Photo

Cloning

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2003 - 06:21 PM

I watched the streaming video with Gregory Pence, Jose Cibelli, Philip Kitcher, etc. I must say that I was not very impressed with Mr. Pence. Granted, his position was an unenviable one, him being the only one on the panel in favor of reproductive cloning (or at least that's how it seemed to me).

First, Pence's debating style was...unpolished. I wanted to pull my teeth out listening to him. "Um, well, aaaa, well, um" etc, etc. This wouldn't have been so bad, except for the fact that Philip Kitcher was quite eloquent and persuasive.

Aside from my comments on Pence's debating skills I also have problems with the concept of reproductive cloning. Could someone please explain to me the utility of reproductive cloning? What are we talking about here, cloning a human and altering the genetic code so it is a body with no head, ripe and ready for harvesting?? That's mad science, and I think 99% of the population agrees that that's going to far. Or Mr. Pence's other stated desire for reproductive cloning- giving infertile couples an off spring that is genetically related to them. I don't really care about that (is that too harsh?). How does helping infertile couples advance the cause of life extension? It doesn't.

I just don't see the benefits in reproductive cloning and I think that by trying to push reproductive cloning we are giving all areas of cloning a bad name. (I know Caliban, reproductive and therapeutic cloning are completely different animals, but try telling that to the GOP)

As Mr Kitcher points out, therapeutic has much more potential than reproductive cloning. Injecting undifferenciated cells into different parts of the body offers hope for all kinds of cures. Why shouldn't we dedicate all of our resources to therapeutic cloning instead of wasting our time by dividing our resources between the two? If some one has a different perspective on this, please, try and change my mind. I am not against reproductive cloning for any moral or ethical reason. I simply view it as detrimental to our movement from a strategic point of view.

I just wanted to add, that I have read this entire thread and I haven't seen a single argument that convinces me that reproductive cloning is important to our movement.
Kissinger

Edited by Kissinger, 11 July 2003 - 07:13 PM.

#62 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 July 2003 - 07:11 PM

So let me give a valid example of "Investigative Cloning" that involves reproductive cloning.  In a separate topic, I posted an argument for the study of the rare genetic disorder called Progeria in order to pursue identification of the actual genes controlling the Aging process (Bio Clock) and also with an eye towards creating methods for manipulating those genes.  But there is a method that has been found using cloning that will offer a considerable amount of valuable information regardless of what results occur by applying the process.

If we first identify the specific area of the genome responsible for Progeria then we can "clone" the disorder in order to test first whether the gene damage reverses, indicating that mutation occurs as a developmental mutation ontologically, or if the mutation carries into the development of the cloned subject. 

This would help determine wherther we are dealing with a pure genetic mutation that is inheritable or a mutation that is occurring due to errors in the early developmental cycle and thus treatable.  Also we can examine the process at the same time with an eye to developing techniques that may offer a method of reprogramming our own biological clocks.  Much will be determined by answers we do not yet have, and now we can see the techniques necessary to arrive at this knowledge but many are afraid of this.

Banning ALL Reproductive Cloning means placing the development of these techniques back into obscurity, and like the resistence to Blood Transfusing that occured in the 17th and 18th century we could be setting our Medical Technology back centuries when we are very close to learning how to do this right.  Is this Scientifically Rational?  Or just another example of your famed "Real Politik"?

What do you mean when you say, "Clone the disorder"? Do you mean cloning kids with progeria? I don't think that's what you mean. I hope that's not what you mean. That would be a crime against humanity. When I say reproductive cloning I am mean making cloned people. How does making cloned people help our cause?

Is reproductive cloning really so important that we are willing to put our necks out there for it? Wouldn't it be better to make a tactical retreat and try to salvage therapeutic cloning?

I keep telling everyone here (and I don't think people get it) that reproductive cloning is going to be banned in the United States. The numbers are there for it. In fact, the only reason it hasn't been banned already is because the Republicans are being greedy and won't settle on a partial ban on just the reproductive, they want the whole kittenkaboodle.

Do you know what the Republican strategists are telling the GOP right now? Don't settle, period. All of the data is trending upward for the GOP. They figure that if they can't get a total ban now, they wait till after the 04 election when they have an even stronger hand.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 15 October 2003 - 07:16 PM

In response to the old post above that in fact was quoting me I will add that I was suggesting cloning the child with the disorder in order to study its development genetically in vitro and prenatally.

I was never suggesting that we take such a child to term, only part of the first trimester should be sufficient to offer enormously important data. I am explaining in a cold calculating manner why such a technique may offer valuable data and why the issues of therapeutic and reproductive can be rightly argued to have a "gray zone".

That said I am in general agreement that it is not politically viable at this time to make this the central issue and the reason I came to this thread today was to list two articles that are important to the topic and one overlaps reproductive cloning and the other GM foods and cloning. The subject even overlaps the looming global trade war and certainly the contradictory politics surround emerging tech in the food chain, third world economics and first world politics.

Also China launched a man successfully into space yesterday and also did a "triparent" fertilization with respect bioengineering. So in response to Caliban's criticism so long ago I think the evidence is mounting that they are becoming a serious contender in this field.

LL/kxs

Wired Magazine:
{excerpts}
http://image73.eguar...ent18897-0.html
(visit the links on the page)

Cloning Remains a Meaty Issue
By Kristen Philipkoski
02:00 AM Oct. 15, 2003 PT

The Food and Drug Administration soon will decide whether the meat in your Philly cheese steak or your barbecue spareribs could come from a cloned animal.

Because of safety concerns, the FDA has barred the handful of companies that clone farm animals from selling them for meat. But since early this year, those companies have been submitting data -- generated by independent research firms -- to the FDA.

The specifics of the data will remain confidential until Oct. 20 when the FDA plans to post the research online for public review. But the majority of companies say that, in general, the research shows no significant difference between regular and cloned animals, suggesting that cloned meat would be perfectly safe for human consumption. Consumer watchdog groups are skeptical, and say cloned meat should at least be labeled.

The FDA will hold a public meeting on the topic Nov. 4 at its Center for Veterinary Medicine in Rockville, Maryland.

"It's up to the FDA to determine (whether cloned meat is safe), but our research shows no material difference between non-cloned animals and cloned animals," said Ray Page, chief scientific officer of Cyagra, an agricultural cloning company and a recent spinoff of Advanced Cell Technology.

"All of the clones we have looked at, at ViaGen and Prolinia (a subsidy of ViaGen), have appeared to be just like normal animals," said Scott Davis, president of ViaGen, an animal genetics company.

A 2002 National Academy of Sciences report said there was no evidence that cloned meat was dangerous to eat, but more data was needed to be certain.

Public reaction to genetically modified foods in the United States is significantly milder than in Europe, where protests, some violent, are much more prevalent. But Mendelson said that's because most Americans are unaware that they're already eating genetically modified organisms.

One FDA focus group found that when Americans learned this fact, they were amazed and outraged.

But whether consumers want the information isn't the FDA's main concern. Rather, the agency must determine what risks exist and then decide how to manage them. Matheson said he hopes to achieve the first part of that goal at the Nov. 4 meeting, and the management part by January 2004.

Animal welfare is another concern. In cattle, from 10 percent to 50 percent of cloned embryos become healthy cows. The numbers can be much lower in other animals, and animal rights groups protest the fact that many clones that don't survive to adulthood are born sick and malformed.

The 2002 National Academy of Sciences report was more concerned about the environmental impact of cloned animals than the potential health effects upon people who might eat clones. The scientists said the potential for cloned or genetically engineered animals to escape into the wild is worrisome.

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/3189718.stm
{BBC Scinece excerpts}
Tuesday, 14 October, 2003
Foetus with three parents created

The technique is banned in Britain A controversial IVF technique could see babies being born with three parents, scientists have suggested.

Experts in China say they have created embryos using eggs from two women and sperm from one man. The embryos were implanted into a 30-year-old Chinese women with fertility problems.

While she suffered a miscarriage, scientists believe the technique could help other women. It is the first time scientists have used the technique since it was outlawed in the United States in 1998. The procedure is also banned in the UK.

The woman had previously undergone two IVF cycles. However, these failed because of problems with her eggs.

Eggs fused

Scientists at Sun Yat-Sen University, in Guangzhou, tried to overcome this problem by fusing the woman's egg with one from another woman.

Eggs consist of a nucleus which holds most of their DNA and surrounding material called the cytoplasm. This type of experiment couldn't be carried out in the UK said a HFEA spokeswoman

Scientists removed the DNA material from the donor egg leaving just the cytoplasm. They then put the nucleus of the patient's egg into the donor egg, in a process called human nuclear transfer.

These fused eggs were then fertilised with the man's sperm. In all, the scientists transferred five of the three-parent embryos into the woman. She subsequently became pregnant with triplets. One month into the pregnancy, doctors aborted one foetus to give the remaining two a better chance of survival.

However, the remaining two were both delivered prematurely and died at four and five months into the pregnancy respectively. The scientists said the deaths were not related to the IVF technique they used, but rather due to complications as a result of a multiple pregnancy.

They believe the technique could be invaluable to women whose eggs are not healthy enough to support a normal pregnancy. However, critics have attacked the experiment and accused the scientists of taking a major step towards human cloning.

"The potential for abuse of this type of technique could be mind-blowing," a spokesman for pro-life group Life said.

The technology behind the Chinese experiment was developed in the United States.

#64 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:09 PM

Regardless of where you live in the world it is time to reach out and touch someone. This is an old issue that is now back on a front burner and threatens a global ban on therapeutic as well as reproductive cloning if the wrong bill (the Bush Backed Costa Rica initiative) gets passed.

LL

http://story.news.ya...man_cloning&e=5
U.N. to Debate Anti-Cloning Treaty
Science - AP
By EDITH M. LEDERER, Associated Press Writer

UNITED NATIONS - The highly contentious issue of cloning is back on the U.N. agenda, with support among member states for a treaty banning human cloning but divisions over the use of human embryos for medical research.

The U.N. General Assembly's legal committee begins a two-day debate Thursday that will focus on rival resolutions: Costa Rica's draft calls for a treaty that would ban all cloning while Belgium's draft calls for a treaty that would ban the cloning of babies but allow countries to decide on using embryos for research, which many scientists believe may lead to new treatments for diseases.

Last November, the legal committee voted 80-79 to delay consideration of a cloning treaty for two years, a move requested by Islamic nations. In December, the General Assembly decided without a vote to delay the discussion of a global treaty for just one year.

Costa Rica's U.N. Ambassador Bruno Stagno Ugarte said Wednesday his resolution has 62 co-sponsors including the United States, but "the divide that was there is still there."

"We are convinced that we enjoy a clear majority. However, and I think we must be realistic here, we still face the specter of some type of procedural vote as a way of avoiding our responsibilities to address an urgent and important matter," he said in an interview.

"We believe it's extremely urgent, and the fact that in South Korea, in a veterinary school, they have had the most success in human cloning is extremely worrisome," Stagno Ugarte said.

South Korean scientists announced in February they had cloned an embryo and extracted the stem cells from it, and Britain granted its first license for human cloning for stem cell research in August. Both countries are among the 22 co-sponsors of the Belgian resolution which would authorize a committee to draft a convention banning reproductive cloning of human beings without "any reservations."

It would also require all countries that adopted the treaty to ensure that the results of "therapeutic cloning" — the use of human embryos for medical research — are not used to advance human cloning. But Stagno Ugarte questioned whether even the most stringent protocols to prevent such use would work when there is such a huge "black market for organs, for corpses from the morgues."

Belgian diplomat Marc Pecsteen de Buytswerve said his country is aware that cloning "is a very difficult problem" and said his supporters "still hope to engage the other side in a dialogue to find some way out to a consensus."

Stagno Ugarte said both sides are talking and "nobody has closed the doors to a compromise."

But he said any compromise must recognize "that human cloning in all its forms is contrary to human dignity" — a point emphasized in the draft resolution. It states that "human cloning, for any purpose whatsoever, is unethical, morally reproachable and contrary to due respect for the human person and that it cannot be justified or accepted."

The Roman Catholic Church and anti-abortion groups, which support the Costa Rican draft, say embryonic stem cell research is tantamount to murder because it starts with the destruction of a human embryo to recover the cells.

Costa Rica and the Vatican argue that adult stem cells — including from umbilical cords and placentas — can be used to search for cures for many diseases.

Belgium's Pecsteen said "adult stem cells are worth exploring, but embryonic seems much more promising."

"So both should be explored, but one is not a replacement for the other," he said.countless millions of people."

The Belgian resolution "clearly represents the mainstream of scientific and medical thinking in the United States and worldwide," he said.

#65 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 06:11 PM

Here is another good reason to beat the Bushes

U.S. Urges U.N. to Ban All Human Cloning
Fri Oct 22, 9:14 PM ET Science - AP
By BARBARA BORST, Associated Press Writer

UNITED NATIONS - Countries opposed to all forms of human cloning — the United States among them — warned on Friday that cloning to create stem cells for research could lead to the exploitation of women, and they urged U.N. members to vote to ban it.

U.S. Special Adviser Susan Moore joined Kenya and Nigeria in arguing that if therapeutic cloning were permitted for medical research, it could create a market for the sale of human eggs, a market in which poor women could be exploited.

"The international community must act now ... to send a clear message that human cloning is an affront to human dignity that cannot be tolerated," Moore said.
http://story.news.ya...man_cloning&e=5
(excerpt)

And the whole world is watching....

and waiting

At least until after the election to establish policy in relation to the US for both markets and politics I am afraid. It won't be the *foreign* terrorists getting appeased by Kerry being elected, it will domestic fundamentalist social terrorists getting appeased by a Bush victory IMO.

http://story.news.ya...e_cloning_un_dc

UN Cloning Treaty on Hold Until After U.S. Election
Fri Oct 22, 4:30 PM ET Science - Reuters
By Irwin Arieff

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The Bush administration on Friday urged quick U.N. action on a global treaty to ban all cloning of human embryos, including for medical research, but diplomats said the measure would go nowhere before the Nov. 2 U.S. elections.

With support for the U.S. stance faltering in the General Assembly's treaty-writing Legal Committee, Washington hopes to avoid an embarrassing loss just days before the election, the diplomats said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Even if they had the votes to win at the United Nations (news - web sites), the emotional issue divides U.S. voters and could harm President Bush (news - web sites)'s re-election prospects, they said.

A proposal for a U.N. treaty banning human cloning has been bottled up in the United Nations since 2001, with the world body's 191 member-nations deeply divided on the issue.

All U.N. members essentially agree on a convention that would ban the cloning of human beings.

But a group of 63 nations, led by the United States and Costa Rica, want an expanded treaty that would ban both the cloning of humans and the cloning of human embryos for stem cell or similar research, known as "therapeutic cloning."

That has put Washington on a collision course with a rival group of countries -- including close allies Britain, Japan, South Korea (news - web sites), India and Turkey -- who are pushing for a treaty banning only the cloning of human beings.

That group would leave it to individual governments to decide whether to allow therapeutic cloning.

NO HASTY ACTION

The Legal Committee, in a setback for the Bush White House, decided last year by a one-vote margin to delay the writing of any international treaty on cloning, concluding it would be unwise to begin the process when there was no international consensus on its goals.

Since then, several blocs have announced their opposition to a new vote this year, if the committee remains divided.

These include the 60-nation Organization of the Islamic Conference and the 12-country Southern African Development Community in the international community.

"We shall not be party to any decision that will have us act hastily without measuring the benefits that medical science can provide to improve the quality of life of our people," Ambassador Alfred Dube of Botswana told the committee, speaking on behalf of the 12-nation southern African bloc.

Advocates of the use of cloned human embryos for research argue the technique holds out the hope of a cure for hundreds of millions of people with such diseases as Alzheimer's, cancer, diabetes and spinal cord damage.

But Washington and others backing a broad U.N. treaty banning all forms of cloning see therapeutic cloning as the taking of human life.

"A ban that differentiates between human reproductive and experimental cloning would essentially authorize the creation of a human embryo for the purpose of destroying it, thus elevating the value of research and experimentation above that of a human life," U.S. special adviser Susan Moore, a Texas lawyer and consultant, told the U.N. panel.

"Future generations need us to act today on our values, principles and convictions," she said.

Moroccan U.N. Ambassador Mohamed Bennouna, the committee chairman, told Reuters he planned to meet informally with the two sides next week in hopes of narrowing their differences.

"We will try to find some common ground," he said.

• Lurker

Posted 24 October 2004 - 01:56 AM

This is why among other reasons, it's vitally important we remove the Bush administration from office.

It is not one man that impedes progress, but it his far right administration, from his appointed representatives to his bioethicists all of them are slanted so conservatively and with such masked religious vigour that they could seriously impede world progress in this field in the near future. People die while others grapple over the ethics (mainly religious beliefs) that push them to globally ban this potentially life saving venue for research and treatment. President Bush believes he is a pro-life candidate but he executed more people as governor of Texas, than people were executed in any other single state at the time. The contradictions and hypocrisy are endless. Senator Kerry is not perfect, but to put it bluntly he is not President Bush.

In reflection I think of Thomas Jefferson who was a president and a forefather of the US, he was apparently a deist and critical of evangelicals who badgered him as he ran for office. He had not-so-secret criticisms of Christianity at the time, granted he believed that Jesus originally preeched proper ethics and morality. People easily forget this when praising him and others forefathers.

Excuse my political post, but I can't help voice my disgust and I realize it's likely the future will look upon these regressive ultimately futile actions to impede progress in a poor light.

p.s. I found an interesting webpage while searching webpages about Thomas Jefferson. http://www.nobeliefs.com/

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#67 randolfe

• 439 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 03:48 AM

Reading some of the postings here remind me of why I got bogged down in defending reproductive cloning.

You can't separate the two. they are both based on the same technology. The religious right tries to confuse the issues, to play on all the science fiction nonsense that has frightened people since Frankenstein.

The same people who rave against cloning also rave against Frankenfoods! They will be the first to rave against us. They will say we are "playing God!" We better be "playing God" because there is no God to take the role.

No one proposes growing bodies without heads for spare parts or growing human beings to chop them up for parts.

Spanton's lack of sympathy for infertile couples shows that he has never met them. These people sit back and watch all their friends have kids. They try and try. They fail and fail. Their infertility is their big dark secret. That is why you never met any.

I have met hundreds. They are so desparate to have "their own children" just like Mother Nature so unfairly allows everyone else to do so, that they spend between $10,000 and $30,000 per cycle and ultimately no matter how many times they try, three-quarters of them fail

"Why don't they adopt?" That is what one good Christian man suggested to me during one debate, echoing an often-heard argument. He had four children of his own. Why hadn't he just had three of his own and adopted someone else's unwanted child if he wanted to give needy orphans a home.

I have the right to reproduce myself in a manner of my own choosing. If I want to have a later-born twin of myself, someone with whom I would have an especially close and understanding relationship with, who are a bunch of politicians at the state or federal level to tell me that I cannot.

I have had the opportunity to try. I declined. It is too dangerous at this time. I warn infertile couples about fraudulent groups like the Raelians. I tell that cloning at this time is too dangerous. I personally would not want to see a later-born twin of myself born with a disability. I am also too old, age 66, to responsibly undertake single parenthood.

One of the Clone Rights United Front members is a heterosexual man who is himself an identical twin. He makes a very interesting argument: "Why should I have to go out and get involved with another person and mix my genes with theirs just to reproduce?"

He has to at this time because only the cloning of females has shown to be possible. Not only did the breakthrough come, but the embryos were robust when they finally figured out how to use a new technique creating them.

I used to get in trouble with other cloning activists for using the term "partial temporary immortality".

It would be "partial" because only my genotype would live on, the formula that is/was me. That would only be my later-born twin. That is not the same person as me.

It would be partial because 25 genes out of 30,000 would come to me as a male using a female's egg. We don't know how important those genes are but some have been linked to specific diseases. There is an institute in Los Angeles that studies just those diseases.

However, with the recent success in Korea, they used a woman's own cell and her own egg. You therefore can produce a perfect 100% genetic twin if you are a fertile female and can produce your own eggs. Single women, heterosexual and homosexual, who have never met a man they thought was fit to be the father of their child, are one of the most enthusiastic groups embracing reproductive cloning.

Cloning would be "temporary" because my later born twin might well opt to reproduce the old-fashioned way. That is certainly more fun. It is cheaper. It is easier. It gives a loving couple the feeling of greater involvement and of merging together in producing children. Parenthood is much easier when two people share it.

Those opposed to reproductive cloning accuse us of "trying to achieve immortality". It is considered immoral to attempt to achieve immortality. For tactical reasons, I denied trying to do so and yet Time Magazine said I was hinting at my "real motives" when I said I could thumb my nose at Mr. Death saying: "you might get me. But you are not going to get all of me. My genotype is going to live on into another lifetime. However, my genotype's living on would deny death its traditional totality.

For that matter, if that is important to me, then that constitutes my basic beliefs about life and death. Reproductive cloning is part of my religious belief system. My right to clone myself is part of my right to religious liberty as well as central to my reproductive rights.

Now, let's lighten up a bit. Why is everyone so upset with the idea of having her/himself cloned?

"One of me is enough" was quipped at me while leafleting a biotech conference last Thursday. That is one of the most frequent comments I have heard during nearly eight years as a pro-cloning activist.

Are people so filled with self-hate? I've had people scream in terror at the very idea. I'm not lying either. That is why; I loved the first poem ever written about human cloning. It was much "in their face" when it came to the "egotist" question. I loved its spirit. Here it is...(the link is long dead.)

Someday there will be another me :-)

Posted by Glenn Alexander , Apr 01,2000,12:48 Post Reply Forum
Someday there will be another me
or maybe two
or maybe three.
I look forward to then with glee
cause I love
the idea of me.
And if there's ever four or more
I will thank the world galore
cause then I'll give
and get from life