• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

people faking social anxiety and depression.

fake

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

I  feel like people are  faking all of the symptons and overplaying their feelings, like it's just a phase.

this is what I feel 90% of people with depression n anxiety do.

• Ill informed x 4
  • Disagree x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Needs references x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#2 jaiho

• 521 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:29 PM

Alot of people don't have severe depression, they just feel shit about their situation in life, and look for a magic pill to resolve it.

But depression and anxiety is very real, especially if suffered for most of their life. It's just the hand some of us are dealt, and genetics play a large role.

• Agree x 2
  • Needs references x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

Alot of people don't have severe depression, they just feel shit about their situation in life, and look for a magic pill to resolve it.

But depression and anxiety is very real, especially if suffered for most of their life. It's just the hand some of us are dealt, and genetics play a large role.

if genetics played a role their brothers would have it, their mother etc.. they are just overreacting and seeking attention.

• Ill informed x 2
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#4 Deaden

• 232 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:58 PM

Dumbass.

• Agree x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#5 jaiho

• 521 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:10 PM

if genetics played a role their brothers would have it, their mother etc.. they are just overreacting and seeking attention.

Never talk in absolutes when it comes to mental illness.

A sibling might have the genes for depression, another may not. Its never for certain. Same with the parents.

• Agree x 3
  • Needs references x 1

#6 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:26 PM

I sometimes feel like "sane" people are more depressed than me even though I'm the really depressed one. Idk I guess suffering from a real depression for 12 years has teached me to be more thankful when I have a good day/mood and/or appreciate/used to love little things in life easier. "Normal" people can whine on and on about their problems/issues (I think because they're used to have someone's acknowledgment/consolation/attention or whatever fill-in) that their negativity affects/depresses me more, that's one of the reasons why I always regret socializing when I really try my best to do so.

Edited by YoungSchizo, 31 August 2017 - 06:28 PM.

• unsure x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#7 hydrus

• 98 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

this is really nonsense IMO. Most chronic illnesses and this includes mental illnesses have a partially genetic cause and a partially environmental cause.

It is well known that mental illnesses run in families.

If you share specifc depression genes with your parents you may have a let's say a 50% chance of developing major depression but it will need a certain trigger to develop it something that is coming from the outside and has nothing to do with your genetic code.

What exactly this is, is unknown at this point.

A lot of people who do not understand what mental illness is think they suffer from it. They hear the word depression and think it means being sad or down. Then they will self-diagnose with depression when they have a few bad days and when they recover from it they will think they can lecture others on how to recover from a mental illness.

Pop culture expressions like being depressed or being OCD or schizo are fairly common. Often people who use these do not understand the illnesses they are referring to.

I do not think anyone is faking these except for a tiny minority who think psychiatric labels make them cool or interesting.

Some who claim to suffer from a mental illness may have relatively minor symptoms and these days it is extremely easy to get (mis)diagnosed with a mental disorder because there is a lot of money to be made in selling drugs.

Everyone has had a pimple but few suffer from serious face scarring acne. Since mental illness is not visible you can reason I have had a pimple therefore I understand what acne is.

Edited by hydrus, 01 September 2017 - 12:06 PM.

• Agree x 2
  • Needs references x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#8 Sleepdealer

• 144 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:24 PM

You've got the genetics part wrong. Everyone is born with different variations of genes. That is why your brothers or sisters don't look exactly like you and why someone in a family may or may not have a specific disease while the others don't, or why some other family members may only display hints of those traits.

Edited by Sleepdealer, 02 September 2017 - 10:28 PM.

• Needs references x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users