Photo
- - - - -

Kinda OT/exercises of the mind

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 vegeto

• 21 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:06 PM

Forgive me if there is another thread for this....
This is not a nootropic question or conversation, so it is sort of out of topic, but I post it here because I want to stay within the context of nootropics and what activities we are using nootropics to supplement. (steroids are used with lifting weights, running, football...ect....) Notropics are used with __________________________________________________?

I would like to compile a list of exercises we use for the mind when taking nootropics, (for those of us that do exercises).

My contribution to start with is this-

lucid Dreaming and exercises within lucid dreams
I have found several interesting exercises in the book 'Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming' http://www.amazon.co...glance&n=283155 which I have found very intelectually stimulating and just plain exciting. Some of which include searching for 'the highest' or 'god' in your dream to see what depths you will come up with... Another I find interesting is comunicating with dream charactors and solving psychological issues with them. I also have recently considered the posibility of performing some kind of 'Image Streaming' within a lucid dream. I find ZMA to be an exelent supplement to lucid dreaming, and I believe that theoretically racetams also help with connecting parts of the brain involved in dream and awareness.

Image Streaming This one is new to me, so I don't have any resources on it yet, but there is alot of information out there if you google it. I find both image streaming and lucid dreaming to theoretically be a very good combination with racetams because of the brain hemisphere connecting benefits to both the exercises and nootropics combined.

Meditation and eastern medicine Eastern medicine usually involves connecting the body to the mind and using the body as an erergy conductor to power the mind and spirit. When the body is exercised, the mind has better health to draw on. Meditation, can come in many forms, some of which include 'Zen Koans' (attempting to solve an impossible riddle until the spontanious 'in the zone' 'Zen' condition is achieved).... Also emptying the 'thinking mind' so focus on energy can be more readily achived, while the energy is used then to fuel the focus and emptying of mind ( a perfect cirlcle ). Thoretically Any nootropic that enhances focus, creativity, and/or energy would be beneficial to meditation and/or eastern medicine practice. Also, nootropics that produce a 'relaxed' state would also be beneficial.

Studying anatomy of body and mind Just the study of anatomy can be a difficult mind exercise because anatomy is very complex, but also the results of understanding anatomy assist most other exercises that require understanding. I have some cheap anatomy software that I recomend for beginners 'Explore Human anatomy' Professional Edition' http://www.academics...&qk_srch=719353 but for more advanced understanding, I have just ordered 'A.D.A.M. Interactive Anatomy 4.0 Student Edition' http://www.venturaes.com/ , I cannot comment yet on the quality.

Studying the bible (especially New testement) I won't go into it in detail, as I am sure that some people will not be interested.

That's all I have for now, please contribute, I am looking forward to learning more about what can be done for the mind that nootropics will supplement. Especially if anyone has a greater understanding for which nootropics work best in conjuction with which exercises for the best possible gain. PLEASE CONTRIBUTE ANY RELEVENT INFORMATION BIG OR SMALL! Free Speach and exchange of information!!!!! Hopefully we can create a big list to draw on for our personal reasearch!

Edited by vegeto, 17 January 2006 - 03:53 AM.

• Informative x 1

#2 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:24 PM

This is pretty useful, but I know nothing of nootropics.

I've learned that studying material or studying a counterargument (during a debate) is best done just before you partake of cardio exercise. While walking,jogging, etc. you have a lot of time to think, and the blood flow to the brain is excellent. This way you can mull over your problem, and really tap your intuition.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 exigentsky

• 262 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 11:47 PM

Chess.

#4 ganelon

• 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:08 AM

Ambidexterity. I'm right-handed, so the script of my left hand looks retarded. At least it used to. I write almost exclusively with my left hand now, as a matter of training, and draw with it as well - which was, in the beginning, a thoroughly challenging experience...Like my brain was screaming trying to get it right. Stimulates the creative faculty. I read somewhere once that in chimpanzee brains the areas with the least hemispheric communication were the ones associated with the hands, presumably to promote the independance of the limbs...

What is interesting about anatomy is the incredible complexity and scope of information that is readily available for assimilation. Everything you learn corresponds to something you already understand. Additionally, it's great knowledge to lug about for a lifetime.

Mnemonics/memory games seem to work well with nootropics. Memory like flypaper.

Novelty is generally an all around good challenge: What ever you're worst at. The unfamiliar. Opposite novelty is specialization. Prepatory books for the L-SAT are a good source for entertaining logic problems. Boolean algebra is fun too. Supplementation helps more generally with skill-as-fetish/multifariousness.

Games. Strategy games, board games, war games. Chess, bridge, scrabble, risk. A hexagonal pc chess game called hexodus was demanding. The games that SSI used to publish out could get moderately high grade. Don't know much about modern pc games. Anyway, who didn't, as a child, fall asleep while thinking about chess? A good place to be.

An engaging, acrobatic, and involved conversation can be extremely stimulating.
I've noticed that nootropics can affect this appreciably. Utility seeps into the banal complexities of social dynamics.

Agreement with QJones' on cardio. Study until sick of studying, then taking a walk to assimilate/arrange the information, or plan for the future.

#5 vegeto

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:07 AM

Good list so far,. Posted Image and thanks for contributing.

Some thing else I find challenging;

Giving up habits I know it seems kind of simplistic, but a great mental exercise is to take an old habit and just quit. The older the habit, the more challenging. Of course the best habits to quit are things like smoking, or habitually watching tv... but any habit will do if it is old, negetive, and will present a challenge. For anybody who has never smoked, I recommend taking up smoking for a couple of years so you can learn to quit. <----NO, I DON'T REALLY MEAN THAT! [lol] But it still makes a great exercise, or give up tv, give up sex, or give up all forms of media..... whatever. While 'fasting' from your normal habit, pay attention to the process your mind goes through as it attempts to convince you that you should partake in your old habits again. Develop strategies for keeping your intention steadfast and true. It can get pretty difficult IMO, especially when you have given up many habits over the course of a couple years and you haven't much else to do but study, work out, and whatever else you replace your habits with.

#6 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:39 PM

Alternatively, exercising your willpower is an excellent activity as well. Put out a bowl of chocolate raisins in your house, and DON'T eat them. Reward yourself, however, periodically. The reward will help give motivation, but building willpower is an excellent activity.

#7 tracer

• 150 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:42 PM

Dive reflex training

Learning to play a musical instrument

Playing a reflex-driven sport like squash, especially with your weaker hand.

Performing complex sequenced physical activities (karate kata, capoeira, dancing)

First person shooters, especially deathmatch with challenging opponents.

Brain entrainment.

Electro-cranial stimulation.

Tantric sex.

Okay, the last one's more just for fun :)

#8 the big b

• 146 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:10 PM

I too am interested in exercises of the mind, I did quite a bit of searching, and most things I found were nothing more than novel actions that provided no real exercise for the brain in t he hopes of making it faster, or larger. Here is the full report on what I've found:

Juggle & Brush your teeth with your non-dominant hand.

#9 vegeto

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:08 PM

I too am interested in exercises of the mind, I did quite a bit of searching, and most things I found were nothing more than novel actions that provided no real exercise for the brain in t he hopes of making it faster, or larger. Here is the full report on what I've found:

Juggle & Brush your teeth with your non-dominant hand.

Well, I never have been able to juggle... IT'S NOT EASY! [ang] [lol]

#10 kevink

• 184 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

Had to throw a one-off into this mix -

Tibetan Buddhism meditation. If you are so inclined to spend a few months getting the basics down, it's really great for rapidly shifting points of view and focus (big as a planet and then sub-atomic in an instant). And when you get "it" down", you learn that you've been visualizing the "easy” way - and the real way is extremely more detailed than the things you were struggling with. It could easily fill a lifetime.

I've seen 80 something year old men leading 100's of people for hours long recitations...from memory! At that age, they crack jokes and are very quick mentally, so I think something can be learned from their regimen. These guys study and debate complex philosophy and scientific implications until the very end.

I suppose I second the notion of exploring meditative techniques to promote proper mental health and stimulation...which thereby promote longevity.

#11 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:35 AM

Vegeto, have actually tried Image Streaming. It is really amazing. I would suggest keeping it distinct from Lucid Dreaming work until you are proficient in both. Just get yourself a tape recorder and follow Win's instructions. I think you will be shocked.

#12 vegeto

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:20 AM

Sounds amazing! I have heard that Tibetan budism is the most difficult to find good instruction or good information on, (as opposed to Indian and Chinese budism). I've never actually searched for an instructor or for books on it myself though, any that you reccomend KevinK?

Lynx,
Yes, I plan exporing image streaming a little further for myself. I'll take your advice on not mixing it with lucid dreaming until I become more proficient with it on its own... I'm scared off by tapes though, I don't trust anybody not to use subliminal messaging.

#13 the big b

• 146 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:11 PM

I don't trust anybody not to use subliminal messaging.

I have the exact same feelings, I don't trust videos, but I enjoy reading anyway.

I thought about image streaming at one point, but I've heard that it can 'destroy' your attention span, with a severe wandering mind being on the of the results. I can't remember where I read that, might have been wikipedia.

And I've seen a TON about meditation being great for increasing gray matter, infact when I searched for ways of increasing gray matter, the only 3 results were Meditation, Juggling, & Lithium.

#14 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:35 PM

Sounds amazing!  I have heard that Tibetan budism is the most difficult to find good instruction or good information on, (as opposed to Indian and Chinese budism).  I've never actually searched for an instructor or for books on it myself though, any that you reccomend KevinK? 

Lynx,
Yes, I plan exporing image streaming a little further for myself.  I'll take your advice on not mixing it with lucid dreaming until I become more proficient with it on its own...  I'm scared off by tapes though, I don't trust anybody not to use subliminal messaging.

The tape is to record your image stream onto. One of the keys to image streaming is that there must be a reciever for your spoken aloud stream. A live person works best, but you can do quite well with just a tape recorder.

#15 tracer

• 150 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:12 PM

Lithium? Hmmm... how's that work?

#16 the big b

• 146 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:47 PM

Lithium?  Hmmm... how's that work?

I have no idea how it works, but simply that low doses of Lithium Orotate can be used to increase gray matter over time with it's anti-psychotic and liver damaging qualities removed.

Ask someone on the forum who takes it, I know someone on here does.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 vegeto

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:34 PM

The tape is to record your image stream onto. One of the keys to image streaming is that there must be a reciever for your spoken aloud stream. A live person works best, but you can do quite well with just a tape recorder.

Oh, great. Yes I've read about that before actually. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users