- - - - -

First stack with clear goals

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 getsmart

• 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:59 AM

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I'm relatively new to the world of nootropics, but have been reading up voraciously, and feel ready to embark on my first experiment.

At the moment, I want to specifically target quantitative cognitive functions -- long and short term memory, concentration, mental processing speed and attention span. I'm therefore looking at nootropics that have the most acute and specific effects in these areas. These seem to be Hup A, Pyritinol, Vincamine, Vinpocetine, Ginkgo and Bacopa. (And possibly Galantamine, but I'm inclined to avoid it as I have a sensitive stomach.)

I'd be appreciative of any advice/comments as to whether those substances would make for a synergistic stack; and any dosage recommendations. I'm thinking of having two plans: a mild daily stack and a more intensive one for when I'm going to be putting more stress on the old grey matter.

#2 getsmart

• Topic Starter
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 06:34 AM

... also "targeting" spelling :)

Seriously though, a couple more substances I'm considering are idebenone and alcar. Comments on those appreciated as well. Cheers.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:34 PM

Try them one at a time and see how they work for you. A fine tune approach is much better than starting a big stack all at once. You want to know what each one is doing for you and what a good dose is. Often you have to try something for a while to know what is optimum for you. I seem to be more sensitive to many things than most other people so I take a smaller amount. One thing I tried, gaba, I seemed to need a little more. I tried about 600mg and it didn't do much. 1000 was better and 1500mg hit the spot. Of course that's more for calming but it illustrates the fact you have to carefully fine tune your dose.

If you are taking vinpocetine, vincamine and those others, I wouldn't take ginkgo too. It has some side effects with certain people. Ala synergises with alcar. I found the alcar very stimulating but I'm starting to get used to it. Rather than taking extra noots when you plan to be under stress, take a good stack and stay with it. I think that will give better long term results.

#4 gcurrie

• 86 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 12:02 AM

Ditto on what xanadu said - whatever you do, add things one at a time so you see which ones make a difference. Dosage can be very personal - for example optimal racetam dosage seems to vary a lot.

I know LifeMirage takes vinpo and vincamine, but I don't see enough difference. I'd recommend vinpocetine since it is significantly cheaper and widely available.

Also agree that gingko and vinpo/vincamine overlap too much to combine.

Everything else looks good for your purposes, at least "on paper."

Alcar, for me, doesn't have a lot of mental effect. Idebenone has been reported to have some stimulating effect, but I haven't experienced it myself. I take idebenone for antioxidant reasons.

I've been taking 8 mg of galantamine for a few months, and find it better than Huperzine. The cost is a little prohibitive, though. I've not noticed any stomach upset. Most of the nootropics I've tried/use caused initial digestive system issues for the first week, so I expected galantamine to give me problems - go figure.

#5 littlegreycells

• 38 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:19 AM

I've been taking 8 mg of galantamine for a few months, and find it better than Huperzine. The cost is a little prohibitive, though. I've not noticed any stomach upset. Most of the nootropics I've tried/use caused initial digestive system issues for the first week, so I expected galantamine to give me problems - go figure.

According to LifeMirage, Hup-A and Galantamine have similar effects on memory, but Galantamine has additional motivation boosting properties. Is that what you've found? Or for you personally has Galantamine been the more powerful memory enhancer?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 gcurrie

• 86 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 12:32 AM

According to LifeMirage, Hup-A and Galantamine have similar effects on memory, but Galantamine has additional motivation boosting properties. Is that what you've found? Or for you personally has Galantamine been the more powerful memory enhancer?

Galantamine seems to be similar to Huperzine with the extra motivation aspect (similar to deprenyl). Kind of like Huperzine Plus...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users