• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Summary of Events

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:48 PM

The ImmInst Constitution doesn't have a provision for banning members for identity fraud with intent to promote commercial products. Otherwise, this would be a permanent ban.

It does have a provision for prohibiting malicious attacks. Also, "spamming" is mentioned as an example of malicious attacks, and the type of viral marketing that LifeMirage/uniquenutrition engaged in could be considered spam (unwanted, unsolicited commercial advertising, well above and beyond the overt advertising that we're aware of and have tolerated). This latter case is sufficiently strong in theory to ban permanently, but it would be a much more difficult case to try.

Besides, a year is an eternity on the internet. If they want to come back after a year, they will have to be moderated, provide disclaimers up the wazoo, and try to win back people's trust, which I doubt they can do. At any rate, who knows if the nootropics forum will even still be here in a year.

#32 JonesGuy

• 1,183 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:50 PM

Well, if we're successful, LifeMirage too will be a fellow immortal. And, he will be a member of our society forever (society can means anything: country, continent, economic communty, etc.). This means that we cannot forever close the door to him, because the impact of his crime will diminish over time to the point where the lie we're tempted to tell (in 1000 years) will have more of an immediate impact than this serial deception.

We cannot forever remove someone from our community, only sanction them to improve their behaviour. Why? Because I don't want to be ever removed permanently from a society. The potential for rehabilitation must always be present.

#33 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:46 PM

We cannot forever remove someone from our community, only sanction them to improve their behaviour. Why? Because I don't want to be ever removed permanently from a society. The potential for rehabilitation must always be present.

Although this doesn't justify deceitful and other criminal behavior in the present, if we survive transhuman intelligence it'll be much easier to perceive how trivial human differences are. But the least we can still do is invent reasonable punishments to maximize prevention and understand that it sucks to be something over which we don't yet have 100% control.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:53 PM

Which reminds me that life sentences and death penalties, that are despicable already in the present, just make even less sense. Re-education and related methods could be far better.

Or maybe uploading, carry out some bug-solving and downloading again …. :)

#35 kevink

• 184 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:28 PM

The ImmInst Constitution doesn't have a provision for...

I think it's a great sign that the Leadership takes the constitution so seriously. That's Excellent.

As the organization matures, these fine points will become increasingly difficult and yet crucial to the institute's existence.

I also suspect some constitutional amendments will be put in place. [lol]

#36 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:36 PM

I notice that the long insulting sig that was put on all LM posts has been changed and now reads:

"Lee Crost M.D.

Currently a Health Consultant on http://brainmeta.com/forum/index.php"

Does that mean that Imminst has found evidence that he is indeed Lee Crost just as he said he was? If so, why is he still suspended? Why hasn't this been made public?

#37 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:39 PM

LifeMirage changed the signature himself (he was still able to access his account to a limited degree even though he was suspended). Its being taken care of as we speak.

#38 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:45 PM

OMFG Lee Crost denied ever posting under the screen name LireMirage....no?

#39 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:52 PM

Of course he did, but I guess that fact remains lost on some people...

#40 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:24 PM

I asked a simple logical question, that's all. I brought it to everyone's attention, you should thank me.

#41 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:40 PM

Thanks, it has been dealt with. [thumb]

#42 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:23 PM

I notice that the long insulting sig that was put on all LM posts has been changed

I really don't want to comment on this topic; I am trying to remain as positive as possible.

I do not think the signature the Institute put on Edward's posts is as "insulting" as it is protecting readers of this forum from being potentially mislead.

Peace.

#43 doug123

• 2,424 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:57 AM

One thing that I hope most members glean from this post is that the process to ban LifeMirage was long and drawn-out with much discussion and deliberation. It took nearly a month for the whole thing to be completed. Similar to the banning of Adam Kamil, it took a lot of lies and other malfeasance to finally get a majority of directors and leadership to ban LifeMirage…..and it isn’t over yet. Kamil was given a public trial to defend himself and it appears LifeMirage will also be given that opportunity. Therefore any evidence any other members may have for or against LifeMirage should be brought forth.

I forgot about this topic for a while, but would like to defend myself from the libelous claim posted above by mind; if this statement is ImmInst's official stance on this issue, I would like to see the evidence that suggests I lied to any member of this community.

Thank you.

• Lurker

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:11 AM

One thing that I hope most members glean from this post is that the process to ban LifeMirage was long and drawn-out with much discussion and deliberation. It took nearly a month for the whole thing to be completed. Similar to the banning of Adam Kamil, it took a lot of lies and other malfeasance to finally get a majority of directors and leadership to ban LifeMirage…..and it isn’t over yet. Kamil was given a public trial to defend himself and it appears LifeMirage will also be given that opportunity. Therefore any evidence any other members may have for or against LifeMirage should be brought forth.

I forgot about this topic for a while, but would like to defend myself from the libelous claim posted above by mind; if this statement is ImmInst's official stance on this issue, I would like to see the evidence that suggests I lied to any member of this community.

Thank you.

Having reviewed the leadership material related to your "banning" I could see no evidence of deception playing a role.

#45 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,074 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:24 PM

I think the statement is technically correct. I said the two cases were "similar" not exact. Also, covering your tracks and destroying evidence is a form of deception.

Still "lies" does have a different connotation, maybe more negative. Perhaps deception or "deleting forums posts" would have been better.

Adam, if you find anything else that seems too extreme or in error, please let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users