• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

The Distinction Between Subjective And Objective

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Aegist

• Guest Shane
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 03:00 AM

Subjective
Objective

The single most important distinction to be understood before any philosophical discussion is entered.

Loosely termed, objectivity is 'not influenced by personal beliefs or feelings; based on real facts ', while subjectivity is 'influenced by or based on personal beliefs or feelings, rather than based on facts'

But I am not here to talk about the loosely defined daily usages of these words. I am here to talk about the philosophical implications of the two world views. When I do this, I mean subjective to be 'that which is experienced or perceived' and objective to be 'that which is externally real and absolutely true'.

After much thought, I have come to accept that there must be an objective world. There must be, because the objective state is simply a description (to use a subjective term) of how things are. If there is something (anything), then there is an objective reality to that thing. Even if the entire universe is idealistic (ie: existing only in your mind), then it is objectively true that the universe only exists in your mind. This is an objective reality. Reality = Objective. Objective = How things are. If there are things, then there is an objective universe.

Accepting the reality of Objective truth, we are then thrust into the world of subjectivity.

We are subjective things. We objectively 'exist' (in some sense of the word exist), but every experience we have, every memory, every thought, every belief, is entirely subjective. There is nothing objective in any of our thoughts/experiences. There is an objective truth which can be stated about those thoughts, but the thoughts themselves are not objectively true. They are subjective.

EG: *I think that building is 543m tall
*Shane thinks that that building is 543m tall
The first is my subjective belief (a belief which I have derived from my interactions with what I assume to be the objective world), the second is a possible objective statement about my thoughts (though since we don't ahve contact with the objective, even this must necessarily be made subjectively in an attempt to simulate a possible objective truth.)
*The matter referred to by the subjectively defined term 'Building' has spatial qualities about it which makes it take up an amount of space, the length of which could be equated to the subjective measurement of metres, and that length would be 542.546656524785318472.... exactly.
And this third case could be a possible objective truth about the building.

When people talk about beliefs being 'true' for each individual, they mean that the beliefs are subjectively true. Subjective truth has no bearing at all on objective truth. Objective truth may have direct bearings on subjective truth (though not necessarily).

Subjectivity is a manifestation* of the objective universe. (and not the other way around)

Relevence of 'Our Subjective Reality' Vs 'THE Objective Reality'.
The above assertion that each of our subjective realities takes on a back seat to the objective reality is a funny thing because as true as i believe it to be, the fact is, we are subjective things. We do not actually have direct contact with the objective universe necessarily, and so our only reality, is each of our individual subjective realities.

While Subjectivity may only be a consequence of the objective reality, without our subjective views, there would be know knowledge of the objective reality. This is not actually important, but to us subjective creatures, its seems pretty important to us.

My Subjective reality is just one of the 6 billion realities on this little planet, but without it, the objective universe is completely irrelevent to me.

What I am trying to spell out here, is that there is simply no way of saying 'Objective' is best, or 'Subjective is most important' etc, because the fact is, without objective, there is no subjective. And without subjective, there is no realisation of the objective. (Do remember though, u can have objective without subjective, but u cannot have subjective without objective.)

-------

Real World Implications
What does this mean in regard to 'The Pursuit of Truth'? Well, it means that the pursuit of truth is simply that, a pursuit of truth (truth being objectivity), without any possible chance of ever catching it. Unless the Universe is a Lifegazeresque Idealistic universe where the objective reality is that everything is a mind, and that mind is capable of knowing itself, there is no way that individual realms of subjective reality will ever be able to know objective reality. Subjective realities will only ever be able to asymptotically approach objective truths, forever refining their techniques and methods for understanding their subjective interfaces with the objective.

While our current science works on the assumption that our subjective realities are closely based on the objective world, this may not be the case. But even if it isn't, it will still be possible to elicit facts about the objective universe, simply because it is objective. (IMO)

--------

*Manifestation may not be the right word (it just sounds like it is). I can't think of a better word though, so if anyone can tell me the word which would get across the point that Subjectivity exists only because the objective universe has properties about it, which allows subjectivity to occur.

Prove me wrong, I might learn something.

Edited by Another God, 26 February 2003 - 03:01 AM.

#2 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 04:04 AM

interesting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users