Photo
- - - - -

5-htp and klonopin

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smolhouse

• 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:57 PM

I have been taking 100 mg of 5-htp before bed monday - friday of last week. My friend has a perscription for klonopin and i took .5 mg saturday and sunday night to compare affects. I did not notice much of a difference between the two and want to switch back to 5-htp, but i have read that it is not good to combine 5-htp with an ssri. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how long i should wait before the klonopin will be out of my system and i can return to my normal dose of 100mg of 5-htp before bed? Is taking it for so short of a time period not going to make a difference?

I am also taking the following daily:

2400 mg fish oil (720mg EPA, 480mg DHA)

45 mg Idebenone

250 mg Bacopa (50% Bacosides)

100 mg R-Alpha Lipoic Acid

500 mg Rhodiola Rosea (3% rosavins, 1% salidrodise)

200 mg L-theanine

NSI Synergy Multivitamin version 9

I guess I should also mention I am a 20 year old male.

#2 meatwad

• 196 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:30 PM

I am understanding that you believe klonopin is an SSRI -- it is not, it is a long acting anti anxiety medication acting primarily on the GABA system. You could combine the two but many people believe the consistent use of "hardcore" GABA modulators to be a negative, due to the fact of neurotransmitter regulation. A common side effect could be feeling anxious at a time when you would normally feel carefree.

You question of when you can resume dosing 5-htp is anytime you feel like it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 bacchus26

• 26 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:12 AM

Klonopin is not an SSRI, it's a sedative in the benzodiazepine family (similar to Valium). If you are interested in enhancing your brain activity via nootropic routes then you should avoid these kinds of drugs like the plague since they are essentially like handcuffs for the mind. Not to mention highly addicting. The few times I've tried klonopin I noticed some disturbing side effects like long blackout periods and violent tendencies. Bad stuff IMO if your ultimate goal is neuro-chemical enhancement.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 power.bulls.x

• 115 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 05:22 PM

Klonopin is not an SSRI, it's a sedative in the benzodiazepine family (similar to Valium). If you are interested in enhancing your brain activity via nootropic routes then you should avoid these kinds of drugs like the plague since they are essentially like handcuffs for the mind. Not to mention highly addicting. The few times I've tried klonopin I noticed some disturbing side effects like long blackout periods and violent tendencies. Bad stuff IMO if your ultimate goal is neuro-chemical enhancement.

i agree.
just wondering about amino gaba acid sups + picamilon.

1) GABA amino acid sups cross th BBB + it may increase HGH. witch seems to be not that bad for brain enhancing purpose.
2) GABA Makes Old Brains Act Young Again:http://www.webmd.com/content/article/64/72348.htm

Should i use GABA ??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users