• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

1st Isr ImmInst/WTA Mtng Jan27 10.30 BIU

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:52 PM

Hi, All.

I am delighted to invite you to the first informal Israeli ImmInst/WTA meeting on

JANUARY 27, FRIDAY, 10.30 IN THE MORNING

BAR-ILAN UNIVERSITY
THE SCHOTTENSTEIN CENTER FOR CELLOME RESEARCH (TEVA 214 BUILDING)
GROUND FLOOR

This building is near “Shaar Gea” (the bus stop to Bar-Ilan from kvish gea) – next to the Technology Building and Cancer Research building. If you would like to drive in, you can enter Bar-Ilan through “Shaar Harechev” (entrance to BI from Keren Hayesod St., Givat Shmuel), but please e-mail me beforehand your car license number to: ilia.stambler@gmail.com, so I can make an entrance permit for the car.

Refreshments will be served.

Hope to see you, Ilia.

W: 03-534-46-75 / 531-83-49 (tel at the Schottenstein Center, where it will take place).

#2 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:42 AM

Excellent!

To help follow the history of the organization of this event, here's the original thread: http://www.imminst.o...ST&f=181&t=8332

#3 ilia

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:14 PM

Hi, everybody. Thanks to all who have taken interest in this event.

I wish to report on the meeting that took place yesterday. Other participants are welcome to correct me, add or emphasize anything that may have been missed.

Despite the fact that personal notes have been sent to over 40 Israeli members of the Immortality Institute and World Transhumanist Association – 7 persons attended this first meeting.

Still, this meeting may have been an important achievement and a good start for future development. The avid discussion that preceded it and the establishment of a quite extensive Israeli Immortalist/Transhumanist network, may be considered among its major accomplishments.

The meeting itself provided a great opportunity to meet all the wonderful people whom we previously knew only by their nicknames and forum postings:

Adi Berman, a high-school student , whom we all know and love made the great effort to come to a distant part of the country to attend this meeting. She also had to miss school – which was almost unavoidable, as Israeli schools work Sundays through Fridays, and on Saturdays there is no public transportation or public services whatsoever. Without her, this meeting couldn’t have taken place. Thanks, Adi!

Adi’s father, Mr. Berman, who kindly agreed to bring Adi to this meeting.
From a short acquaintance with this kind gentleman, it was nice to learn that Mr. Berman believes that radical life extension is desirable and possible (though perhaps not in our life-time) which definitely qualifies him as an immortalist.

Oded Tshesly, a student of cognitive sciences and philosophy of science at Tel Aviv University, and an active member of the World Transhumanist Association. In his introduction, Oded raised the issue of the mind/substrate relation. It could be only hoped that this and similar related issues could be the subject of our future open friendly discussions. Thanks!

Daniel Stein, a business school graduate now entering a medical school, and the winner of the ImmInst essay contest, whom most of us know for his brilliant scholarly posts and essays. His translating and original writing endeavor continues, and we should all look forward to its results. Adi’s and Daniel’s translations can be found in the Hebrew section of the WTA website, and presently they constitute its only content.

Olga Plutsker, a linguist and an artist. Her perception of immortality is of a more humanistic and spiritual tendency. She is a vigorous health enthusiast and animal care activist, and a very kind, helpful, and energetic person. Thanks for coming.

Myself, Ilia Stambler, working as a technical writer at the Biophysical Schottenstein Center for Cellome Research, and studying for a PhD at Bar Ilan History of Science Department (thesis subject: life-extensionism). It was my great privilege to help organizing this meeting, and I truly hope there will be other meetings, where we could not only discuss plans for future outreach, but also make our group into an open club where we could discuss topical/ideological issues relevant to immortalism and transhumanism (which might be of less emphasis in other health improvement groups) – perhaps to act as a “miniature local off-line” cell of ImmInst/WTA.

Lior Homen, a computer expert and fitness instructor. Thanks for taking such an active part in this meeting. We may perhaps all agree with Lior’s programmatic suggestions, considering the group’s goals: to increase public awareness of life extension, to cooperate with international and local organizations, with the aim of achieving a significant life-extension within our life time; as also considering the means to that purpose, such as gathering and dissemination of educational/ promotional resources, and the “marketing-like” specific audience-oriented approach.

The possible ways to achieve these objectives, as was suggested, could be through the internet (by creating a special Hebrew site or a stronger contribution to Israeli sections of ImmInst and WTA), a series of conventions/meetings (whose future content needs determining), as well as possible involvement in partnerships, including an attempt to receive sponsorship. Some controversy arouse as to a possible name of our group, that would sound well and acceptable in Hebrew.

Among the more immediate things to do, it was suggested to create a more comprehensive contact list, and gather resources for future meetings or the sites.

Then we took pictures of ourselves (some of which are attached below, except for Oded and Adi who didn’t wish their photos to be posted).

It is deeply regrettable that many people were not able to attend: David (who is now in India), Danny (who now has to be in the reserve service), Alex (who lives too far away), Eli, Frida, Diza, Ido, Buga, Indi, Gil, Noam, and all the others. We missed you guys!

Hopefully, there will be other meetings, though we should probably choose a more suitable day and time and define the agenda beforehand. But the very fact that we just met is already great!

Thanks again to all who attended or took interest.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 ilia

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:16 PM

Daniel

Attached Files

#5 ilia

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:24 PM

Mr. Berman's photo has been removed.

Edited by ilia, 29 January 2006 - 02:17 PM.

#6 ilia

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:28 PM

Olga

Attached Files

#7 ilia

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:32 PM

Ilia

Attached Files

#8 ilia

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:36 PM

Lior

Infernity's Note: I have edited out the photo as Lior's request.

Edited by infernity, 06 April 2006 - 11:53 AM.

#9 alex83

• 119 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:11 PM

Ilia, thank you for the very informative report. I think that the fact that this meeting took place is great! [thumb]

#10 Blablaman

• 39 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:37 PM

Great report, Ilia. [thumb] I'm happy to see this meeting took place and I really hope there will be more meetings for which I'll dedicate extra effort in order to attend.

I wonder if you(or any other participant) intends to publish a more detailed "log" of the meeting, so that those of us who could not attend will be able to add their thoughts to the questions that were raised.

See you in the next meeting(hopefully),
Eli.

#11 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,981 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:31 PM

Great job organizing the meeting Ilia! Thanks for posting some pictures. It is nice to see other Imminst members. I think seven members is a good turn-out for a first time meeting.

#12 seeker_of_time

• 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:53 PM

Thanks Ilia!

First, I'm really glad it took place!
Second, I think it's a big step toward a new group in our society ^^.
I hope Transhumanists & ImmInst members will join forces in order to make things happen from now on.

#13 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:34 PM

Its been great meeting everyone and I'm looking forward to work on aour mutual goals.
Ilia, thanks again for hosting the event.
We had a log of the meeting (Infernity has it) so it should be posted.

#14 Trias

• 270 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:34 PM

The meeting was great! -I had great fun (despite the lack of sleep in the previous night), seeing all these people for the first time proved to be an amazing experience. Special kudos to Lior for his great initiative and leadership demonstration, and also for Ilia for organizing the whole thing!

That photo of mine is pure murder, but oh well ;-)

Looking forward to many more.

#15 Bruce Klein

• Guardian Founder
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:41 AM

Truly historic!

Thanks for the pictures. Please know ImmInst Leadership will reimburse
up to $50 for this event. Also ImmInst may sponsor future events of this
kind either in Israel or by other groups elsewhere.

Feel free to contact me bjk@imminst.org with ideas/questions/suggestions/etc.

• Lurker

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:18 PM

Great stuff! Thank you for sharing.

#17 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:44 PM

WOAH ILIA TAKE OFF MY DAD'S PHOTO PLEASE [!] thanks.

-Infernity

#18 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:51 PM

OK now, the meeting went great, I appreciate all those who came to the meeting, it went much better than I expected, I was pretty nervous things won't work, and I must say that even dad thinks it was good, so if he says ;) ... it was.

Anyway, Ilia can you send me please the photos I appear in? I'll post them on the full members forum, along with a couple of photos that include us all but Oded and my father.

I'll post all of what as been written soon.

Hope to see the rest next time :)

-Infernity

#19 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:33 PM

Thank you Ilia.

Anyhow, full-members... http://www.imminst.o...5&t=9163&hl=&s= access this.

Have got my dad's permission, Caliban ;))

-Infernity

#20 apaxmec

• 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:07 PM

Indeed, it is a pity that more where unable to come.
Specifically me.
I have been receiving your mail in my junk folder and am confidant that this is true of others.
Good to hear you met up though, well done.

#21 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:10 PM

guys, I'm waiting for the followup we disscussed. lets go. I need my LE.

#22 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:24 PM

Israeli WTA/ImmInst Conference

Goals:

[>] Increase public awareness of Life Extension
[>] Cooperate with world organizations
[>] Achieve Life Extension within my lifetime!

Means:

[>] Educational/Promotional resources
[>] Marketing - goal oriented targeted

Methods:

[>] Internet
[>] Conventions, meetings
[>] Business
[>] Partnerships

-Create a website - domain.il
Content:
[>] For the laymen
[>] Written as for marketing
[>] With links for reference

Relations*:
[>] WTA - Oded
[>] ImmInst- Adi, Ilia
[>] òîåúä ìòéëåá úäìéëé äæã÷ðåú
[>] Avanc... - Lior

Meetings:
[>] Create Itinerary using given resources
[>] Create marketing plan
[>] Operational Planning (place, speakers, equipment, pamphlets etc)

Branding:
[>] Name
[>] Mission statement

-Infernity

#23 ilia

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:06 PM

I just wish to add, that all this can be a great programmatic outline. But I personally would chill a little. It looks like we are running for Knesset. We are not that big yet. Also the word “marketing” may induce strong negative connotations. Perhaps we should place a stronger emphasis on building our community by topical friendly discussions.

#24 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:47 PM

I fail to see how do topical friendly discussions, however plesent, help us to attain our goals.

#25 dannybelkin

• 30 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:42 PM

While I was not present at the meeting, it seems to me from the minutes that both of you are emphasising different aspects of our activities -
Establishing regular meetings and having presentations and discussion on relevant topics is of high importance to any society, especially one as small as ours. Furthermore, this, in addition to a website and this forum, will become the cornerstone for our operation: meetings are where new people who want to join, regular members, or simply curious members of the public who have heard about us (this relates to the other important point) will come. So this will initially be of crucial importance to the members of our group.
Second, what is termed "marketing" in the minutes (perhaps not the best name as we're not selling anything) - initially consisting of "spreading the word", getting information out in israeli media of all types regarding who we are, our agenda, and most importantly what we believe in and why it is important to people everywhere. This is the our public face, and is equally important if we want to grow and prosper.
So, as I'm sure Bruce can tell us, we need to organize a functioning comittee with defined roles, i.e. someone in charge of meetings, lectures and discussion, another in charge of public relations including website construction, treasurer etc. etc.

Danny

#26 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:40 AM

àéìéä, àå òãé, úîç÷å àú äúîåðåú ùìé, ëé äøåìã ä***÷ îôéõ àåúí áøùú.
òëùéå äáðú ìîä òæáúé àú äî÷åí äæä?
àîøúé ìê, àé àôùø ìñîåê òì äàðùéí ôä. åöã÷úé.

Infernity's Note: Lior, I have edited the invective. The fact non but us can understand, does not mean it is allowed to denounce.

Edited by infernity, 06 April 2006 - 11:57 AM.

#27 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:58 AM

ìîä ùéòùä ãáø ëæä? ãéáøú àéúå?.. àðé ìà îáéðä

-Infernity

#28 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:34 PM

ìîé àëôú? îä àðé çå÷ø ôñéëåôèéí?
ôùåè úîç÷é àú æä.
ìéãéòúê äåà âí ðëðñ ìàáàðè òí îùúîùéí ùåðéí åú÷ó ëì îéðé àðùéí áöåøä îëåòøú ìôðé ùòìå ìòìéå
áèéøåó ùìå òí ìééóîéøàæ' äåà ðäéä éåúø âøåò îäàéð÷åéæöéä

#29 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:36 PM

PS îé ùéùúîù ìøòä úáîåðåú ùìé áäçìè î÷áì àú äæëåú ìäé÷øà îðéé÷ åéåúø âøåò îæä.

#30 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:16 PM

èåá äáðúé. äãéåï äæä ôä îéåúø òëùéå.

çåõ îæä, éù îùäå ùàðé éëåìä ìòùåú?

-Infernity
òãé áøîï

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users