• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

2006 Singularity Challenge

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 th3hegem0n

• 379 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:58 PM

2006 Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence Challenge has been met and exceeded, the grand total coming to

$100,500

Special thanks to Peter Thiel for his $100,000 matching contribution, and over 150 donors who made it all possible.

Wish I could have done more to help out.

Good job guys.

• Lurker

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:35 PM

I love the design of that web page. How is the money to be used?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,146 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:56 PM

Congratulations to Singinst! May your superintelligent creations be forever....hmmm....superintelligent.

#4 reason

• Guardian Reason
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:43 PM

SI is doing well these days, and deservedly so; one could do worse than watching closely the way in which they are working behind the scenes to obtain backing and professionalize their operations.

#5 th3hegem0n

• Topic Starter
  • 379 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:54 PM

The Challenge funds will partially underwrite our new employment opportunities, the initiation of the Future of Humanity Forum at Stanford, and the production and promotion of the Stanford Singularity Summit at Stanford Memorial Auditorium: our free conference on May 13 to educate up to 1700 people in the Silicon Valley Bay Area about the singularity hypothesis. The Summit website where tickets can be reserved in advance is forthcoming.

Also, I can't find where I read this, but they will also be doing an overhaul of their website design and content.

• Lurker

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:55 PM

one could do worse than watching closely the way in which they are working behind the scenes to obtain backing and professionalize their operations.

indeed..

#7 th3hegem0n

• Topic Starter
  • 379 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:09 AM

[edit]
...whoops.

Edited by th3hegem0n, 21 February 2006 - 04:29 PM.

#8 Infernity

• 3,322 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:22 AM

Oh congrats! I knew this will happen soon. Great news!

-Infernity

#9 Karomesis

• 1,010 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:21 AM

I will pause for a moment of bittersweet reflection .

Congrats to singinst. [thumb] My hat goes off to you. Although truth be told I often think of us humans as playing with the parts to a wonderful creation whos very manufacture defies our understanding, it has the power to make even our wildest dreams become reality, but could also make our entire existence a horrifying nightmare from which we would never awake. Humans are easy to predict, a SI, by its very nature is impossible for us to completely predict. Indeed, I sincerely hope the fellows over there really know what they're doing. [mellow]

sponsored ad

• Advert

#10 MichaelAnissimov

• 905 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 12:34 PM

What a fast-growing org. Though it doesn't match the MMP's $2M, $200K is hardly peanuts. But if the Singularity is a success? Imagine the donors' bragging rights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users