Photo
- - - - -

Genotrim

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jay the Avenger

• 286 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 01:16 PM

A few days ago, the Dutch media reported on an upcoming DNA pill, based on your personal DNA, against obesity.

Since there were NO hits in Google on this at first, and only a handful of Dutch hits right now, I decided to loosely translate the article and put it on my blogspot Our Technological Future.

And here it is: http://jwbats.blogsp...to-obesity.html

If this is the real deal, then I'd say it's pretty big. It's also the first personalised medication we've ever seen in the mainstream.

#2 123456

• 295 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:26 PM

That, if it is true, is good news.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 07:16 PM

Would Oprah Winfrey really want to put her reputation on the line if this was a scam?

I don't think her reputation depends on accurately predicting science ;-) Ask how big the check was, that's all...

#4 Jay the Avenger

• Topic Starter
  • 286 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 07:18 PM

I think her reputation would decrease if she'd start endorsing bogus penis-size increasing pills.

I also think she'd think it wouldn't be worth the investment.

So I'd rather go with my own logic on this one John. :)

#5 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:46 PM

Give up all refined sugar and flour if you want to eliminate obesity. Simple and effective but requires change which most people won't do.

#6 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:44 PM

Give up all refined sugar and flour if you want to eliminate obesity. Simple and effective but requires change which most people won't do.

Are you obese? Or were you? How heavy?

#7 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:49 PM

i already have the cure for obesity....

proper diet/portion control & exercise!

#8 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 12:06 AM

The refined sugar and flour isn't necessarily the problem. I agree with ajnast4r, it is about portion control for 99% of the population. However, some people have screwed their bodies all to hell and back (myself included during the first 17 years of my life), and a little help wouldn't hurt them to get the ball rolling on a healthier physique.

#9 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:34 AM

rfarris, I lost a lot of weight doing that but it took a while. shepard, the refined sugar and flour is the problem, for many people. Portion control sounds good but it ignores the real cause of the problem: food cravings. If people could restrict themselves to sensible portions, they wouldn't have a problem. Sugar is highly addictive as is flour. Any highly refined hydrocarbate can cause problems. People become addicted to the sugar rush and flour gives the same thing just a little more slowly. I lost weight over a period of 4 years and had no food cravings at all. Willpower only lasts until you break down which will happen eventually if you have food cravings. Soon as I got rid of the sugar and flour I was fine. If I had had any willpower to go with it, I'd have lost the weight in 1 year instead of 4. I lost mucho weight with no sense of deprivation at all. It was like falling off a log but it took 4 years. I'm fine with that, a fast loss is often followed by a fast or even faster gain with the person worse off than when they started. Just saying eat less is useless advice. Yes, it's correct but telling them that helps not at all. They already know that, they want to know how to do it. Give up the sugar and flour and you will lose weight effortlessly.

#10 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:35 AM

Lots and lots of people on low-carb diets manage to put on weight instead of lose it.

Sure, excess insulin is bad...blah blah blah....we all know that. But, overall diet/lifestyle is much more important.

Most people do not realize what satiety is. They eat until they are in pain or their plate is empty.

#11 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:57 PM

You have some valid points, shepard, but a low carb diet is not the same as no sugar or flour. That being said, I will have to admit it is possible not to lose weight on the no sug/flour if one still eats like a pig. Fatty foods have to be avoided. Things like cheese, nuts or sugary fruits can also trigger food cravings. Some people get cravings if they drink fruit juice, others like me have no problem with juice but if I started drinking it by the quart every day, I'd have a problem. All I'm saying is that if you avoid refined sugar, flour and any other food that you crave, you will not have food cravings. That gives the person the opportunity to lose some major weight. However, a few may have such eating habits that they simply shovel it in whether they are hungry or not.

I have noticed that certain tastes can trigger food cravings. Sugar substitutes like sucralose have no calories but will give cravings so they are not much help. I've seen studies that showed that people who ate sugar substitutes lost no more weight than those who didn't and many lost less or gained more on the substitutes. Hard cheese may trigger cravings but cheese spread might not. Once the food cravings go away, you can lose weight without feeling hungry. I never denied myself anything, when I was hungry I ate. I still lost over 50 lb and kept it off for a long time. It takes a little getting used to to give up the cake, pizza, etc that people shove at you but once you get used to a good diet with no sugar/flour, you will lose weight with no real effort. If you have will power and the diet, you can lose 5-10lb a month or more. I had no will power and it worked for me.

"Most people do not realize what satiety is. They eat until they are in pain or their plate is empty."

Most over eaters are like that. It's getting to the point that many americans are that way. That's like eating out of habit.

#12 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:03 AM

Sure, excess insulin is bad...blah blah blah....we all know that. But, overall diet/lifestyle is much more important.

Since I haven 't been following this thread I won't get into this except to say that this is like saying well...cigarette smoking is bad, but overall diet/lifestyle is much more important. Besides the fact that spiking glucose increases non-enzymatic glycation which results in increased cell ageing, wrinkles, cataracts, etc, spiking insulin messes up eicosanoids which increase inflammation. Inflamation has been linked to everything from heart disease to alzheimers to cancer. Increasing eicosanoids undoes some of the good that the fish oil you're taking does.

As an aside (send those flames in) this is where the vegetarians have it wrong. Sure a veggie diet beats eating mcDonalds and the typical SAD (std american diet), but a diet of say chicken, salmon and fruits and veggies (I think this is kinda southbeach but don't quote me on it) is healthier then any veggie spiking insulin on a regular basis*.

*Those who e.g. just spike insulin post workout are another discussion.

#13 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:34 AM

Yes, I will still say that overall diet/lifestyle is much more important to weight loss than a sedentary individual not taking in any processed sugar/flour. I'm not talking about longevity at this point, I'm referring to the topic at hand. Weight loss will increase longevity, anyway. Of course, the more overweight a person, the higher the importance of minimizing insulin as much as possible (for most people).

I don't think you understood what I was advocating. I wasn't implying that white flour/sugar was okay to take in on a daily basis, I'm saying that it is only a small part of a much larger problem. If insulin was the only problem, we should all just eat a small amount of meat to get our protein requirements, then have a big old chunk of lard for the rest of our energy.

On your smoking point, I won't get into it too much, but I'm not convinced that a smoker who follows a proper exercise routine and diet, supplementation, etc. wouldn't stand a better change of living to 100 than your typical American.

#14 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:30 AM

Shepard, no one is saying overall lifestyle isn't important. Obviously, overall lifestyle including excercise, diet, fitness level, supplementation and so on are very important. I'm not saying you can just lose some weight and eat garbage and be well. I'm not saying you don't need excercise or that losing weight is all you need. I'm saying the no refined carbs diet works and it also brings many of the other good things like lowered blood sugar levels, lowered resistance to insulin, good changes in lipid levels and so on. Naturally, if you eat as good a diet as you can that helps also. Excercise too is important and vitamins and the other things we discuss here.

If you look around you you see hords of people who have food cravings. How do you know they have food cravings? You don't ask them, you look at them. I was one, I have to confess. I was fat for years trying to diet but I was also eating a lot of veggies every day and taking vitamins. Once I went cold turkey on the sweets, pastry, pasta and so on, it was easy. It seemed a little strange for a few weeks. You get used to certain things and you sort of miss the flavors. Then going over to someone's house becomes a problem because they try to push high fat, high sugar and flour type food on you. They do that even after you tell them you don't eat that anymore. They will keep testing you. It takes some commitment and a support group helps. I just made my mind up and I did it. I lost a lot of weight the first couple months and then it tapered down to zip and I had to quit the stuff I was cheating with like popcorn with cheese sauce and extra cheese and butter in order to start losing weight again. It wasn't that hard and the amazing thing is that I still have not gone back to the old diet and I still have the weight loss. I need to get in better shape and I still have too much fat but I'm picky now so it's not that bad. :) If someone wants a fairly easy way to kick food cravings, this is it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#15 Jay the Avenger

• Topic Starter
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 06:02 PM

Salugen now has what appears to be an official site on GenoTrim. It's in Dutch, so I have translated it in this latest post on my blog:

Enjoy.

GenoTrim Official Site Translation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users