Photo
- - - - -

omega 3-s

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 orangish

• 264 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:35 AM

This may have cycled through some threads here--but I unfortunately at the moment don't have time to do the adequate research. Anyhow, which is better for possibly some brain development problems and inattentive attention deficit? The reseach I've been through suggests high EPA (but that DHA is used for developing problems). It seems to me that maybe part of my cognitive problems are developmental (I've had terrible malnutrition in the past, and since I'm only 20, I'm wondering if the benefits of DHA might apply to me as well). It would be great to get some opinions, because its hard to sort out the facts from the contradictions in the research.
Thanks.

#2 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 02:41 AM

The available evidence heavily favors the use of EPA over DHA for mental deficits. If I recall correctly, high intake of DHA is only really critical for brain development during the first few years of life. In particular, EPA has shown to be much more effective than DHA for attention deficit disorder. It is thought that taking similar amounts of EPA and DHA are counterproductive because the DHA displaces EPA in the brain and performs less effectively than EPA would. Thus a high ratio of EPA to DHA is desirable.

A great cost effective fish oil for your purposes would be Omega 3 Mood by Country Life. iherb.com sells it for $15 for 90 caps (500mg EPA and 75mg DHA per cap).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 orangish

• Topic Starter
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the info. Funkodyssey.
Apparently my friend has some LEF EPA/DHA that they're willing to let me use. I'm wondering if it would be worth shelling out some additional supplements for the additional benefits of high EPA, or at the moment if EPA/DHA would do the job?

#4 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:16 PM

For years, the medical establishment told us it was an old wives tale and not true that fish was brain food. Now we find out the old wives were smarter than we though.

#5 orangish

• Topic Starter
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

Or the majority who forward the "tale" aka science etc are dumber than we refuse to believe.

#6 ahnenerbe

• 18 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:58 PM

So what's the best EPA/DHA ratio one should look for in an Omega-3 supplement? More EPA or more DHA?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:22 PM

As I posted before, for ADD/ADHD the best ratio so far established is 4:1 (EPA:DHA). That should also apply to the general public.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users