't pay attention to the details of the game".[50] The primary goal of games is to create entertainment through intrinsic motivation, which is related to flow; that is, without intrinsic motivation it is virtually impossible to establish flow.[51]

The less anxiety I have the more likely I am to engage in games and the better I can create a self-sustaining cycle of motivation because games itself help to lower anxiety and help you to forget your worries and stuff. They force you to live in the moment and can increase your motivation to accomplish things and feel more aroused. 

Why is this so hard to explain? ;) I think we all experienced flow one way or another. When I do, I am at my very best, that moment I dont think about anything except whats in front of me. That is the core problem of ADHD that we lack this ability to keep this attention for longer periods of time and rarely if ever manage to get into the flow. The neurons in your brain are sensible structures so when they get stimulated too much by stress, anxiety, toxins and your environment then its very likely you will not be able to experience that flow .. so it pretty much comes down to controlling these factors either through medication or if still possible through meditation, relaxation techniques, salt / mineral baths.

• Informative x 1

#16 sentics

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

you might wanna check out Open Focus Meditation. it's by far the most interesting and effective meditation method that I've come across. What you do is you try to focus on certain body parts and the distance between them, like focus on the distance between your eyes, the the inside of your nose, then on the distance between eyes and nose. I'm giving a simplified description of the whole thing, here's an introduction by the creator himself 

#17 jaiho

• 521 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:49 AM

I found hallucinogens such as LSD & Psilocybin brought back that childhood experience, especially during a trip.

Mushrooms, i had the exact feeling wash over me from childhood. Books smelt nostalgic, i felt like my brain suddenly went back to being a child again, and every room in my house had a distinct feeling to it.

Just putting my hand in a ray of sunshine felt magical on mushrooms. The afterglow feels cleansing. Its no wonder this substance is having great success in depression trials.

I highly recommend trying it.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Informative x 1

#18 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:40 PM

.. but where all these methods seem to meet as a beginning is the relationship to feelings in this body now (leaving conceptions aside, for short moments).

Like this example up-thread:

.. you might wanna check out Open Focus Meditation. it's by far the most interesting and effective meditation method that I've come across. What you do is you try to focus on certain body parts ...

Personally came in contact with meditation through a powerful 10-day vipassana retreat. The exertion and exercise required for such intense meditation is what gives you future access to this happiness - other than hallucinogens, which only add further memories.

Here an old documentary about such 10-day courses:

One therapeutic practice I could recommend is focusing. First its possible to practice with peers - no expensive experts needed, you'll learn to become the best expert for yourself - secondly it helps to recognize the therapist which could be helpful to you. If you ever decided to work with one.

• like x 1

#19 Neurogenisisis

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:53 AM

Well, it has been quite some time since I wrote here. I've read the comments and even though I was reluctant to try meditation, I gave it a try.

Yes, it made a small change. It gave me more control of my thoughts and inner peace, but still, it didn't bring back my old feelings. I am using meditation on daily basis.

On the other hand, I stumbled on a thread with a woman who had been struggling with anhedonia since a bothersome childhood. She went on to use pregnenolone and DHEA with success. I don't share similar childhood experience like her, but went through a very hard battle with the viral infection as a teenager which put me into a one year struggle to come back. I can concluding that my body must have went through similar kind of immensive stress.

So I started a combo with pregnenolone, DHEA and NSI-189. This made a huge improvement in me. I feel brighter and not in constant need of stimulation to get myself away from boredome. I did change job with even more boring tasks (great co-workers and salary on the other hand) and I can actually do them without feeling frustration. I am much happier as a person with tons of energy, confidence and stronger than ever, but I still don't feel the whole spectrum of emotions. It is like a happy movie in black and white, but I want the colors back.

Sometimes I get the feeling I miss so dearly, but not as much I wish it to be. I've tried twice hashis and that brings it all back. I feel the world as I usually was feeling until my viral infection got me. I know it is a drug, but it is weird that everything feels "normal" during hashis, just like things were before.

But I can't and won't rely on illegal drugs to make the world feel more colorful. I just can't continue with it as I am sure I will rely on it too much. I also tried mushrooms. Great experience, but not what I was searching for.

As I can conclude, something in hashis brings it all back. My question is pretty much, why?

(Excuse me for being grammatical incorrect in some parts due to using my phone)

Edited by Neurogenisisis, 31 October 2016 - 05:56 AM.

• Informative x 1

#20 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:53 AM

As I can conclude, something in hashis brings it all back. My question is pretty much, why?

After doing my first 10-day Vipassana retreat, with all the heightened awareness, I had to try it too. That was the last time since 1995 in Kathmandu. Because cannabis might give you only a borrowed glimpse, which in dedicated mediation through all the mental-training becomes rather a faculty.

Though I do understand through this experience why Indian Babas often use it as part of their spiritual practice.

.. but where all these methods seem to meet as a beginning is the relationship to feelings in this body now (leaving conceptions aside, for short moments).

#21 logicmuffin

• 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:16 PM

I remember I had a often occuring feeling, when I was younger, a feeling which is pretty hard to define. I can at the most describe it as expactancy or great comfort, but also as if there were something mysterious in the air. Something, something. Like as if you were in a fairy tale or in a kingdom or some other fantazy world. You could feel the presence, but at the same time feel it like you were at the seventh gate. An atmosphere-feeling. The feeling changed depending on smell, location and people. Best and closest described is if it was christmas joy. 

This is the best characterization of childhood I've read in a long time. I think in many cases we'd be pathologizing to call loss of wonderment depression or anhedonia. It might just be the human condition. 

• Agree x 2

#22 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:27 PM

This is the best characterization of childhood I've read in a long time. I think in many cases we'd be pathologizing to call loss of wonderment depression or anhedonia. It might just be the human condition.
Yeah, for some of us who stopped believing in magic and/or religion, there in no going back. Maybe except for a new love affair. But that's frown upon if one is married.

I'm going to look into pregnenolone. But, DHEA did nothing for me, and I doubt pregnenolone will do any magic for me (at least I don't have to worry about placebo effect).

Edited by jack black, 31 October 2016 - 03:42 PM.

#23 Iuvenale

• 46 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:23 PM

Look at puppies, kittens, all baby mammals. They are happier, more curious, more in tune with the world than the adults of their species. And old mammals are less happy and curious than young adult mammals. It’s a huge tragedy- but one that nobody seems to talk about. I guess most forget those feelings because they can feel them at the present so their memory has nothing to hook onto. This is not part of the human condition, it’s part of the mammalian condition. My interest in anti-aging technologies started with a desire to recapture this feeling. Nobody seems to research it, though. My hope is that in my lifetime there will be an acceptance of fixing inherent flaws in the human body and mind and we will make some progress to regaining this childlike happiness for all people. After all, it makes sense that nature wouldn’t want us in a state of wonder and curiosity and intense awareness of things around us when we are no longer in our learning stage but are supposed to be doing repetitive tasks each day and worrying about things. But our human values are not the same as nature’s values. We need to transform humans into something better. Similar, but better.
  • like x 1

#24 YOLF

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:03 PM

Good question. Have the same. Age or anhedonia, hard to say. I'd love to know a wise answer.

Hmm... I think this will be discovered as the disease "Age Related Anhedonia." It will be characterized as a slow loss of luster in life.

It's still there within. Split off below consciousness for protecting us from its vulnerability. Now a none-lit place like in a shadow and deep as many abysses at once. It's for the brave to rediscover, along with it's oceans of pains and joys.

However as the saying goes: Ask, and you'll be given. :)

Vulnerability is part of it. If you aren't vulnerable or are too aloof for whatever reason, you can restore the body chemistry that is necessary and never make the most of it.

We are all different, so there are different approaches. An empowering therapeutic relationship or dedicated meditation are examples. I could be wrong, but where all these methods seem to meet as a beginning is the relationship to feelings in this body now (leaving conceptions aside, for short moments).

I suppose drugs like Addy could be effective at this. They've been demonstrated in a similar manner.

#25 YOLF

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:20 PM

What you're feeling determines how you perceive the world. Remembrance of times past and a commitment to live again in that experience are important. I guess it's like a self directed cognitive behavioral therapy. Many who are interested in indefinite lifespans have genetics (rs1801133 A:A) that make it advisable to limit how passionately one gets with any kind of spiritualism or separation from reality. Pushing too far in that direction will allow our abundantly powerful brain chemistry to exceed safe limits. Likewise, with meditation, your breathing can concentrate airborne neurochemistry in the lungs and be used to induce drug like states. Be careful. What works for the many will not always work for you. When the gods were men, they were probably rs1801133 A:A, demigods were rs180133 A:G, and mortals would have presumably been G:G, and different lifestyles and levels of spiritual practice were recommended for them, they had even established breeding trees to predict whose families would produce which kind. In some ways it can still be like that, but the gods and mortals have made many demigods who can have offspring that has 4-10x the volume of brain chemistry that they do. The moral of the story being to not use your built in drugs to compensate, else you allow it to make you happier about aging and fail to cure it. Meditation is solely for remembering feelings, nothing else.

As a child all experiences you make are new and fresh .. as you grow older chances are that you have a good understanding of the world your character is in and is now accustomed to. You still learn new things every day but considerably less than when you were a child so I guess you are also creating a lot less neural networks as an adult and rather improve the existing networks. 

Edit: After reading your other comments I also think you would benefit from taking a closer look at what depression can do to you. I'm turning 29 this year and as you described I also had this incredibly small range of emotions for years. I couldnt show any emotions or feel grateful or joy for a long time. Now that I'm on Tianeptine which is used for major depressive disorder and other related diseases some of that is returning. On some good days I feel joy again, not like when I was younger but a completely new level that I forgot was even there. Its subtle but better than this feeling of "emptiness". I dont know about you but in order to feel euphoric I also need to do something engaging but thats particular hard when you're feeling down / depressed. Maybe talking about it with someone would help? If not, spend a few weeks on research. I'd also suggest a genetic test from 23andme.com if you can afford it (its 100 bucks) to see if you have some genetic issues that could contribute to problems. 

If you dont want to take anything too serious you could try taking P5P, its the coenzyme form of the vitamin B6 and can be used by your body directly - it will help with neurogenesis and general neurotransmitter production. Sometimes people get deficient for various reasons e.g. stress, malnutrition, etc and then get some form of anhedonia. 

Stem cells and stem cell health, particularly in the brain and in a few other organs are important here. Thymus, liver, adrenal, and kidney, pituitary, and hypothalamus rejuvenation can bring back the feeling we're looking for. I've experimented with some of this and while with a friend at a mall experienced the power of youth on a spring day as if I had been 20 years younger. There's actually alot of supplement combinations that I've found which will get you there, or get you some part of it back and I think with some new developments I'm watching and hope to try that it will become permanent, some of it does seem to have had this affect, but mostly as it relates to libido, not so much the euphoria of youth..

Working out seems to prime the brain for the response. Get a good workout by early afternoon each day. It makes a huge difference in how receptive I get to these feelings.

Hormone levels can affect this. If you can get back to more youthful hormone levels, you will experience the original nostalgia that you felt for things like scents and memories, and they will be very vivid. I'm glad I saved all of my old aftershaves :) I wonder if there will be a market for these as antiques?

Edited by YOLF, 09 October 2017 - 08:29 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Informative x 1

#26 YOLF

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:25 PM

I see the conversation devolves into traditional street drug abuse... These have never gotten anyone anywhere... Seriously, read the stories about the guy that sold his house and lived in a secret room in his basement with a few barrels of LSD... If you want it back, you need your youth back... that stuff is just such a waste of money... it isn't going to make you young, it's just going to get you high, and I imagine it will all have been a nightmare when you wake up from it.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#27 nickthird

• 249 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:06 AM

When I was around 5 my father told me that after I grow up I would forget about my childhood because it will become locked. So every night that I went to bed I briefly went over my memories so far. I kept doing this until I was around 12. So I have today a unique view on this topic.

I have a dual perception of my childhood as a result. As an adult I, for some reason, perceive my childhood as extremely happy, and when I think of the topic only the happy moments pop up. While my memories of my state of mind at the time are not telling the same story at all. My state of mind was not happy at all on average. Many moments were very emotional, so the happy parts very very vivid and really happy. While the sad parts were equally as strong, so while on average I was in a neural or perhaps negative state of mind even, my memories as a adult distort the picture and present my childhood as the best time I've had.

I know what you mean where small variations in the environment cause you very specific feelings that you no longer have today.

I think these effects are likely to be related to being in a state of internal creativity and discovering things about the environment. I find that I can get back to a similar state temporarily when I improvise well on the piano or are doing other creative things.

#28 YOLF

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

When I was around 5 my father told me that after I grow up I would forget about my childhood because it will become locked. So every night that I went to bed I briefly went over my memories so far. I kept doing this until I was around 12. So I have today a unique view on this topic.

I have a dual perception of my childhood as a result. As an adult I, for some reason, perceive my childhood as extremely happy, and when I think of the topic only the happy moments pop up. While my memories of my state of mind at the time are not telling the same story at all. My state of mind was not happy at all on average. Many moments were very emotional, so the happy parts very very vivid and really happy. While the sad parts were equally as strong, so while on average I was in a neural or perhaps negative state of mind even, my memories as a adult distort the picture and present my childhood as the best time I've had.

I know what you mean where small variations in the environment cause you very specific feelings that you no longer have today.

I think these effects are likely to be related to being in a state of internal creativity and discovering things about the environment. I find that I can get back to a similar state temporarily when I improvise well on the piano or are doing other creative things.

What about social things? There are always new people to discover. I've noticed that learning languages also makes me more susceptible to these experiences and it opens up new opportunities to learn of people.

#29 MidwestGreg

• 37 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

Age or anhedonia, hard to say. I'd love to know a wise answer.

Perhaps a decrease in dopamine?

From lack of PUFA in diet? https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2493469/

Or maybe age related dopamine decreases? https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4048549/

Or perhaps serotonin related? https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/26826634

Abstract

The introduction of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors has gradually changed the borders of the major depression disease class. Anhedonia was considered a cardinal symptom of endogenous depression, but the potential of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors to treat anxiety disorders has increased the relevance of stress-induced morbidity. This shift has led to an important heterogeneity of current major depressive disorder. The complexity can be disentangled by postulating the existence of two different but mutually interacting neuronal circuits regulating the intensity of anhedonia (lack of pleasure) and dysphoria (lack of happiness). These circuits are functionally dominated by partly closed limbic (regulating misery-fleeing behaviour) and extrapyramidal (regulating reward-seeking behaviour) cortico-striato-thalamo-cortical (CSTC) circuits. The re-entry circuits include the shell and core parts of the accumbens nucleus, respectively. Pleasure can be considered to result from finding relief from the hypermotivation to exhibit rewarding behaviour, and happiness

Or, who really knows: https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/28915269

The biometric antecedents to happiness. Abstract

It has been suggested that biological markers are associated with human happiness. We contribute to the empirical literature by examining the independent association between various aspects of biometric wellbeing measured in childhood and happiness in adulthood. Using Young Finns Study data (n = 1905) and nationally representative linked data we examine whether eight biomarkers measured in childhood (1980) are associated with happiness in adulthood (2001). Using linked data we account for a very rich set of confounders including age, sex, body size, family background, nutritional intake, physical activity, income, education and labour market experiences. We find that there is a negative relationship between triglycerides and subjective well-being but it is both gender- and age-specific and the relationship does not prevail using the later measurements (1983/1986) on triglycerides. In summary, we conclude that none of the eight biomarkers measured in childhood predict happiness

Good subject

https://www.ncbi.nlm...dhood happiness

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 YOLF

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:38 PM

Age or anhedonia, hard to say. I'd love to know a wise answer.

Perhaps a decrease in dopamine?

From lack of PUFA in diet? https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2493469/

Or maybe age related dopamine decreases? https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4048549/

Or perhaps serotonin related? https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/26826634

PUFAs apparently oxidise faster, so taking a supplement which inhibits lipid peroxidation such as antioxidants (some are better than others, which works best will be up to the reader). I think that taking more PUFAs though would be less sustainable/therapeutic. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure so they say.

For dopamine decrease, or what the paper refers to as dopamine receptor decrease (they are different), you want to raise your neurosteroid levels. You can do this through various and complicated strategies to rejuvenate the brain to the best we are presently capable of, and/or you can increase your output of sex/neurosteroids by upregulation of GnRH.

As for being serotonin related, you can try D3 in high doses (up to 18,000iu iirc) or 5HTP, but this approach will lead to artificial satiation that you don't want (laziness), what you want is tons of motivation. Taking this stuff won't get you all of what you want, but it will help you determine more precisely what you're looking for. D3 will also raise your sex/neurosteroid levels by at least 20%, but potentially much more. It still leaves an imbalance that favors serotonin and artificial satiety though... so again, it's just for determining exactly what neurochemical effect you are looking to reproduce. On the political spectrum, it seems that it is being used as an 'opiate' for the retired masses as there are people promoting the use of the highest, most bioavailable doses, and while it is great for bones, I think excess just leads to feelings of having lived a satisfied life rather than fighting death and aging to the victorious end which is nearly imminent). 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users