Photo
- - - - -

Recommendations for Organic Chemistry?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:28 AM

I'm looking for a good introductory book on o-chem. Any suggestions? Academic level is fine as long as it reads fairly well for someone trying to pick up the concepts without a professor.

#2 John Schloendorn

• Guest, Advisor, Guardian
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:46 PM

I found Vollhardt & Schore very useful. It comes with examples and exercises for each chapter that are good for self-teaching.

#3 maestro949

• Topic Starter
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:38 PM

Thanks. Just ordered it along with the student guide & solutions.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 08:03 PM

I had an absolutely great book for intro Organic Chem. I'll try to dig through my old books to see if I still have it (though they're in storage)

#5 maestro949

• Topic Starter
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:05 PM

Thanks John. Excellent book. I like how they dive right into the material.

#6 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:39 PM

Crap - I forgot all about this. Thanks for bumping.

#7 maestro949

• Topic Starter
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:44 AM

No problem Q. The one John mentioned is packed w/detail and will keep me busy for awhile though I can't seem to get more than 6 pages at a time digested before I doze off! If nothing else I found a problem for my insomnia. :)

#8 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:56 AM

Are you taking Organic Chemistry?

I learned that having a textbook that teaches each topic a different way than the prof (who often teach out of the book) REALLY helps.

#9 maestro949

• Topic Starter
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:13 AM

Are you taking Organic Chemistry?

No. Not as a course as in college. I'm just learning it on my own. Not interested in credit, just the knowledge, concepts & being able to speak the language. While having a professor and classroom setting can help most, I often struggle with the pace of learning being spread out in an academic setting. Furthermore the tedium of memorizing details for the sake of a grade and credit just doesn't motivate me. There has to be an attainable goal and defined problem statement for me to take an interest in diving into something as monotonous as o-chem.

I learned that having a textbook that teaches each topic a different way than the prof (who often teach out of the book) REALLY helps.

Agreed a variety of learning tools is key. There's some pretty good software floating about the web too that allows you to visualize the 3D chem structures as well as source code for many simulations too. Pretty cool.

#10 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:46 PM

Yeah, that wasn't there when I was taking the courses.

And stereoimages were just becoming popular when I was in biochemistry. Those wonders really helped visualise the issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users