- - - - -

i have Asperger Syndrome, now what?

asperger syndrome

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#61 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:01 AM

I kind of like gamesguru taking us waaaay back to the Pleistocene because if I were to venture a guess it would be there were fewer Autistics then, though high functioning Autistics probably filled a large portion of certain tribal roles-- fun to think about anyway.

#62 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:08 PM

Yeah, thanks to the high functioning autism we have real sciences (I'm excluding all those humanities pseudosciences) and technology. All that visual and outside the box thinking.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#63 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:57 PM

decreasing serotonin via tianeptine makes me sedated and tired. tianeptine with low dose 5HTP seems to be the best combo so far.

I know you've said that you are avoiding me, but besides 5htp removing the sedation and tiredness, why do you think that it's the low serotonin that makes you sedated and tired? I don't think tianeptine is that strong and especially not if you have high serotonin to begin with. Studies indicate that its effects on lowering serotonin aren't impressive at all and tianeptine does many other things that could cause those experiences. High serotonin causes sedation and fatigue.
When I took 15 grams of a BCAA complex to lower serotonin I was not at all even close to being fatigued
I avoided you because I mentioned tianeptine in you thread on serotonin and it was slapped will "ill informed" flag.

But since you are here, in my thread, talking about tianeptine and serotonin, I'm going to respond alright.

Yes, tianeptine does decrease serotonin, and yes it makes a lot of people sedeted and tired, and yes it can be (at least partially) reversed by 5htp, hence my conclusions.

It's not always clean and clear. For example, today I took no 5htp and feel fine. I had lots of eggs for dinner last night, may be all that choline influences serotonin? According to my sources, it should be the opposite though.

Also, 5htp does not completely reverse tianeptine. The sum of both is clearly not zero and I feel help with both anxiety (low 5htp dose) and ADHD type symptoms.

But because 5htp increases systemic serotonin and it's likely high in ASD anyhow, I'm going to limit it to low dose, together with green tea extract, and spaced from vitamines B.

Edited by jack black, 01 November 2016 - 06:05 PM.

#64 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:04 PM

Especially if you buy into the crap about mingling with Neanderthals spread autism across southeast asia and the americas.

It's doubtful rates of illness have much to do with pollution, I think autism has always been stable around 1 in 75. Considerably less than the 1 in 35 for shcizotypy or 1 in 25 for borderline syndrome, which it is thought Newton, Nietzsche, Pythagoras and other great minds suffered that combination of personality disorders. Regardless, many naturally curious and completely healthy people contributed to science, even perhaps prehistorically

#65 thebrainstore

• Guest TheBrainStore Proprietor
  • 88 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:24 PM

I have to disagree with the statement that Asperger's is a genetic defect with no cure.

Syndrome means collection of symptoms, and this particular collection was first noticed by a guy named Asperger, so it's not more real than the credit you give that guy.

I was also diagnosed with ASD after a lifetime of difficulties. I was not happy with the diagnosis as I did not want to remain the way that I was.

My own research over the course of a year, followed by working with a few other ASD cases since then has shown me that whilst there are some SNPs involved in some of these outcomes, the real damage done to an individual with ASD occurs due to the stress created by the average life not suiting that particular individual.

My parents recognised I was different, and in an effort to solve this 'problem' they found themselves with they applied force, a bit like hitting the TV when the picture goes snowy.

They kept adding more force, and every time my behaviour showed signs that I still wasn't 'right' they increased the force. It didn't take long before most of my behaviour was caused by taking an already stressed individual and increasing the stress load upon him. To add insult to injury, I then had to live with a disgruntled family who believed that I was behaving in such a traumatised way out of choice, and making their lives more difficult for the sake of it.

The real problem eventually occurred after 30 years of this and I got PTSD from long term trauma, the trauma of feeling/being different to the people around me, the trauma of having limited social function and skills, the trauma of constantly losing friends, the trauma of not knowing how to feed myself properly, and the trauma of knowing that things had always been this way and showed no sign of getting any better. I lost most of my muscle mass and fat due to poor nutrition, was hitting myself in the head constantly, could not cope with ANY change from a pre determined plan, was obsessed by information and collecting things.

Now I have an IQ of 150, am musically gifted, don't particularly enjoy wasting my time in dull social situations involving intoxication, and have such big ideas going on that I am not immediately concerned with the minutiae of what is happening around me. That's not to say I'm not aware of what's happening around me, I just don't need to give it as much attention as other people seem to. Does that make me stupid? No.

Does that really sound like a genetic defect? To me it sounds more like the kind of person that does interesting, meaningful things, the kind of person who likes a challenge and doesn't give up. In short, a shining example of a human being.

What do I do now? Well after spending a year or so hacking the body and mind I now run a business helping to turn other 'special' people around, taking them away from a stress nightmare and equipping them to thrive by making full use of the 'different' tools they were given.

To summarise, I believe the exceptional people raised by less exceptional people, and who are forced to conform to ideals which don't suit them, show signs of stress from an early age, so early in fact they they can be discounted as mentally ill and not taken seriously. Our society labels these people as 'Aspergers' or 'ASD'.

I used a combination of basic wisdom, getting things dialled in within 5 fundamental areas which results in an increase of neurogenesis and a much improved outlook on life:

​Eating - correct macro balance and a good range of supplements
Sleeping - light exposure, bed times, sleep environment all affect the quality of our rest periods
​Breathing - the nervous system can be controlled completely by breathing exercises
Moving - yoga, qi gong, strength training and high intensity cardio all add up to a great sense of vitality
​Sharing - human contact, engaging with the world and experiencing new possibilities is a fundamental stabiliser of mental health

... in addition to neurofeedback which is a technology which allows us to repair the functions of the brain which have become compromised due to long term stress exposure.

​It seems that brains under chronic stress gradually shut down their functionality. ADD seems a common response to early childhood stress and if it was particularly traumatic this can go as far as PTSD.Through a combination of learning to live in a better way and alongside the practice of neurofeedback, I have erased my:

​Social dysfunction,
​Anxiety,
​Emotional outbursts,

Poor memory,
​Brain Fog,
Speech problems,
​Depression,
Lack of motivation,
​Obsessive thoughts,
Fixed ideas,
​and probably a few more things in there too which weren't enough of an issue to note down in the beginning.

​This whole process took a year, and in that time I went from mental health crisis to deadlifting my own bodyweight at the gym and having contacts all over the world who are fascinated by my progress and who pay me for my advice. It takes much less time when you have the guidance from someone who has already been through the process, and 6 months seems to be the optimum amount of time to make this kind of recovery if you follow the guidelines and put in the effort.

The most appealing thing about this, is that when life is presented as a system to be tweaked and perfected, the 'Aspergers' brain jumps right in with both arms outspread and can't wait to get started.,

Edited by thebrainstore, 08 November 2016 - 02:29 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • unsure x 1

#66 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:43 PM

Call me sceptical, but as soon I saw a reference to money for advice, I realized this was informercial.

Of course nutrition, sleep, meditation, etc are good things, but did little for me personally.

I guess I would not mind trying neurofeedback if there was an easy and inexpensive way.

#67 thebrainstore

• Guest TheBrainStore Proprietor
  • 88 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:04 PM

I actually spent a long time writing that post above in an attempt to give you some hope and won't take your reply personally.

​You 'realized' this was infomercial? No, you decided it was infomercial based on nothing more than somewhere in there it mentioned I was getting paid. Everyone gest paid, big deal. Do you work for free? I doubt it very much. 

I took time out of my day to formulate a response that would give you something to work with here, in terms of a possible solution to the problems you seem to be facing. It's not like you're the first person I've told this stuff to so I know it works and thought it might be helpful. It's a shame you chose not to engage with it, everyone else has jumped at the chance of solving these kinds of chronic mental health issues.

I was trying to indicate how successful I was at turning the ASD diagnosis into something more beneficial, Since you asked "I have Aspergers, now what?" I was just giving you a 'what'. Have I asked you for money? No, (and i havent asked anyone else either, it's all donations that i have no control over) but its interesting that out of the whole load of stuff I wrote you homed in on the only thing that could potentially be used to discredit me, even though it required you getting fact and opinion confused in order to try and make that happen.

For someone who was long term depressed and unemployed I am quite pleased that out of my suffering I have been able to turn an income and use what I learnt to help others. Your logic is flawed somewhere. I'm so good at this that people pay me for my advice, yet because I get paid everything I have to say is of no value and should be ignored. Son, if you need a problem solved you go to the professionals not the kid down the street who offers to do it for free.

If sleep, nutrition, meditation etc. don't do anything for you personally then most likely is you didn't try making enough changes for long enough to notice any difference. If you studied the science behind the 5 basics that I mentioned (and you dismissed), you would find a way to change your life completely.

Nothing worth having is easily gained. You would need to do upwards of 200 hours of neurofeedback in order to resolve your symptoms, so trying it is irrelevant. It's time consuming, boring, sometimes stressful... but it rebuilds brains and restores functionality in what appears to be record time. The lasting benefits come from mid-term consistent use.

Good luck in your quest to get better without working for it. Come back to me if you want to discuss further anything mentioned above, especially how neurofeedback could solve your problems. Don't come back to me if you want to vent more of your general anger at how life has treated you, or accuse me of doing more things that I'm not doing.

Edited by thebrainstore, 08 November 2016 - 10:20 PM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#68 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:14 PM

I actually spent a long time writing that post above in an attempt to give you some hope and won't take your reply personally.

​You 'realized' this was infomercial? No, you decided it was infomercial based on nothing more than somewhere in there it mentioned I was getting paid. Everyone gest paid, big deal. Do you work for free? I doubt it very much. 

I took time out of my day to formulate a response that would give you something to work with here, in terms of a possible solution to the problems you seem to be facing. It's not like you're the first person I've told this stuff to so I know it works and thought it might be helpful. It's a shame you chose not to engage with it, everyone else has jumped at the chance of solving these kinds of chronic mental health issues.

I was trying to indicate how successful I was at turning the ASD diagnosis into something more beneficial, Since you asked "I have Aspergers, now what?" I was just giving you a 'what'. Have I asked you for money? No, (and i havent asked anyone else either, it's all donations that i have no control over) but its interesting that out of the whole load of stuff I wrote you homed in on the only thing that could potentially be used to discredit me, even though it required you getting fact and opinion confused in order to try and make that happen.

For someone who was long term depressed and unemployed I am quite pleased that out of my suffering I have been able to turn an income and use what I learnt to help others. Your logic is flawed somewhere. I'm so good at this that people pay me for my advice, yet because I get paid everything I have to say is of no value and should be ignored. Son, if you need a problem solved you go to the professionals not the kid down the street who offers to do it for free.

If sleep, nutrition, meditation etc. don't do anything for you personally then most likely is you didn't try making enough changes for long enough to notice any difference. If you studied the science behind the 5 basics that I mentioned (and you dismissed), you would find a way to change your life completely.

Nothing worth having is easily gained. You would need to do upwards of 200 hours of neurofeedback in order to resolve your symptoms, so trying it is irrelevant. It's time consuming, boring, sometimes stressful... but it rebuilds brains and restores functionality in what appears to be record time. The lasting benefits come from mid-term consistent use.

Good luck in your quest to get better without working for it. Come back to me if you want to discuss further anything mentioned above, especially how neurofeedback could solve your problems. Don't come back to me if you want to vent more of your general anger at how life has treated you, or accuse me of doing more things that I'm not doing.

thanks for your time and apologies if i offended you greatly. you can chalk it to my paranoia. but, if the 5 basics were that great (yes, i have them covered) mental diseases would be incredibly easy to treat by lifestyle changes, but sorry, they are not. if you insist on that part, you are clearly selling hype here.

now, the part about 200+ hrs, that i assume have to be paid by the hour (BTW, what is the current hourly rate?) clearly shows why this is so unpopular, even assuming it works at all. i actually think it works, if one puts that much effort and money, the placebo effect must be huge ( i mean in the positive way).

http://neurosciencen...k-placebo-4379/

Writing in Lancet Psychiatry, they report that “sham neurofeedback” improves outcomes as much as true EEG neurofeedback. “Patients spend thousands of dollars and dedicate up to six months training their brain with neurofeedback,” Thibault says. “Yet, they are chasing elusive brain-based processes.”

Edited by jack black, 09 November 2016 - 05:25 PM.

#69 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:17 AM

https://aspergers101...have-aspergers/

https://www.quora.co...to-someone-else
http://ask.metafilte...and-unmotivated

http://www.livingwit...to-a-bar-alone/

http://thoughtcatalo...-to-bars-alone/

http://www.elle.com/...to-a-bar-alone/

https://autism-help....gers-sexual.htm

Edited by gamesguru, 16 November 2016 - 01:20 AM.

• unsure x 2

#70 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 November 2016 - 02:34 AM

I guess i had to ask, are those random things, or is there a some sort of message?

Thanks!

#71 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 November 2016 - 08:29 PM

Errm, yeah, I don't quite get it either...

I *think* Gamesguru wants to help you by finding techniques which enhance social functioning through non-pharmacological methods of behavioural modification?? (sort of like the reference on Dr. Blake's homepage I found - regarding new behavioural techniques which actually show SOME effect)

Or how Thebrainstore tried to sell you on his program which is supposed to do the same thing... only Gamesguru wants to give you some tools free of charge.

GG, dude... are you on something, again? I'm not Aspergers and I don't always quite get what you mean either!

#72 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:07 PM

I wouldn't quite call it behavioral modification.  Luck simply favors the prepared.  Two candidates are interviewing at Chipotle, both asked what they know about the restaurant and why they want to work there, one says "I want to work at Chipotle because the atmosphere is great, the people are great and I love their idea of "Food with Integrity" I believe that if the food has integrity, so does the company and their people, and that's a great thing. I myself, also, love natural and organic food."  While the second says,"I know you've got a job going, and I want to work here because the food's good".  Who's more prepared?

http://www.peopleski...ople-ignore-me/

http://elitedaily.co...boring/1332581/

Any resource to help you with job interviews, friendships, or dating is a good resource, because those are the areas where social impairment hits you hardest.  A lot of people with aspergers or anxiety need to just roll with it, speak their mind, etc.. not so much with your online persona tho where it pays to be reserved and blend in.  Read the second resource til you get to the three lines he uses, very self-aware, Sheldon Cooperish lines that aren't too shabby in my experience.  Perfect material for an aspie.

There's some overlap on borderline and schizotypy, just a boring personality being presented, with no hobbies (or at best, uncommon ones).  Lack of fashion sense, even hygiene, anxiety/procrastination, reluctance to engage in group activity, personal indecisiveness, lack of awareness to social cues, and a generally defensive, unrefined mentality.  See the third and fourth points: http://www.piop.net/...t-a-girlfriend/.

I'm presently sober for job interviews, maybe that's why I don't seem like myself?

#73 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:16 AM

I wouldn't quite call it behavioral modification.  Luck simply favors the prepared.  Two candidates are interviewing at Chipotle, both asked what they know about the restaurant and why they want to work there, one says "I want to work at Chipotle because the atmosphere is great, the people are great and I love their idea of "Food with Integrity" I believe that if the food has integrity, so does the company and their people, and that's a great thing. I myself, also, love natural and organic food."  While the second says,"I know you've got a job going, and I want to work here because the food's good".  Who's more prepared?

well yes, you can prepare for a lot of things and this is how AS individuals can mask their issues some of the time (myself included), but not all the time, because when something unexpected happens and/or i have to improvise, i do it poorly, sometime even freeze.

I had a few interviews where i was sailing smoothly (and even remembered to look at people eyes) and then an oddball or curved ball question that i did not expect made me stutter, look at my shoes, and lose cool. I obviously didn't get those jobs.

Edited by jack black, 19 November 2016 - 04:20 AM.

#74 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 10:07 AM

I find the best thing is to take mental note of the tricky questions, and go into a deep think at home.  Eventually you'll stop getting new questions and know what to say.  The skill of thinking on your feet, or improvising, is also something you can develop.  You can also sometimes give a weak answer or two and still get the job, if you're well-qualified and put in a friendly follow-up call or in-person visit.

Edited by gamesguru, 19 November 2016 - 10:13 AM.

#75 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2016 - 03:03 AM

OK peeps, time for a significant update.

While i was reading about autism a while ago, i stumbled on L-Carnosine showing effects in children with autism. i put it on a shopping list (together with a dozen of other things) and finally got a delivery from amazon and tried it today. I didn't feel much different after the 1st dose at late AM, but in retrospect, i did my routine exercise with ease, had some nice sex, was very focused researching and cleaning my notes on supplements (since my memory is bad, i'm writing a detailed supplement log) and ate healthy through the day. after a second 500mg dose in PM i felt a wave of energy and started doing weight lifting that i neglected to do in years. there is no craving for food at the end of the day that i always had. the only negative is it's probably too stimulating to take later in a day.

Now, i started a few new things today as i got a bunch of new supplements. That included inositol, P5P, K2, rhodola extract, and magnolia bark. But they were spaced earlier in the day and the timing right after L-Carnosine was obvious. It could be a combination of things though. It's not a placebo BTW, I never get any placebo responses from anything, and i spend countless $$$$ (cumulatively) on things that did nothing or made me worse over those couple of years that I decided to get to the bottom of my long standing issues.

In other news, i looked again at Dr. Amen's overfocused ADD and it's a close match with my issues, too. It's possible that Dr. Amen's overfocused ADD overlaps with high functioning autism, i guess.

I'll keep you posted on my future experimentation with supplements.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • like x 1

#76 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:51 AM

i did my routine exercise with ease, had some nice sex

You really don't sound at all like you have Asperger's. You had some nice sex, seriously? I've never heard about anyone really diagnosed with Asperger's being so hypersocial and hypersexual. They don't have sex or real friends. Come on. There's a higher chance that I was misdiagnosed and am actually a sperg than the chance of you having Asperger's.

• Needs references x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • dislike x 1

#77 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

i did my routine exercise with ease, had some nice sex

You really don't sound at all like you have Asperger's. You had some nice sex, seriously? I've never heard about anyone really diagnosed with Asperger's being so hypersocial and hypersexual. They don't have sex or real friends. Come on. There's a higher chance that I was misdiagnosed and am actually a sperg than the chance of you having Asperger's.

Autism is a spectrum-disorder - and that goes for all of the symptoms, social dimensions included. Jack can have deficits in some dimensions of social functioning, but hardly any in others.

It's a highly complex disease - as you of course know, since there aren't really any medications that help, at all.

Even schizophrenia has a few drugs that does SOMETHING at least - but ASD doesn't.

With that said, I really think Jack needs to get his diagnosis confirmed by a Psychiatrist specializing in ASD - he'll have more data on his dimensional deficits and how severe his disease actually is, with that data in hand.

#78 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2016 - 01:43 PM

You had some nice sex, seriously? I've never heard about anyone really diagnosed with Asperger's being so hypersocial and hypersexual. They don't have sex or real friends. Come on. There's a higher chance that I was misdiagnosed and am actually a sperg than the chance of you having Asperger's.

You do have issues, man. Sounds like you can't get laid and are jealous. Where did I say I was hypersocial and hypersexual? FYI, AS people do get married and some are really high functioning.
  • Unfriendly x 1

#79 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

FYI, AS people do get married and some are really high functioning.

You don't have the language part of Asperger's, nor the social deficits like a reduced or lack of desire for or ability to engage socially and sexually. What DO you have? If you have ocd or restricted behavior then why not get a diagnosis of those things alone? And if you have social anxiety, welcome to the club, there're at least 700 million male members and at least twice that number of female members in this club. Are you feeling normal now, perhaps your goal is the opposite?

I suggest you go to forums for people with Asperger's and get to know how they formulate themselves and how they think. Sadly these forums have been infiltrated by hypersocial and hypersexual women who've caught onto the trend of self-diagnosing themselves. But if you ignore those idiots who clearly are not even on the spectrum then you will find that you are not at all even close to being similar to those with Asperger's. Not even close.

• Needs references x 2
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1

#80 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:39 PM

there aren't really any medications that help, at all.

i beg to differ. my experience is not isolated if you search for it. sadly there was only one study on this:

L-Carnosine, a dipeptide, can enhance frontal lobe function or be neuroprotective. It can also correlate with gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)-homocarnosine interaction, with possible anticonvulsive effects. We investigated 31 children with autistic spectrum disorders in an 8-week, double-blinded study to determine if 800 mg L-carnosine daily would result in observable changes versus placebo. Outcome measures were the Childhood Autism Rating Scale, the Gilliam Autism Rating Scale, the Expressive and Receptive One-Word Picture Vocabulary tests, and Clinical Global Impressions of Change. Children on placebo did not show statistically significant changes. After 8 weeks on L-carnosine, children showed statistically significant improvements on the Gilliam Autism Rating Scale (total score and the Behavior, Socialization, and Communication subscales) and the Receptive One-Word Picture Vocabulary test (all P < .05). Improved trends were noted on other outcome measures. Although the mechanism of action of L-carnosine is not well understood, it may enhance neurologic function, perhaps in the enterorhinal or temporal cortex.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/12585724

Sadly these forums have been infiltrated by hypersocial and hypersexual women who've caught onto the trend of self-diagnosing themselves. But if you ignore those idiots who clearly are not even on the spectrum...

sure, call me one of those idiots. i don't care. but please ignore me.

• Ill informed x 1

#81 gamesguru

• 3,467 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 08:33 PM

carnosine, bee pollen, SSRIs, and beta blockers all show some efficacy against autism.  it's not easy to mask social deficits with intellectual prowess, you have to learn a bunch of skills that come naturally to others.

as for the claim that schizotypy is not even close to aspergers.  you're wrong.  they are strikingly similar, both in how the disease present itself to outsider observers and in the subjective experience of the individual.  unless you have the very rare "schizotypal autism", or have close friends of the opposite disorder, may I ask how you came to know so much about both, as if you had in turn walked in their shoes.

#82 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:58 PM

update: day #2 on carnosine was a disaster because i tried the other supplements and took a single dose of 50mg pregnenolone. it was hailed as the single best supplement by the Self-Hacker. while reading about it, i was a bit uneasy because it stimulates NMDA, and i tend to benefit from NMDA antagonism. sure enough, i felt a creeping anxiety as soon as i took it, and carnosine (anti-NMDA) did nothing for me. I was tired and had to go to bed early. so much for pregnenolone. i may need to throw away the whole big supply (missing one capsule). if you search this forum, there was a young guy who experienced excitotoxicity brain damage after taking it for several weeks (i found it out after the fact).

today it's day#3 on carnosine. but this time i took my usual vitamins. while the AM was a bit foggy and slow for me and i had either residual effects from pregnenolone or maybe from oversleeping (see above), by noon, brain clarity returned and i feel like on some kind of miracle anti-ADHD.

sure enough, some people on ADD forum experienced the same thing: http://www.addforums...ead.php?t=67662

some people thought carnosine worked by antagonizing copper, and zinc supplements were synergistic.

i searched some more and sure enough, decreased zinc/copper ratio has been observed in autism/asperger's: http://www.ane.pl/pdf/7315.pdf

it's the Eureka moment for me.

Edited by jack black, 05 December 2016 - 09:02 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Informative x 1

#83 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:59 AM

I just realized that i have another common autistic problem. toward the end of the day, 9PM or later, my skin (especially face/ears/scalp) becomes sensitive and itchy. it's not a skin condition but generalized skin sensitivity. suddenly everything bothers me, clothes, hair, etc. the carnosine is great so far, but not helping with this.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#84 farware

• 131 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:09 AM

update: day #2 on carnosine was a disaster because i tried the other supplements and took a single dose of 50mg pregnenolone. it was hailed as the single best supplement by the Self-Hacker. while reading about it, i was a bit uneasy because it stimulates NMDA, and i tend to benefit from NMDA antagonism. sure enough, i felt a creeping anxiety as soon as i took it, and carnosine (anti-NMDA) did nothing for me. I was tired and had to go to bed early. so much for pregnenolone. i may need to throw away the whole big supply (missing one capsule). if you search this forum, there was a young guy who experienced excitotoxicity brain damage after taking it for several weeks (i found it out after the fact).

today it's day#3 on carnosine. but this time i took my usual vitamins. while the AM was a bit foggy and slow for me and i had either residual effects from pregnenolone or maybe from oversleeping (see above), by noon, brain clarity returned and i feel like on some kind of miracle anti-ADHD.

sure enough, some people on ADD forum experienced the same thing: http://www.addforums...ead.php?t=67662

some people thought carnosine worked by antagonizing copper, and zinc supplements were synergistic.

i searched some more and sure enough, decreased zinc/copper ratio has been observed in autism/asperger's: http://www.ane.pl/pdf/7315.pdf

it's the Eureka moment for me.

You know what is funny? I have not followed your post for a while, busy with other stuff but in the meantime I discovered Carnosine as well independently.. I somewhere read that Zinc-carnosine helps with healing the gut and is like a 200-fold better supplement than others for this job so that is when I tried it for the first time. Just last week I ordered some pure L-Carnosine at a higher dose (500mg) and I immediately felt somewhat different, socializing suddenly became somewhat easier during Xmas. It was a strange experience really.  

Because I react so positively to "autism supplements" (DMAE, Carnosine, Zinc ..) I am currently leaning more towards Asperger as well. I first thought it was all just caused by celiac so underwent a strict diet for a quarter but when I am under stress I really have problems identifying faces and other typical symptoms. I also have dealt with a lot of OCD this year which seems to go away now that I take Carnosine (chelation I guess?)

Anyway, be careful with not overdosing Zinc-carnosine: http://fixyourgut.co...zinc-carnosine/

.. I am now considering trying Memantine just to confirm that I react positively to specific supps, have you tried that one? I am no longer on Tianeptine due to adverse reactions. I also avoid Pregnenolone now and 5HTP does no longer seem to do much. Carnosine is like the holy grail right now 

PS Hope you had some good holidays so far.I will try to post more frequently here again

Edited by farware, 30 December 2016 - 01:10 AM.

• like x 1

#85 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

You know what is funny? I have not followed your post for a while, busy with other stuff but in the meantime I discovered Carnosine as well independently.. I somewhere read that Zinc-carnosine helps with healing the gut and is like a 200-fold better supplement than others for this job so that is when I tried it for the first time. Just last week I ordered some pure L-Carnosine at a higher dose (500mg) and I immediately felt somewhat different, socializing suddenly became somewhat easier during Xmas. It was a strange experience really.  

Because I react so positively to "autism supplements" (DMAE, Carnosine, Zinc ..) I am currently leaning more towards Asperger as well. I first thought it was all just caused by celiac so underwent a strict diet for a quarter but when I am under stress I really have problems identifying faces and other typical symptoms. I also have dealt with a lot of OCD this year which seems to go away now that I take Carnosine (chelation I guess?)

Anyway, be careful with not overdosing Zinc-carnosine: http://fixyourgut.co...zinc-carnosine/

.. I am now considering trying Memantine just to confirm that I react positively to specific supps, have you tried that one? I am no longer on Tianeptine due to adverse reactions. I also avoid Pregnenolone now and 5HTP does no longer seem to do much. Carnosine is like the holy grail right now 

PS Hope you had some good holidays so far.I will try to post more frequently here again

Could you elaborate on these adverse reactions to Tianeptine? Very rarely do I see people mentioning adverse reactions to Tia - it seems to generally be very well-tolerated.

Memantine seems like a good idea to try next - just remember that there are always several days worth of adjustment to dosages - any time you change the dose, up or down, you'll feel like sh*t and get brain-fog - so it's important to really, really give it a fair shot.

Btw, did you see that post I made, regarding the fact that they found out how the body regulates neural impulses via glutamate-modulation? I've got this suspicion that Autism, mainly because of the sensory issues, is related to this - that glutamate-modulation could be the key towards figuring it out.

It kind of makes sense - since the super-strong selective non-competitive NMDA-antagonist NITRO-memantine actually showed effect on autistic rats.

#86 Hip

• 2,392 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:10 PM

The magnesium + vitamin B6 combo can helpful in autism-spectrum disorders. If you want to take high doses of magnesium (which is a calming mineral, due to its NMDA receptor antagonism), you can try applying transdermal magnesium cream from head to toe (you cannot take high doses of magnesium orally, as it causes bowel flushing at doses higher than around 500 mg).

Brain inflammation appears to be involved in autism, and so supplements which reduce brain inflammation may help. I myself was able to eliminate my severe generalized anxiety disorder by taking supplements that decrease neuroinflammation. Many of the supplements I list on this thread and this thread I believe work by reducing brain inflammation. The anxiety symptoms often found in autism may also be due to such brain inflammation.

Supplements that reduce gut inflammation can also reduce brain inflammation (since gut inflammation is transmitted to the brain via the vagus nerve). Probiotics, prebiotics and supplements like Saccharomyces boulardii can help reduce gut inflammation. Autistic patients often have gut issues.

The GABA-A receptor is down-regulated in autism, therefore supplements that can help increase GABA-A receptor expressions may well help:

GABA receptor (or GABA binding site) density upregulation: 

Kava kava root (Piper methysticum)
Magnolol (extract from Magnolia officinalis)    
Fasoracetam (NS-105)
Bacopa monnieri (take on empty stomach) 

I'd suggest 300 mg of kava root taken once or twice daily as a good one to start with. Activation of the GABAergic system creates mental calmness. 

Dave Whitlock has a theory autism is underpinned by low nitric oxide levels in the blood. As a neurotransmitter, nitric oxide is involved in a number of behaviors, including maternal bonding to an infant. You can raise nitric oxide levels by increasing dietary nitrates. This can be done by drinking beetroot juice, which has high levels of nitrates (these dietary nitrates will also help control high blood pressure, incidentally). 

Oxytocin injections or nasal spray can help autism. You can buy the oxytocin peptide on many websites which supply injectable body-building hormones and peptides.

Edited by Hip, 30 December 2016 - 10:15 PM.

#87 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:42 PM

The magnesium + vitamin B6 combo can helpful in autism-spectrum disorders. If you want to take high doses of magnesium (which is a calming mineral, due to its NMDA receptor antagonism), you can try applying transdermal magnesium cream from head to toe (you cannot take high doses of magnesium orally, as it causes bowel flushing at doses higher than around 500 mg).

Brain inflammation appears to be involved in autism, and so supplements which reduce brain inflammation may help. I myself was able to eliminate my severe generalized anxiety disorder by taking supplements that decrease neuroinflammation. Many of the supplements I list on this thread and this thread I believe work by reducing brain inflammation. The anxiety symptoms often found in autism may also be due to such brain inflammation.

Supplements that reduce gut inflammation can also reduce brain inflammation (since gut inflammation is transmitted to the brain via the vagus nerve). Probiotics, prebiotics and supplements like Saccharomyces boulardii can help reduce gut inflammation. Autistic patients often have gut issues.

The GABA-A receptor is down-regulated in autism, therefore supplements that can help increase GABA-A receptor expressions may well help:

GABA receptor (or GABA binding site) density upregulation: 

Kava kava root (Piper methysticum)
Magnolol (extract from Magnolia officinalis)    
Fasoracetam (NS-105)
Bacopa monnieri (take on empty stomach) 

I'd suggest 300 mg of kava root taken once or twice daily as a good one to start with. Activation of the GABAergic system creates mental calmness. 

Dave Whitlock has a theory autism is underpinned by low nitric oxide levels in the blood. As a neurotransmitter, nitric oxide is involved in a number of behaviors, including maternal bonding to an infant. You can raise nitric oxide levels by increasing dietary nitrates. This can be done by drinking beetroot juice, which has high levels of nitrates (these dietary nitrates will also help control high blood pressure, incidentally). 

Oxytocin injections or nasal spray can help autism. You can buy the oxytocin peptide on many websites which supply injectable body-building hormones and peptides.

I think these are good suggestions, however I just want to note a few things.

1) Magnesium-L-Threonate is more selective than other Mag-compounds, I would know - I was doing HEROIC dosing. I'm currently on Magnesium-citrate, and I've already noticed the looser stool which comes with it - I had NO such issues when on MagLT - and I was doing 3,3 grams worth of it. (5 caps a day) MagLT can be dosed at higher dosages, and will cause more competitive NMDA-antagonism. I hardly noticed a thing though - which gives credence towards NMDA-dysfunction being involved in ADHD as well, I suppose. Be prepared to go HEROIC autistic friends - if I'm the measure, then you must NOT fear to go high - otherwise you may not notice anything either.

2) Fasoracetam upregulates GABA-B, not gaba-a.
Is it really adviceable to upregulate the WRONG Gaba-receptor? Are we certain that Autists don't have already massively upregulated Gaba-B, as a result of the brain trying to compensate for the lacking Gaba-A? What do we know about the Gaba-B-receptor in Autists?

Effect of a novel cognition enhancer NS-105 on learned helplessness in rats: possible involvement of GABA(B) receptor up-regulation after repeated treatment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/9424016

EDIT WHILE WRITING:

Oh, wait, turns out Autists have massively down-regulated GABA-B-receptors too - apparently they're the reason for the increased sensitivity to seizures some Autists display.

Well, seems like Fasoracetam is a pretty good idea then! = )

Expression of GABAB receptors is altered in brains of subjects with autism

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2732344/

Decreases in GABAB receptor subunits may help explain the presence of seizures that are often comorbid with autism, as well as cognitive difficulties prevalent in autism.

#88 Hip

• 2,392 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:55 PM

2) Fasoracetam upregulates GABA-B, not gaba-a.

Whoops, my mistake. I did not realize that fasoracetam up-regulates GABA-B receptors.

But as you discovered, up-regulating GABA-B receptors may also be useful in autism. 

For increasing GABA-B-ergic effects, though, it may be better to take the GABA-B agonist baclofen, which is cheap (and does not have the same tolerance and addiction issues as GABA-A-ergic drugs like benzodiazepines). It seems that baclofen can be helpful for autism.

#89 PeaceAndProsperity

• 1,194 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:13 PM

For increasing GABA-B-ergic effects, though, it may be better to take the GABA-B agonist baclofen, which is cheap (and does not have the same tolerance and addiction issues as GABA-A-ergic drugs like benzodiazepines).

https://en.wikipedia...drawal_syndrome

Hey, kids, wanna try schizophrenia?

"Withdrawal symptoms may include auditory hallucinationsvisual hallucinationstactile hallucinationsdelusionsconfusionagitationdeliriumdisorientation, fluctuation of consciousness, insomniadizziness (feeling faint), nausea, inattention, memory impairments, perceptual disturbances, pruritus/itching, anxietydepersonalizationhypertoniahyperthermiaformal thought disorderpsychosismania, mood disturbances, restlessness, and behavioral disturbances, tachycardiaseizurestremorsautonomic dysfunctionhyperpyrexia (fever), extreme muscle rigidity resembling neuroleptic malignant syndrome and rebound spasticity.[15][16]"

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#90 Hip

• 2,392 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:19 PM

I had NO such issues when on MagLT - and I was doing 3,3 grams worth of it. (5 caps a day) MagLT can be dosed at higher dosages, and will cause more competitive NMDA-antagonism.

I have yet to try magnesium-L-threonate. But when my generalized anxiety disorder was severe, I used to apply a saturated solution of Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) from on my body skin head to toe once or twice daily, and this did help reduce the anxiety levels a bit. By contrast, magnesium that I took orally had no noticeable effect on my anxiety symptoms, because the maximum dose that you can achieve orally is too low. You get much more magnesium into your body from transdermal application. 

You can use magnesium cream (magnesium chloride) or a solution of Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) for transdermal magnesium application. I use Epsom salts because it is cheap, and I find it does not itch (whereas magnesium cream makes my skin slightly itchy, I find). 

Edited by Hip, 30 December 2016 - 11:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users